• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So far I'd rank it as:

Leon 1: 4/5 (bullshit QTE's bring it down)
Leon 2: 2/5
Leon 3: 1/5
Leon 4: 4/5
Leon 5: 4/5 (though the
lighting rod needle bit isn't very well explained. Partner had to do that as I took it up front to try to stab it in his stomach because hey, why not?
)
Overall: 2.5/5 If they removed the bits of Tall Oak's underground the campaign for Leon would've been better bullshit QTE's aside.

Chris 1: 2/5
Chris 2: 2/5
Chris 3: 1/5
Chris 4: 3/5
Chris 5: 2/5 (extra point added for
Peirce dying. Didn't like him.
)
Overall: 1.5/5 Chris' campaign is the weakest campaign (so far) in the Biohazard 4-6 trilogy. Nothing but shootbang and Chris' time in China wasn't interesting and the final underwater bit was stupid as hell besides having Pierce
die to kill the big monster
ending cut-scene after the credits don't make any damn sense either. Chris is redeemed. Yay?

Jake 1: 2/5
Jake 2: 1/5
Jake 3: 3/5
Jake 4: 2/5
Jake 5: 1.5/5
Overall: 1.5/5 Jake's campaign is pretty weak as well but Jake escaping the lab with Sherry in chapter 3 was pretty fun besides the shitty cover and melee mechanics. Jake as a character however isn't too strong and he doesn't rock the sunglasses like his father too well. So he should stop emulating his father's bad-assness since he doesn't have it.

I don't get the post-credit cut-scene. He does all this bullshit, saves the girl has a love-story moment with her firing the gun killing their stalker and... doesn't get more than $50 for it due to him having a change of heart? REALLY?

Leon 1 is still the highpoint of the game for me because it's the most like what I want from Biohazard with the exception of the bullshit QTE's that plague it.

Gotta start Ada 1-5 in a little bit. But it seems playing it offline doesn't add the partner that Capcom added with a patch. Yay, playing Biohazard main-series the way it should be: Singleplayer! And naked Ada at the start, fanservice that doesn't give me anything! HOORAH!

Mr_Zombie

Wow, you're pretty harsh with your scores.

Gotta start Ada 1-5 in a little bit. But it seems playing it offline doesn't add the partner that Capcom added with a patch. Yay, playing Biohazard main-series the way it should be: Singleplayer! And naked Ada at the start, fanservice that doesn't give me anything! HOORAH!

I've played her campaign in single player and I really can't see how the second player could even fit into Ada's scenario gameplay-wise. Ada's campaign is full of stealth sections, puzzles (that were design for single user) or sections where you have to quickly escape something
flood, the chainsaw J'avo, certain boss
and even a slight mistake can kill you. Not to mention, Ada spends half of the 5th chapter sitting in a chopper shooting things around and that section is already pretty easy and boring (at least on Normal >_>). Adding a second character that can control another chopper would make it even easier and more boring.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ada's campaign is still the worst thing ever for me.

And although I'm glad that they added co-op for her portion, it is so tacked on...Agent can't do anything. Not even open doors!!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I personally liked the tension of trying to escape the
chainsaw guy because anything chainsaw scares the shit out of me and it was so well done IMO, and Carla from the ship.
Those were my two favorite sections. I appreciated the puzzle approach in chapter 2, but it did nothing for me. They were pretty easy.

and for the life of me i still can't do the first chapter without getting spotted! LOL

Mr_Zombie

I personally liked the tension of trying to escape the
chainsaw guy because anything chainsaw scares the shit out of me and it was so well done IMO, and Carla from the ship.
Those were my two favorite sections.

Yeah, I liked those sections too. However, unfortunately, the rest of chapter 3 was pretty boring.
Especially the part where you have to cover Jake and Sherry. I just stood there, shooting enemies from afar and that was it. There was no tension and no danger. Just a shooting gallery that went on for far too long.

and for the life of me i still can't do the first chapter without getting spotted! LOL
I can feel your pain. I was trying to be as stealthy as possible, but nope - I'm spotted and suddenly J'avos from everywhere!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Especially the part where you have to cover Jake and Sherry. I just stood there, shooting enemies from afar and that was it. There was no tension and no danger. Just a shooting gallery that went on for far too long.
Yep, that part was definitely weak. I think it'll just auto progress if you don't do anything. It's so pointless. It's like, "what was the point?" I did like the RE 2 throwback she says at the start of that part though!

TheSeks

Wow, you're pretty harsh with your scores.

To be fair, I'm pretty vocal in my dislike of Biohazard 6 since the demo. Capcom doesn't explain the mechanics, the mechanics while interesting aren't really adding anything radical (yes, yes, dodge, yes yes, slide... those aren't really needed outside of a few new enemies that have a tad more aggressive AI) and the story is a mish-mash of crap to try to do an ensemble cast. While the ensemble cast idea was neat... it just didn't work.
Ada on the train that passes Leon and Helena was a cool shot, but not really practical. I mean this is the same woman that is trying to avoid Chris and Piers.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can feel your pain. I was trying to be as stealthy as possible, but nope - I'm spotted and suddenly J'avos from everywhere!

I had to restart that part multiple, multiple times, but it is possible to get through the first area (up to the first puzzle room) stealthily. It's just a pain in the ass and not really worth the hassle.

The "4-Player team event Alpha Team" event has ended. You ranked ### with a score of 2070, and earned 10000 RE Points.

How did I get RE Points when I didn't even register for a team? I thought for this event you had to register a team prior to the start date in order for your statistics to be counted? Granted, I did play Mercenaries during the event time but I only played it because I wanted to not for the event. Anyway, the people in my team are lucky because they made no contribution. Free 10,000 RE Points for nothing.

Sectus

How did I get RE Points when I didn't even register for a team? I thought for this event you had to register a team prior to the start date in order for your statistics to be counted? Granted, I did play Mercenaries during the event time but I only played it because I wanted to not for the event. Anyway, the people in my team are lucky because they made no contribution. Free 10,000 RE Points for nothing.

If you don't make or enter a team, the system will automatically create teams for everybody who aren't in one. So every RE.net user will get into a team regardless.

wow chris campaign is really awful. I thought leons was bad, but this one sucks. Gears of Evil indeed. shoot some bad guys and move to the next room, rinse repeat.

Did the Requiem event and only got 1.19. Never got Gnezdo to appear which pissed me off. Tried the stage 3 times and failed, got it on the 4th. Killed most enemies with just CDG.

I have the worst luck. For the requiem event I had a 144 combo and while attempting to dodge I instead dropped down to the tunnel with no ladder in sight to get back up. Combo dropped and I ended up with a score of 998 something.

Sectus, I know you are frequent in this topic than Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs topic. I am interested in the PC version to play on a MacBook Pro. I got an answer from Gyrian but I want to know your opinion on this.

My MacBook Pro specs are:

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB & AMD Radeon HD 6750M

I could do this by Boot Camp or through VMware Fusion. What I want to know is my Mac is good enough to run it? Or do I need a PC optimised for gaming?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I have the worst luck. For the requiem event I had a 144 combo and while attempting to dodge I instead dropped down to the tunnel with no ladder in sight to get back up. Combo dropped and I ended up with a score of 998 something.
Bummer dude!

I had a similar experience yesterday night too, but I lost my combo at 98. I lost it in the most dumb way too... I was on top of the building since the huge guy was there, I stun him and was going to melee a J'avo so I wouldn't lose my combo and instead I jump into the huge guy's arm. ;(

Bummer dude!

I had a similar experience yesterday night too, but I lost my combo at 98. I lost it in the most dumb way too... I was on top of the building since the huge guy was there, I stun him and was going to melee a J'avo so I wouldn't lose my combo and instead I jump into the huge guy's arm. ;(

The exact same thing has happened to me plenty of times, it sucks =(

TheSeks

Wow, Ada Veteran is pretty hard. Any tips for players not using infinite ammo and going through it first time on Veteran besides "don't get hit, lolz?"

Seems you can stealth the first section but towards the end I get detected and then have infinite (?) enemies coming and mutating and killing me.

Gyrian

Wow, Ada Veteran is pretty hard. Any tips for players not using infinite ammo and going through it first time on Veteran besides "don't get hit, lolz?"

Seems you can stealth the first section but towards the end I get detected and then have infinite (?) enemies coming and mutating and killing me.

A general tip for her stealth section is that you can kill enemies without melee and not trigger the alarm.
Use the bowgun and get a headshot. You can do this while popping from cover, too, and it won't even alert nearby enemies (lol).

About the bowgun, also remember that you can quickshot to pin down most enemies to the ground (including mutated J'avo).
You get a free instant reload from the quickshot motion and it gets you breathing room if there are several J'avo in front of you.

Mr_Zombie

About the bowgun, also remember that you can quickshot to pin down most enemies to the ground (including mutated J'avo).
You get a free instant reload from the quickshot motion and it gets you breathing room if there are several J'avo in front of you.

Wow, didn't know about that. This might be useful of further playthrough. :D

Sectus

Sectus, I know you are frequent in this topic than Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs topic. I am interested in the PC version to play on a MacBook Pro. I got an answer from Gyrian but I want to know your opinion on this.

My MacBook Pro specs are:

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB & AMD Radeon HD 6750M

I could do this by Boot Camp or through VMware Fusion. What I want to know is my Mac is good enough to run it? Or do I need a PC optimised for gaming?

I think I'm the wrong person to ask. I have no idea how boot camp works, so I dunno if there's any limitations to that. I know your CPU and RAM is more than good enough. I don't know much about the 6750M so I don't know if that's good enough or not. There's a benchmark you can try to see if it works. Just ignore the framerate in the benchmark and focus on the rank in the end. If you get B, A or S, the game should run fine.

TheSeks

Boot Camp is just running Windows Native, IIRC. Just Apple's nick-name for "dual boot" so it's less scary for the computer inept.

Anyway, Ada 1: 4/5 would've been a 5/5 if it wasn't for that stupid stealth section.

I'm really liking Ada so far, her quick shot is AMAZING. But I can't figure out the
hanging man
puzzle. WTF is going on in this room?

Riposte

Boot Camp is just running Windows Native, IIRC. Just Apple's nick-name for "dual boot" so it's less scary for the computer inept.

Anyway, Ada 1: 4/5 would've been a 5/5 if it wasn't for that stupid stealth section.

I'm really liking Ada so far, her quick shot is AMAZING. But I can't figure out the
hanging man
puzzle. WTF is going on in this room?

That took me FOREVER. I'll just say this: the puzzles in this game are VERY simple and you should be checking everywhere and rubbing against everything if you are not getting it, because you are probably missing something.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I figured that puzzle out within the first minute, although I can see why it took people a while. It gives off the impression of being a lot more complicated than it actually is.

I'm really liking Ada so far, her quick shot is AMAZING.

OMFG yes. i love all her acrobatic moves but specially the bow qs when someone is to the side or behind.

/hnnggg

I figured that puzzle out within the first minute, although I can see why it took people a while. It gives off the impression of being a lot more complicated than it actually is.

When I played through the campaign before the co-op patch was out I figured it out within a minute, but then when I replayed it with a friend it took me a while.

I think I'm the wrong person to ask. I have no idea how boot camp works, so I dunno if there's any limitations to that. I know your CPU and RAM is more than good enough. I don't know much about the 6750M so I don't know if that's good enough or not. There's a benchmark you can try to see if it works. Just ignore the framerate in the benchmark and focus on the rank in the end. If you get B, A or S, the game should run fine.

Where can I download the benchmark?

TheSeks

Ada 1: 4/5 would've been a 5/5 if it wasn't for that stupid stealth section.
Ada 2: 3/5 It's a little better than Leon's section simply because it breaks Leon Chapter 2 down to a nice bite-size chunk so it doesn't drag. Plus it reveals
Ada's dopplerganger is Simmons and not really Ada so the Ada that dies in Chris' campaign is actually Ada/"Simmons"/Dopplerganger.
Should've known from the way
they dress
but yeah.

SmithnCo

I think Jake and Ada's were my favorite campaigns. For some reason I didn't really like Leon's.

Going through veteran now, almost got dat plat. This game is better than the press surrounding it gave it credit for, I think. I'd put it ahead of 5 and I liked 5.

Mr_Zombie

Plus it reveals
Ada's dopplerganger is Simmons and not really Ada so the Ada that dies in Chris' campaign is actually Ada/"Simmons"/Dopplerganger.
Should've known from the way
they dress
but yeah.

That story part was spoiled to me before the game was released, so I knew exactly what was going on with
Ada's death
. However, I'm curious, how did you explain to yourself that Ada
was constantly switching her clothes? After all, during Chris 4, when you chase her, you see her either in the violet dress or red shirt and leather pants.

TheSeks

It's Ada Wong.
Wardrobe Changes like Cher
is the norm for her.

Archon473

PSN has RE6 DLC is on sale this week... except the all-inclusive Mercs map bundle. Is there any reason to buy the bundle as opposed to buying each single map and packs A & B individually?

Prodigal

Banned
So if I beat Ada's campaign on co-op playing as the sidekick on Professional, would that count towards me beating the whole game on Professional? I only ask because in the records menu there's no record of that sidekick dude at all.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So if I beat Ada's campaign on co-op playing as the sidekick on Professional, would that count towards me beating the whole game on Professional? I only ask because in the records menu there's no record of that sidekick dude at all.
It should count. Me and a friend played it co-op and he got the trophy for it.

Edit:

Bought Predator due to the PS+ sale and it's so fucking funny. Too bad it's hard to find games.

TheSeks

Apparently it's glitched, only if you yourself started the chapter on Pro and then joined someone will it count. If you didn't, it won't count.

Better to just host and have someone that has already beaten the game join than join them.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention that.

Let's say you started the campaign playing solo and was playing at Veteran difficulty. Your friend invites you to his game with him playing on Professional difficulty. You'd think that beating the chapter at that difficulty setting would give you credit, but it doesn't (only your friend gets credit) since it'll count as clearing the chapter in Veteran difficulty for you. The only way it will work is if you yourself have that difficulty selected prior to joining someone's game. You'd have to change it to Pro difficulty before you join your friend's game if you want credit for clearing the chapters in pro difficulty.

It's so fucking STUPID.

This worth picking up for $14 on the PS+ sale this week? Were any changes made in the updates to fix issues people had with it when it came out?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say this again, I bought it for $80 day one (I got the Archives edition) and I thought it was worth every penny. The campaign itself will take you around 25 hours to beat and Mercenaries will probably keep you occupied for tens of hours.

There were a few patches that came out to fix issues that people had. The FOV is now adjustable, there's a QTE assist option, and they added optional co-op to a campaign that didn't allow it.

So should I play this game? I'm one of those people who liked the series up until 3, fell out of love with CV over time, hated 4 at first, then realized it was good, hated 5 at first, then kinda liked it ok, and made fun of 6 without actually playing it because I'm a jackass.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
made fun of 6 without actually playing it because I'm a jackass.

First of all I hate you for this.

In all seriousness, this is a game that has some flaws but is generally quite enjoyable...if you look at it as an action game. It's not a horror game (well, it tries but fails), but if you look at it as a third-person shooter you could have a lot of fun with it. It's got its issues (QTEs, "cinematic set pieces" that take away some of your control), but generally I'd say it's pretty fun.

First of all I hate you for this.

In all seriousness, this is a game that has some flaws but is generally quite enjoyable...if you look at it as an action game. It's not a horror game (well, it tries but fails), but if you look at it as a third-person shooter you could have a lot of fun with it. It's got its issues (QTEs, "cinematic set pieces" that take away some of your control), but generally I'd say it's pretty fun.

Yeah, that's ok, I'm willing to admit when I'm an idiot.

For some reason I forgot this had couch co-op. Think I'm gonna have to get it.

Just in general feel, would you say it's more like 4 or 5?

SmithnCo

This is like RE5 all the way. Much more linear design and QTE set pieces than 4. You have to trudge through some of the QTE nonsense but past that, it's quite fun.

Ramsiege

So I just bought this game through the PS Plus promotion and I noticed that Ada's campaign was unlocked from the beginning. I thought I had to finish the other campaigns first?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's ok, I'm willing to admit when I'm an idiot.

For some reason I forgot this had couch co-op. Think I'm gonna have to get it.

Just in general feel, would you say it's more like 4 or 5?

More like 5 probably, although I never finished RE4 (for shame...). While RE4 emphasized tension over action, both RE5 and RE6 emphasize action over tension. Trying to go back to RE5 or RE4 after getting used to the extreme mobility in RE6 is very difficult though.

So I just bought this game through the PS Plus promotion and I noticed that Ada's campaign was unlocked from the beginning. I thought I had to finish the other campaigns first?

Yeah they patched that in.

This is like RE5 all the way. Much more linear design and QTE set pieces than 4. You have to trudge through some of the QTE nonsense but past that, it's quite fun.

The million dollar question would be, "it's not as bad as Tomb Raider, right?" but for $15 I'm not likely to complain as long as there's not a lot of hand-holding and the controls are decent.

More like 5 probably, although I never finished RE4 (for shame...). While RE4 emphasized tension over action, both RE5 and RE6 emphasize action over tension. Trying to go back to RE5 or RE4 after getting used to the extreme mobility in RE6 is very difficult though.

I never finished 5 and haven't played 4 in years, don't feel bad. I like the sound of "extreme mobility."

Thanks for the replies.

Manu

More like 5 probably, although I never finished RE4 (for shame...).

monocle.gif

PREPOSTEROUS!

Riposte

If you are worried about Tomb Raider, you are going to really hate the first 10 minutes (which you have to play before you access the main menu). On the bright side the game never really becomes like that again, even when you revisit that part. Whether you find this game fun depends a lot on how much you dig into the combat mechanics (which to an extent flows into set pieces and such, at least the ones that don't involve vehicles).

If you are worried about Tomb Raider, you are going to really hate the first 10 minutes (which you have to play before you access the main menu). On the bright side the game never really becomes like that again, even when you revisit that part. Whether you find this game fun depends a lot on how much you dig into the combat mechanics (which to an extent flows into set pieces and such, at least the ones that don't involve vehicles).

Sounds good, this is right where I'd like it price wise so I'm gonna jump on it and find out for myself.

Top Bottom