• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoundSand

Banned
The issue with Jason Schreier is that he's not a journalist, but an influencer.

I have no respect for someone who covers only certain issues in the gaming industry but not others. Is crunch bad? Is sexual harassment bad? Sure. But here's other important topics that he never gave much attention:

- Sony's censorship agenda (limiting creative freedom, mis-handling of Japanese devs, killing some devs, etc)
- Alex Holowka's suicide, caused by Zoe Quinn and her Court of public Opinion
- Genshin Impact supporting China so much as to ban a Vtuber's name from being typed in-game
- 3rd-parties' (especially Japaneseo ones') reluctance to support the Switch despite its enormous install base
- a general article about Resetera's toxicity and bad influence on the whole industry; no matter how you see Resetera, one community shouldn't get so much influence

And other topics I'm forgetting at the moment.

Jason picks and choose, based on his own agenda, and that's what makes him a bad journalist. Imagine a real journalist choosing not cover child abuse by priests because you don't care about, but then write a big story about the sinking numbers of church goers. That's Jason Schreier. As a journalist, you'd talk about EVERYTHING, and if you had to pick and choose, you'd be more careful about your priorities. Therefore: Fuck Schreier.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
"As she finished typing that last dot, she ran her hand through her turquoise hair that had already lost any fresh glimmer and gotten darker from sweat, exuding a strong, unpleasant odor that she was long immune to. She was immune to anything, really. A big sigh, followed by some involuntary grunt, as her obese nose wouldn't let free the air as easily as it normally would. Easy. Normal. She was none of that. Ever since she had decided to be a woman, she was fighting the world. A fight that would only grow more intense when she also chose to be lesbian. Non-binary. Male sometimes, female other times. And she felt another revelation swelling up inside of her that would materialize itself in the following weeks. She knew it and was excited what it'd be. Maybe pansexuality? Maybe joining the polyamory community? Demi-sexual sounded so cool, she remembered that word from watching the Digimon-anime. But it didn't really matter, it never did. Because at the end of everything, one fact would remain: That she is a fighter. Fuck the police, fuck those who refuse to accept that black people get to say words that others don't. Fuck those white cis men that oppose having sex with a trans woman! And fuck all game developers, movie makers and book authors that refuse to make their fictional stories all about trans representation. Because that's what she ultimately fought for: Representation in fiction. Every day she goes to bed with tears in her eyes and wakes up the next morning with crusty lids, because of how much all those video games, movies and books hurt her and her online-friends. She vividly remembers that day when Chris Redfield wouldn't tell Jill "Sorry, Valentine, but I'm gay. So gay.". She remembers when Link in Breath of the Wild wasn't female; spent the whole night crying into her pillow. And noone could ever imagine the hurt and grief when it was revealed that Cyberpunk 2077, the biggest game of the year, featured a woman with a cybernetic dick on in-game adverts. Even the one openly trans-character in the game never once said "I'm trans! Player, look at me. I'm trans!" and that broke that final something inside her. She's a fighter. She'll always be. But that must wait until the evening. It's 10am, she woke up a couple minutes ago, and her friends are about to ring her appartment's door. She'll go out, have fun, enjoy some high class education at university, eat delicious food and plan for all the fun things she can imagine. Her life is the best it could be. But that's only on the outside. Once she's back home, in front of her computer, she'll return to her true self and fight this dark, nasty world. Because she's a fighter."

mariah-carey-applause.gif

PoundSand

Banned
For those that don't look, it's exactly as you imagine.

I mean, I'm 35 and live with my partents. It's a bs thing to attack someone for. When there's a big house and it'd be empty otherwise, gives me low rent advantage, plus I don't hate my parents, why not? It's actually a big problem that we have fostered a society where young people feel forced to move out from home, even when that often times makes no sense and just costs lots of money. If you're still living in your child room inside your parent's appartment, sure, then it's time to move out. But when there's plenty of room? Nah.

So much for my "living at home with parents at age 30+" defense :p

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ban him! Ban him! Ban him!

That's exactly what mobs in that forum do. It feels horrible being part of that community, if you don't side with their views you're seen like shit, if you side with them you're forced to do some evil shit on others to survive. A true survival game.

Last edited:
He was an uncool kid desperate for recognition and tried to get in with "the cool kids" on Resetera. The tolerated him just because he would kiss ass and tell them what they wanted to hear. He constantly overestimated his "Popularity" and they kept slapping him with bans to keep him in line.

jHeV3hZ.png

Until there was a dogpile he could not resist joining and tried to make to make an alt just to join in because he could not wait a week or so for his current ban to expire.

Posted on GAF without the protected status he had earned on Resetera.

Was a dick.

Got permabanned.
This right here is why I left. Look at those ban reasons. That first MS comment and a ban? You're fucking adults, not children. You can't deal with a simple joke? Also Notre Flame is kinda clever and absolutely ridiculous that someone was banned over it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm stunned how many people my age live with their parents still

Like maaaaaaybe early twenties... but jesus

Then they sit around all day spending their money on weed and wondering why they cant afford residency somewhere else
To be honest, this stuff is pretty normal in Europe. I mean I was also with my parents after transplant, but since my 22 years of age I lived alone or with some girl, now enjoying....so far....living with GF. But I don't necessarily view people who lives with their families as failures. But I guess it's down to, what kind of living you can have there, etc. Also it's probably cultural thing.

nush

Seeing TransEra trying to get Poodlestrike canceled for telling one of them to "pound sand" only for it to end with half of TransEra getting told to pound sand.....permanently

giphy-downsized-large.gif

better still from the outside the ones we identified as trolls have backed right out so they don't get clipped.

Kayhan

And seeing TransEra trying to play 34D chess with the ResetEra staff at the instigation of KetKat to try to get her perm ban overturned only for it to completely blow up in their face and causing half of their community to get banned and their power permanently diminished is just a topkek ResetEra moment 🤣

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
So Poodlestrike is the ultimate ban baiter it seems? Got half of transEra that couldn't control themselves banned with two words. I guess that's why he's a mod.

nush

So Poodlestrike is the ultimate ban baiter it seems? Got half of transEra that couldn't control themselves banned with two words. I guess that's why he's a mod.

Nope, black Era mods teamed up. Losing too much ground in the oppression ladder. It's all two sides of the same coin.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Last edited:

:messenger_medmask:

:messenger_dizzy:
They got some serious issues over there.

Guilty_AI

Those are the important bits:

How to stop chickens from pecking each other

Alleviate boredom:
Allow the flock some supervised free range time.
Hang a cabbage or apple in the run for them to peck at.
Dump some grass clippings or weeds in the run for the flock to eat and dig through. Dried leaves with a handful of scratch mixed in works well also.

Separation:
Separating the worst pickers for a short amount of time can help to restore harmony to the flock especially if it is a pecking order issue.

Pinless peepers:
These silly looking blinders keep the chickens from pecking each other by blocking their vision...which could be a problem if they free range and forage for bugs often, but is very effective for preventing feather picking.

Blu-Kote:
Chickens tend to peck at blood or anything red colored for that matter. Blu-Kote is a blue colored antiseptic that is applied to the red area. By applying Blu-Kote, the area turns purple and the chickens lose interest in pecking at it. Will need reapplied every few days.

Proper nutrition:
If the reason your chickens are pecking at each other is because of low protein levels, then switching their feed will alleviate the problem. You could also add protein to their diets by offering mealworms, scrambled eggs or black oil sunflower seeds.

Separate ill chickens: Move sick or injured chickens to their own area to keep them safe while they recover. I use a dog crate inside the coop for injuries and non contagious illnesses.

It really depends on which shows he's watching, but of course he probably doesn't watch that many shows before the 1990's.

belmarduk

I have no respect for someone who covers only certain issues in the gaming industry but not others. Is crunch bad? Is sexual harassment bad? Sure. But here's other important topics that he never gave much attention:

- Sony's censorship agenda (limiting creative freedom, mis-handling of Japanese devs, killing some devs, etc)
- Genshin Impact supporting China so much as to ban a Vtuber's name from being typed in-game
- 3rd-parties' (especially Japaneseo ones') reluctance to support the Switch despite its enormous install base
- a general article about Resetera's toxicity and bad influence on the whole industry; no matter how you see Resetera, one community shouldn't get so much influence

Jason picks and choose, based on his own agenda, and that's what makes him a bad journalist. Imagine a real journalist choosing not cover child abuse by priests because you don't care about, but then write a big story about the sinking numbers of church goers. That's Jason Schreier. As a journalist, you'd talk about EVERYTHING, and if you had to pick and choose, you'd be more careful about your priorities. Therefore: Fuck Schreier.

This was not just an ERA issue but I would add to that the harassment and resulting suicide of Daphne Dorman. A transgender person who was brutally and relentlessly harassed online by "activists" for performing with Dave Chapelle and being an "aunt Jemima" transgender person. These disgusting people have no moral compass.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Good post overall

But I don’t think ResetEra is all that influential mostly because the format is a dinosaur. It could disappear tomorrow and he’d still be doing what he’s doing because it’s not ResetEra helping to push his agenda so much as it is the Twittersphere and parts of Reddit (maybe even parts of Discord?). Era is a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer volume of like minded keyboard warriors in other formats.

Also Era is a place where even the Twitter and Reddit SJWs go “damn that place is extreme and crazy”

PoundSand

Banned
Good post overall

But I don’t think ResetEra is all that influential mostly because the format is a dinosaur. It could disappear tomorrow and he’d still be doing what he’s doing because it’s not ResetEra helping to push his agenda so much as it is the Twittersphere and parts of Reddit (maybe even parts of Discord?). Era is a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer volume of like minded keyboard warriors in other formats.

Also Era is a place where even the Twitter and Reddit SJWs go “damn that place is extreme and crazy”

Severely disagree.

Resetera is where all the dumb topics are reformed into insane outrage and from there are distributed to Resetera's affiliate websites (kotaku, polygon, waypoint, eurogamer, easy allies, Schreier, Klepek, etc). Without Resetera acting as catalyst, most of these insane outrage campaigns would never gain traction, it'd remain singular articles on some websites.

And with literally hundreds of industry people being registrered there, it's naive to dismiss their influence.

I'm not saying that to praise Resetera, but pretending that they're harmless and not that important is dangerous for those of us who want to bring about an industry that is free and without censorship.

Severely disagree.

Resetera is where all the dumb topics are reformed into insane outrage and from there are distributed to Resetera's affiliate websites (kotaku, polygon, waypoint, eurogamer, easy allies, Schreier, Klepek, etc). Without Resetera acting as catalyst, most of these insane outrage campaigns would never gain traction, it'd remain singular articles on some websites.

And with literally hundreds of industry people being registrered there, it's naive to dismiss their influence.

I'm not saying that to praise Resetera, but pretending that they're harmless and not that important is dangerous for those of us who want to bring about an industry that is free and without censorship.
I mean, Era has some level of influence, but it's severely limited in scope. Fewer industry people are posting on Era or even remain on the website than they have in 2017. Hell, most of the biggest names from Era, namely Daniel Ahmad, shinobi602, and Nibel, rarely go on Era or even mention it elsewhere. Era's nowhere near where they were a few years ago and this drama is gonna harm them even more. Say what you will about Schreier, but he hasn't posted there in almost a year. Shinobi has been skewered for liking Cyberpunk 2077, but he still posts there only in gaming specific threads and never really goes into politics. Daniel Ahmad is certainly political (and I wasn't fond of him attacking Nick Robinson recently), but it's very rare to see him talk about Era. Sure, Patrick Klepek still goes there, but he's Patrick Klepek. Era represents an extremely small bubble in the industry and that bubble is shrinking as we speak.

Mohonky

I feel like this is a legit question though.

Like you ever have one of those dumps where you know you're going to war with a colon demon that can't be exercised without getting totally naked because anything less than nude feels restricting?

Or is that just me?

PoundSand

Banned
I mean, Era has some level of influence, but it's severely limited in scope. Fewer industry people are posting on Era or even remain on the website than they have in 2017. Hell, most of the biggest names from Era, namely Daniel Ahmad, shinobi602, and Nibel, rarely go on Era or even mention it elsewhere. Era's nowhere near where they were a few years ago and this drama is gonna harm them even more. Say what you will about Schreier, but he hasn't posted there in almost a year. Shinobi has been skewered for liking Cyberpunk 2077, but he still posts there only in gaming specific threads and never really goes into politics. Daniel Ahmad is certainly political (and I wasn't fond of him attacking Nick Robinson recently), but it's very rare to see him talk about Era. Sure, Patrick Klepek still goes there, but he's Patrick Klepek. Era represents an extremely small bubble in the industry and that bubble is shrinking as we speak.

It's not even about Resetera's direct influence, but what it offers: A meeting platform, a knot point that has dumb shit spread everywhere. This indirect influence is very real and it's what has everything blow up when Resetera decides to have something blow up. Hundreds of industry members can
t be dismissed. Sohpia Narwitz' "The Clique" article showed that.

Like you ever have one of those dumps where you know you're going to war with a colon demon that can't be exercised without getting totally naked because anything less than nude feels restricting?

Or is that just me?
Drink some Metamucil bruh

It's not even about Resetera's direct influence, but what it offers: A meeting platform, a knot point that has dumb shit spread everywhere. This indirect influence is very real and it's what has everything blow up when Resetera decides to have something blow up. Hundreds of industry members can
t be dismissed. Sohpia Narwitz' "The Clique" article showed that.
Yes, there's a lot of industry members, but how many of them actually engage in Era? Some share threads that don't talk about drama, some lurk once in a while, others have their accounts dormant, and others remain active and have it influence their worldview. That last group represents a smaller fraction of industry people who are registered in Era.

Jimx26

This comes up every few months with concerns about old tv shows and movies being problematic.

Have these sad fucks, got nothing better to do in their sad little lives than find something to be offended about? I think I just answered my own question.

Last edited:

Ionian

Or is that just me?

Then you just shit in the bath like a normal person. Make sure to add lavender oil first though.

Can colon-cleanse and clean at the same time and still smell fresh as a daisy!

So Jason basically is the "whataboutism" journalist?

PoundSand

Banned
Yes, there's a lot of industry members, but how many of them actually engage in Era? Some share threads that don't talk about drama, some lurk once in a while, others have their accounts dormant, and others remain active and have it influence their worldview. That last group represents a smaller fraction of industry people who are registered in Era.

I don't know what to tell you, but as someone who loves Japanese video games or games that are more thought provoking, it feels like Resetera has negative influence in most of them. Everytime Nintendo removes something from a game or other developers change something, it's after Resetera threw an outrage. It's deeply frustrating and I won't take it lightly until I can feel positive change. Just my 2 cents.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it doesn't matter if they don't interact with the community that much by posting in actual threads. clearly they are there, they have accounts there, THEY AGREE WITH ERA. you see this in their articles. which have far wider reach than any thread on Era. the same exact mind virus gets printed on Vice Motherboard or Polygon or a dozen other giant websites. not just journalists, there are devs and qa testers and writers that frequent the site, they are working on huge games, the toxic Era influence in widely disseminated in many ways.

all it takes it one journalist or one dev lurking and then using some Era mind virus idea in their official work to equal the industry influence of thousands of message board randos. a journo writes a clickbait story, that story spawns threads, reactions, etc. people at these big platforms create ripple effects that bubble out to the echo chambers and clog up legitimate discussion.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't know what to tell you, but as someone who loves Japanese video games or games that are more thought provoking, it feels like Resetera has negative influence in most of them. Everytime Nintendo removes something from a game or other developers change something, it's after Resetera threw an outrage. It's deeply frustrating and I won't take it lightly until I can feel positive change. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder if they're changing in response to what ResetEra happens to be talking about or are they looking at numbers on Twitter and Reddit where there are 100-1000x more people?

I suppose I just think Reset Era isn't really the trend setter so much as a reflection of what's going on elsewhere these days. There were countless times where a lot of outrage went Twitter > ResetEra but almost never the reverse.

Reset Era is certainly an amplifier like many other places on the internet but I don't see them as the source or where the numbers lie to actually make companies scared.

Raven117

If you can be banned for "fragility" then the asylum should be shutdown I mean there's nobody more fragile than those inmates in their safe space.
Geesh, think about what that really means. “Fragility” that essentially means you can be banned if you think about defending yourself or anyone that is not on the protected list.

Man, as time goes on, it feels better to hangout here. The mod team’s dedication to not going to the extreme one way or another in spite of everything else in media trying to make that mandatory, is awesome

Hudo

So Jason basically is the "whataboutism" journalist?
Blogger, not journalist. He himself made a post during the gamergate stuff about how he can't/doesn't want even try to be objective about stuff he "reports". Dude just collects industry drama and compiles books about that to sell. Dude is not interested in genuine reporting, he's interested in drama that he can profit off of (either by getting his name out, getting clicks or by shilling his books).

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
One good thing that came from Sophia being demodded is you can ignore her to remove the trans screech at the top of every page in the CP2077 OT.
LOL that's great. I bet a lot of people already did that, but don't tell anyone their great billboard smear campaign can now be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom