• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Man people that kill 3 or 4 zombies right at the start are killing me.

Man, I still haven't played any mercs with you. We should do that sometime.

I won't blast away 75 of the enemies in the level with high-powered weapons as fast as possible. I'll melee them all, dammit!

...I'll also stand next to zombies and wait for counters and screw it up occasionally, I'm still practicing >.>

I'm the shit at Steel Beast, though.

Synless

For some reason this game is outright denying me the ability to make a game so my buddy and I can play co-op. is this happening to anyone else?

Man, I still haven't played any mercs with you. We should do that sometime.

I won't blast away 75 of the enemies in the level with high-powered weapons as fast as possible. I'll melee them all, dammit!

...I'll also stand next to zombies and wait for counters and screw it up occasionally, I'm still practicing >.>

I'm the shit at Steel Beast, though.

yeah we need to sometime, I have been mainly with randoms lately.

Yeah I played with a random yesterday that wasn't bad, got a few 150 combos on Mining the Depths with them, but 150 combos are easy enough... I want to try saving one of those secret bosses 'til kill 150
yeah, that going to be a challenge.

edit: 50+ hours in and I just now discovered the Revelations style evade mechanic.

addyb

Apologies as this has probably been asked but since there are 3 campaigns how long would you say the game is? Also besides mercenaries is there any replayability in the campaigns, unlockables etc.

I'm a massive resi fan and liked all of the series so far but been holding off on this so far. I kind of know to lower my expectations after reading plenty of reviews but it seems to me there are still plenty of positives to take from it.

Going to trade my fifa for this as although I'm a big footy fan I never get on with console footy games.

Ken

Apologies as this has probably been asked but since there are 3 campaigns how long would you say the game is? Also besides mercenaries is there any replayability in the campaigns, unlockables etc.

I'm a massive resi fan and liked all of the series so far but been holding off on this so far. I kind of know to lower my expectations after reading plenty of reviews but it seems to me there are still plenty of positives to take from it.

Going to trade my fifa for this as although I'm a big footy fan I never get on with console footy games.

20+ hours campaign.

20+ hours, emblems are now for files and figures.
and there is a couple sections that are alot of fun to play as the secondary character.
so alot of replayability

can't remember exactly how I was doing it, but I had the knife equipped and hit the left analog Chris would evade exactly like in Revelations(run under their arm then turn around behind them. I was just messing around on Solo Mercs. was walking around holding L1.

edit: figured it out, its only for melee weapons. instead of a jump/roll dodge, they duck sideways around an enemy. pretty useful for Chris I was able to take out a whooper while doing it lol.
so probably nothing new, but surprising I just noticed it considering how much I used the knife.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

It took me 22 hours to beat the game the first time. Then I played it again on Professional for Achievements. Then I spent 8 hours playing Mercenaries. And I'm still not done with the game. It definitely has lots of replay value, there are people here with over 100+ hours played.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Professional is oddly easy in this game. 5's felt much harder, though that might have to do with the health changes. The only thing that irks me is the utter lack of healing items. In 3 chapters I've found a total of one green herb, two red herbs, and a first aid spray.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Professional is oddly easy in this game. 5's felt much harder, though that might have to do with the health changes. The only thing that irks me is the utter lack of healing items. In 3 chapters I've found a total of one green herb, two red herbs, and a first aid spray.

If you're playing solo equip the Field Medic Lv. 2 skill and you will never need to heal yourself ever again.

foxdvd

you really can "cheat" the system by not using health items...when you die you restart at the last checkpoint with full health...the only time you would need to use items is maybe on a long part you don't want to have to do over or boss fights...

Also, Field Medic level 2 really does break the game if you are going solo...you never have to worry about health again..

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Nah, playing this game solo is unthinkable. Always have my co-op partner with me. Though it's annoying that I miss out on some of the skills because of that. It's true the free health when you die helps, but I just feel like the anxiety of mixing and using an herb from earlier games is missing. Though it's fun conserving health/ammo by using the different moves to dodge or quickshot+melee comboing. I guess that's where the tension comes from since the action is much more gogogogogo.

Trigger

Ok not bad. 4th opens up I guess if you beat the other three? Assume the others have much more story line as it felt like Chris campaign that that I did first was very plot-lite.

They're all plot-lite. I think Leon's has a little more plot. The 4th campaign has the most story it felt like.

ShinAmano

So how do you go about getting points to buy skills? I am 3/4 of the way through the game and only have 3 skills at level 2 and 3 at level 1.

I tried mercenaries mode with a friend (on the same console) and did not get any...I figured that would be it...do I need to play mercs online to get points?

Neiteio

Man, we need a Resident Evil: Raiders and Mercenaries:

+ RE6-style gameplay mechanics, now with a proper tutorial to teach newcomers
+ Raid mode, with 50+ maps from series history, including Ghost Ship and Spencer Estate
+ Loot to find, perks to equip, and the ability to purchase weapons through the Merchant
+ Agent Hunt enabled for Raid mode, so players can play as the creatures
+ Mercenaries, with 50+ maps; like Raid, pulls settings from series history
+ Creatures from past games return, all updated for RE6-style gameplay; for instance, Hunters will lunge at you like Bloodshots, but sidestep and hop around more
+ Playable characters include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Sherry, Jake, Helena, Piers, Sheva, Josh, Rebecca, Billy, Barry, Parker, Jessica, Quint, Keith, Raymond, Ada, Krauser, Hunk, Wesker and more
+ Multiple costumes per character, with "main characters" like Chris having the most
+ Other modes include Versus, Survivor, Siege and Predator
+ Unlock files, figurines, costumes and alternate colors

I'd buy it.

bs000

So how do you go about getting points to buy skills? I am 3/4 of the way through the game and only have 3 skills at level 2 and 3 at level 1.

I tried mercenaries mode with a friend (on the same console) and did not get any...I figured that would be it...do I need to play mercs online to get points?

If you died in mercenaries you would've lost any skill points you picked up.

Bittercup

During the first playthrough I didn't bothered much with skill points. You get enough to beat the game.
Afterwards to farm skill points for professional and the Mad Skillz Trophy you can farm easily on Chris Chapter 5:
Run to the big room relatively early in the chapter with the conveyor belts and switches that spawn additional enemies. Activate all switches and clear the room and move to the next one, quit the game and be happy about ~20k skill points you just gathered in just a few minutes :D

I'm an expert

During the first playthrough I didn't bothered much with skill points. You get enough to beat the game.
Afterwards to farm skill points for professional and the Mad Skillz Trophy you can farm easily on Chris Chapter 5:
Run to the big room relatively early in the chapter with the conveyor belts and switches that spawn additional enemies. Activate all switches and clear the room and move to the next one, quit the game and be happy about ~20k skill points you just gathered in just a few minutes :D

So.. that's 6's version of 5's licker hallway.. Ugh.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Even when we made it to time over we got nothing.

You don't get any "reward" for surviving or "beating" a mercs round other than your rank. But you keep all your skill point pickups if you survive. And there are generally a bunch of pickups during a round.

GeekyDad

Ada chapter 2 was really, really good. Had an overall RE4 feel to it. Of course, redoing Deborah wasn't ideal, but as a whole, it was one of the better, if not best, chapters in the game thus far.

+ Raid mode, with 50+ maps from series history, including Ghost Ship and Spencer Estate
+ Loot to find, perks to equip, and the ability to purchase weapons through the Merchant
+ Creatures from past games return, all updated for RE6-style gameplay; for instance, Hunters will lunge at you like Bloodshots, but sidestep and hop around more
+ Playable characters include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Sherry, Jake, Helena, Piers, Sheva, Josh, Rebecca, Billy, Barry, Parker, Jessica, Quint, Keith, Raymond, Ada, Krauser, Hunk, Wesker and more
+ Multiple costumes per character, with "main characters" like Chris having the most

I'd buy it.

I'd buy it too. It's a damn shame that Raid Mode isn't in RE6.

Bumhead

Banned

I'd buy it.

Thanks. You've just described my most anticipated game that I'll never play.

*sadface*

In all seriousness I feel that's a pretty sensible place to go next with the series. Marcenaries mode is pretty popular and more people need to be introduced to Raid mode. The thought of Raid mode taking on locations from the rest if the series is very exciting.

I feel such a game could reverse some of the hate for RE6 too, what with those controls being in a game where people know what they're getting, rather than mainline series entries always pushing against the weight of history.

I would buy that game for a high price. The 3DS would be a logical place to start something like that, maybe.

Ada's chapter 4 was awesome. Would love to see more of that kind of stuff. Pretty cool and spooky at the same time. Needs to be taken to the next level.

Neiteio

Thanks. You've just described my most anticipated game that I'll never play.

*sadface*

In all seriousness I feel that's a pretty sensible place to go next with the series. Marcenaries mode is pretty popular and more people need to be introduced to Raid mode. The thought of Raid mode taking on locations from the rest if the series is very exciting.

I feel such a game could reverse some of the hate for RE6 too, what with those controls being in a game where people know what they're getting, rather than mainline series entries always pushing against the weight of history.

I would buy that game for a high price. The 3DS would be a logical place to start something like that, maybe.
I loved Mercs 3D and I love my 3DS, but I would prefer this hypothetical Mercs/Raid game be on an HD platform. I'd want maximum production values, even though it's a spinoff. It would take a bit of work to do it the way I described, too, retooling enemies from Revelations, RE5, etc, to be balanced against RE6-style mechanics and controls. But man, how cool it would be to see, say, an HD version of Scarmiglione (the sword-and-shield BOW that blocks your shots and splits in two) from Revelations.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I'd buy it.

We're as likely to get this as we are to get a Resident Evil 2 remake.

I'd buy both instantly though.

Neiteio

We're as likely to get this as we are to get a Resident Evil 2 remake.

I'd buy both instantly though.
Hey, you never know -- the Mercs DLC for RE6 will probably be a huge success, and maybe they'll just chalk up the middling numbers of the 3DS titles to the platform. Focusing on Mercs and Raid would make for more straightforward development, I'd think, and they could repurpose some assets from previous games. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, you never know -- the Mercs DLC for RE6 will probably be a huge success, and maybe they'll just chalk up the middling numbers of the 3DS titles to the platform. Focusing on Mercs and Raid would make for more straightforward development, I'd think, and they could repurpose some assets from previous games. :)

You should post this on the official Capcom forums. Maybe someone will take this idea to the development team.

Evolved1

Actually I think the DLC isn't going to do as well as it could have if released earlier.

They haven't even given it to the 360 which has a freaking (unknown) exclusivity deal. So PS3 players will have to wait even longer, probably a significant amount of time given how heavy the exclusivity was pimped in the ad campaign.

People are going to move on to other games by the time they get this stuff out. Especially PS3 players who've had a chance to play the game to death and get bored of the 3 (wtf) merc maps...

It will still do well, but I think holding off was a mistake. That 360 DLC should've dropped week one. And then we could be burning through the exclusivity window right now... but instead here we are waiting with no fucking information, and worse PS3 players are waiting just to wait more.

It's really retarded. Bad for everyone. The fans and capcom. Because they will sell less, and fans get frustrated with the wait.

Nemesis_

Yeah, you're right. I am still excited for the DLC but not all OMG HOOK THAT SHIT UP TO MY FUCKING VEINS as I was a few weeks ago.

Also, Evolved1, what happened to your avatar? :( Emulating Jill's appearance in RE6? ;)

Z3M0G

Ada chapter 2 was really, really good. Had an overall RE4 feel to it. Of course,
redoing Deborah
wasn't ideal, but as a whole, it was one of the better, if not best, chapters in the game thus far.

Yah that one was pretty good. I got a D rank because I went AFK for 30 minutes and thus got a D rank for time... but I don't mine replaying that one if I want to aim for higher.

I've been playing as much as Ada as I can while Online to get random cross-over matchups... since she has so many cross-over moments in the game. I'm still yet to experience any, however...

Evolved1

Yeah, you're right. I am still excited for the DLC but not all OMG HOOK THAT SHIT UP TO MY FUCKING VEINS as I was a few weeks ago.

Also, Evolved1, what happened to your avatar? :( Emulating Jill's appearance in RE6? ;)

Lol... no. :(

Well I (like much of gaf and the internet) like to do a themed avatar on holidays, especially halloween which is the greatest holiday, and I keep making avatars but they all suck and bother me. lol

I miss the gifatars, they were so easy to make festive. I might take another shot at it, but if it fails I'll just go back to REmake Jill. haha

Evolved1

I'm honestly surprised people are pleading for DLC for this game.

It isn't very surprising people want more content if they've completed and enjoyed what was there already. That goes for anything, in any medium, really.

Iirc you're not exactly too high on RE6 so I guess I'm not surprised you're surprised.

GeekyDad

C'mon man, that is the next chapter I'm on.

Well, if you're doing Ada, I didn't spoil anything you didn't already see. But sorry all the same.

On a different note, I almost got my first 150 in Mercs, and it was my first time in the Mining map. I haven't really been doing too much Mercs yet, maybe five or six times total. But I think I'm starting to get in my groove with this one. We were at 148, and my partner got grabbed. Had to rescue him and we lost the combo. Argh! Was a good game, though. Still got almost half a mil. Played a second time using Sherry, since she unlocked afterward, and I gotta say, not a big fan. It looks like she's a very popular character, but I didn't like her. That pop gun she's got sucks.

Top Bottom