• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

GeekyDad

I almost spit out my coffee. As someone still struggling to even get past the first level of the putrid shitpile ORC I'm hoping you're having a little bit of fun here... and cannot be serious.

I hope so too. I was really looking forward to Ada's romp.

Sectus

It's good but the final chapter is beyond terrible and leaves a bad taste. Also lame, forced stealth sequences are lame.
The forced stealth sections aren't actually forced though. You don't fail if spotted, it just turns into an action sequence at that point. It's pretty hard to survive at a high difficulty though.

Sojgat

Ada's campaign is the one that feels like the RE game I'd most want to play. Without all the co-op doors the gameplay flows much better, and the puzzles are actually kind of cool. It's a pity so many of the areas outside of her first chapter are recycled.

Jake's campaign is also really good (minus the stupid
motorcycle part
, and the entirety of his 2nd chapter). I definitely liked his story the best, and his interactions with sherry were great.

Chris still has the most consistent campaign IMO, the only part I don't really like is the
car chase

This game is pretty bad I put 30 hours + in it its more of a laugh then excitement. The QTE's ruin the flow, the melee is Ugh. . . I hate the fact in most chapter you can run to the end. Makes me feel like Tom Cruise in his movies. . .. Just running. LOL And I guess a little
Swimming
too.

Trigger

I love the Chinese setting as well but to be fair it's mostly wasted on a corridor shooter. It would be amazing for an outbreak title though.

Any setting would be amazing for another Outbreak game honestly. I just love the maze like feel; especially in Jake/Leon's chapters.

Bladenic

Ada's campaign is the one that feels like the RE game I'd most want to play. Without all the co-op doors the gameplay flows much better, and the puzzles are actually kind of cool. It's a pity so many of the areas outside of her first chapter are recycled.

Jake's campaign is also really good (minus the stupid
motorcycle part
, and the entirety of his 2nd chapter). I definitely liked his story the best, and his interactions with sherry were great.

Chris still has the most consistent campaign IMO, the only part I don't really like is the
car chase

Yeah Ada's campaign was really good outside the stealth. And again, that TERRIBLE final chapter. Sigh, what were they thinking?

I actually like Jake's chapter 2, I'd say his weakest chapter is 1 while the motorcycle sequence is the worst overall part of his story.

I'm... not sure how you can call Chris's campaign consistent. I suppose you can, if by consistent you mean constistently bad but I think it's by far the biggest rollercoaster of the story. For example, chapter 1 is largely boring, without even a boss fight. Then chapter 2 has a cool boss fight and a really cool setting with some intriguing story developments.
Then comes chapter 3, which is imo the most inconsistent chapter in the whole game. You have a really cool boss and sequence leading up to it mixed with two horrible fights against a damn hellicopter, and then finished with the worst on rails vehicle sequence in the game. His Chapter 4 and 5 are pretty consistent (and great) though.

And thinking about it, China does have a lot of tight corridors, often without enemies but still. Makes you wonder why they never gave Leon some tighter spaces, he fights zombies but it's generally in open environments.

DonMigs85

Congrats. Did you jump straight into it on Professional? I'm just wrapping up my first now and plan on jumping back in on Pro but with Firearm lvl 3 and unlimited ammo it should be a joke.

Yup, started with Jake/Sherry on Pro. By Ada's campaign I had Firepower and Defense Lv. 3 and Item Drop. It wasn't really that hard, but I did still die a lot.

I think this is true of all the characters... capcom has some talented/smart artists.

I think they chose well in almost all cases for a primary reference for the character, then they go from there to differentiate the character, to one degree or another. Piers for example not by much, but then some changes being bigger, like Rebecca RE0 being referenced from a Japanese j-pop star but with facial characteristics modified to Caucasian.

Bumhead

Banned
Having already completed Leon and Chris' campaigns, I'm currently working my way through Jakes. Currently up to Chapter 3,
where the tank bursts through into the palace area after you finish collecting the ID medals.

Is Jake's campaign shorter than Leon's and Chris'? I'm 2 and a half chapters in to Jakes campaign and I only started it this afternoon. By comparison, it's taken me the best part of the last 3 weeks to do the first 2 campaigns, playing a sporadic hour or so a night most nights. But Jakes definitely feels quite a bit shorter so far.

Bladenic

Having already completed Leon and Chris' campaigns, I'm currently working my way through Jakes. Currently up to Chapter 3,
where the tank bursts through into the palace area after you finish collecting the ID medals.

Is Jake's campaign shorter than Leon's and Chris'? I'm 2 and a half chapters in to Jakes campaign and I only started it this afternoon. By comparison, it's taken me the best part of the last 3 weeks to do the first 2 campaigns, playing a sporadic hour or so a night most nights. But Jakes definitely feels quite a bit shorter so far.

Yeah, his chapters are, on average, shorter than Leon's and Chris's chapters. I'd say length wise, it goes Leon > Chris > Jake.

Trigger

Leon's chapters in general are much longer. Took a whole evening to do Leon 1. Chris is somewhere in between. His last chapters are longer, but they never get as intricate as Leon's. Jake's campaigns fly by pretty quickly.

Bumhead

Banned
Do Jake's campaigns keep the same sort of pace, then?

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I can't say it wouldn't be a relief to know I'm only a couple of hours away from finishing the 3 main campaigns, with just Ada's left to do (which I was already aware was a bit shorter). I'm not one for 25+ hour campaigns these days, even though I'll remember the game fondly (mostly) once it's done.

Bladenic

Do Jake's campaigns keep the same sort of pace, then?

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I can't say it wouldn't be a relief to know I'm only a couple of hours away from finishing the 3 main campaigns, with just Ada's left to do (which I was already aware was a bit shorter). I'm not one for 25+ hour campaigns these days, even though I'll remember the game fondly (mostly) once it's done.

Yep, none of his chapters are much longer than the other one. I think Chapter 3 might be the longest but that's really depending on how fast you are and how thorough.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not one for 25+ hour campaigns these days, even though I'll remember the game fondly (mostly) once it's done.

Hold your tongue! The more 25+ hour campaigns we get the better. I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer, so single player is my bread and butter and the fact that I put 40 hours so far into playing and replaying the campaign is a good thing.

To answer your question, yeah Jake's campaign is overall shorter than the other two. I would say chapters 4 and 5 can be completed in about an hour each, especially since the final boss doesn't really require too much "figuring out."

ilsjlnierjdmnty pls

lol... is everyone going to start doing this now?

BTW true fact: my nickname was created by the same guy who named the enemies in RE6.

Riposte

I ended up playing half the game twice because of the way I was doing co-op. Wasn't sure how to join chapters and get credit. So I would join earlier chapters late.

I don't think any of the campaigns are significantly above each other. Jake's probably the most interesting setting wise though (Chapter 3 is amazing). I think Jake 2, mainly the beginning, is the worst part of the game. Leon 5 could be called poorly designed, but I have a soft spot for drawn out final boss fights and that is the final boss fight of RE6 to be sure.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
His Chapter 4 and 5 are pretty consistent (and great) though.

Haven't played Leon's last chapter, but Chris's Chapter 5 is definitely the worst I've played so far because of that terrible and non-checkpointed QTE run from the boss with the POS camera (died so many times before I realized I should just hold down A the entire time) and the last phase of the boss fight where half of the chests in the room hold skill points instead of ammo. Think I'll come back to it on Pro when I get the infinite ammo skill since running out of ammo repeatedly and waiting for the boss to drop ammo (why is he dropping skill points again, Capcom?) so I can break his cocoon three (!) times is incredibly tedious.

So far I've enjoyed Leon's chapters the most. Chris just feels too Gears-like for my taste. I actually like Jake as a character but his campaign is dragged down by the snow chapter with the annoying (not tension-inducing, Capcom, sorry) whiteouts. Helena is snooze-inducing and I would have loved it if Leon would have told her to fess up re what was going on the first time she pulled the "let me show" you crap.

So far the game is much better than 5, except that it would have been nice if the manual had included more detailed instructions re movement and melee.

Bumhead

Banned
Hold your tongue! The more 25+ hour campaigns we get the better. I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer, so single player is my bread and butter and the fact that I put 40 hours so far into playing and replaying the campaign is a good thing.

Heh, no I agree with you, generally. Im almost entirely single player as well, but 25 hours is above what I usually invest in a game due to time constraints. That said I am glad Capcom have put the effort in with this and I have enjoyed it. Im just looking forward to getting everything tied up at this point, if that makes sense.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So far I've enjoyed Leon's chapters the most. Chris just feels too Gears-like for my taste. I actually like Jake as a character but his campaign is dragged down by the snow chapter with the annoying (not tension-inducing, Capcom, sorry) whiteouts.

Weird, I actually found the whiteouts to be pretty tension inducing myself. Especially when you hear people running towards you and Mesets flying overhead, I would start freaking out and sprinting around trying to avoid certain doom. I found that entire chapter pretty fun actually, and it's one of my favorite chapters in the game.

The one thing I absolutely despise about Jake's chapter 2 is the location of one of the emblems...you know which one I'm talking about. The one that if you miss you can't go back and get. I replayed this chapter thrice knowing exactly where it is and still not being able to get to it in time. Grr.

Bladenic

Weird, I actually found the whiteouts to be pretty tension inducing myself. Especially when you hear people running towards you and Mesets flying overhead, I would start freaking out and sprinting around trying to avoid certain doom. I found that entire chapter pretty fun actually, and it's one of my favorite chapters in the game.

The one thing I absolutely despise about Jake's chapter 2 is the location of one of the emblems...you know which one I'm talking about. The one that if you miss you can't go back and get. I replayed this chapter thrice knowing exactly where it is and still not being able to get to it in time. Grr.

Yes, WORST emblem ever. Though once you know where it is, it isn't that hard to get.

Also ilnadmy's name is not that hard to type...

Bladenic

Everyone seems to be clamoring for multi player DLC, but personally I'm more excited for single player DLC, which I hope will come eventually. Loved the RE5 DLC, so I def. hope they will come out with something as good here. And hopefully the DLC will star
Claire fucking Redfield

Trigger

Not if you're asking me...
But not enough.

Edit: beaten like Wesker.

CKFhk.gif

Neiteio

Holy shit, Agent Hunt is crazy fun. Wish there was some way to play it against NPCs should the RE6-playing population ever dwindle.

I was a Strelat (the spike-shooting lizard) in Jake Ch. 3 and it was SO BADASS sprinting down halls and pelting the humans with projectiles. I also got in quite a few hits as a mutating J'avo. Equipping Lv. 3 Health gave me tremendous staying power; the human players must've been baffled how I was taking so much abuse and still getting up to fight. Fifty spawns later, we won the hunt!

I didn't fare as well as a parade of zombies in Leon Ch. 2, though I was a real pain in the ass for the humans as they fended us off in front of the
cathedral
-- I was a Shrieker at that point and kept stun-locking them with my screams for a Bloodshot gangbang. Damn!

Curufinwe

I finished the fourth campaign last night, and the game was a 7/10 for me. Not being able to upgrade your weapons and having to cycle thru a whole list of them made it considerably less fun than RE 5 and RE 4.

I would like to get all the Achievements, don't know if I can be bothered playing thru the whole game again on Professional.

Holy fucking shit, Jake's campaign should have been RE6. They should have scrapped Leon and Chris' stories altogether and riffed on Jake. Best story, best action, best mechanics, best music, best fucking, rock-hard ending. Still far from perfect, but chapter 5 was the satisfaction I was waiting for. Now we're fucking talking!

No, I wouldnt have even bought the game.
could have cut Leon and thats about it.

Bladenic

Haha crazy how different the opinions can be. If Leon's campaign was cut... Holy shit I would have liked the game a whole lot less.

Neiteio

I don't get the point of these theoretical "Would I have got the game if they dropped Campaign X or Campaign Y" questions. RE6 is four campaigns, plus Mercs, plus Agent Hunt, plus bonus features like Collection and Cutscenes. That's what RE6 is. Each of the campaigns was made as one part of a whole, and they even crossover at points with four players online. The game is richer for having all that it does, and would be poorer if any one campaign were cut out. :)

Sectus

I don't think any of the campaigns should have been cut, but I think major parts of the game could have been improved (especially Chris' campaign).

I'm replaying the game on PS3 so I can unlock the mercenaries content and I hate saying, but parts of the game bores me. Chapter 1 of Chris campaign could have had a few more random enemies added here and there on higher difficulties, as you spend a lot of time running through rooms with nothing happening. And there's so many script stuff I would have preferred they just removed. Like how the camera automatically looks at certain stuff. Or how Chris and Piers are forced to be aiming for ~2 seconds after opening certain coop doors.

For the next game I hope they've learned their lesson that it's pointless for them to try to mimic other popular games. They should just focus on what they do best, instead of trying all of this Uncharted stuff with too much scripting.

Maybe once PC version is out, some of this scripting stuff can be fixed. I know it's possible at least, but the challenge would be getting a tool for easily modifying the scripts.

I wasn't saying it should have been cut just that if one absolutely had to be that would be the one id be most ok without.
Jake's story I didnt completely love, but Sherry ended up being one of my favorite things about the game.
This is my 4th favorite RE so I wouldnt really want any changes.

GeekyDad

No, I wouldnt have even bought the game.
could have cut Leon and thats about it.

Well, setting aside affections for specific characters and settings, I just feel that Jake's campaign knew what it wanted to be and executed on it much, much better than the other two. Leon's campaign, much of the time, felt like Kane & Lynch 2 trying to be Resident Evil, and Chris' campaign, much of the time, felt like Kane & Lynch 2 trying to be Gears of War. Jake's campaign felt like a new Capcom IP, one I'd really like to see polished and grow.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
huh..so since Capcom is still using real people for the in-game models why they dropped Julia Voth? (as Jill in Resident Evil: Revelations I mean)

If they dropped JV as the model and can no longer use the REmake/RE5 model in new games... then maybe they should retire the character.

It's my favorite videogame character, but I would rather she her retired than changed again (especially after the ORC and Revelations bullshit).

Ideally, they would just pay Voth...

DonMigs85

Gotta try for the Sneaking Around trophy again - I didn't know it was possible to sneak up behind the bee J'avo like it was a regular human body.

Top Bottom