• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
When you're either victim of an explosion, or you're about to fall from a shot, I press L1 (dunno if it's necessary + tap X (a few times, since there seems to be no punishment if you dont time it right)+back, and I do an immediate roll to recover my standing position.

It's amazing how I did it naturally as if I was expecting a recover to happen, and it happened. I dunno, it feels very intuitive to me despite the total lack of info.

I actually just hold A (X on PS3) and towards the camera on the analog stick, and he just sort of rolls out of it. I will agree that knockdown is retarded, but it does mean that I freak out whenever I see a sniper aiming at me. I generally make it my goal to sprint towards them and take them out.

Also the guys with LMGs tend to knock you down as well, so take care of them quickly.

gconsole

My friend just finish Leon campaign and told me that this is the best final boss fight in the series. I dont want to be over exacgerrate here because I only reach chapter3. But damn. Cant wait to go home and play.

BKJest

I played the first hour of Leon's campaign. I hate Uncharted 2 so much. Not one second without some scripted bullshit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if the story is told better if you try to play it in the chronological order from the OP versus going through the campaigns separately.

Any opinions/insight on that?

Granted I'm only 2 hours into it, but I think it will be fun to have the plot slowly build up over the course of the game, as opposed to building up to a crescendo, beating the final boss, and then having to start from scratch for the other campaigns.

def sim

My friend just finish Leon campaign and told me that this is the best final boss fight in the series. I dont want to be over exacgerrate here because I only reach chapter3. But damn. Cant wait to go home and play.

Really? Huh

During the fight, me and my co-op partner were talking about breeds of dogs and the best one to get. We were just banging the doldrums for the majority of it; it's such a brain dead and time consuming battle.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really? Huh

Me and my co-op partner were talking about breeds of dogs and the best one to get while fighting it. We were just banging the doldrums for the majority of it; it's such a brain dead and time consuming fight.
Man, I just can't get over how polarizing the game is.

I mean, we have people claiming that a boss fight is the best in the series while another feeling it's completely boring.

The hard swings in this discussion are nothing else is not fascinating.

I mean, we have people claiming that a boss fight is the best in the series while another feeling it's completely boring.

Seriously, the entire thread.

I'll probably end up more on the enjoying end when I play it, hopefully.

Scratch

dying respawns you at a checkpoint with full health?

0193_wlqq6.gif

That opening is the true test... either you're on the same page with the game's ridiculousness, or it turns you off completely. I went in with an open mind and embraced the crazy, and it's been fun so far.
Yea its like a 80s action flick in some areas. If I'm in that mindset its not bad. Although I will also say some of the zombie animations are shockingly bad. For example when some die their heads just bounce off. Given how much time they spent on this title and that they finished it much earlier than expected I would've expected a little more polish. I can gloss over little things like that if the game is fun though.

george_us

Coul be interesting to do a survey here, to know the number of how many like it & not.
There are moments where I like it but overall I'm hating it. The mechanics, the level design; damn near everything about the game is utter crap even compared to something like RE5.

def sim

Not to spoil anything, but it's a bullet sponge boss that makes you dodge to the right sometimes. That's it.

Wesker's fight was, at the very least, funny as all hell.

Coul be interesting to do a survey here, to know the number of how many like it & not.

I like it, though this is definitely the worst mainline Resident Evil game I've played. I'm not saying it's bad, a lot of my problems are from a presentation standpoint.

The end of Leon's? I am so perplexed over these opinions. Chris has way better bosses. What in the world is special about that end boss. I'm taking crazy pills!!!

-Amon-

Finally had some time to play RE6. Started from Leon campaign, i'm at the end of the demo section.

I'm liking it atm to be honest. I can understand the hate for the qte's for sure, but apart from that can't really understand what's all this fuss about.

The locations till now are really really nice. It's not a masterpiece for me, but from what i've seen till now i like it much more than RE5.

dark10x

Jesus.

Will wait for PC sale. It will be 1/4th the price by Christmas-time.
Of all quotes to pick.

The game is divisive, plain and simple.

Unfortunately the PC version isn't slated to hit until 2013 so it won't be on sale by Christmas. :(

Ryuuga

Banned
I've only played a few chapters last night, but it feels as though this game does everything in its power to take control away for the slightest of actions.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus.

Will wait for PC sale. It will be 1/4th the price by Christmas-time.

Yeah just ignore every other comment of people who say they are enjoying the game and focus on the most dramatically negative assessment of the game.

I'm personally enjoying the game, although it isn't without its flaws, some of which are large hurdles to overcome (FOV for instance). I think all the negative reviews helped temper my expectations as I went into RE6 expecting a disaster, but it is actually extremely enjoyable.

Edit: Also, I do not understand people who say the game isn't polished. There are no glitches, graphics are great, and the presentation and cutscenes are superb. This game may have problems, but polish and presentation is not one of them.

DangerStepp

Of all quotes to pick.

The game is divisive, plain and simple.

Unfortunately the PC version isn't slated to hit until 2013 so it won't be on sale by Christmas. :(
I was going to wait any way.

Just poking my head in here to get the gist of how GAF feels.

I'll be playing it with a friend and letting the crazy fly. I have no expectations.

JoeFenix

If this game ran perfectly, removed some of the remaining jank and camera issues and had visuals that were consistently good it would be one of my favorite action games easily.

It's just straight up fun to play, even with some terrible level and encounter design I always end up enjoying fighting the enemies. Having to conserve ammo, switching between weapons to stagger and rushing in for the kill is always satisfying.

The game rewards mastery of the controls and good decision making on the fly. If you can learn to work around the jank and accept the lack of polish it ends up being really addicting.

Z3M0G

Anyone else shocked and upset when the demo used a clipped version of this as the XMB backdrop...

...but you found the final game uses a clipped version of this?:

The prior was also a full frame image, where the final image has black area on top and bottom...

def sim

Edit: Also, I do not understand people who say the game isn't polished. There are no glitches, graphics are great, and the presentation and cutscenes are superb. This game may have problems, but polish and presentation is not one of them.

The setpieces and scripted events are not up to par with other big budget games and the vehicle segments look cheap. I also dislike that they're not very forward with the mechanics. People are trying to play this like a typical cover based, third person shooter because it looks very much like one when it's still the same RE gameplay.

Cover system is so bad...

It's great for recovering stamina quickly.

Sojgat

If this game ran perfectly, removed some of the remaining jank and camera issues and had visuals that were consistently good it would be one of my favorite action games easily.

It's just straight up fun to play, even with some terrible level and encounter design I always end up enjoying fighting the enemies. Having to conserve ammo, switching between weapons to stagger and rushing in for the kill is always satisfying.

The game rewards mastery of the controls and good decision making on the fly. If you can learn to work around the jank and accept the lack of polish it ends up being really addicting.

These are my feelings exactly. My hope is Capcom actually patch fixes for some of these issues. It could so easily still be a legitimately great game with some more polish.

Polish more in relation to camera, prompts and QTEs working better/being clearer, online checkpointing glitches, things like that.

dark10x

The setpieces and scripted events are not up to par with other big budget games and the vehicle segments look cheap. I also dislike that they're not very forward with the mechanics. People are trying to play this like a typical cover based, third person shooter because it looks very much like one when it's still the same RE gameplay.
I actually thought a lot of the set pieces were REALLY well done. Not Uncharted 2 quality or anything but certainly well above average. They are able to do a lot of incredible things in engine.

I rented it and I'm going out today to buy it. Turned out to be a surprise hit for me. I hadn't even played the demo until the review thread popped up.

Some issues people have with it are genuine, while others boil down to taste. Regardless, I'm having a really great time with it.

gconsole

Really? Huh

During the fight, me and my co-op partner were talking about breeds of dogs and the best one to get. We were just banging the doldrums for the majority of it; it's such a brain dead and time consuming battle.

Lol i dont know. Its my friend. Not me. He is not a fan of series. But he can enjoy things very easy. So finger cross for me at this point.

A lot of people around me who dont read forum or review seems to enjoy this game too.

Im just at Leon chapter 3. But i can easily give it a better experience than Re5 and ReR. Maybe the bloatiness in later stage would kill this impression I dont know. At least I enjoy it so far :)

JoeFenix

I actually thought a lot of the set pieces were REALLY well done. Not Uncharted 2 quality or anything but certainly well above average. They are able to do a lot of incredible things in engine.

The texture work is downright abysmal in alot of places, the football field in Leon's campaign is WTF levels of horrendous, the survivors look like complete shit and some of the enemy design is straight up Left 4 Dead rejected designs.

It feels like a game that had its art team overwhelmed and they could only select certain parts to bring up to par. You clip through floors when you die, the camera looks at certain objects automatically and wig out through a wall. So many little things are wrong on a presentation standpoint.

It still manages to look good to great alot of the time though, the lowpoints really hurt it.

Oh and I forgot about that dumb house you go into in Leon's chapter 1. That whole section was so fucking horrible, both gameplay wise and visually. Just straight up garbagio dumpster land! The human models and that news anchor flapping lips tv screen, LOL!

dark10x

The texture work is downright abysmal in alot of places, the football field in Leon's campaign is WTF levels of horrendous, the survivors look like complete shit and some of the enemy design is straight up Left 4 Dead rejected designs.

It feels like a game that had its art team overwhelmed and they could only select certain parts to bring up to par. You clip through floors when you die, the camera looks at certain objects automatically and wig out through a wall. So many little things are wrong on a presentation standpoint.

It still manages to look good to great alot of the time though, the lowpoints really hurt it.
I actually feel that the texture variety makes up for the low resolution of some individual surfaces (much like Rage).

While not as broad as the textures in Rage, I feel they did a great job building the overall scenes. If you look too closely at individual elements, however, you'll definitely uncover some issues.

I haven't actually witnessed anything weird with the camera, but I've seen floor clipping occur when you die on an un-even surface.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
Anyone else shocked and upset when the demo used a clipped version of this as the XMB backdrop...

The prior was also a full frame image, where the final image has black area on top and bottom...

Yeah, that upset me as well. I'm keeping the demo installed just for that awesome xmb backdrop. lol.

I didn't like that Chris face was covered in the demo image. I like the new image better... it's iconic! (in the RE universe).

This is certainly one of the more polarizing games in recent memory and, I for one, am really glad I didn’t miss out on it due to a lot of the negativity. I’m LOVING it so far. I've opted to take a very slow and steady approach to the whole thing after taking a couple GAF’ers advice. 've lowered the camera speed and bumped up aiming as well as laying off on the character movement (ie holding back a bit on the stick so the characters walk rather than run). I know there’s moments where I’ll have to haul-ass but, for me, this feels so much more strategic and satisfying.

I’m playing it on PS3 and am very impressed by the presentation, visuals and fantastic lighting. I purchased this on a whim yesterday because I didn’t want to miss out on that great ol’ RE art direction and I’m more than pleased in that respect. I’m pleasantly surprised to find that the game as a whole is far surpassing my, admittedly lowered, expectations. That might not sound like the most glowing praise but I honestly can’t wait to put more time into this as soon as possible.

Tain

The weird thing is that the camera movement when running forward actually manages to exacerbate the situation quite a bit. The way it lurches forward with each step gives the impression of an unstable framerate even during moments when you have a perfect 30 fps.

When you COMBINE this issue with segments where the framerate drops things feel even worse.

I noticed some particularly goofy behavior when it came to the movement of the player model's arm when aiming in sub-30fps situations. The arm holding the gun actually seemed to animate strangely during rotation (weird warping, almost) until I looked up to the ceiling and had the framerate return to 30. Very weird things going on with the animation in this game.

Neiteio

Can anyone link to the highest resolution version of this?

Also, I've done two of Chris' chapters and one of Jake's so far. As predicted, game is mechanically sound in terms of its core gameplay (barring the twitchiness of snapping to/leaning out of cover), and is addictive in its combat and variety, as well as campy shlock, charming characters and amazing creatures.

It's everything else that muddles the game's vision: Chris' first chapter is too crowded; levels in general are hard to read; the strobe-light effect of constant explosions from helicopter missiles in one part of Jake's first chapter is downright nauseating; the enemies will dumbly stand right next to squadmates and nobody will notice them; some QTEs require you to rotate the stick so fast I had to use my right hand on the left analog to turn it like a crank (
pulling the plug on Ogroman as Jake
); other QTEs happen too quick and result in repeat deaths (
Ustanak on the plane: loading ammo and switching to handgun in time to shoot the tank, then tapping X in time to grab the parachute
); and it's often unclear what you need to do in general -- there's an objective marker showing where to go, but boss battles can be a bit obtuse (I'm looking at you,
Ogroman
).

I didn't mind the prologue, though. In fact, it put a big smile on my face. The only jarring bit was where it tells you to move but you can literally push the stick backwards and Leon will still stagger -forward.- Now, I forgive this because I think I know their intent: They're piecemealing out the controls in tutorial fashion, and at that point they were withholding direct control to teach you camera controls, since you can still look around with the right stick. But if so, they definitely could've done it more elegantly.

All in all, though, this is a fun game so far. I wish I was unlocking figurines; I only have files in the collecton cabinet for each campaign so far. But as for the game itself, all in all, it's fun and I look forward to delving deeper.

JoeFenix

I actually feel that the texture variety makes up for the low resolution of some individual surfaces (much like Rage).

While not as broad as the textures in Rage, I feel they did a great job building the overall scenes. If you look too closely at individual elements, however, you'll definitely uncover some issues.

I haven't actually witnessed anything weird with the camera, but I've seen floor clipping occur when you die on an un-even surface.

Get killed by a zombie in Leon's chapters and they do a super closeup of the zombie's face, it looks absolutely atrocious. Internal Capcom games always looked like a million bucks, Dragon's Dogma can look mega jank sometimes but it's open world so you kind of forgive it...

I'll defend this game on some points but there is no way you can say it's polished, some of this stuff just looks straight up AWFUL.

Zombies on the ground that you can't interact with and you just know are gonna spring to life when you backtrack there is REALLY lame too.

Anyway, I'm super anal about visual consistency and polish but this game makes up for its deficiencies in other ways. I'm definitely in the camp that likes the game alot and I think I'm having more fun with it then I did with RE5.

It's just more exciting, RE5 is polished but really dry. This is unhinged and out of control, both gameplay and scenario wise. It's all over the place and that makes it more exciting. Bosses are much more fun than RE5's other than the Jill and Wesker fights.

Have gotten very little sleep after playing through Leon on Veteran with Jake 4 Veteran up next. Doing my own thing, the order I went in was Jake 1, Leon 1, Jake 2, Jake 3, then stuck with Leon 2-End. I chose Jake first to get the apparent worst of the QTE's out of the way but Leon gets hit with them plenty too.

I'm generally enjoying the game but I also have no doubt that the Resident Evil characters old and new that I enjoy putting through their paces influences my enthusiasm.

It truly is an ambitious mess. With some terrible chapters (
Leon 3
uggh) mixed with good--or at least entertaining--ones (parts of the lengthy
Leon 2
and ymmv "Michael Bay-ish"
Jake 3
), mix in aggravating QTEs and surprise deaths. Yet the core shooting and melee action I actually enjoy.

Reviews giving it a 6-7 to a general audience are generally on target from what I've seen. But that is a baseline score from which one must determine how enthusiastic they are about past RE and how adventurous they may be in gameplay terms. For me when it all comes together such as
temporarily teaming Leon with Ada a couple times
or successfully managing crowds with well-timed shots, melee, slides and rolls, I really like it. Looking forward to finishing up Jake/Sherry and then getting to the Chris campaign.

NIN90

You probably hovered over agent hunt, that requires you to complete a campaign.

Okay, I'm now in the extra content menu and "The Mercenaries" is greyed out and it says "Unlocked after all campaigns have been completed"

Soooo errrrr, what?

I want to give a big thank you to Dusk Golem, for his scenario/chapter play through order. It's making so much sense of the story, as I'm playing through the game. So far, I'm on (nearing the end of) Leon's first chapter, and I'm loving the narrative of this game. Everything is just so big, so epic, so very Resident Evil. The series has always played in its own unique way, never following the trends of other games. The series has always controlled and funneled the player along to the beat of its own drum, through every installment.

I can say, thus far, this game is the core of Resident Evil. Having said this, it feels far more true to the characters and roots of their struggles/personalities, than either 4 or 5. Everything is so much more varied, eerie and atmospheric than 4 or 4. While 4 and 5 were excellent games, they were not excellent Resident Evil games. I don't know where I would place this yet, compared to 0,1,2,3,CV or Revelations; definitely like it more than 4 or 5 as of now.

***i can see how the controls, initially are overwhelming - so many button options and functions, but after coming to grips and setting thins as I want them - I can't see how any credible fan of the series from 1996->today could give this anything less than an 8...

for those who have finished all 3 campaigns, would you recommend playing each campaign individually or switch between all 3 and play them chronologically?

My friend and I spent about 10 hours playing it yesterday and we're having a blast. My friend has bought every worthwhile game this year, and he says so far RE6 is his GOTY.

Top Bottom