• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

What if I need to go to pee ....

dumb.jpg

Replicant

Weird. So the prologue is the only thing that tells the story in chronological order? I thought the game will alternate its story between Leon/Chris/Jake but it turns out you still have to choose which character you want to play first.

Sectus

Capcom is still Capcom. There's a total of 10 mercenaries stages in the game. There's enough files for them lying around to tell they are already finished, but the main parts of each stage isn't there (except for 3 stages). So I'm guessing 3 are the pre-order maps, and 4 of them will be released as DLC.

So it's basically on disc dlc again, just not completely on disc.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Capcom is still Capcom. There's a total of 10 mercenaries stages in the game. There's enough files for them lying around to tell they are already finished, but the main parts of each stage isn't there (except for 3 stages). So I'm guessing 3 are the pre-order maps, and 4 of them will be released as DLC.

So it's basically on disc dlc again, just not completely on disc.

Wait, so how many mercs stages are included with the base game? Is it only 3?

Replicant

Before you play this game:

1. Calibrate your TV, for God's sake. I can't emphasize this enough. I tried playing on my living room's old plasma but since that's not calibrated, the colors are all wrong (too much red/yellow), so much jaggies, and the areas are dark/hard to see. So I can't play there anymore and have to move back to my room where the LCD is calibrated properly and looking nice.

2. If you play on PS3, set your PS3's RGB Full range to limited. Setting it to Full range will crush the blacks and ensure you'll get a really dark game.

Thoughts after getting half way through chapter 3 in Leon’s campaign:

+ The music is good, like quite possibly the best RE soundtrack good.
+ The variety in environments is a big plus. Constantly changing!
+ The number of different enemies and the creativity for them is refreshing after RE5 had like no creativity with enemies. Good stuff!
+ Some of the melee stuff is really awesome.
+ Playing with someone else is much more fun than playing solo. (thanks Nemesis! ^_^)

- The story is so uninteresting and barely exists. It drags on too! : /
- The first stage for mercs looks so bad graphically. It’s actually pretty embarrassing.
- Fighting zombies in mercs is a snore. Zero intensity.
- Graphics are still just above average.
- Level design isn’t the best.
- Leon's campaign is not scary.

Some things that made it into this game just make me shake my head - but all in all I’m still enjoying it. 7.5/10 material so far.

To those playing it that are NOT under an embargo how is it so far...is it worth a purchase?

Yup, it's nothing amazing, but it's still pretty fun so far.

Sectus

Only 3. Which is honestly a pathetic number. I get the impression all 10 was supposed to be in the game but they decided to use 7 of them for pre-order dlc and normal dlc.

- Fighting zombies in mercs is a snore. Zero intensity.
How far into the stage did you get? Once you have 5-6 bloodshots after you or 2 whoppers, I'd say it's quite intense.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Argh, why am I not cancelling my preorder?

I just want something new to play. :(

It shouldn't be like this, RE. Not like this.

Only 3. Which is honestly a pathetic number. I get the impression all 10 was supposed to be in the game but they decided to use 7 of them for pre-order dlc and normal dlc.

Yes, that is pathetic. Maybe I will try the preload exploit after all.

10 stages total, minus 3 DLC, minus 4 unfinished. So 3 stages.

That's what I thought but I almost couldn't believe it so I had to check.

denshuu

Which bums me out because I'm kind of looking forward to just playing Mercs exclusively after I'm done with the campaigns. Unless the campaigns are really fun to replay.

Hopefully they don't hold out on the inevitable Mercs Reunion DLC for too long.

Wow.

There's a part early in Leon's campaign similar to defending the shack with Luis in RE4. Only it's about 10 times more intense. And the pace of the action is just unrelenting after that. I'm having a blast with this.

The music is great.

News Bot

Banned
- The story is so uninteresting and barely exists. It drags on too! : /

Of course. It's split into four campaigns, and the meat of the story lies in Ada's campaign and the game's files. Leon's campaign is pretty bare-bones and I think they emphasized drama rather than plot for the main three campaigns.

I'm beginning to enjoy the plot a bit more now. It has some background power-play that always gets me interested.

Sectus

Considering there's pictures and spawn positions for all 10 maps, I doubt any of them are unfinished. I expect them to be released as DLC within weeks of release. I just hope they aren't too expensive. Mercenaries is what I'll definitely be spending the most time on.

It's annoying that the pre-order maps *double* the amount of maps you get with the base game. And unless you live in the UK or a few other countries, you can't get all 3 maps when pre-ordering.

2scoops

Man i wanna play this game so bad. Anyone know of any streets dates being broken in Canada.

I hear you! I'm from Edmonton, and i'm going to start calling some places around 9 ish. My wife came up with that idea. God, i love her!

Anyways, if i find out anything i'll be sure to post the news, if any.

Replicant

The graphic is a mixed bag so far. The first part of Leon's game looks kind of bad (flat textures, some jaggies) but the minute it reaches the portion of the demo it looks rather good.

Robertto

Neo Member
To those playing it that are NOT under an embargo how is it so far...is it worth a purchase?

ive played through the first 2 leon chapters and its just not really doing it for me. i will say the character models look great, graphics overall are good barring a few muddy textures. but there is just no tension, its very much a corridor game as opposed to even re5 which sort of plopped you down into zones, and something about the combat is just boring, there was something really satisfying about re5s combat thats not present here.

also i do love all the UI.

Overall i wouldnt recommend a purchase unless your an re superfan, you have a co-op buddy ready to go and play through the game, or if you have infinite money. i would wait for some sales and pick it up on the cheap and play through it in a weekend. If you havnt played dead space 1 or 2 i would hands down recommend them first.

BTW this is coming from a person that really enjoyed RE5.

SkylineRKR

It seems that nothing has been fixed since the demo build. Its just that some parts have a better camera view than others.

They've brought slow zombies back and made them a decent challenge since I've died a couple of times now. Liking it now.

Yes, the game is a challenge. I am playing on normal and its getting quite tense here and there. But there are also a lot of cheap shots sadly. Being bitten in the neck when I was checking a door, or being hit by puke which is hard to telegraph. There are many times you can't really do anything about it. When zombies jump they also seem to have some invincibility, better is to roll to the side but the not so perfect controls don't always help.

I think skills will contribute to how easy or difficult it is. I can see the game being much easier with damage and health perks.

ironcreed

Banned
Of course not.

EDIT: Try calling a K-Mart, I hear they sell early sometimes.

Oh, I assumed it was not, but just wanted to be sure it was not moved up since so many are getting the game already. Some from EB in other countries. At any rate, I have it paid for and will be waiting until Tuesday as usual.

Curufinwe

Uploaded a video of mercenaries if anyone wants to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

Playing as Helena on Urban Chaos, 135 kills in total.

Looks good. Are there Achievements for doing stuff in Mercenaries in RE 6?

I much preferred RE 4 Mercenaries because there were only four maps and five characters to learn, and I only really played a Wesker seriously. RE 5 Mercs had so much content that it actually put me off.

I hear you! I'm from Edmonton, and i'm going to start calling some places around 9 ish. My wife came up with that idea. God, i love her!

Anyways, if i find out anything i'll be sure to post the news, if any.

Let me know if you find out if any shops in Edmonton are selling it early. I too am from Edmonton and would be stoked if you found a shop. Thanks in advance!

Sectus

Looks good. Are there Achievements for doing stuff in Mercenaries in RE 6?

I much preferred RE 4 Mercenaries because there were only four maps and five characters to learn, and I only really played a Wesker seriously. RE 5 Mercs had so much content that it actually put me off.

There's no achievements for the mercenaries mode, which is a bit weird. But that won't stop me from playing it endlessly anyway.

Mr_Zombie

Uploaded a video of mercenaries if anyone wants to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

Maybe I'm spoiled by RE5's No Mercy mode but... it looks so empty. For over a minute at the beginning, when you were collecting times, there were no enemies in your way. It's surprising, because in RE5 you were always greeted by an enemy or two the moment you started the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is that music associated with the stage or the character? It's kinda cool.

Helena's melee with the flipping around and then gently throwing them to the ground is so fucking stupid. That would not hurt a zombie even a little bit. Too many melee attacks with no real sense of violence.

Edit: It looks like the action ramps up pretty slowly compared to RE4 and 5, but at least it does ramp up. The level design doesn't look nearly as complex as past games though. And maybe I'm crazy but is the FOV wider? I feel like I can see things a lot better, though maybe it's just because Helena is small?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Helena's melee with the flipping around and then gently throwing them to the ground is so fucking stupid. That would not hurt a zombie even a little bit. Too many melee attacks with no real sense of violence.

Yea. I don't like that either. It's just flashy for no apparent reason.

AlexBasch

Game kinda just drops you into the action when you first start it. There's no slow, tense, 10 minute buildup like there have been in past REs. Makes me sad :(
Just like the beginning of RE3 then.

:p

I'm a bit wary now, the store where I preordered my Anthology edition also had the regular edition with the High Seas DLC map as pre order bonus, I wonder if they'll include that in Anthologies or if it's for only regular edition people. >_>

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
For people with the PS3 version, how's the framerate looking? Any improvement from the demo?

You're really good, when you did the tech roll I was like

Great video, congrats

I don't know, I thought he should be using cover a lot more. And maybe, like, sliding into it. That would be totally badass! I mean, that's how it was meant to be played right? lol.

This game is going to be the John Cena of RE games.

Polarizing as fuck, booed by older vets of the RE series, cheered by the little kiddies (people new to the RE lineage), doesn't sell anything but RE merch.

I'm going to really disagree here.

As an old RE fan/veteran (1996/PS1) - I'm really looking forward to Resi 6.

It's my all time favorite series, I view this series differently and to a different standard, than other series'. Resident Evil has always been a step or three behind in terms of its maneuvering and playability. That hasn't hindered my enjoyment one bit. I don't look to RE to match its contemporaries or to assimilate to other gaming standards. The series never has and probably never will. I play RE for an authentic RE experience. I enjoy the unique feel, characters, universe, setting and lore.

No matter what, RE ALWAYS has and will march to the beat of its own drum.

I don't hold it against the series because that is its lineage. That is Resident Evil.

Looking forward to installment "6"

(really 9, when you count 0, CV and Revelations ^_^)

Sectus

Maybe I'm spoiled by RE5's No Mercy mode but... it looks so empty. For over a minute at the beginning, when you were collecting times, there were no enemies in your way. It's surprising, because in RE5 you were always greeted by an enemy or two the moment you started the game.
The game definitely never gets close to the amount of enemies in no mercy mode, but it does ramp up. The beginning for every stage is always really really easy and quiet, with only a few slow walking zombies. But the more you kill, the more enemies spawn and you get faster and tougher ones. If you skip 5-6 minutes into the video you should see it starts to become quiet hectic at times.

Unfortunately, it looks like there's one single track for all of mercenaries mode. It's a huge bummer as Mercenaries 3D did a great job with having lots of varied music.

Edit: It looks like the action ramps up pretty slowly compared to RE4 and 5, but at least it does ramp up. The level design doesn't look nearly as complex as past games though. And maybe I'm crazy but is the FOV wider? I feel like I can see things a lot better, though maybe it's just because Helena is small?
Urban Chaos is like Public Assembly in RE5, it has the simpliest map design. All the other maps are a lot of complicated and they have many more combo bonuses too (I think Urban only has one).

I don't know, I thought he should be using cover a lot more. And maybe, like, sliding into it. That would be totally badass! I mean, that's how it was meant to be played right? lol.
Pfffft, cover doesn't exist in this game.

You're really good, when you did the tech roll I was like

Mlpfb.gif

Great video, congrats
Thanks. Doing dodges and counters are likely the most satisfying thing you can do in the game (when you do it right that is! feels pretty stupid to wait for a counter and then just get hit anyway).

Gbraga

image.php

SLIIIIIIIIIIDE

Thanks. Doing dodges and counters are likely the most satisfying thing you can do in the game (when you do it right that is! feels pretty stupid to wait for a counter and then just get hit anyway).

The Hydra quick shots are probably my favorite moves in the game.

Top Bottom