• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think whoever designed the prologue in this game was honest-to-goodness trying to troll everyone who plays RE6. Like, it doesn't teach you anything that you will ever need to use in the rest of the game. It's pretty hilarious in hindsight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think whoever designed the prologue in this game was honest-to-goodness trying to troll everyone who plays RE6. Like, it doesn't teach you anything that you will ever need to use in the rest of the game. It's pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Correct. And Capcom never explains it.

Now you know why people laugh at the defenders that went "JUST YOU WAIT CAPCOM WILL EXPLAIN THIS" in the demo threads.

Also no one playing the DLC despite the sale on PS3. :lol

TheSeks

For US terrtory(ies?), yes.

Also Seige isn't included in the sale so no buy until it is, kthxcrapcom.

The reverse sending enemies mode is pretty neat. The Onslaught, not so much.

The Deathmatch I haven't tried and probably won't since people team up and sit there waiting for randoms to fill it up. Ugh.

For US terrtory(ies?), yes.

Also Seige isn't included in the sale so no buy until it is, kthxcrapcom.

The reverse sending enemies mode is pretty neat. The Onslaught, not so much.

The Deathmatch I haven't tried and probably won't since people team up and sit there waiting for randoms to fill it up. Ugh.

Well that's a shame. When do other territories get the sale? Beside the DLC isn't really expensive.

TheSeks

Ada 1: 4/5 would've been a 5/5 if it wasn't for that stupid stealth section.
Ada 2: 3/5 It's a little better than Leon's section simply because it breaks Leon Chapter 2 down to a nice bite-size chunk so it doesn't drag. Plus it reveals
Ada's dopplerganger is Simmons and not really Ada so the Ada that dies in Chris' campaign is actually Ada/"Simmons"/Dopplerganger.
Should've known from the way
they dress
but yeah.
Ada 3: 4/5-ish. I didn't really like the Chainsaw redux, mostly because it wasn't as threatening as Bio4-5's one is. You can just slide past it in general for no damage. However the death scenes with Ada in first person is pretty brutal. Only died due to zombies on the ground tripping me up so I got hit and dying/death.
Ada 4: 2/5 It's interesting in seeing Ada avoid Chris and Pieres and see them clearing out enemies (even if just as AI)
Ada 5: 5/5 Easily the highlight of the game for me if you get intersected into other peoples (read: Leon, Jake)'s games. The final battle of the game easily becomes epic when you're helping Leon out plus you learn where the weapon Leon gets in his final battle comes from.

Over all though:

F+/D- and that's being kind. The story is a mess (and you find out the true purpose only though playing Ada's campaign), Chris' campaign is just bad and could've been excised with no huge loss outside of the Leon vs Chris bit that the announcement trailer made more epic than it was. The new mechanics... I'm not feeling. They aren't bad per say but they aren't explained and the melee gauge constantly running out because you're going to be using quickshot and melees constantly to defeat enemies is rather... pointless. Add in that Capcom NEVER explains the mechanics outside of loading screen tips that either aren't going to last long or don't explain them too deeply and yeah...

I also don't like that you aren't swimming in herbs on higher difficulties given the chance of catching stray bullets, falling down/rolling while still eating bullets and trying to get up only because you're eating bullets you get knocked back down. Similar to Lost Planet's "roll is I-framed so even if you're shooting me bang-on with a shotgun, you don't hit me. TROLLOLOLOLOL" bullshit.

Ada's campaign is the highlight of the game for me, double-so because I did it by myself with the exception of the intersections which made it more fun. The co-op really should've been drop-in/out of the entire game. Solo makes the game more fun, I feel. I really hope for the next Biohazard they go back to strictly single-player and have multiplayer as a side-addition that doesn't hinder the game.

And for the next one I hope they go back to urban environments and labs. The ship wasn't bad but good lord the catacombs was boring as hell and dragged. Let's not mention that Edonia wasn't that interesting. We're in China for about... 2-5 gameplay hours and then a slog for most everything else. And I still don't get the point of Twin Oaks/US's bioterrorist attack outside of
killing the president to protect the "family"
which speaking of: is never explained. Maybe it's explained in the files, but really Capcom should go back to the old style (read: Bio1-3) file/memo collecting format in that they're in the game and you can find them. None of this stupid emblem bullshit that is only there for the sake of having a collection trophy/achievement.

Now I gotta grind skill points in merc for infinite ammo and go through the game on Pro since I just finished in Vet and got Easy/Normal/Vet achievements in one go.

Manu

Whoa. Harsh.

While I respect your opinion I can't help notice that a lot of the game mechanics never really clicked on you, and that obviously influenced your final opinion. The part about running out of stamina for example, you're not supposed to spam quickshots, but to shoot the enemies in the head or arms to set up a melee without losing stamina, while using the quickshot only as a last resource. Yeah, I know it's not explained properly but I got most of the mechanics through experimentation, especially in Mercenaries.

You never mentioned
Carla
on your review either, so I guess you didn't read the files explaining most of the holes in the story, including who she really is and what's her role in the overall story. Yeah, most of the exposition being in collectible hidden files is a stupid decision, but the story really benefits from reading them.

Overall I keep noticing how the enjoyment of the game is mostly based on how well you understood the mechanics, which is pretty much the best thing the game has going on for it.

Mr_Zombie

You never mentioned
Carla
on your review either, so I guess you didn't read the files explaining most of the holes in the story, including who she really is and what's her role in the overall story. Yeah, most of the exposition being in collectible hidden files is a stupid decision, but the story really benefits from reading them.

That was a really stupid decision on Capcom's part.
Hey, we're introducing a new character that is central to the storyline and is the real villain here... but we will keep all the details secret and only reveal it through collectibles, so the in-game story seems even less interesting than it already is.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That was a really stupid decision on Capcom's part. Hey, we're introducing a new character that is central to the storyline and is the real villain here... but we will keep all the details about her secret and only reveal it through collectibles, so the in-game story seems even less interesting than it already is.

May wanna spoiler tag some of that, especially the pronouns.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
For the EX3 event going on right now, can you only do one of the objectives and still qualify for the reward or do you have to do all the objectives of the event to qualify?

Owzers

Last few hours of the RE sale so i'm pushing it, but are any of the multiplayer ps3 dlc worth buying? Do people play this online on ps3? I'm thinking about a mercenaries map pack A and the Predator mode.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Last few hours of the RE sale so i'm pushing it, but are any of the multiplayer ps3 dlc worth buying? Do people play this online on ps3? I'm thinking about a mercenaries map pack A and the Predator mode.

This is probably too late to be of any use to you, but I think the Mercenaries maps are definitely worth buying if you like the mode. As for the multiplayer modes, I think you could probably do without them unless a particular one looks really interesting. I don't think the modes have much longevity (unless you have a circle of friends to play with), and probably by now, only the hardcore players are left on the PS3.

Finally got all 80 emblems without using any guides; it was a bit tedious, but still felt easier than tracking down the BSAA emblems in RE5. Just need to finish the game on Veteran, Professional, and No Hope now...

Or just continue to enjoy Mercs and forget about those, haha.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably too late to be of any use to you, but I think the Mercenaries maps are definitely worth buying if you like the mode. As for the multiplayer modes, I think you could probably do without them unless a particular one looks really interesting. I don't think the modes have much longevity (unless you have a circle of friends to play with), and probably by now, only the hardcore players are left on the PS3.

Finally got all 80 emblems without using any guides; it was a bit tedious, but still felt easier than tracking down the BSAA emblems in RE5. Just need to finish the game on Veteran, Professional, and No Hope now...

Or just continue to enjoy Mercs and forget about those, haha.

I don't think there are any achievements tied to No Hope, in case that's why you want to play that mode.

TheSeks

Man Survivor's is stupid as hell. It's just as bad as "Slayers" was but double-so because you're attempting to melee someone and the netcode fucks up and makes you hit air only for them quick-shot you to death. So fucking stupid.

Predator can be fun when people aren't really pros at it to where rounds come down to you or someone else and the last 10 seconds of Ustanik trying to find you to put you down.

Onslaught is still the best new DLC mode that Biohazard 6 introduced and was in the sale. It's probably a pretty good Mercenaries replacement while being "more of Mercenaries" for people sick of Merc mode.

Riposte

Does anybody know the trick to unlock multiple EX3 costume from a single ticket? Apparently you can unlock 2 - 3 costumes.

Ha, wish I'd known before I spent mine...

Btw, I hate questions like "should I buy this for *a cheap amount*?" Why would people in this thread, at this point, disagree? How can they even predict what you would or would dislike? It is like you want someone to blame if you waste some money if you don't like the game.

Ha, wish I'd known before I spent mine...

Btw, I hate questions like "should I buy this for *a cheap amount*?" Why would people in this thread, at this point, disagree? How can they even predict what you would or would dislike? It is like you want someone to blame if you waste some money if you don't like the game.

What I don't get is why the people who know the trick go around telling people about it and not share it. What's the point? You either share it or don't share it. It is like they are teasing about it.

Yes. I agree. I also find it annoying people ask do I need to play X before Y etc. If they care that much to ask then they should play it in order.

Fantasmo

Finished all the campaigns, and aside from some cheap deaths, I loved every minute. I do hope they make a horror game next though. The action was so over the top they have nowhere else to go.

Fantasmo

Ya know, not for nothing but this game is dead online on PC and some asshole kicks me before we even start playing, meanwhile I'm pretty good and I'd like to get good at RE 6 Mercenaries. Nothing more infuriating than that. Douchebag.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ya know, not for nothing but this game is dead online on PC and some asshole kicks me before we even start playing, meanwhile I'm pretty good and I'd like to get good at RE 6 Mercenaries. Nothing more infuriating than that. Douchebag.
Yep, welcome to the online for Mercs.

I'm on PS3 and I can find a lot of games, but I will only join the games that have "playing for fun". I've found that joining "high score hijinks" or "serious only player" games tend to be a chore to play on. Team mates won't save you, they'll constantly restart if 1 little thing doesn't go to their expectation, or you'll get kicked out during the lobby if your score isn't high enough.

Fuck that noise.

Fantasmo

Yep, welcome to the online for Mercs.

I'm on PS3 and I can find a lot of games, but I will only join the games that have "playing for fun". I've found that joining "high score hijinks" or "serious only player" games tend to be a chore to play on. Team mates won't save you, they'll constantly restart if 1 little thing doesn't go to their expectation, or you'll get kicked out during the lobby if your score isn't high enough.

Fuck that noise.
Good to know, thanks.

First of all I can't even tell how he could know I was new but it doesn't matter if I am because I can hold my own in RE5 Mercs, hell I just got up to 130 kills Duo with someone today on RE6, too bad Recent Players doesn't work with RE6 PC and their name doesn't show up so I can't add them.

Secnd he should be playing in a private match if he cares so much about his e-peen.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Good to know, thanks.

First of all I can't even tell how he could know I was new but it doesn't matter if I am because I can hold my own in RE5 Mercs, hell I just got up to 130 kills Duo with someone today on RE6, too bad Recent Players doesn't work with RE6 PC and their name doesn't show up so I can't add them.

Secnd he should be playing in a private match if he cares so much about his e-peen.
They can tell because a score is usually shown at the bottom of the character you are playing with. Most times, people who are new or haven't played with a specific character will have nothing on the bottom. If your score isn't good enough you'll get kicked by these players.

What annoys me the most in Mercenaries is misleading hosts. They host SERIOUS PLAYERS ONLY/HIGH SCORE HIJINKS and they have zero score or low score. I really do wonder why do they do that? Do they expect high score players to play with them? Similarly low score players join in legitimate HIGH SCORE HIJINKS/SERIOUS PLAYERS hosts.

Why do people who don't know how to play Mercenaries, especially for high score expects to play with high score players or they host with the objective? What's the point?

When I started Mercenaries, I did not join in SERIOUS PLAYERS/HIGH SCORE HIJINKS hosts and played with PLAYING FOR FUN hosts. I also hosted with that objective. When I learnt how Mercenaries work and improved my score, I host and join SERIOUS PLAYERS/HIGH SCORE HIJINKS. How hard is this logic? I can't understand why people do it wrong.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Has anyone here used the ResidentEvil.net stuff? Is it worth going through all that, anything neat that warrants using it?
The EX3 costumes are awesome! The ones made out of blocks. Such a great throwback. I liked the alternate color palette ones too from their costume 2.

Mr_Zombie

What annoys me the most in Mercenaries is misleading hosts. They host SERIOUS PLAYERS ONLY/HIGH SCORE HIJINKS and they have zero score or low score. I really do wonder why do they do that? Do they expect high score players to play with them? Similarly low score players join in legitimate HIGH SCORE HIJINKS/SERIOUS PLAYERS hosts.

I have no idea how many people play RE6 online on consoles, but on PC it's a wasteland. So I suspect that many people simply don't even filter search results and just play with whomever is available at the time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
New EX3 costume unlock event on Resident Evil.net. You have to do Chris Chapter 3 and kill the snake/avenge your fallen comrades.

MrDaravon

Finally got this; was literally free from Gamefly (they had it for $9.99 a couple weeks back and I had two $5 member credits from them), was waiting to get it until that camera patch came out, since the super close camera bugged me more than anything else from the demo.

For a first time running through is it really strongly recommended to play in the chronological order listed in the OP, or am I fine just doing a Campaign at a time?

Fantasmo

Finally got this; was literally free from Gamefly (they had it for $9.99 a couple weeks back and I had two $5 member credits from them), was waiting to get it until that camera patch came out, since the super close camera bugged me more than anything else from the demo.

For a first time running through is it really strongly recommended to play in the chronological order listed in the OP, or am I fine just doing a Campaign at a time?
Its cool to watch the intertwining but it really doesn't matter. Do how you like!

Fantasmo

I dunno if Mercs got easier or I got better but me and a random got a 150 combo on Urban Chaos, and after awhile, if you set a good pace it really isn't that hard!

The hardest part, which is a little luck, but not too much, is when thee cops have magnums and the body armor guys start pouring out with the jumping skeletons.

Unlocked all the stages and characters too. Did that with a couple guys from Japan.

Nobody plays No Mercy on PC sadly. Well, one guy did but no mic really hampers things. That witch is scary as hell.

For the RE.net stuff do you have to link your account? If so, how do you do that on PC?

Mr_Zombie

I would recommend the chronological order simply because constantly changing between scenarios makes the game more varied. Especially since each campaign has a different tone and gameplay styles: Leon's is slower and due to most enemies being zombies fights are more close-ranged; Chris' is more action packed with more agressive enemies and enemies equipped with guns; Sherry's has lots of "gimmick" sections (stealth, vehicle sections, melee only sections, Ustanak fights and chases etc.). I found it easier to stomach all the bad parts of the game that way.

Hello GAF I'm looking for someone to co-op through RE6 with me, I have the game for 360, and I live in the US, on the east coast. If interested please PM me or shoot me a friend request over XBL - my gamer tag is -

xX Soop Xx

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh man we got so close hitting the goal at the last EX3 event :(
So that was the reason why I didn't get a ticket when I checked my profile in RE.NET. It alerted me that I got points for participating in the event, but no ticket. Bummer. ;(

Recently I played with someone who have Training Skill on The Mercenaries. This was on PlayStation 3. How was this possible? Perhaps the person has a custom firmware PlayStation 3?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is Mercenaries still a ghost town on PC? I haven't played the damn game on PC in like 9 months LOL.

Mr_Zombie

Is Mercenaries still a ghost town on PC? I haven't played the damn game on PC in like 9 months LOL.

Unfortunately, yes. Recently I wanted to play a match or two and after waiting for quite some time I just gave up and played solo. I think it's stupid on Capcom's part that they released Revelations so quickly after RE6 on PC because the (already very small) fanbase moved to that game.

(which reminds me, I still need to buy Revelations)

Top Bottom