• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There is a co-op bug, if you want your game to save as a Pro walkthrough, you must start a Pro single player game first. If you have your difficulty set to Normal and you join a Pro game, you will play on pro, but the game will register that you beat the chapter on Normal.

I hope they fix it soon enough.

So hang on. I can start a game on Professional, then start a co-op game on Amateur, and it will register as me having beat the game on Professional, along with all associated achievements?

Yes.gif

Some people in this thread compared the combat in this game to Vanquish? I mean...wow
When you dodge a
Bloodshot
(spoiler is just a certain zombie name) by running towards him, diving in, and shooting him (which a shotgun) while he's over you... you'll know what those guys are talking about.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
RE4 used this as well.

Downing enemies and "stomping" them out has been part of the series since RE4.

Hmm I don't remember this. I always thought Chris "Falcon Punch" Redfield was the first RE character to consider stomping on someone as a sign of his extreme disdain for that inferior life form.

Nemesis_

So hang on. I can start a game on Professional, then start a co-op game on Amateur, and it will register as me having beat the game on Professional, along with all associated achievements?

Yes.gif

UMM, DO IT THE PROPER WAY you HEATHEN

Professional isn't even that hard. ;_;

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I did. Combat is fucking awful.
That was actually my first reaction to the game back when the demo was released.

As you learn how to play and make use of the systems provided (which, unfortunately, the game fails to inform you of) it all starts to make sense. There is some really entertaining combat in this game.

It certainly isn't perfect, of course, but it has enough unique elements and exciting enough pacing to make it work. It really doesn't play like any other shooter and, unfortunately, trying to play it like one isn't all that satisfying.

It's a flawed but deep and interesting system. I feel it was worth the effort to learn it.

I actually put some time into Mercenaries for just that purpose. It gives you an open playground in which to practice.

and ont he original PSX games when you got caught by a crawling zombie, you would react by stomping their head, crushing it to a bloody pulp.
True. That was a completely different mechanic altogether, but you definitely got your stomping on.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
UMM, DO IT THE PROPER WAY you HEATHEN

Professional isn't even that hard. ;_;

Haha I'll probably beat it on Professional at some point. This is usually how I play games:

1. Normal playthrough for the story.
2. Easy playthrough for all collectibles and secret achievements.
3. Hard playthrough for the difficulty achievements.

However if I finish the game and find myself really not wanting to play it on Hard due to random retarded difficulty spikes, then I will use any glitches to cheese my way to that achievement.

Haha I'll probably beat it on Professional at some point. This is usually how I play games:

1. Normal playthrough for the story.
2. Easy playthrough for all collectibles and secret achievements.
3. Hard playthrough for the difficulty achievements.

However if I finish the game and find myself really not wanting to play it on Hard due to random retarded difficulty spikes, then I will use any glitches to cheese my way to that achievement.

apparently, this would require you to start campaign on pro. Leaving it, then joining another player with a lower difficulty (if thats what you're looking for). It could take a while to make the whole pro campaign complete.

ZeroCDR

Could you context-stomp downed enemies in RE4? I recently did my first Pro run and I don't think I could.. Just pop, suplex, knife the grounded body lol

I know you can in RE5, worked very nice.

dark10x

Even if it is, doesn't stop it from being more similar to Vanquish than it is to Gears.
It's really surprisingly true.

Gears is all about taking cover and moving from safe point to safe point while taking out mostly distant enemies along the way with the occasional close quarters encounter. It's awesome.

Vanquish is a very different kind of shooter, however, and encourages the player to interrupt and stagger enemies while dealing with them in smaller chunks often at close range. Both RE6 and Vanquish reward this sort of close quarters aggressive play. When you start throwing in all of the acrobatics it starts to make sense.

Gears plays nothing like that.

As with Vanquish, however, RE6 DOES allow you to attempt to play it more like Gears in that you can just hang back behind cover while taking shots with the occasional close quarters encounter in there. You'll find both games become frustrating when attempting to play like this, however.

I don't believe so, though I could be wrong. I thought in RE4 you had to down them and knife them.
You can do that as well (in both 4 and 5). It uses a lot of context sensitive button presses for many actions, however. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Gbraga

It's really surprisingly true.

Gears is all about taking cover and moving from safe point to safe point while taking out mostly distant enemies along the way with the occasional close quarters encounter. It's awesome.

Vanquish is a very different kind of shooter, however, and encourages the player to interrupt and stagger enemies while dealing with them in smaller chunks often at close range. Both RE6 and Vanquish reward this sort of close quarters aggressive play. When you start throwing in all of the acrobatics it starts to make sense.

Gears plays nothing like that.

As with Vanquish, however, RE6 DOES allow you to attempt to play it more like Gears in that you can just hang back behind cover while taking shots with the occasional close quarters encounter in there. You'll find both games become frustrating when attempting to play like this, however.

Where do I sign?

Risgroo

Just finished the Chris campaign, and I had a blast. Not quite as good as Leon's, but it was still very fun. Chapter 3 was the best IMO. On to Jake!

def sim

I finished my professional run last night and it's really not so bad. It's just the standard stagger to melee fest or run away from fights altogether. The most frustrating parts are usually QTE or chopper related.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I can't fathom how dumb and simple "Normal" must be, because "Professional" is NOT living up to its namesake or description.

Achievement whores dive in freely, the water is calm.

NIN90

Then I'd like to see some videos of high level play.

Just one thing that annoys the crap out of me is how enemies with guns shoot me and I fall down for no reason. This completely breaks the flow for me.

What are these advanced maneuvers in this game? I guess sliding and melee?
In Vanquish I can distract enemies with a cigarette, then throw a grenade from cover, jump over said cover in slomo, shoot the grenade midair and then slide all over the battlefield, shotgunning robots in the face.

Sojgat

I did. Combat is fucking awful.

It can be. At first, because of the way Capcom have designed the game, there is almost no way for it not to be. There's no explanation or feedback for anything and all the mechanics are gimped by having the skills locked.

The first 2 chapters of Leon's campaign are the worst for this IMO, and that's what most people will also play first. To elbow an enemy coming up behind you, you have to be facing away from said enemy, but rotate the camera to face them, then attack. When you get grappled the prompt shows you to wiggle one stick or tap A, it's far more effective to wiggle both sticks and tap A before the prompt even appears, same idea goes for counters.

The combat itself isn't fucking awful, it's usability is. Though it could be argued that's effectively the same thing.

Grisby

(Random not really plot specific dialog from Leon CH4)
"Agent Sherry Birkin."

"He's been in this as long as I have."

Man, this game is making me feel old. I love it though. I'm such a sucker for RE's story bits.

Yea, I can't fathom how dumb and simple "Normal" must be, because "Professional" is NOT living up to its namesake or description.

Achievement whores dive in freely, the water is calm.

Pro Mode in RE5 is pretty hardcore... one bite and you're down, dying and crying for help, and you have like a second to be revived.

Is it not the same here?

ironcreed

Banned
I cant lie...I like qtes sometimes, but I do think some are too hard to complete on pro difficulty. They take too many rapid movements (rotating the stick, etc.) to actually match the bar. Now the normal push button QTE? I'm fine with.

EDIT: I'm finding a combo of classic and new controls work best. Classic attack controls paired with new aiming & laser sight for me. What use is Leon's knife again?

Yeah, other than the stick wiggle QTE and the vehicle sections (which suck), the other quick time events are not done badly at all. They call for quick reaction time and keep you on your toes. This is hardly a watered down affair and you will get your ass kicked if you are not careful, even on normal. You have to make use of all your skills, quick mix/heal at the right times and make quick use of the inventory on the D-Pad. It requires you to think and act fast and it flows perfectly for me. Once you get used to it, the system is extremely intuitive.

Gbraga

Then I'd like to see some videos of high level play.

Just one thing that annoys the crap out of me is how enemies with guns shoot me and I fall down for no reason. This completely breaks the flow for me.

What are these advanced maneuvers in this game? I guess sliding and melee?
In Vanquish I can distract enemies with a cigarette, then throw a grenade from cover, jump over said cover in slomo, shoot the grenade midair and then slide all over the battlefield, shotgunning robots in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlTPHdssA8

Those are my favorites, from a fellow GAFer

Gbraga

Yeah, I'd love to try the Mercenaries mode but hell no there is no way I'm forcing my way through all 3 campaigns. I just value my time too much for 20+ hours of so-so gameplay at best.

I think it's unlocked from the start, someone even suggested that people spend a little time on Mercs before jumping to the campaign in order to get a hang of the combat.

dark10x

Yeah, I'd love to try the Mercenaries mode but hell no there is no way I'm forcing my way through all 3 campaigns. I just value my time too much for 20+ hours of so-so gameplay at best.
What? You can try it almost right away. I spent time with it after playing the campaign for just 30 minutes (it may have been available before that even).

The point is that Mercs allows you to work on your skills and learn the game which can then be applied to the campaign. Everything I learned from playing it could be applied directly to the campaign.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's all this talk about waggling both sticks and tapping A when you get grappled? How is that physically possible? I can either waggle both sticks, or waggle the left stick and tap A. How many fingers do you guys have?

What's all this talk about waggling both sticks and tapping A when you get grappled? How is that physically possible? I can either waggle both sticks, or waggle the left stick and tap A. How many fingers do you guys have?

PS3 version, you can waggle both sticks with one hand Mario Party 1 style, and can mash buttons with the other

I'm trippin' balls; Chris's Chapter 4 is fucking sublime.

Faaaaar and away the most enjoyable section of Chris' campaign. If only they were all that good.

Despera

Banned
Is the stick waggling simultaneous or subsequent?

Vossler

Diving into this tonight, honestly not expecting it to be all that bad. RE4 was my first, and I like the continuation that 5 and now 6 have taken.

Man can't wait to get back from work. Time goes by so slowly...

There is a co-op bug, if you want your game to save as a Pro walkthrough, you must start a Pro single player game first. If you have your difficulty set to Normal and you join a Pro game, you will play on pro, but the game will register that you beat the chapter on Normal.

I hope they fix it soon enough.

Wow. That's terrible. $60 wasted. I'm going to finish game just because and then I'm going to shoot it with buckshot.

Sojgat

There is much more to it than those video's even show. Capcom have provided very little explanation. The loading screens have some good tips (somebody should collect all of those). I've been scouring the internet for a place that explains stuff, read through this thread (could get painful) or ign's wiki has some basic info, but its also fucking painful to navigate.

http://au.ign.com/wikis/resident-evil-6/Campaign_Starter_Guide

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 version, you can waggle both sticks with one hand Mario Party 1 style, and can mash buttons with the other

Oh. So wait, when it says to waggle, it means both sticks and not just the left stick? If true, that would explain why I kept failing the one in Chris' chapter 2. I had to resort to using my palm to waggle the left stick super fast, and even then I only barely managed to do it.

Sojgat

Oh. So wait, when it says to waggle, it means both sticks and not just the left stick? If true, that would explain why I kept failing the one in Chris' chapter 2. I had to resort to using my palm to waggle the left stick super fast, and even then I only barely managed to do it.

In case you get the A QTE I just bash that as well, it makes it much easier, it's never explained though. The key I've found, is not to bother waiting for the prompts.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Well I'm
in front of the cathedral
in Leon's campaign so here's my two pesos:

-the very first thing I noticed when I started was that some (many) of the textures on objects are downright horrible. And I don't mean to use "horrible" like most of GAF does in some transparently hyperbolic way. We're talking Half-Life 1 textures here, a pixelated smear of color on a simple polygon.
Looking out onto the university football field was just embarrassing

-the frame rate is the jankiest I have ever seen in an RE title. It often struggles to hold a solid 30fps and the flow of movement/combat really takes a hit because of it.

-character and enemy models are pretty damn nice looking, the latter in particular. Complaints about bullet impacts are way overblown to me; a shot or two in the shoulder will spin a zombie around, in the legs will cause one to stumble and fall, etc. Each shot also blows meaty holes in the zombies which is something I've been waiting to see since RE4.

-NPC models look pretty bad and out-of-place for some reason. It looks like they went all out in designing the main characters and enemies then threw together much simpler models for the survivors you encounter and they stick out like a sore thumb as a result.

-Leon's HUD and item selection screen is a hot mess.

-it's nice that Helena is invincible and doesn't have to be armed from your ammo stores but she's still an annoying AI partner that really kills any sense of tension or desperation in Leon's campaign, which is a shame because...

- ...I got major RE2 vibes from the scenery of Leon's romp so far. There's some nice - although linear - set pieces where if you close your eyes you can almost pretend you're playing the REmake of RE2.

That's about it so far. I understand now why the reviews are so crazily polarized. Sure there's a race among some idiots to outdo one another with criticisms and bad scores but there's definitely a lot to be criticized in a game that was apparently Capcom's biggest, most expensive project to date. It completely lacks the polish one would expect from an RE title. It's by no means a terrible game, however.

If you're talking about that boss fight, it gets easier after every attempt, but yeah rotating both sticks does make it go faster. The QTE recognizes either stick, so doing both means it recognizes twice as many rotations.

Top Bottom