• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Neiteio

Why are the QTEs so badly designed?

I'm trying to climb a rope in Leon chapter 5 and Leon keeps randomly falling? wtf? I've been at this for like 15 minutes. What kind of horseshit is this?
Hold one button, and while still holding it, don't release it until you're pressing the other. It's like you're actually climbing the rope, hand over hand.

I haven't done that spoilered QTE yet, but that sounds very similar to a
climbing QTE in Jake chapter 5
which also took me forever to figure out.

Also, weirdly enough, for every time I've done a chapter of this game on Professional by myself, I've got an S rank, but whenever I do co-op I get like A or B.

I've found the AI more reliable than the couple of real people I've played with =P

edit: however, duo mercs is the way to go

Any Mercenaries tips?
timers first
middle of map
if your combo starts blinking go crazy on the first thing you see(even if other side of the map)
alt Sherry, alt Helena and standard Chris are easiest to keep a combo.
if you know that you can get a 50 combo, use limit breaker skill

Ken

timers first
middle of map
if your combo starts blinking go crazy on the first thing you see(even if other side of the map)
if you can get a 50 combo use limit breaker skill

What about just killing guys with the new melee combat gauge thing versus how it was unlimited melee before.

I haven't done that spoilered QTE yet, but that sounds very similar to a
climbing QTE in Jake chapter 5
which also took me forever to figure out.
Yeeep, my friend and I couldn't figure it out for a few minutes and were just blindly mashing the triggers. lol I then realized how you actually had to do it and felt like the biggest idiot ever.

What about just killing guys with the new melee combat gauge thing versus how it was unlimited melee before.
by the time that you'd run it low you'll probably be too swarmed to use it anyway.

guick shot shouldn't be used much after 20 besides on dogs, mini bosses and stragglers.

ironcreed

Banned
I was just thinking back on how much more crisp, focused and polished RE5 was compared to this. Wish I still had it. I may just get the Gold Edition with the add-ons I missed here before too long. I was looking over some footage earlier for comparison and it just looks and plays so much better, despite not being able to move and shoot.

timers first
middle of map
if you know that you can get a 50 combo, use limit breaker skill

avoid steel beast.

it's like... a map designed for rifle combat.sometimes I gotta run for 10+ good seconds to find any enemy.

Replicant

Finally killed a Chris in Agent Hunt using that J'avo that looks like a Killzone reject. He was persistently tough until he had to cross the gap by using a pole. Me and another creature player basically kept swiping at him before he can even go further than a few meter. Then he fell to his death. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Err...I mean, the poor bastard.

Nemesis_

Finally killed a Chris in Agent Hunt using that J'avo that looks like a Killzone reject. He was persistently tough until he had to cross the gap by using a pole. Me and another creature player basically kept swiping at him before he can even go further than a few meter. Then he fell to his death. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Err...I mean, the poor bastard.

I hope you never join my games ;_;

Actually, when thinking about it, Resident Evil 5 was kind of made to tie up some loose ends from Resident Evil 1, and Resident Evil 6 was made to kind of tie up some loose ends from Resident Evil 2. At least it seems like it.
So RE7 will cover RECVs events meaning the return of Claire.
Sherry and Jake should get a spinoff. Seriously. The pair is just delicious.
RE10 you play as sherry and jake having to save and protect their superbaby that an evil pharmaceutical company wants.
The whole premise of Sherry being in the game is just a little too weird to me. I haven't done the Jake chapter yet but everyone is like, "Sherry Birkin? Oh. ok."

I'm like SHE HAS BEEN MIA FOR 10 YEARS SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING
Playing in chronological order that dusk golem posted it doesn't seem bizare. Her reunion with Leon is actually sweet. However if you've only played Leons campaign I can see how his casual attitude could be jarring when you'd think it'd be a "omg you're alive" as tears are streaming down his face.
Did someone just say Leon's Chapter 2 is crappy? :O

I thought that chapter was perfect, like a missing act from RE4 or something. Amazing atmosphere with the rain at night, amazing settings from start to finish, amazing mid-boss, amazing final boss, great character build-up with the boss, a cool revelation with the "hatching," cool L4D-style holdout, the NPCs, the puzzles, etc. Just perfect.

Holy shit! That's awesome!
It was good but I thought it was poorly paced. The chapter, much like most of leons campaign, needed to have clean breaks.

Replicant

I hope you never join my games ;_;

In my defense, it's really hard killing anyone as this particular J'avo. It's so weak and his attack is just R1 to claw (and he does it slowly). Even when you got shot and turned into Chrysallide brute (Napad?), the brute is so slow and his punch rarely registers correctly. On a hindsight playing as Shrieker and Raskpalanje were so much easier.

Don't worry, I'll get to you eventually....hopefully as Lepotitsa. >:D

Noi

In my defense, it's really hard killing anyone as this particular J'avo. It's so weak and his attack is just R1 to claw (and he does it slowly). Even when you got shot and turned into Chrysallide brute (Napad?), the brute is so slow and his punch rarely registers correctly. On a hindsight playing as Shrieker and Raskpalanje were so much easier.

Don't worry, I'll get to you eventually....hopefully as Lepotitsa. >:D

lol. From just the last page:

Figuring out the little things you can do with enemies is what keeps making me come back to Agent Hunt. This is again partially due to poor documentation, but the knife Umbrella J'avo actually have 3 attacks. Two of them are completely useless because they literally take 5 seconds for the attack to come out and you have to be in close range, but the third attack is basically using the knife like the survival/combat knife, only the attacks listed on the bottom of the screen never mention that. Same with being able to pounce on enemies with any zombie that isn't holding anything by sprinting and pressing L1. :| I hated playing as both until I figured those out on my own.

Spazznid

avoid steel beast.

it's like... a map designed for rifle combat.sometimes I gotta run for 10+ good seconds to find any enemy.

There's a spot on Steel Beast where you stand and enemies just walk up these stairs. it's about a 5 foot by 5 foot area and my partner and I just stood there comboing everything that came up the stairs for four minutes, once we found it. they don't really spawn anywhere else unless we leave the spot.

Replicant

Figuring out the little things you can do with enemies is what keeps making me come back to Agent Hunt. This is again partially due to poor documentation, but the knife Umbrella J'avo actually have 3 attacks. Two of them are completely useless because they literally take 5 seconds for the attack to come out and you have to be in close range, but the third attack is basically using the knife like the survival/combat knife, only the attacks listed on the bottom of the screen never mention that. Same with being able to pounce on enemies with any zombie that isn't holding anything by sprinting and pressing L1. :| I hated playing as both until I figured those out on my own.

So are you saying pressing L1 before pressing R1 does better job than just pressing R1? Damn, now I kind of want to try it again.

Spazznid

also, to do the counter in mercenaries, do you wait till the very moment the button promt comes up? Or do you just mash R till it works?

Noi

So are you saying pressing L1 before pressing R1 does better job than just pressing R1? Damn, now I kind of want to try it again.

That's right! I'm sure plain R1 does more damage than the simple Aim + R1, but I'll take two swipes that do leas damage but are very likely to hit over one that does more but misses 90% of the time.

I don't really get why people are hating on this game. I just beat Chris' campaign(on normal, as Piers) and the first chapter of Leon's(on hard, as Helena) and Jake's(on professional, as Jake) in co-op, and so far it's really good, much better than RE5. Tons of variety in enemy types, insane number of animations and lots of fun quirks. Melee is more fun than previous games and the overall atmosphere feels like RE5 with an RE2/3 aesthetic.

Sure, the upgrade system isn't as cool and there's no inventory but I don't think it takes away from any of the fun of the game. It's less personal than previous games but more flexible and I think the overall gameplay is better for it. The story is more sparse than before, but the weaving aspect is really fun and unique that gives the game a cool twist. Mercenaries is as fun as ever and I'm really looking forward to Agent Hunt.

Really the only legitimate complaint I have is that some of the interior levels can be too hard to see and it strains my eyes sometimes despite turning the in-game brightness up to 30.

+massive content and variety
+control scheme streamlined and expanded
+best combat yet
+love the voice acting and tropey story
+awesome, awesome multiplayer

-dark levels too much sometimes
-quick shot is too baller

Alfredo

Just finished the three main campaigns, and I like the game. I feel like Leon's is by far the worse. It seems to have the most problems, at least for me.

It seems to have the bad framerate, the overdone QTEs, and the camera is especially bad in closed in, claustrophobic areas. Leon's campaign has all that in spades. Plus I find fighting zombies way more annoying to fight that J'avo. It may be the most "Resident Evil" of the campaigns, but I like it the least, weirdly enough.

Chris's and Jake's campaigns also have their fair share of design issues, but I found them to be more fun than Leon's. The snowstorm and stealth section in Jake's were pretty weird, but they didn't get frustrating. The vehicle sequences were pretty dumb, though.

This game also has a lot of common with 50 Cent Blood on the Sand, which I find intriguing... :)

I need to finish the last campaign, but so far, I think the game is really cool... but not worth 60 dollars.

Sojgat

When it runs low, jump on to your back for a few seconds it will recharge faster, and you can keep shooting enemies or throw a grenade into a big group.

also, to do the counter in mercenaries, do you wait till the very moment the button promt comes up? Or do you just mash R till it works?

Don't wait for the prompt, just watch for when an enemy lunges or swings at you then press the button. This can be done to cancel a reload, so you're never totally defenseless.

Noi

My own nitpick over the inventory system is that I can't pick and choose what weapons I want on me without simply not picking them up ever. I liked RE5's reliability on knowing that if I pressed a dpad direction I'd always get the item/weapon assigned to it, and I HAVE died in the game while fumbling for the weapon I want to use once you have everyone. Plus, not having a weapon on you means you don't get ammo for stuff you don't want/need.

Being able to auto-combine any herbs you have without opening the inventory though? Fantastic. Do wish they did more than recover one square of health though.

Xevren

You can press the heal button more than once to heal more than one square. I do agree with you about the inventory gripes though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My own nitpick over the inventory system is that I can't pick and choose what weapons I want on me without simply not picking them up ever. I liked RE5's reliability on knowing that if I pressed a dpad direction I'd always get the item/weapon assigned to it, and I HAVE died in the game while fumbling for the weapon I want to use once you have everyone. Plus, not having a weapon on you means you don't get ammo for stuff you don't want/need.

Being able to auto-combine any herbs you have without opening the inventory though? Fantastic. Do wish they did more than recover one square of health though.

Can you trash weapons you don't want for a particular chapter? Will they be back next chapter?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

How many times you tap the 'take a pill' button is how many squares of health you'll heal as you can consume more than one pill at a time.

Noi

To be fair, they also recharge your stamina.

D'oh, forgot to mention that too. I guess I miss the relief over finding herbs in this as much as the other games, partially because they're a tad too rare now, but don't provide as much immediate recovery as they used to.

How many times you tap the 'take a pill' button is how many squares of health you'll heal as you can consume more than one pill at a time.

I'm aware of this as well! I know that technically Red + Green gives you enough health pills for a full heal, which is what the combination always did, but I guess the nature of the pills makes me more likely to just pop one and try to make it last just so I have leftover pills to heal my parter/instantly recover stamina. With the old style herbs, it was kind of just "use the herb, heal up, keep on truckin'" with not much thought to it.

News Bot

Banned
Went through a lot of the Japanese files, and holy fuck does the official translation suck. I mean, it always does, but it's worse than usual this time. They made quite a lot up out of thin air, often not making any sense.

Accurate Translation said:
"The involvement of the t-Virus and G-Virus has been confirmed."

Inaccurate Translation said:
They didn't come up with much to help make sense of the incident other than the fact that the T-Virus and G-Virus were the cause of the zombies.

The G-Virus doesn't create zombies.

The FOS file implies that Leon works for the FOS. It makes no mention of him actually working for the DSO. Pretty lousy translation when the full name of the DSO is spelled out in English yet is missing completely in the translation. Sloppy, sloppy work.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So based on the teaser... hopefully
Jake is just going to be some DLC mission and not a full game around him

RE7 cannot be
Jake.............
I will be so disappointed.

Ken

Watching leon's campaign .. people are really over reacting .. the games is super fun

Yeah, but there are also parts that aren't super fun. I think people just get hung up too much on the annoying parts and fail to see the parts that are fun just to hate on the game.

Noi

Can you trash weapons you don't want for a particular chapter? Will they be back next chapter?

Can't discard weapons at all, which goes back to my nitpick of not being able to manage what weapons I'm carrying. The game at some points kind of assumes that you're picking up every weapon available to you (and some are actually easy to miss if you play with UI off like I initially did). As a result, you have to carry every weapon, which makes more ammo types spawn, which means less space/chances for ammo you REALLY need at the moment. It was a bit annoying in the final campaign because
Ada
gets a lot of weapons, two of which have alternate ammo, and two of which burn through ammo quickly, so you usually carry 2 spaces worth to make up for it. The result is that I could never carry grenades and had to always throw stuff away to pick up/combine herbs because I was always full. :(

Something I read here did make me curious about alternate weapon locations though. Someone mentioned that the weapon you get in Chris chapter 2 (which is very missable) actually shows up again at a later point, which makes me wonder if the same applies to the other weapons in the game.

Omg, Noi, I just realized you're on backlog.

It's a small world after all!

Ken

For Jake's campaign, is there a Bear Commander in the environment to pick up as Sherry? I was surprised when at one point she said she had some explosive rounds and magically the Bear Commander appeared.

bumpkin

So I'm about two or so hours into Leon's campaign, and I really hate to say this, but I am not enjoying myself at all. At first I was excited to have a return to a sort of dark and eerie atmosphere and my boy Leon, but that melted away pretty quick. First it was areas with shit-for-visibility
like the dark stairway in the sewers where I kept getting grabbed by an enemy I simply didn't (or couldn't) see
. Then it was
getting insta-death'ed two or three times by the train that I couldn't dodge despite having been able to dodge another no less than 15 minutes prior with a QTE

And when enemies grab you, this whole business of either having to mash A or wiggle the analog stick -- which seems to be picked randomly -- while your health just drains is outright obnoxious.

Oh, and an enemy being able to take *multiple* shots to the forehead without dying? Ugh.

Even as radical of a departure as RE5 was to the established rules of engagement, I still enjoyed that. I didn't hate it within an hour of starting to play it. :(

Noi

For Jake's campaign, is there a Bear Commander in the environment to pick up as Sherry? I was surprised when at one point she said she had some explosive rounds and magically the Bear Commander appeared.

*points to my previous post above*

Well, speak of the devil. You can actually get the Bear Commander in Chapter 3,
behind the locked gate in the room where the tank first bursts in, by feeding the statue all 16 icons.

Ken

*points to my previous post above*
]

Yeah that's what prompted me to ask that. It's weird because that's the first time in the 3 main campaigns any of the characters actually reference having a specific weapon, IIRC.

I know I haven't really given this a fair chance yet but I have just played chapter 1 of Leon and have zero desire to even progress further. Everything about my play through of the chapter just felt like work and for me it seems as though the camera is too close. I also seemed to have enemies that spawned out of thin air. The siege in the gun store was just an awkward mess where close quarter fighting and the persepctive just didn't work.

As much as a mis-step RE 5 was I could at least play through that. I will give it another shot but so far nothing in my short play time has given me any desire to continue. You can't even accept it purely as an action game because even as that it still falls pretty flat.
Everything just feels so slap-dash and clumsy.

DonMigs85

Can't discard weapons at all, which goes back to my nitpick of not being able to manage what weapons I'm carrying. The game at some points kind of assumes that you're picking up every weapon available to you (and some are actually easy to miss if you play with UI off like I initially did). As a result, you have to carry every weapon, which makes more ammo types spawn, which means less space/chances for ammo you REALLY need at the moment. It was a bit annoying in the final campaign because
Ada
gets a lot of weapons, two of which have alternate ammo, and two of which burn through ammo quickly, so you usually carry 2 spaces worth to make up for it. The result is that I could never carry grenades and had to always throw stuff away to pick up/combine herbs because I was always full. :(

Something I read here did make me curious about alternate weapon locations though. Someone mentioned that the weapon you get in Chris chapter 2 (which is very missable) actually shows up again at a later point, which makes me wonder if the same applies to the other weapons in the game.

It's a small world after all!

Yeah that's why there are skills that make certain ammo types appear more frequently.

Noi

Yeah that's why there are skills that make certain ammo types appear more frequently.

And that goes into my complaints about the under-cooked skill system, but eh, another time.

I know I haven't really given this a fair chance yet but I have just played chapter 1 of Leon and have zero desire to even progress further. Everything about my play through of the chapter just felt like work and for me it seems as though the camera is too close. I also seemed to have enemies that spawned out of thin air. The siege in the gun store was just an awkward mess where close quarter fighting and the persepctive just didn't work.

As much as a mis-step RE 5 was I could at least play through that. I will give it another shot but so far nothing in my short play time has given me any desire to continue. You can't even accept it purely as an action game because even as that it still falls pretty flat.
Everything just feels so slap-dash and clumsy.

Play a campaign that isn't Leon's. Leon 1 is pretty poorly designed overall, but even Leon 2 is better by virtue of not having the first 15 minutes being unable to move faster than a crawl.

Sojgat

So I'm about two or so hours into Leon's campaign, and I really hate to say this, but I am not enjoying myself at all. At first I was excited to have a return to a sort of dark and eerie atmosphere and my boy Leon, but that melted away pretty quick. First it was areas with shit-for-visibility
like the dark stairway in the sewers where I kept getting grabbed by an enemy I simply didn't (or couldn't) see
. Then it was
getting insta-death'ed two or three times by the train that I couldn't dodge despite having been able to dodge another no less than 15 minutes prior with a QTE

And when enemies grab you, this whole business of either having to mash A or wiggle the analog stick -- which seems to be picked randomly -- while your health just drains is outright obnoxious.

Oh, and an enemy being able to take *multiple* shots to the forehead without dying? Ugh.

Even as radical of a departure as RE5 was to the established rules of engagement, I still enjoyed that. I didn't hate it within an hour of starting to play it. :(

It's my least favourite of the campaigns, but when you know what to expect it's a lot more enjoyable.

Remember to counter enemies (press melee when they begin an attack animation/are about to hit you).

Waggle both the sticks during the grappling QTEs to make them easier, also buy the breakout skill.

Use the quick shot, dodge, and slide (dump mines at the feet of big groups when you slide).

Inc grenades are also really useful. You don't need to worry about using explosives too much because you will find plenty.

Nothing can be done about the bad set piece/one off sequences though, many are just annoying.

It's insane how much this game is growing on me now. It might be the fact that playing on professional is more fun....but everything is just clicking with me now. It's slowly climbing the ranks to be one of my favourite main RE's!

Not too shabby since the first time I played the demo I thought it was utter garbage. Once you work out the insane amount of different mechanics the game blossoms. I love the craziness and the creativity is a miracle after RE5.

JoeFenix

It's insane how much this game is growing on me now. It might be the fact that playing on professional is more fun...but everything is just clicking with me now. It's slowly climbing the ranks to be one of my favourite main RE's!

Not too shabby since the first time I played the demo I though it was utter garbage. Once you work out the insane amount of different mechanics the game blossoms. I love the craziness and the creativity is a miracle after RE5.

I feel the same way, I am in danger of becoming a HUGE fan of this game.

I always liked the mechanics but now I absolutely adore them. I think it's one of those games where you only have fun with it if you are really good at it. The amount of options available to you.... SO GOOD!

I actually really like the characters and the intersecting scenarios, I think both are handled really well and are WAY more interesting than RE5. I need to replay that game after having S ranked most of 6 on Professional, need some perspective.

I have a feeling 5 will feel really stale and boring after the combat options available in 6. We'll see, either way RE6 is a fantastic action game with some polish and camera issues. People will look back more positively on this game some years down the line.

The worst thing that could happen is that they dumb down the mechanics for the next installment because people couldn't come to grips with them. I want RE7 with this gameplay and better everything else!

Top Bottom