• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

I did not know this was possible.

77D0626EAE9C1A63BE1D5C2FC70399ECD1D29AC4

Isn't it sad that a game released on gamecube can do this, but games on PS4 and Xbone can't have this level of detail in their mechanics. I've said it all along, RE4 is a next gen game that was released in 2004.

Isn't it sad that a game released on gamecube can do this, but games on PS4 and Xbone can't have this level of detail in their mechanics. I've said it all along, RE4 is a next gen game that was released in 2004.
Perfect Dark had you capable of shooting weapons out of the hands of enemies a gen prior to that even. It's just complacency in mechanic trends that limits cool details like that.

L.O.R.D

i am playing this game for the second time
the first time was the OLD PC port

oh maan,the control is very hard
the game really scary only because i can't move and aim very well

maybe just now i noticed there is a tune when i face an enemy

i am using the xbox 360 controller
and didn't like the setup available

Unai

I'm sounding like an ould grumpy, but I can't believe the wii remotes are still more precise than the mouse in this version. It makes me sad.

collige

Banned
It might be worth trying this with it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...isable-shaders-in-games-dll-guide-and-fixes-/

People generally use it for fixing 3D vision, but the program itself just lets you disable individual shaders and figure out which are causing what.

You may be able to use it to disable things like DoF, Motion Blur, and the grain filter, then save it as a patch that can be easily shared and used (just place the patch in the executables directory).

It's worth giving a shot if you wanna try it yourself.
I just messed around with this. Turns out that the shader for the film grain is lumped in with all the other particle effects, so turning it off turns off all smoke, fire, bloom, etc. I also couldn't get it to actually save the shader so I could distribute it for some reason. Oh well.
Pic for posterity:
1024x576.resizedimage

nullref

Any proper fix on the slow mo effect? I need to play in that sweet sweet 60FPS.

The way the game works is unlike how PC games generally work -- everything is timed by the framerate. The game either runs at a fixed 60hz, or fixed 30hz. If you've set it to 60hz, and your PC can't keep up to that refresh rate, the game will slow down.

Basically, it means you need to turn down your graphics options so your computer can keep up to 60hz, or you need to drop to 30hz.

Unless there's some actual bug I'm not aware of, this is just how the game works.

Being able to hit a slow moving projectile out of the air isn't really all that crazy. In any case, if people enjoy things such as they should play RE6 which is built around incredibly detailed stun locks, attack cancels, and so on. Although it doesn't have that particular element because enemies no longer walk incredibly slowly or throw knives through molasses :p

Why is the fog so resource intensive? Having to stop downsampling every time I come across it. Certainly isn't Silent Hill esqe fog. As mentioned I am using SGSSAA though.

Maybe this is already known, but running the game in higher resolutions makes the laser sight on your gun thinner and less pronounced. I took some shots comparing the difference between 4k and 1440p, but the difference is definitely more noticeable in game.

Downsampled 4k, no AA
4k1xsz7.png

1440p, no AA
1440pfxsim.png

My specs:

i5 2550K @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 770 4GB
8 GB RAM

Performance at 4k is actually very good. I tested the village fight at the start of the game since you can really get a lot of enemies on screen at once there. Only dips when unloading shotgun fire or throwing a grenade into a large crowd, but because of Vsync it goes all the way down to 30, and because of the way this game renders 60 fps everything slows down for a moment. If I could use triple buffering I'm betting that the game would run stupendously at 4k, but D3DOverrider freaks out when I use 4k while it's running so I have to close it or create an exception for RE4.

IQ is pretty good even at 1440p, I can run 8x AA without any dips and D3DOverrider for triple buffering so I'll probably just stick with that. Motion blur in this game is horrendous. Also hoping someone figures out how to get rid of the film grain as that would bump up the IQ at any resolution up quite a notch.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just messed around with this. Turns out that the shader for the film grain is lumped in with all the other particle effects, so turning it off turns off all smoke, fire, bloom, etc. I also couldn't get it to actually save the shader so I could distribute it for some reason. Oh well.
Pic for posterity:
1024x576.resizedimage

I believe the way the program works is that you can disable specific groups of shaders then once you determine the group, you can disable the individual shaders within the group. You may be able to disable them separately as a result.

Dr Dogg

Man that knee shot, suplex combo never gets old. Though that fecking Garrador in the cage still rubs me up the wrong way. Took ages to get the door open in what could have been an outtake from the Benny Hill Show.

I did not know this was possible.

Yep. To the extent it was an achievement in RE5 (named "be the knife"). Was very easy to pull off in the Wii version with the easy knife controls.

This sums up my thoughts on 60 fps exactly. It's clear some sacrifices had to be made to get it to run at 60 fps, but I can look past them. Aiming is just so smooooooooooth. I can see it not being for everyone, though, depending how much you value responsiveness vs. authenticity (purity?), and I'm glad it's an option.

I think that's a good thing with what's on offer as you can have the game at your screens native res and either have the updated textures and a 60fps update or have it at 30fps and the original textures or mixtures of both. Obviously you can't please everybody but personally a few missing effects and some odd quibbles with animations isn't going to put a downer on my experience. Though a lesser game it might be different.

Grief.exe

Should I just buy the TMP? Or do you find it over the course of the adventure?

Do you have to unlock all of the catagories, before you advance to level 3 unlocks?

When I try to play it looks like this:
1024x640.resizedimage

Has anyone else had this problem? My brightness setting in the game is 00.

Turn off post-process.

Unai

Do you have to unlock all of the catagories, before you advance to level 3 unlocks?

Turn off post-process.

You can't get it for free. Some people love it, because it makes really easy to suplex enemies, and some people hate it, because it can eat to much ammo.

collige

Banned
I believe the way the program works is that you can disable specific groups of shaders then once you determine the group, you can disable the individual shaders within the group. You may be able to disable them separately as a result.

I didn't see any option to do this. Maybe if I could look at the individual shader it could be possible, but like I said, the version I used didn't properly dump the shaders.

DSmalls84

I'm using my PS4 pad for this but when I change the controller layouts and resume the game they stay the same. Anyone know how to fix this?

Dr Dogg

You don't find it in the game outside of the Merchant as far as I can remember.

The TMP is a real love it or hate it/Marmite weapon. I find it's usable in the early castle and island sections but others prefer the Punisher for it's penetration (and it's Exclusive can go through up to 5 targets ohhh errr!). It's great on shielded guys and puts the dogs down quiet easily. It's also quiet effective of staggering enemy's so you can close in for a reaction hit (suplex ahoy). Every weapon has a specific application but some you can go without. In the Wii version the TMP was god tier due to no aim wobble and it seamed to get a lot of head shots.

There's an FAQ on GameFAQS that goes through all the weapons and their upgrades as well as their exclusive unlocks so you can decide what you like best. A fully upgraded Red 9 with the stock, a Striker (freebie shotty first though), the standard Rifle and the freebie Broken Butterfly and my go to setup. Though the Blacktail is great you don't get it until the castle.

So I get the whole "you need to maintain the 30fps or 60fps (whatever you set it to) to keep the game from going slow-mo," but what's the current issue with v-sync?

Grief.exe

So I get the whole "you need to maintain the 30fps or 60fps (whatever you set it to) to keep the game from going slow-mo, but what's the current issue with v-sync?

Animations are tied to the timing of the frame rate.

If you dip below 60 FPS than the animations will appear to be slower linearly to the drop in frame rate.
The 30 FPS setting changes the timing to that frame rate.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Animations are tied to the timing of the frame rate.

If you dip below 60 FPS than the animations will appear to be slower linearly to the drop in frame rate.
The 30 FPS setting changes the timing to that frame rate.

I've been trying to piece together this part of the conversation...

Should everyone turn off vsync or just people who are having framerate issues?

Like if I'm just running the game at normal ass 1080p with 4x AA and HD textures and it seems to be working fine at 60fps, should I still turn off vsync for some reason?

One thing to note about when enemies throw objects (such as axes or dynamite) is that the hitboxes on them grow significantly. In other words, you can "miss" and still knock it out of the air. So next time you see some dynamite, be sure to try and shoot it out of the air!

Curufinwe

I got it running at 60 fps up to the first save point, but my 360 controller is not doing anything. I had to use m + kb. It shows up as being detected in the Options, but none of the buttons or sticks make anything happen.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, the Ashley chapter hasn't got any better. I wonder with this getting a renewed interest and a Japanese release if someone will finally bring over the Japanese specific Classic Camera for that section.

I've been trying to piece together this part of the conversation...

Should everyone turn off vsync or just people who are having framerate issues?

Like if I'm just running the game at normal ass 1080p with 4x AA and HD textures and it seems to be working fine at 60fps, should I still turn off vsync for some reason?

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to figure out. In general I turn v-sync on by default, so I want to know if this is a special case.

But I'm not getting this for a while, so my version will have several patches under its belt. I just enjoy following this friend

scitek

I think this is really important release regardless of whether or not it's actually the ultimate HD version. It shows that Capcom actually admits that the previous version released on PC was garbage, and they knew it needed to be redone. hopefully they'll bring Okami HD to steam as well as other games that need the PC treatment, if not necessarily the HD one.

Top Bottom