• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

ironcreed

Banned
image.php

SLIIIIIIIIIIDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=topxQ5lud-0

A dedication.

Mr_Zombie

Game kinda just drops you into the action when you first start it. There's no slow, tense, 10 minute buildup like there have been in past REs. Makes me sad :(

Eh, that's not true.

RE2 drops you right into the action too. You start next to a burning car and if you don't start moving when the game begins, you can be quickly surrounded by zombies.
RE3 starts with an explosion and Jill running away from a bunch of zombies through a narrow alley.
In RECV, as soon as you leave the prison, a truck explodes and a bunch of naked zombies come from their graves. And the moment you leave the graveyard, a punk starts shooting at you from a turret.

AlexBasch

Eh, that's not true.

RE2 drops you right into the action too. You start next to a burning car and if you don't start moving when the game begins, you can be quickly surrounded by zombies.
RE3 starts with an explosion and Jill running away from a bunch of zombies through a narrow alley.
In RECV, as soon as you leave the prison, a truck explodes and a bunch of naked zombies come from their graves. And the moment you leave the graveyard, a punk starts shooting at you from a turret.
But duuuude, tank controls, fixed camera and pre-rendered backgrounds made it survival horror, c'mooon.

Sectus

Have you unlocked any costumes yet for the characters? Or well how do you unlock since you start with the 3 first.

You unlock a character's alternate costume by getting a high rank with them once.

I'm working on a video which has every single costume in the game which I'll upload later.

Nori Chan

You unlock a character's alternate costume by getting a high rank with them once.

I'm working on a video which has every single costume in the game which I'll upload later.

Oh so only one costume per person in Mercanaries?

Any pics of them? Spoil tag it of course :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I might of had a mix-up Inow found out on the chapter select thing. The order I posted I'm certain is how the story would go in as much chronological order as you can make it, but in earnest I didn't try switching campaigns at all while playing and just recalled before release Capcom said you could switch between campaigns at will. Some are saying you can't though, all I know is there's chapter select for chapters you already completed.

Just completed Chris. I said damn.

As I was saying, Chris's campaign starts to really pick up the last couple chapters. His last area and boss is one of the few areas that are really visually stunning in my opinion, I really liked the music, and his story goes from not being entirely interesting to being actually really well done. Chris probably has the best end game in my opinion. End-Game Chris Spoilers:
I really didn't see that coming. When Chris started telling Piers he was going to retire after this mission, I was suspecting some things, but not that.

Have you unlocked any costumes yet for the characters? Or well how do you unlock since you start with the 3 first.

I believe most of the costumes are obtained through the RE.NET system, which won't be up until October 2nd likely through a patch. However, I have heard you get stuff in Mercs for beating a stage with an A or higher rank, or the first time you get an A rank or higher with a character.

Jesus Christ that camera is making me sick. Video games never make me sick.

One solution is to turn the camera speed down, seems to help people with this issue alot. Aiming speed up, camera speed down.

hamchan

Eh, that's not true.

Meh, it's not untrue either since it was a slower start for RE, RE4 and RE5.

mhi

But duuuude, tank controls, fixed camera and pre-rendered backgrounds made it survival horror, c'mooon.

No, the environments, scarcity of ammo/health, puzzle/clue(all the while giving context) metagame.

Its no secret that the newer games simply have different direction.

Sectus

Oh so only one costume per person in Mercanaries?

Any pics of them? Spoil tag it of course :)

There's more than one costume. The system is kinda interesting. Based on the map you play, your character automatically uses a different costume. If you use Leon in Mining the Depths you'll get Leon with his jacket, if you play as Leon in Urban Chaos he'll get a different costume.

And then there's the unlockable ones which you can choose manually. There are more than one of those, although the others are both lazy and crazy.

I'll link to the video with all the costumes once I have it uploaded. Although I might not get it uploaded before tonight.

Neiteio

Nice to see Sectus vouching for RE6 Mercs. More impressions from him would be appreciated. He mastered Mercs in RE5, so he could really speak to the depth (or absence thereof).

is this game packed with any good 'extras', like RE5?

I got ridiculously addicted to building points and buying the 'figures' in RE5. :D
Also neat getting different filters, costumes, weapons, etc. by beating the game on different difficulties. Also loved the New Game +.

Please tell me RE6 has incentives for multiple playthroughs. :}

Ein Bear

There's more than one costume. The system is kinda interesting. Based on the map you play, your character automatically uses a different costume. If you use Leon in Mining the Depths you'll get Leon with his jacket,if you play as Leon in Urban Chaos he'll get a different costume.

And then there's the unlockable ones which you can choose manually. There are more than one of those, although the others are both lazy and crazy.

I'll link to the video with all the costumes once I have it uploaded. Although I might not get it uploaded before tonight.

Holy shit!!

Edit: Just realised your probably meant his RE6 one, not the RE4 jacket :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Again, I can't help but shake the feeling that RE5 looks a hell of a lot better than RE6.
It looks really different.

RE6 seems to be aiming for much more ambitious lighting effects this time around and that seems to be costing them in other areas.

News Bot

Banned
No, the environments, scarcity of ammo/health, puzzle/clue(all the while giving context) metagame.

Its no secret that the newer games simply have different direction.

There is significantly less ammo in BH6. It's not plentiful at all unless you buy the enemy drop skill. Even on Chris's campaign, the most action-heavy, I found myself with a handful of bullets at best quite a lot. Without the melee button, you'd be screwed. Even then, you run out of stamina relatively fast once you're relying on it, so it gets quite tense.

The older games focused more on exploration within isolated environments.

Can you tell me what the outsourcing companies are?

Extremely curious to see who ended up working on this, some parts look so sloppy I wouldn't be surprised if TOSE or AQ (FEELPLUS+) were involved.

Only one I can recall is Just Cause Productions, but they're the mo-cap/cut-scene/voice people.

It looks really different.

RE6 seems to be aiming for much more ambitious lighting effects this time around and that seems to be costing them in other areas.

And much larger areas. That likely took a toll on it.

Dusk Golem

is this game packed with any good 'extras', like RE5?

I got ridiculously addicted to building points and buying the 'figures' in RE5. :D
Also neat getting different filters, costumes, weapons, etc. by beating the game on different difficulties. Also loved the New Game +.

Please tell me RE6 has incentives for multiple playthroughs. :}

There's apparently 30 blue medallions hidden away in Leon's, Chris's, and Jake's scenarios (and likely Ada's), making 90+ to find. Shooting medallions may host other awards, but immediately they seem to unlock readable files and figurines.

There's Skill Points and Skills which replace the upgrade and money system which can be fun making a good load-out for your character. Quite a few skills too, and they're all upgradable and require a certain number of skill points in reserve to equip.

The two characters in each campaign actually play pretty different roles. It likely will be worth going through every chapter twice just to see it from both perspective, since there's quite a few moments where the two characters objectives are completely different or they take completely different routes in a stage.

There's Mercenaries Mode of course, and Agent Hunt. Agent Hunt allows you to play the game with two human players playing the, well, humans, and two other players playing some of the random monsters in the campaign.

Once October 2nd comes along, RE.NET will unlock which is sure to add a whole lot of replayability: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtCkRp_rUT0

And we all know DLC is eventually coming.

Sectus

Nice to see Sectus vouching for RE6 Mercs. More impressions from him would be appreciated. He mastered Mercs in RE5, so he could really speak to the depth (or absence thereof).

I recognize your name from the ye olde days of the RE5 mega thread. RE6 plays so differently from RE5 but I think they got a fun combat style here.

It's too early to tell, but I hope there's no way to cheese mercs mode in this game. In RE5 the ideal way to play it was just to spam Cobra Strike as Wesker. Even in reunion, you might as well just spam the same melee move all the time.

Holy shit!!

Edit: Just realised your probably meant his RE6 one, not the RE4 jacket :(

Yeah, sorry, I mean his RE6 jacket.

hamchan

I can't tell if there's a way to buy and change skills in game, rather than exiting to the main menu and changing it there. Rather annoying if there's no option there.

Also I think this game has loads of value for money. 1st Leon chapter took around 2 hours for me and there are 5 chapters in each campaign. I've only unlocked like 3 skills so far and there's a ton of them. There are still 2 higher difficulties then what I'm playing at. Then there's Mercenaries to keep playing as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Again, I can't help but shake the feeling that RE5 looks a hell of a lot better than RE6.

Particularly the rendering quality of the enemies, their models, and their animations (even though they are partly recycled from RE4). Yes I know I'm looking at the PC version.

Gbraga

Man I can't wait to see RE6's PC version, all the setback from consoles that got worse than RE5 because they were going for lighting and stuff like that won't be there, so we'll get the new stuff from the newest version of MT Framework without the muddy look.

Or maybe I'm delusional and it will be the same thing but a little better? I don't know how the newest Capcom PC ports are, DMC4 and RE5 were great but I'm not following since then.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Man I can't wait to see RE6's PC version, all the setback from consoles that got worse than RE5 because they were going for lighting and stuff like that won't be there, so we'll get the new stuff from the newest version of MT Framework without the muddy look.

Or maybe I'm delusional and it will be the same thing but a little better? I don't know how the newest Capcom PC ports are, DMC4 and RE5 were great but I'm not following since then.

Depends on whether this game was a product of limited tech or limited talent. Many signs point toward the latter.

I can't wait to play this thing so I can have a fully formed opinion and then either like it and play it a lot or sell it and never think about it again.

Bladenic

I ordered off Newegg but I said to send it to my home address not my college one, and I cant see any place to change it. Is it possible? Because if not, then it will have to go home then my parents will have to send it to me, which means I won't be playing this game until NEXT weekend. The wait will be painful.

Sorry if this has been answered already but I have a checkpoint question.

I've noticed that after turning off the game and booting it up later, I won't always start at the last checkpoint I quit at. In fact, sometimes I'll be as far as 2-3 checkpoints back. How do I know which checkpoints will let me start where I left off and which are just for death respawns?

I've had to replay areas I already beat a couple times now due to this. It's definitely not me quitting before it fully saved or anything.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I ordered off Newegg but I said to send it to my home address not my college one, and I cant see any place to change it. Is it possible? Because if not, then it will have to go home then my parents will have to send it to me, which means I won't be playing this game until NEXT weekend. The wait will be painful.

You could email them. I've had reasonably quick responses in the past. It shouldn't be shipped yet, so it shouldn't be too late.

Dusk Golem

We haven't seen the PC version of RE6 yet, so we won't know until we do. Capcom says they're aiming for an earlier 2013 release for the PC version, hopefully we'll see media. Also the modding scene for the game should be interesting, there's already a huge amount of potential simply by what's already in the game without taking into account what could be changed about it.

Sectus

I've noticed that after turning off the game and booting it up later, I won't always start at the last checkpoint I quit at. In fact, sometimes I'll be as far as 2-3 checkpoints back. How do I know which checkpoints will let me start where I left off and which are just for death respawns?

I've had to replay areas I already beat a couple times now due to this. It's definitely not me quitting before it fully saved or anything.
If it works like in RE5, it'll load the level you got to. So if you get a loading screen, that should be a more reliable checkpoint.

Replicant

I have the same issue and it's definitely fucking annoying, especially after you pulled off a successful path (no damage, killed all enemies) and quitting because you had to go somewhere. I really wish there's a manual save mode instead of automatic save. Never like automatic save in any game.

Call newegg

Dusk Golem

I'm beginning to think that the emblems are actually spread across difficulties... Absolutely cannot find anymore on Normal.

I don't know anything since I opted to play the game on Veteran my first time, but I can say some of the Blue Medallions are extremely well hidden. Some are in very obvious locations, but others can be hard to spot. I've found a few just by looking off in the background and they'll be shining on a background building, or spot it when heading backwards, or dangling in a tree, etc. But I don't know if there is any that are difficulty specific.

I'm forming a theory that I think there is at least one medallion hidden away somewhere in each loadable area of the game. So everytime you get a change of scenery (or go through one of those doors that load a new area) I think there's a medallion hidden somewhere. It's a trend I've begun to notice.

haikira

Ah damn. Was half way through purchasing this at a local video store and even had the game in my hand, when the manager came back and freaked out at the guy selling me it.

So jelly of all the people getting it early.

xtianmarq

I'm beginning to think that the emblems are actually spread across difficulties... Absolutely cannot find anymore on Normal.

Can't imagine Capcom doing something like this. Sounds like some of them are just really well hidden. Grab a game guide...should have all of the locations listed.

News Bot

Banned
I don't know anything since I opted to play the game on Veteran my first time, but I can say some of the Blue Medallions are extremely well hidden. Some are in very obvious locations, but others can be hard to spot. I've found a few just by looking off in the background and they'll be shining on a background building, or spot it when heading backwards, or dangling in a tree, etc. But I don't know if there is any that are difficulty specific.

I'm forming a theory that I think there is at least one medallion hidden away somewhere in each loadable area of the game. So everytime you get a change of scenery (or go through one of those doors that load a new area) I think there's a medallion hidden somewhere. It's a trend I've begun to notice.

I've noticed that trend too. But christ these things are annoying. I just want the plot!

Top Bottom