• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I really hope this game is successful enough, so that Capcom brings their entire legacy catalog to pc. I've been waiting for years to play RE1, RE2, RE3 and Dino Crisis on pc. Next on my most wanted list is Dragon's Dogma. Okami would be awesome as well.

Okami ain't happening anytime soon lol, but technically you could be playing all the games you listed in HD on emulators for years now :p

Also think RE1-3 had pc ports before.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just need someone like Durante to come in an add ambient occlusion and we'll call it a day. Game is pure sex and perfection distilled into digital form. Absolute masterpiece. Could remake the entire thing from the ground up with modern graphics and it'd be better than an overwhelming 90%+ of shit released today.

I'm kinda biased, but even the PS2 version is better than 90% of games released today.

Full graphical remake would make it indisputable, though.

Grief.exe

Okami ain't happening anytime soon lol, but technically you could be playing all the games you listed in HD on emulators for years now :p

Also think RE1-3 had pc ports before.

I don't know if you missed it but Capcom added Okami HD screens to a blog post about the RE4 PC release. Very strange.

I'm kinda biased, but even the PS2 version is better than 90% of games released today.

Full graphical remake would make it indisputable, though.

Games just aren't made very well anymore. Too focused on hitting that lowest common denominator market.

Unai

There is something weird about the mouse aiming. I think there is some kind of aim assist or mouse acceleration (even with the option turned off).

Beefwheat

For those wondering why RE4 only supports 16:9 resolutions, the UI is actually rendered INSIDE the game world.

You can see an example I made below.

ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

There are literal, black bars floating behind Leon at all times while you play.

I just wandered into this thread and this post is kinda blowing my mind. Peeling away layers of artifice, so neat to see.

dhonk

Has anyone figured out how to swap A and X for the 360 controller? My years of Gamecube muscle memory are really fucking with me.

scitek

If anyone could figure out a way to get rid of the film grain that would improve things immensely. Texmod or something maybe?

Sullichin

I couldn't get the controls to work with my Magic mouse. Trying to press two "buttons" at once is too much for it. The Windows drivers for this thing suck. Thankfully I had a DualShock 3 lying around.

Still such an amazing game. I'm glad I'm not going crazy in thinking that some of the animations (like landing from a jump) are at a lower framerate. I knew about the rifle reload animation, but it seems that a handful of other ones are capped at 30 as well. The rifle reload is a bit jarring. Does the auto rifle have the same problem?

Ran into the slow motion and unsynced audio in cutscene problems a couple of times. I guess I'll disable AA or something and see if that helps.

scitek

Wait...so why are the black bars rendered in the game world? What's the point of that?
The game was originally presented with fake black bars on 4:3 TVs. When they ported it to Wii, they added a wide screen mode, but all it really did was zoom in past the black bars. They were really still there, just off-screen.

I know people have an issue with Post Process, however, I don't rely mind it at all. It makes it look "different", but it does look more bluish in a sense. I currently have it set to 3 along with max AA, HD textures, and motion blur. I'm still on Chapter 1. I'm taking my time. I will rush through it once I beat again for the 5th or 6th time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

One of the awesome side effects of things animating too quickly in 60fps mode is that, among those are load screens. Getting through doors is fast as hell now :p

It might be worth trying this with it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...isable-shaders-in-games-dll-guide-and-fixes-/

People generally use it for fixing 3D vision, but the program itself just lets you disable individual shaders and figure out which are causing what.

You may be able to use it to disable things like DoF, Motion Blur, and the grain filter, then save it as a patch that can be easily shared and used (just place the patch in the executables directory).

It's worth giving a shot if you wanna try it yourself.

Brelston

I don't know if you missed it but Capcom added Okami HD screens to a blog post about the RE4 PC release. Very strange.

That was solely because we didn't have the slider HTML working back when Okami HD was released. But since we can do it now, we figured Ammy deserved the shout out. There's no hidden message there :p

Where are mah screenshots?

It looks like RE4 but sharper :p There are some in the PC screenshots thread.

And RE4's tank controls are among the easiest to get to grips with. Tank controlds were always annoying more because of the camera angle changes than anything else. Shift/S is a quick turn which helps quite a bit.

Edit: Damn, any fog sends the framerate tumbling down. Was enjoying 8XSGSSAA at 60 FPS :/ Playing this again reminds me that RE6 really did have far less ammo than RE4, where I have an hundreds of spare rounds. Professional is more stringent but even then as long as you use the knife you are fine.

Curufinwe

I probably have the oldest desktop PC of anyone in this thread so I'm a little nervous about how it will run. At worst I'll wait and play it on a new PC in a year or two.

Dr Dogg

I got a feeling a lot of the redone textures are front loaded as on 3-3 in the Castle now and everything is a blurred and smudged mess. Some effects are obviously key framed to 30fps. Oddly though stuff like the water ripple runs at 60fps and looks too fast and the torch flames run at 30fps and look too slow. That and the grain layer and some of the lighting effects flicker in dark environments to the extent I feel like I might have had one too many.

It's a small price to pay at having it 60fps but I think in an ideal world having this running on the RE5 MT Framework Engine would make a lot of current gen games fell outdated.

LEEEON HEELLLPP

Wow. I think I got an Ashley related game over like 3 times ever, not counting me *accidentally* shooting her.

Eggs are fun.

Well the first time I played this many moons ago I knifed Ashley to death accidentally more times than I want to remember. First time was a bit funny how she goofily cowered then died in one hit.

I probably have the oldest desktop PC of anyone in this thread so I'm a little nervous about how it will run. At worst I'll wait and play it on a new PC in a year or two.

You should be fine as long as you lock it at 30, a lot of us are trying to run it at 60 FPS with SGSSAA while downsampling as well :p Can always turn the resolution down as well.

The game was originally presented with fake black bars on 4:3 TVs. When they ported it to Wii, they added a wide screen mode, but all it really did was zoom in past the black bars. They were really still there, just off-screen.

Thanks, I understand that, but I mean, why were they there originally if the whole scene was being rendered anyway?

Truant

IQ is awful with and without anti-aliasing, probably due to weird DOF used and film grain used to hide blemishes in the original build. SGSSAA @ 1920x1080 doesn't help much, so I've found running the game at 3200x1800 downsampled to 1920x1080 with no AA (driver or engine) gives me the sharpest image quality with little aliasing and a solid 60fps. Motion blur looks fucking awful so off it goes.

Just need someone like Durante to come in an add ambient occlusion and we'll call it a day. Game is pure sex and perfection distilled into digital form. Absolute masterpiece. Could remake the entire thing from the ground up with modern graphics and it'd be better than an overwhelming 90%+ of shit released today.

I'm holding out for Durante style downsampling and AO.

Miker

I got a feeling a lot of the redone textures are front loaded as on 3-3 in the Castle now and everything is a blurred and smudged mess. Some effects are obviously key framed to 30fps. Oddly though stuff like the water ripple runs at 60fps and looks too fast and the torch flames run at 30fps and look too slow. That and the grain layer and some of the lighting effects flicker in dark environments to the extent I feel like I might have had one too many.

It's a small price to pay at having it 60fps but I think in an ideal world having this running on the RE5 MT Framework Engine would make a lot of current gen games fell outdated.

This sums up my thoughts on 60 fps exactly. It's clear some sacrifices had to be made to get it to run at 60 fps, but I can look past them. Aiming is just so smooooooooooth. I can see it not being for everyone, though, depending how much you value responsiveness vs. authenticity (purity?), and I'm glad it's an option.

EDIT:

Am I completely missing something or did they forget to make a way to quit out of the game without alt tabbing?

options menu -> load -> reset game (takes you back to main menu) -> quit

Or alt+f4. So much faster.

Awakened

Has anyone figured out how to swap A and X for the 360 controller? My years of Gamecube muscle memory are really fucking with me.
I found out recently that you can use x360ce to remap stuff on Xinput controllers. I used it to remap the right trigger to up on the right analog stick for Trials Gold on my Wii U Pro controller (in Xinput mode with the Mayflash adapter) to get analog acceleration. Swapping A and X on a 360 controller would be easy if you've ever used that program before; if not, there is a manual link on that page that should help.

Okay, so here's the thing: I went through and did all of that, however I'm not using a 360 controller, but rather the Mayflash adapter with Wii U Pro Controller. This mimics the layout for the Classic Controller, so while I've got it figured out, I haven't got one that will work for you.
HOWEVER. I'm installing an IDE right now so I can try and scrap together a quick little button reconfiguration tool. I have no idea how long it will take, and I don't know if I'm going to screw it up, so when I've got it made, make sure to back up your settings.

scitek

It might be worth trying this with it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...isable-shaders-in-games-dll-guide-and-fixes-/

People generally use it for fixing 3D vision, but the program itself just lets you disable individual shaders and figure out which are causing what.

You may be able to use it to disable things like DoF, Motion Blur, and the grain filter, then save it as a patch that can be easily shared and used (just place the patch in the executables directory).

It's worth giving a shot if you wanna try it yourself.

Thanks, I'll try to figure all that out later after work.

If you're on laptops, this could be an issue with "PalmCheck" in your mouse settings.

I'm not. i7-4770k/GTX 780/8gb ram. My issue with the mouse seems to be that it's relatively faithful to the original games more or less. I just wish there wasn't that half second delay when going into aim or knife.

If my shitty Core 2 rig that's going on 5 years can run it at 1080p30, yours definitely can. Just set that Framerate to Fixed 30 and you're good to go.

Top Bottom