• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Dr Dogg

Well the 'first act' done, onwards to the castle.

I would normally be saying "I feel jealous of all the folks who are experiencing this for the first time" but I'm having such a blast. Considering this has to be my 20th+ playthrough, RE4 has lost none of it's shine for me.

Grief.exe

Well the 'first act' done, onwards to the castle.

I would normally be saying "I feel jealous of all the folks who are experiencing this for the first time" but I'm having such a blast. Considering this has to be my 20th+ playthrough, RE4 has lost none of it's shine for me.

It just feels so good. The gameplay balance just clicks and you feel tension that you don't feel in most games.

i can't wait to get home and play. 1080p, 60fps, surround sound headphones. ooh lawd

I actually sent my sound card back yesterday as it was blocking air flow to one of my GPUs. Going to get the PCI-e version instead, but have to use onboard for the time being.

By surround sound headphones, you don't mean those that have 6 or 7 speakers in each cup right?

kris.

Banned
It just feels so good. The gameplay balance just clicks and you feel tension that you don't feel in most games.

I actually sent my sound card back yesterday as it was blocking air flow to one of my GPUs. Going to get the PCI-e version instead, but have to use onboard for the time being.

By surround sound headphones, you don't mean those that have 6 or 7 speakers in each cup right?

i know nothing about sound or headphones but they cover my ear and it sounds like i'm being surrounded so yes they're surround sound headphones and no one can tell me otherwise!! sound is like the one single aspect of gaming/television that i know next to nothing about. if it sounds good, i'm good haha

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Post-Processing Effects modification attempt 2: Rub random pink and baby blue into it.

Results:

77AAAFB20D75BF792FD6D332C75D55B8B68DDED2
7B75A9D56AF2D87078831935CB7998AD763FAEF4
EDB9AA28CF8B6B6510F933D38A66C7D1AACC3EE5

Manac0r

Going out for Korean food and Soju for my b'day. Will rise tomorrow like the undead, boot up RE4 at 1600p and finally finish what I started oh so many years ago.

Hyped!

Miguel81

Does the game support surround sound, or at least Pro logic II?

i know nothing about sound or headphones but they cover my ear and it sounds like i'm being surrounded so yes they're surround sound headphones and no one can tell me otherwise!! sound is like the one single aspect of gaming/television that i know next to nothing about. if it sounds good, i'm good haha

There are a couple of methods of getting surround sound.

1. The most common method by far is virtual surround sound. It's the most common because it is far and away the best. You see, humans have two ears, and the reason we can tell what direction something is coming from is because the shape of our ears distorts the sound when it's coming from behind us. At this point, we know how that distortion works, so now we can simply process the sound, apply that distortion, and your ears will recognize the sound with its distortion, and it will sound as though it is behind you. Cool shit.

2. The second method, is stupid as shit. Essentially, instead of having one speaker in each cup, which allows you to have GOOD speakers in each cup, they try and fit like 3 or 4 in each cup. This is terrible for several reasons: 1) Since they are all RIGHT ON TOP OF YOUR EAR, the shape of your ear doesn't get a chance to distort it. It works a little bit, but not well. And 2) Now instead of having 1 good speaker, you have 4 shitty ones. So it sounds like crap.

And there you go, all you needed to know about surround sound headphones.

Is anyone playing this with a DualShock 4? The button config doesn't work, the Xinput wrapper causes a whole buncha goofiness since the game recognizes it as two controllers simultaneously, and editing the cfg file is giving me a headache. There are about 4 controller profiles under here and I have no clue what button's what or what these functions even do.

If anyone has a DS4-friendly CFG file I'd greatly appreciate if they could please share it.

Grief.exe

Generally 'Surround Sound Headphones' are the sound worlds marketing gimmick. Great way to charge more and give you much, much less.

Does the game support surround sound, or at least Pro logic II?

There aren't any audio options in the game at all.

For those that are curious, I am able to run this on my Surface Pro 2 at 720 and 30 FPS. No lengthy impressions, as I am currently at work.

Generally 'Surround Sound Headphones' are the sound worlds marketing gimmick. Great way to charge more and give you much, much less.

Well for consoles that don't normally have virtualized options like that it's sort of nice to have, but for the most part it's an entirely software function.

kris.

Banned
There are a couple of methods of getting surround sound.

1. The most common method by far is virtual surround sound. It's the most common because it is far and away the best. You see, humans have two ears, and the reason we can tell what direction something is coming from is because the shape of our ears distorts the sound when it's coming from behind us. At this point, we know how that distortion works, so now we can simply process the sound, apply that distortion, and your ears will recognize the sound with its distortion, and it will sound as though it is behind you. Cool shit.

2. The second method, is stupid as shit. Essentially, instead of having one speaker in each cup, which allows you to have GOOD speakers in each cup, they try and fit like 3 or 4 in each cup. This is terrible for several reasons: 1) Since they are all RIGHT ON TOP OF YOUR EAR, the shape of your ear doesn't get a chance to distort it. It works a little bit, but not well. And 2) Now instead of having 1 good speaker, you have 4 shitty ones. So it sounds like crap.

And there you go, all you needed to know about surround sound headphones.

did not expect to learn things in this thread. thanks guys! fairly certain the headphones i have are the shitty ones then. i got them for like $35 at best buy. might look into some nice ones now!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
How do the new textures compare to the HD packs playing on Dolphin? What I've done there is replaced only the character/HUD/objects textures since I feel too much atmosphere is lost in terms of grime/dirt by replacing trees, building textures etc. Is there any way to pick and choose like that here? 60fps remains the biggest draw for me regardless, will cop in a few days, hopefully after some of these issues (v-sync) have been addressed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is anyone playing this with a DualShock 4? The button config doesn't work, the Xinput wrapper causes a whole buncha goofiness since the game recognizes it as two controllers simultaneously, and editing the cfg file is giving me a headache. There are about 4 controller profiles under here and I have no clue what button's what or what these functions even do.

If anyone has a DS4-friendly CFG file I'd greatly appreciate if they could please share it.

I was just going to ask about messing with the config file as well, though my DS4 is working fine with inputwrapper so far. I'm using v1.1 Beta 3 and I'm wired via USB, not using bluetooth.

I edited the config file to swap the L2 and R2 with L1 and R1 but it had no effect. I might have edited the wrong thing I guess. There are 3 Xinput sections in the .ini file and I assumed those correspond to controller schemes 1, 2, and 3. Each seems to have the inputs for a 360 pad and a generic pad. It's all very confusing so I'll probably just have to get used to using the triggers instead of L1 and R1 like I'm used to.

I did some messing around with the post processing effects and got a couple of cool looking black and white settings. Here are some pics:
1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

The gradient files are below if you wanna try them out. Just download the picture and rename it to gradient1, gradient2, or gradient3. Then replace the respective files in the BIO4/gradients folder (after backing up the original) and set the post processing to the same number. They fuck with the HUD though and visibility is messed up in a few places so it's probably not a good idea for first time users, but for vets like me who want a challenge, this could be a cool way to play through the game again.
48CS4pX.png

C4gaOBk.png

This looks damn artsy.

Well, I'm able to run it at constant 60fps/1080p save for when I look at the fire in the center of the village. Granted I haven't played very far yet, I can only imagine the problem is worse during some of the later fights with fire effects all over the place. Game is perfect at 30fps though. Considering I'm running a fairly old computer I'd say it's a pretty well optimized port, not DMC4 good of course, but good nonetheless. Though perhaps this is a sign it's time to upgrade soon.

RedSwirl

The rifle reload definitely seems to be 30fps, with the rest of the game running at 60fps around it. Kinda bummed about that.

I was wondering if something like this would happen. The way the game is balanced, reloads for each weapon are supposed to have a set number of animation frames (that's what the number represents when you upgrade reload), and I was wondering how they'd reconcile this with the move to 60hz. Would it have been possible for them to just double the number of animation frames?

I was wondering if something like this would happen. The way the game is balanced, reloads for each weapon are supposed to have a set number of animation frames (that's what the number represents when you upgrade reload), and I was wondering how they'd reconcile this with the move to 60hz. Would it have been possible for them to just double the number of animation frames?

The thing is, it seems like it's just the rifle reload.

Grief.exe

Grief must be pleased that this suggests Capcom taking Steam more seriously. I know I am!

Very pleased.

They had PC blog posts on Capcom-Unity discussing God Hand and Okami as well. They still have a long hill to climb with GFWL games though.

Oh shit just got my first foil card. What's the price curve on these? Should I sell it ASAP or wait a bit?

Sell now, prices only degrade as time goes on.

Newboi

Does anyone know how to edit the sound levels? I feel like a lot of sound effects are more subdued in terms of overall loudness. I pretty sure hearing Leon's footsteps, especially on wood, was much more audible in the original versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI-wWdDQpl4#t=88

This PC versus PS2 vid seems to have the same effect. If you listen for leon's footsteps and the ambient noise of the fire, they are much louder in the PS2 version versus the current PC version.

luca_29_bg

there's no surround sound in the game....i have an x-fi card and usually i have stereo expanded to my speakers 5.1 when the game have not properly surround sound, but this output only stereo sound. Any clues ? O_O

Same here. I'm using the 1.3 beta and I can play fine for about ten seconds before it starts freaking out. Would love a fix because it's so hard to go back to the 360 controller after using the DS4.

Guy.brush

Bummer. The port seems lazier than I had hoped.
Rebinding Quick turnaround to something like EXTRA MOUSE BUTTON 1 doesn't work. It recognizes the mouse button, but then won't work in-game.

I also don't understand why they couldn't implement mouselook to cause a change in walking direction? Doing mouse AIM and then looking around WILL cause a change in walking direction, so why can't mouse look do the same? Feels inconsistent.
Also don't like the sluggish mouse. It is too slow in look mode, but when sensitivity is increased to compensate for that it is too fast in aim mode.

All little input things that add up to a subpar first impression.

did not expect to learn things in this thread. thanks guys! fairly certain the headphones i have are the shitty ones then. i got them for like $35 at best buy. might look into some nice ones now!

Actually, the shitty method is the more expensive one by far, because they essentially have to stick like 5 pairs of headphones duct taped together.

As an addendum, with PC games themselves can do the surround effect on their own, as can sound cards. I've got a pair of non-surround Sennheisers that enjoy surround sound.
On the PC end, it's much better to get a sound card that can do the effect, and then pair your favorite headphones to them, than to try and get "Surround sound" headphones. Turtle Beach/Astro/all those other kinds of surround sound headphones are usually just regular headphones soldered onto a converter that mixes that all together.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So what's the cheapest way to get this in EURO-land? GMG?

Oh-la.

And figured out how to not make almost everything white, though still using simple colors. Will mess around with more later, but for now, a blue world:

24A584C941A174C1B67F00C43F4CE1B1E9F2A239

From A-Ha to Eiffel 65.

Edit: This got me thinking. Would it be possible to single out specific colour values and add a specular like effect to the enemies?

Edit #2: To the people splurging on the HD textures shown above. The guy is a Gaffer, here's his topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346&page=2

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To those who are playing with the gradients, what effect does this gradient have?

Yo9TiPF.png

42% in MGR and only one life to waste at a time, but thanks very much for the confidence.

I had no idea about this, awesome to hear!

I'm a bit annoyed when switching to aim or knife it takes about a half second before you have control and can aim. That said, it runs very well and looks great. I'll probably just play this with the controller anyways so the mouse issue I have won't be a problem.

Ya I noticed that too, makes things more cumbersome.

If you're on laptops, this could be an issue with "PalmCheck" in your mouse settings.

Top Bottom