• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
For those wondering why RE4 only supports 16:9 resolutions, the UI is actually rendered INSIDE the game world.

You can see an example I made below.

ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

There are literal, black bars floating behind Leon at all times while you play.

this is hilarious / awesome

onken

Had this preloaded 100% but went to play it just now and it's making me start the download from scratch - pretty fucking annoying.

Zeppeli

Banned
Also, now that I have a 360 controller for my PC - does anyone have games that utilize xinput well they can let me know about? Thanks.

Sullichin

The lake monster fight is running almost entirely in slow motion for me on my laptop (750m), even if I lower the resolution and disable AA. It's making this part way harder than it should be...

On another note, I might go for the TMP this time, I almost always skip it.

collige

Banned
Also, now that I have a 360 controller for my PC - does anyone have games that utilize xinput well they can let me know about? Thanks.

Pretty much any modern AAA game on PC has default support for 360 controllers, icons and all. A better question would be what doesn't utilize it?

Grief.exe

Weren't there henchmen with crossbows who shot at you from the balconies in that one huge area in the castle? Or do they only appear in Professional mode? I can't remember. Can't say I miss them, though

Anyway, I got the slowdowns in the waterfall and the cable car areas. The scene with Saddler in the church got out of sync with the audio. Maybe it's because my pc's ancient, but the other RE's ran just fine. Really hope they put up a fix soon.

The other RE's don't have their animations tied to the frame rate.

Dont you need to buy the treasure map first for them to appear? Or my memory is betraying me?

I don't believe I purchased the treasure map, they just showed up as a side quest.

I_D

i7 3770 + GTX670 here. Game runs mostly smoothly, though definitely drops a bit when it's heavily raining, or more than 10ish guys are on screen. Changing AA doesn't seem to do much for performance or IQ.

Screens, some with AA and some without; motion blur off:
bio42014-02-2823-24-231sfp.png

bio42014-02-2823-27-5yhs3g.png

bio42014-02-2823-48-469sof.png

bio42014-02-2823-50-0sns8k.png

Anybody know how to hide the HUD?

epmode

It's strange that so many of the animations work fine at 60 FPS but the all-time best one is still stuck at 30. Fix the rifle reload pls.
I don't believe I purchased the treasure map, they just showed up as a side quest.

The blue medallions will only be on your map if you picked up the little blue piece of paper that's on a tree where the medallions first appear.

Okay, this is a weird one: the snakes hidden in boxes die from the knife hit that breaks the box, so it's impossible for them to bite you. Anyone else getting this?

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the fixed 60 FPS and 30 FPS options seem to cause the game to change it's internal rendering (meaning internal game speed) rate to those FPS respectively.

If you're running this game on a POS ancient laptop like I am (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB), and your system can't output 60 FPS consistently when you've chosen "Fixed 60 FPS" in the Video Options, the game itself will seem to go into "slow motion". So if your system drops to 30 FPS, the game's effective speed will be halved.

The "solution" so to speak is to change it to "Fixed 30 FPS" (yeah, yeah I know..), and then the game will be at the correct speed even when your system is pushing only 30 FPS.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for those with crappy rigs like mine.

Otherwise, I'm having a blast of a time, I can set it to 1080p, 0x AA, HD textures, High Shadows and Motion Blur OFF (Seriously having it ON makes the game look terrible.) and maintain 30 FPS all the time. Using a 360 wired pad, which is good enough for this game.

I'm running an i5-2500k, a AMD 6850 1gb, and 8 gigs of ram. The game runs in slow motion for me. I have everything set to high with 8x AA at 1080 resolution and 60fps.

I would still like to run at 60fps...what should I do to remedy the slow motion? I'd prefer not to set it to 30fps. I feel like my 6850 should be able to better than 30... If I have to turn something down, what would you suggest? Turning 8x AA to 4x?

Grief.exe

I'm running an i5-2500k, a AMD 6850 1gb, and 8 gigs of ram. The game runs in slow motion for me. I have everything set to high with 8x AA at 1080 resolution and 60fps.

I would still like to run at 60fps...what should I do to remedy the slow motion? I'd prefer not to set it to 30fps. I feel like my 6850 should be able to better than 30... If I have to turn something down, what would you suggest? Turning 8x AA to 4x?

I wonder if it is AMD causing the issue. Anyone with Nvidia experiencing constant slowdown?

Either way, a patch is supposedly in the works to fix the problem.

Has anyone reached the Broken Butterfly yet? If that one's locked at 30 too there'll be blood in the streets.

I'm there, I just haven't purchased it yet.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Okay, this is a weird one: the snakes hidden in boxes die from the knife hit that breaks the box, so it's impossible for them to bite you. Anyone else getting this?

Yeah, only happens when you are super close though. Don't know if that is mean't to happen, but i'm glad it does.

My main complaints so far:
-Mouse control is awful, really sticky and nasty, feel forced to use 360 pad.
-Some animations seem to be 30 fps still, like explosions and sniper reload.

Other than that, solid fun. Having 60 fps really helps with aiming, rolling through like a pr0.

Anyone else having issues with like..slow mo in cut scenes only? Lip syncing messes up as a result.

My pc is ass but everything else is running at a solid so far with no issues.

I wonder if it is AMD causing the issue. Anyone with Nvidia experiencing constant slowdown?

Either way, a patch is supposedly in the works to fix the problem.

Well, I just turned AA totally off, and now it seems to run fine at 60fps with everything maxed (but with motion blur off).

So, either my system (i5-2500k, 8gigs ram, 6850 1gb) can't run everything maxed out, or the AA is messed up on AMD cards. Maybe my 6850 just can't handle the AA with the 1080p? I can't even push 2x AA. But, with it turned off, everything maxed out runs fine. ...honestly, I'm not even sure I need the AA with this game. It doesn't seem to make much different to me, but then again, I've only played about 15 minutes and most of that was spent going back and forth trying different configurations.

Grief.exe

Well, I just turned AA totally off, and now it seems to run fine at 60fps with everything maxed (but with motion blur off).

So, either my system (i5-2500k, 8gigs ram, 6850 1gb) can't run everything maxed out, or the AA is messed up on AMD cards. Maybe my 6850 just can't handle the AA with the 1080p? I can't even push 2x AA. But, with it turned off, everything maxed out runs fine. ...honestly, I'm not even sure I need the AA with this game. It doesn't seem to make much different to me, but then again, I've only played about 15 minutes and most of that was spent going back and forth trying different configurations.

You might be right, the AA is just severly unoptimized. You can always force AA through drivers.

JRW

So tonight I had Gamecube RE4 and Ultimate HD running simultaneously and it made me realize I really need to adjust my PC monitor, That or the gamma is preset way to high on PC version, adjusting the in-game brightness slider doesn't help with this symptom, changing my pc lcd's Gamma mode helped.. a little.

Was having the same problems on my laptop with a i7, Nvidia GTX 670MX, and 8gigs ram. Game came to a crawl at some points with 2xAA . AA off and everything works fine.

Grief.exe

So tonight I had Gamecube RE4 and Ultimate HD running simultaneously and it made me realize I really need to adjust my PC monitor, That or the gamma is preset way to high on PC version, adjusting the in-game brightness slider doesn't help with this symptom, changing my pc lcd's Gamma mode helped.. a little.

Do you happen to have postprocessing on in the video settings?

I'll go ahead and try turning mine off and forcing it through Nvidia Inspector then. I get some random slowdown when downsampking from 1440p.

JRW

Do you happen to have postprocessing on in the video settings?

Nope I'm not sure if post processing is working correctly either, the 3 settings just seem to change the tint and it looks pretty awful.

But I mostly fixed my gamma issue just now, I went to control panel / color management / advanced / calibrate display and went through all the steps, Gamma was the only thing that needed adjusting by the time I completed all the steps (It was to high).

It's happened once to me. I wish it happened more!

Is there a way to turn on subtitles? The option is blacked out for me. Oh and how the hell do I exit the game?
The game only has subtitles for the Hunnigan/PDA conversations, unfortunately. If you change the language, it'll have subtitles for that language for mostly everything, though.

As for quitting, menu -> retry/load -> reset game.

i5-2320 and a GTX670, running at a flawless 60fps up through to just before the (boss fight spoiler)
fight against Mendez
. Aside from that rifle reload animation it's been totally perfect so far.

Tarin02543

The mouse sucks. But I keep forgetting that you're a tank in this game.

It's tough to get used to.

Me too. At the moment I'm finalizing my dead space 2 run on hard mode and I keep expecting I can rotate around Leon or stomp the ground for items.

Game is gorgeous and runs supersmooth on my i7-3770/gtx760.

Protip: I bought the game yesterday on Greenmengaming, I only paid 16 € using their -20% voucher.

ShadyJ

780ti OC here and ive maxed everything even with downsampling to 2560 and it runs smooth as butter.

Playing this again re affirms my opinion that the woo controls were the best controls for this game ever.

Zeppeli

Banned
780ti OC here and ive maxed everything even with downsampling to 2560 and it runs smooth as butter.

Playing this again re affirms my opinion that the woo controls were the best controls for this game ever.

660 OC SLI here and I've maxxed everything except post-processing since it adds nothing but a yellow glow.

Locked 60fps at 2560 x 1600.

so1337

Wow. When you first get to the church and shoot the bell, an additional ganado encounter triggers. I beat this game about 8 times but I never noticed this.

Man, I'm getting the cutscene audio desyncs some people have mentioned now =/ I was golden for the first two arcs; but once I got to the island it all went to hell. It's really distracting. Anyone know what could be causing it?

sonicmj1

I've been trying to play this on my laptop with a Radeon HD6470, 8 GB of RAM, and a 2.5 GHz i5, and it's been unplayable. I've tried turning off AA and everything, and the framerate is constantly shit. I can even tell because it runs more smoothly when I'm looking at the ground.

Really disappointing. I hope there's a serious performance fix soon.

I also have a 6850 (cpu is an i7) and I only needed to reduce AA to 4x to get solid 60fps.

There's some weird issue that occasionally causes frame-rate to drop for about a second but it tends to happen when nothing is going on so I doubt messing with the settings will fix it, feels like a bug or something. Fortunately it's rare.

Man, I'm getting the cutscene audio desyncs some people have mentioned now =/ I was golden for the first two arcs; but once I got to the island it all went to hell. It's really distracting. Anyone know what could be causing it?

I think that since the cutscenes are real time, frame-rate drops will cause these sync issues.

Maybe I just have a bad memory, but are certain things hitting way harder than they did in the Gamecube version? the Plagas that swing like an axe do like 3/4 of my health and the catapults in the castle are killing Ashley in one shot.

randomwab

Has anyone noticed that the bolt-action rifle reload and cocking animations are both, seemingly, 30fps? And it's not my game suffering from frame drops because I noticed enemies were still running much smoother right in front of the lower frame animation. It's weird because every other animation I've seen runs fine, but the delicious bolt action animations are running at half the frames.

Also, what's up with the colouring of the rifle's scope/butt? They both show as kind of white when they should be much darker. Anyone else noticed this?

Man the slowdown is really ruining my enjoyment of this. It only happens at some times but its still completely jarring,t hat and the lip sync de-syncing, and the rifle reload being stuck at 30fps...its ridiculous. Ultimate edition my arse

Top Bottom