• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

There is something weird about the mouse aiming. I think there is some kind of aim assist or mouse acceleration (even with the option turned off).

There is some gnarly negative mouse acceleration, where if you quickly swipe the mouse you will barely get any movement in-game. It is super disorienting and pretty much making the game unplayable for me right now. Here is a vid demonstrating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPbqwNwvJEw

Not exactly a fair assessment as the original PC version looked significantly worse than this on release. Keep in mind this is a port of a GameCube game, not a remaster in a new engine.

I believe he was just pointing out how sad it is that modders can do better work (on the original crappy port) than an official release, especially when they called it the 'Ultimate HD Edition'

Grief.exe

I think this is really important release regardless of whether or not it's actually the ultimate HD version. It shows that Capcom actually admits that the previous version released on PC was garbage, and they knew it needed to be redone. hopefully they'll bring Okami HD to steam as well as other games that need the PC treatment, if not necessarily the HD one.

Important ideological step, as Capcom has other prior PC releases that are in desperate need of fixing as well.

And of course I want more Japanese games on the platform.

I believe he was just pointing out how sad it is that modders can do better work (on the original crappy port) than an official release, especially when they called it the 'Ultimate HD Edition'

Also doesn't help when the store page says shit like this "A complete visual overhaul has been performed to bring this revered title to the highest graphical quality ever."

lololol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Pretty much all of the mods for the original PC version look awful and tacky with no sense of placement, actually managing to be more jarring than an extremely low res original texture. The only actually good looking texture mod I've seen is the WIP by a GAFfer linked in this thread somewhere, which isn't finished. (or for the original PC version)

1_by_thesheerog-d78dnf0.gif

I think I'm gonna be turning down the gamma when I get to this section.

dhonk

Those texture packs were never very good. Most of it just seems like they googled "dirt texture", made it tile, and then pressed Sharpen 5 times. Would be pleasantly surprised if someone found one that actually looked good.

Curufinwe

I got it running at 60 fps up to the first save point, but my 360 controller is not doing anything. I had to use m + kb. It shows up as being detected in the Options, but none of the buttons or sticks make anything happen.

I had to finally delete my old XBCD drivers and use the official MS driver instead. But it works now.

Why can't I be allowed to play this game in English?
I have the JP version (the curse of region locking) and don't particularly care about the censorship cuts, but if all languages are right there (I can SEE the files), why am I not allowed to play it in English? Setting the language to ENG in config does exactly nothing. :(
Any ideas?

epmode

I can't remember: Is Mercenaries playable from the very beginning? I don't see it on the main menu screen.

Just in case it's related to some weird region thing, I'm in the States and I bought a Steam key from Gamefly.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I can't remember: Is Mercenaries playable from the very beginning? I don't see it on the main menu screen.

Just in case it's related to some weird region thing, I'm in the States and I bought a Steam key from Gamefly.

I think you had to beat the game first.

Rich!

Just got to the castle! Still in fear of when the first regenerator shows up...my Wii version never got past the labs because one of those motherfuckers is stuck between me and the exit in one island area. Fuck that.

Oddly, they never bothered me back a decade ago on the GC. Hm.

And maybe this is my experience with the smooth Wii IR talking, but is the aiming laser sight supposed to be juddering like hell? Everything else is running smooth as silk, but I don't remember this from the GC version...

X-Factor

Easiest way of beating the Village:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gITOcuS0No

The village is the hardest part of the game for a lot of people for some reason.

Man, I am rusty at this game. I died twice shortly after the second chainsaw guy because I ran out of ammo.

I always found using a controller easier than the wii aiming.

And maybe this is my experience with the smooth Wii IR talking, but is the aiming laser sight supposed to be juddering like hell? Everything else is running smooth as silk, but I don't remember this from the GC version...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm browsing some weapon tier lists, is this accurate?

God tier

P.R.L.
Chicago Typewriter
Handcannon
Infinite Rocket Launcher

Knife
Handgun
Rocket launcher (disposable)
Shotgun

Upper-mid

Red 9
Striker
Blacktail
Semi-auto rifle
Riot gun

Lower-mid

TMP
Rifle
Broken Buttefly
Mine thrower
Killer 7

Bottom

Matilda
Punisher

TMP needs to be on Top tier at least. Maybe even God tier. It deserves more respect than it gets. It's way more versatile than the Handgun. You get way more ammo, and if you use it right, shooting Ganado's in the head or knees, you hardly use any ammo. And it's great for crowd control. It works in any situation, basically. By no means does it deserve to be in a low or even mid tier. :p

And the Rifle should be higher IMO. Does more damage when upgraded, and the reload animation is tops. :D

It's really annoying how it's only some textures that were updated and not all of them. Walking into a room and seeing high res walls and rugs and then a really muddy floor breaks the image

epmode

I'm not sure why they're putting the OG handgun or shotgun so high, unless they're just talking aesthetics.

TMP needs to be on Top tier at least. Maybe even God tier. It deserves more respect than it gets. It's way more versatile than the Handgun. You get way more ammo, and if you use it right, shooting Ganado's in the head or knees, you hardly use any ammo. And it's great for crowd control. It works in any situation, basically. By no means does it deserve to be in a low or even mid tier. :p

This is all true but I'd still rather use most any gun over the TMP.

Hypron

And the Rifle should be higher IMO. Does more damage when upgraded, and the reload animation is tops. :D

Yeah, the TMP is awesome.

Anyone ranking TMP low tier doesn't know how to play RE4.

Knee shot to melee is the best combo in the game.

I always thought Red9 was the best handgun, why the basic Handgun is held in such regard? Critical chance?

It's not. Pretty much anywhere that discusses RE4 seriously will tell you that the Red9 or Blacktail is superior to it. The OG shotgun is also inferior to both the Riot Gun and Striker in every way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always thought Red9 was the best handgun, why the basic Handgun is held in such regard? Critical chance?

Maybe inventory space, plus critical chance? I guess the idea is that you won't be using the handgun on anything except for regular ganados whose heads can pop off?

The Red9 is easily the best in my opinion. There's a very thorough weapon analysis FAQ on Gamefaqs that compares the weapons using several. I don't agree with your chart.

Clawww

Maybe inventory space, plus critical chance? I guess the idea is that you won't be using the handgun on anything except for regular ganados whose heads can pop off?

The Red9 is easily the best in my opinion. There's a very thorough weapon analysis FAQ on Gamefaqs that compares the weapons using several. I don't agree with your chart.

red9 is boring as heck tho

blacktail all day son

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm kind of disappointed with the mouse controls. I was hoping for something like the Wii pointer controls which basically gave you the option to play in an arcade-y way if you desired. As of right now it just feels like a slightly better way to play normally than with a pad.

Curufinwe

I played thru to the second save point and it stayed at 60 fps the whole time (I had EVGA Precision running in the bottom right corner). I'm only playing at 1080p with motion blur off and shadow quality set to high, but considering my specs I'm pretty happy.

Windows XP
Core2Duo E6420 @ 2.8 GHz
768 MB GTX 460
2 GB RAM

On the Steam forums it seems like a lot of people with much better machines than mine are having slowdown issues so I don't know what's going on.

1024x576.resizedimage

My only issue so far is that inverting aim affects both mouse and controller. When I get to the shooting gallery and want to use the mouse to aim I'll have go in and turn inverted aim off.

epmode

The performance problems for some people with better cards than mine are strange. I'm getting a flawless 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with max settings and 8x AA, and I only have a GTX 570. I hope a patch can help for anyone with inexplicable slowdown.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No proper 16:10 support... Really, really disappointing. Trying to run it in 1600p but it's blackbarring to 1440p.

:(

Also, the post-processing is nasty. Prefer it off for sure.

For those wondering why RE4 only supports 16:9 resolutions, the UI is actually rendered INSIDE the game world.

You can see an example I made below.

ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

There are literal, black bars floating behind Leon at all times while you play.

UnrealEck

My only issue so far is that inverting aim affects both mouse and controller. When I get to the shooting gallery and want to use the mouse to aim I'll have go in and turn inverted aim off.

That's a pet peeve of mine. They need to seperate those in games. Sometimes I am switching between controller and mouse.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It's amazing that no matter how many times i play this game, i ALWAYS get stuck with 14/15 blue medallions without resorting to some sort of guide.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I played thru to the second save point and it stayed at 60 fps the whole time (I had EVGA Precision running in the bottom right corner). I'm only playing at 1080p with motion blur off and shadow quality set to high, but considering my specs I'm pretty happy.

Windows XP
Core2Duo E6420 @ 2.8 GHz
768 MB GTX 460
2 GB RAM

On the Steam forums it seems like a lot of people with much better machines than mine are having slowdown issues so I don't know what's going on.

Hey I have that GPU too. I'm a couple of hours in and it's running flawlessly at 1080p, 4xAA, high shadows, HD textures.

Are people having slowdown because they're using crazy amounts of AA and downsampling? Or is that a dumb question?

L00P

Weren't there henchmen with crossbows who shot at you from the balconies in that one huge area in the castle? Or do they only appear in Professional mode? I can't remember. Can't say I miss them, though

Anyway, I got the slowdowns in the waterfall and the cable car areas. The scene with Saddler in the church got out of sync with the audio. Maybe it's because my pc's ancient, but the other RE's ran just fine. Really hope they put up a fix soon.

Top Bottom