• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Played through two Leon chapters, and yeah... feels like an RE game made by a different company. It's super linear, and focused primarily on being a blockbuster spectacle with graphically stunning, bombastic set pieces that rely a little too often on QTE's.

Still, the freedom of movement and improved melee make you feel pretty badass. So, it's fun when it's not trying too hard.

Lucent

Dumb question, but how do you mix green and red herbs? I got both in the demo but couldn't find them in an item list or something. Healing in general kinda confused me. D:

To combine them, just press Y/Triangle to open the item menu. If you have a red and green herb, you can just press X/Square on one of them and it should automatically bring you to the other herb and you can combine them.

To refill pills after doing this, press RT/R2 at the same time as X/Square out of the menu.

Only have to press RT/R2 to heal. Press it as many times as you need squares.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dumb question, but how do you mix green and red herbs? I got both in the demo but couldn't find them in an item list or something. Healing in general kinda confused me. D:

Y brings up the actual inventory for that. I think it was RB + X to add them to the pill container. Just hitting RB adds 1 bar of health and refills your stamina, you can time the button presses to take more than one at once.

Sectus

Is mercs mode a melee fest again or can you spend more time shooting? Did they change it at all?

I think it's less of a melee fest than RE5. You have a melee gauge which will deplete if you spam certain melee attacks, and there's more enemy types which just aren't feasible to melee.

Lucent

Y brings up the actual inventory for that. I think it was RB + X to add them to the pill container. Just hitting RB adds 1 bar of health and refills your stamina, you can time the button presses to take more than one at once.

Ah. Yeah I might've messed up on the Xbox side of the information on how to do it then. I don't have a 360 anymore, so I don't know how they assigned the buttons to do stuff on there.

Papercuts

Ah. Yeah I might've messed up on the Xbox side of the information on how to do it then. I don't have a 360 anymore, so I don't know how they assigned the buttons to do stuff on there.

I might be wrong too, lol. RT is melee though, I'm pretty sure it's RB.

So, I just got into the Re6 drama of the 4.5 of Kevin VanOrd.

And I find this entertaining.

http://i.imgur.com/SoSNA.png

If one checks this picture, you can see VanOrd is actively complaining about cutscenes.

The very same person that gave mgs4 a 10/10.

Dont get me wrong, I love MGS4 and I dont have RE6 yet to know if the cutscenes are more tiresome, long, and intrusive as the mgs4 ones...

Can't wait till Oct.2 to find out!

antitrop

If one checks this picture, you can see VanOrd is actively complaining about cutscenes.

Dont get me wrong, I love MGS4 and I dont have RE6 yet to know if the cutscenes are more tiresome, long, and intrusive as the mgs4 ones...

I have absolutely zero respect for this man.

His score and opinions mean nothing to me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
average length of each campaign?

6-8 hours for Leon, Chris, and Jake. Ada's campaign is about 4-6 hours. Likely somewhere between 24-30 hours your first time through each campaign once.

And the game has a good chunk of replay value.

Replicant

Holy shit at the Rooftop gangbang on Chris' campaign. Somehow during that confrontation either my skills get better by necessity or the game just flows better because there are a lot of spaces to move around, I actually enjoy the run and melee part of the game.

Having said that, it's really annoying how almost every enemies you encounter can mutate into something else depending on where you shoot them. Sometimes you're not even safe by shooting a certain body part. You'd think "Oh, I better shoot them in the leg instead of arms so their arm don't mutate but FML, their legs mutated instead. So you shoot the arm thinking "Oh, this will do the trick" but again FML, now their arms mutated as well. So now you have to fight this mutated abomination arms and legs. I should really try shooting the head but knowing my luck, it'll mutate into something else instead. Also, it's hard to do it now with the frantic pace the game puts you in.

Also, I just realize now that there's no point in trying to play the game chronologically because even if you play a specific character first, either Chris or Jake, the game will still send you forward into the present scenario before jumping back into the past story. So you'll never see the chronological order until you completed all campaigns and go to the movie viewer.

Lucent

Eff that guy. =x

Sectus

Bleh, I think someone just spoiled the endings for me. I guess that's the risk of uploading videos of the game without having played through it. Someone just randomly wrote a comment with a bunch of spoilers.

JoeFenix

Can someone post the credits on youtube? I don't want to see the ending or anything but I am EXTREMELY curious to see who worked on this game!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Having said that, it's really annoying how almost every enemies you encounter can mutate into something else depending on where you shoot them. Sometimes you're not even safe by shooting a certain body part. You'd think "Oh, I better shoot them in the leg instead of arms so their arm don't mutate but FML, their legs mutated instead. So you shoot the arm thinking "Oh, this will do the trick" but again FML, now their arms mutated as well. So now you have to fight this mutated abomination arms and legs. I should really try shooting the head but knowing my luck, it'll mutate into something else instead. Also, it's hard to do it now with the frantic pace the game puts you in.

I dunno, that sounds fucking awesome.

To combine them, just press Y/Triangle to open the item menu. If you have a red and green herb, you can just press X/Square on one of them and it should automatically bring you to the other herb and you can combine them.

To refill pills after doing this, press RT/R2 at the same time as X/Square out of the menu.

Only have to press RT/R2 to heal. Press it as many times as you need squares.

Holy shit that sounds stupidly complicated. How is that somehow more complicated than it was in past RE games?

Lucent

Holy shit that sounds stupidly complicated. How is that somehow more complicated than it was in past RE games?

It's not really. It just sounds like it. When you know how to do it, you don't even think about it. It's not really any different from what you had to do in RE4/RE5. If anything, it's faster to do the combining. The pill refill is only combo of two buttons and you don't have to do that often. And you didn't even have a button mapped to healing yourself in the other RE games. You could hot key a health item in RE5, but still had to press another button to do the healing. It's just done differently is all. =)

EDIT: Also note that the / thing (like X/Square) is because I was trying to refer to both 360/PS3 to cover both users. You probably knew that, but that's the only way I think that'd make it look complicated.

Papercuts

They revamped the way you heal to accommodate the stamina system. It actually works really well.

Lucent

They revamped the way you heal to accommodate the stamina system. It actually works really well.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That, too. It's really useful. Especially if you go in and are like "Well, I need to heal, might as well go melee crazy since my stamina will go back up when I heal, too."

omonimo

Banned
Have you played the demo? It really isn't as complicated as it sounds, it's a quite good system actually.

:/ Yeah right, like the whole controls. Best ever. Sound like the DMC 2 of RE series. Leon campaign show some intriguing things, but everything going terrible down with the controls, ai & the following campaign. I don't know what the hell capcom thinking when are worked on this game.

Sojgat

Oh, god, I think, I think this game might be terrible. The campaign is putting me to sleep, it's everything I hate about COD campaigns, but worse. VanOrd is right about there being a cutscene every 3 minutes, it's just so linear. Walk here, shoot this, QTE, cutscene. They aren't long cutscenes, just short, constantly interrupting gameplay. I'm going to keep playing, but it's not looking promising. The environments are amazing in some areas, I really like the lighting, however combat in some of the dark confined spaces is just a fucking mess.

So I started playing mercenaries, one stage unlocked so far, but there are only slots for 2 others listed under it. I've got DLC preorder codes to download more, but please tell me this game doesn't come standard with only 3 maps.

Nemesis_

I love the way that the limbs mutate, it makes you kind of weigh up how you want to kill something - do you want to shoot it's legs off (and augment it's speed) or instead shoot it's arms off (and force it to come closer to you).

I think it adds this dynamic to the battles and makes them more fast paced, to be perfectly honest.

FUCK when they undergo Chrysalide (sp?) though. That shit is NASTY

Loving this game, definitely AT LEAST a 7 by me, it loses a few points for providing less story than, say, RE5 did

Gbraga

I wish I could've played this today...

September 28th. Daylight... D:

:/ Yeah right, like the whole controls. Best ever. Sound like the DMC 2 of RE series. Leon campaign show some intriguing things, but everything going terrible down with the controls, ai & the follow campaign. I don't know what the hell capcom thinking when are worked on this game.

I really like the controls judging by the demo lol

Moze

Banned
6-8 hours for Leon, Chris, and Jake. Ada's campaign is about 4-6 hours. Likely somewhere between 24-30 hours your first time through each campaign once.

And the game has a good chunk of replay value.

sounds like a great length

im used to 8 hour campaigns but this has three 8 hour campaigns damn

Ok, I’m starting to really warm up to this. Stayed up till 3am last night.

The game has its fair share of problems, but man is it bat-shit insane with an awesome amount of variety! It takes so many risks and so much of it is pretty memorable. Leon’s chapter 4 in particular was really great. And the enemies continue to impress! Some of them are truly creative and overall the best the series has seen in a long time.....and quite possibly ever! That thing in the
Chinese markets that came from the dead pigs that regenerates = AWESOME!
Other memorable stuff includes fighting
Deborah, the shark boss (WTF?), being on the plane and lastly seeing Simmons skin split when fighting him.
The game has a very Japanese crazy feel to it and I’m starting to really get into it. I just wish the meeting with
Leon and Sherry was a little more dramatic. I mean they didn’t even seem to care they met up. Also, Ada seems a little....dull?
Other than that, this is getting goooooooood!

Choc

Banned

As someone who knows how this shit works, those tweets could be seen as breaking the embargo

just sayin

Lucent

I love the way that the limbs mutate, it makes you kind of weigh up how you want to kill something - do you want to shoot it's legs off (and augment it's speed) or instead shoot it's arms off (and force it to come closer to you).

I think it adds this dynamic to the battles and makes them more fast paced, to be perfectly honest.

FUCK when they undergo Chrysalide (sp?) though. That shit is NASTY

Loving this game, definitely AT LEAST a 7 by me, it loses a few points for providing less story than, say, RE5 did

=l

I don't like the sound of that. It does sound like they leave it up to your playing all four campaigns before you understand it (might be giving it too much credit). And you have to unlock all the files to get all the details. I don't know. I know they said there's supposed to be like four hours worth of cutscenes?

But really, the other RE games were like that for the most part. Most of the depth of the plot was in the files. There weren't a ton of cutscenes in the other games.

The mixed opinions are kind of leaving me worried. It sucks because I've been looking forward to this ever since the first trailer was shown (I loved it). RE5 was great to go through the first time and even subsequent times were fun with a partner. Actually, I did play it the first time through with a partner so...mmm...

Why, Capcom?

Ok, I’m starting to really warm up to this. Stayed up till 3am last night.

The game has its fair share of problems, but man is it bat-shit insane with an awesome amount of variety! It takes so many risks and so much of it is pretty memorable. Leon’s chapter 4 in particular was really great. And the enemies continue to impress! Some of them are truly creative and overall the best the series has seen in a long time.....and quite possibly ever! That thing in the
Chinese markets that came from the dead pigs that regenerates = AWESOME!
Other memorable stuff includes fighting
Deborah, the shark boss (WTF?), being on the plane and lastly seeing Simmons skin split when fighting him.
The game has a very Japanese crazy feel to it and I’m starting to really get into it. I just wish the meeting with
Leon and Sherry was a little more dramatic. I mean they didn’t even seem to care they met up. Also, Ada seems a little....dull?
Other than that, this is getting goooooooood!

Hope! =D

ironcreed

Banned

While he is most certainly entitled to his opinion, that is not very professional for someone reviewing a game under an embargo. If he was just some regular Joe Schmoe playing the game and talking about how much he hates it then that is all fine and dandy, but he was playing the game under entirely different circumstances. This was his job, he was under embargo and should stay objective, quiet and leave his critique for the review. He can hate it personally and talk about it after the embargo all he wants. But not during his review and before it even drops. Big thumbs down.

a70.gif

Prine

Banned
Im with the guy who said that this is one of the best 3rd person shooting mechanics yet. The dynamism is pretty spectacular - makes my head spin thinking of the amount of options available for me to dispose of enemies. 1 on 1 or groups, with a weapon or without.

I preordered the game after playing the demo today, its not traditional RE but the gun play is far beyond the others. Advice to all sitting on the fence, play the game and form your own opinion.

Lucent

How so?

I'm playing it chronologically so most of the story is actually quite cohesive.

I think Leon's campaign, in particular, feels very side-story ish for the first half or so from what I've heard.

I swear I think I've seen two different variations of the chronological order. Which one are you doing?

Mgs4 was four years ago
Maybe his stance has changed
Maybe the cut scenes are not good

While he is most certainly entitled to his opinion, that is not very professional for someone reviewing a game under an embargo. If he was just some regular Joe Schmoe playing the game and talking about how much he hates it then that is all fine and dandy, but he was playing the game under entirely different circumstances. This was his job, he was under embargo and should stay objective, quiet and leave his critique for the review. He can hate it personally and talk about it after the embargo all he wants. But not during his review and before it even drops. Big thumbs down.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/254/517/a70.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

What I can never understand is why they let people that dislike certain games review them anyway. Let someone that's indifferent do the review. I see why people like Conan's reviews so much.

How so?

I'm playing it chronologically so most of the story is actually quite cohesive.

I think Leon's campaign, in particular, feels very side-story ish for the first half or so from what I've heard.

It's still early days, but so far I feel the story adds nothing. I mean at least RE4 showed off Ada and Leon's awesome chemistry together LOL.

Ehhhh, I'll probably take back my comment, but so far it just seems kinda uninteresting. Keep in mind I’m basing this off of Leon’s campaign!

Lucent

Dusk's

Is that the best one? So far it makes the most sense based on what I've seen?

I don't know. I just know I've seen two and I want to know which one to follow to get the most enjoyment out of the story. I think it'd be the best way to play it instead of going through one all the way and doing the same for the other two. Especially since the game would end for one campaign but then you'd be back in the beginning or middle with someone else and see stuff again. It'd really make it feel more like one long story.

So I ended up changing the camera speed to 3, and cracked up the aiming speed to 9 or something and the game felt so much better.

I think I'm gonna try this in a bit. I've been looking for the best kind of camera speeds. I think 9 on aiming speed might be a bit much for me though. My eyes aren't that fast. And I like the slower aim to make precise aiming feel easier. Though not too slow.

I think the reason the other RE games like 4 and 5 felt more stable was because you couldn't move while shooting and the camera didn't move like Gears of War when you do the roadie run. You have to rotate your character in 4 and 5 and assess the situation. Stand somewhere safe to shoot the enemies and then stop to move to another safe place to avoid being hit.

Nemesis_

It's still early days, but so far I feel the story adds nothing. I mean at least RE4 showed off Ada and Leon's awesome chemistry together LOL.

Ehhhh, I'll probably take back my comment, but so far it just seems kinda uninteresting. Keep in mind I’m basing this off of Leon’s campaign!

I wouldn't expect Leon's campaign to gain ay trajectory (plot wise) until once they get out of Tall Oaks tbh.

This is precisely why I am playing chronologically instead of campaign-by-campaign

Top Bottom