• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Monsters in RE6 are all pretty interesting, I am happy sites and such have written articles about them and reviews mention it as the monsters really help make the game here.

Feel in a list-making mood, so these are what I recall monster-wise from the game, though probably missed a few:

General 'Monster' Types (monsters groupings that have multiple variations, like Villager Majini or Base Ganado):
-Zombie (Civilian Type)
-Zombie (Occupation Type, have special properties like a police officer, BSAA Soilder, or fireman)
-Zombie (Warrior/Rotting Type)
-J'Avos (Mercenary Type)
-J'Avos (Bodyguard/Doctor Type)
-J'Avos (Base Type)

Other Monsters:
-Giant Zombies (the really fat things with a ton of health, pick you up, and charge)
-Zombie Dog (pretty self-explanatory)
-Zombie Crow (again self-explanatory)
-Crimson Zombies (zombies with more health, skinless, faster, and do more damage. Also leap alot)
-Screamer (a zombie who screams and stuns you, but rarely attacks directly and runs away until it recharges its scream)
-Flesh Ooze (reminiscent of the monsters in Revelations, except a lot jittery and regenerates. They cannot be killed and their limbs when disembodied gain minds of their own)
-Exploding Robots (they play a small part, but the robots that explode when they get near you)
-Fireflies (those flying flesh flies that alert other enemies when they spot you)
-Snow Mobile J'Avo (they ride snow mobiles while you're on foot, you can shoot and kill them and take their snow mobile if you wish)
-Motorbike J'Avos (for the motorbike section)

J'Avo Mutations & Chrysalide Mutations (not including normal mutations like arms breaking into tentacles):
-J'Avos Chicken Men (the ones that have the big legs that look like chicken legs that can jump far distances and stomp on you)
-J'Avos Head Splitters (the ones with the pincher heads that try to crush you)
-J'Avos Spiders (grow legs, can leap and crawl walls and ceilings)
-J'Avos Cockroach (like Spider J'Avos, but with a protective back shell, no arms, and acid)
-J'Avos Shield (Shielded J'Avos)
-J'Avos Maggot (a giant maggot disected with human body parts that explode when forming)
-J'Avos Worm (a worm like thing that pops out of their head that spews web that hurts and traps the victim)
-J'Avos Prawn (a weird tail and claws grow out of their face and rips open their back. Makes the J'Avo run around wildly after you, swining around their weapon constantly)
-Chrysalide Catcher Flies (the ones that look like insectoid dragons that fly and grapple onto you)
-Chrysalide Needle Lizards (the lizards that run around quickly and shoot needles)
-Chrysalide Brutes (the giant enemies that have a lot of health, slow except when charging, and pack a powerful punch)
-Chrysalide Infectors (a powerful monster which emits gas that is harmful)
-Chrysalide Bee Swarm (A giant queen bee that is surrounded by a huge swarm of smaller bees that go out as a platoon to swarm you, but leaves the queen exposed in places)

Bosses *Spoilers*
-Giant Ogre Monsters
-Deborah (Spider Queen)
-Ustanak Stretch-Arm (stretching arm boss and chaser)
-Ustanak Gatling Gun (when riding the choppers)
-Ustanak Driller (drilling arm boss and chaser)
-Ustanak Hunter (with the gripping arm, cage on its back, and the like)
-Ustanak Iron Ball & Chain (the iron ball and chain Ustanak)
-Ustanak Brawler (the brawling Ustanak)
-Giant Shark
-Giant Invisible Snake
-Helicopter
-Majini Tank
-Simmons Dog Form
-Simmons Wolf Gunner Form
-Simmons Centaur Form
-Simmons Scorpion Form
-Simmons Dinosaur Form
-Simmons Colossus Form
-Chainsaw Chrysalide
-Carla
-Queen Chrysalide Form 1
-Queen Chrysalide Form 2

God the monsters in this game are awesome.

Replicant

I love the way that the limbs mutate, it makes you kind of weigh up how you want to kill something - do you want to shoot it's legs off (and augment it's speed) or instead shoot it's arms off (and force it to come closer to you).

Unless there's a guide on which J'avo mutate which parts of their body, you can't really strategize which body part you shoot. I'm not sure if it's randomize or if there are indeed, different type of J'avo for different body type mutations but if you shoot them too much, it's guaranteed to mutate one of their body parts.

Arms: tentacle-like claws come out
Both arms: both tentacle-claws form some sort of shield that protects their body when they get attacked.
Legs: a moth-like creature comes out and turns the person upside down.
Chest: a Spider-like creature comes out and allows the J'avo to climb onto the ceiling.

So far in my game headshots haven't mutated anything but as we know in the past RE (RE4 especially), headshot often brings about that spiky tendrils. I did notice that light shot + melee combo seems to be the safest way to kill these J'avo.

Sojgat

Regular sensitivity - 3 or 4, possibly 2 is that's still too fast
Aiming sensitivity - 6

I've been playing around with the settings all morning and have come to the conclusion that the default works best for me.

Also

There is no way this thing deserves an 8.8. Gamplay is interupted every other minute to be handholdy or "cinematic". The combat system is kind of genius, even though anything that touches you triggers a QTE and the shooting doesn't feel quite right IMO, but the rest of the game seems to have been designed by Howler monkeys (or for them).

Dusk Golem

Unless there's a guide on which J'avo mutate which parts of their body, you can't really strategize which body part you shoot. I'm not sure if it's randomize or if there are indeed, different type of J'avo for different body type mutations but if you shoot them too much, it's guaranteed to mutate one of their body parts.

Arms: tentacle-like claws come out
Both arms: both tentacle-claws form some sort of shield that protects their body when they get attacked.
Legs: a moth-like creature comes out and turns the person upside down.
Chest: a Spider-like creature comes out and allows the J'avo to climb onto the ceiling.

So far in my game headshots haven't mutated anything but as we know in the past RE (RE4 especially), headshot often brings about that spiky tendrils. I did notice that light shot + melee combo seems to be the safest way to kill these J'avo.

Different J'Avos seem to appear also based on how late into the game you are, while others seem more likely in other areas. Like I was posting above, I've seen everything from J'Avos
that look like they have aliens come out of their heads (look like prawns) that then run around wildly and swing around whatever weapon they're carrying like a madman
, to J'Avos
that's arm and legs split into multiple insect-like arms and grow a protective backshell and scatter around spewing acid like cockroaches.

Replicant

Different J'Avos seem to appear also based on how late into the game you are, while others seem more likely in other areas. Like I was posting above, I've seen everything from J'Avos
that look like they have aliens come out of their heads (look like prawns) that then run around wildly and swing around whatever weapon they're carrying like a madman
, to J'Avos
that's arm and legs split into multiple insect-like arms and grow a protective backshell and scatter around spewing acid like cockroaches.

It's a shame that some of these fuckers wield weapons because it just makes them look ridiculous. I think it'd have been scarier if they just have other method of attacking. For example, I think my heart stopped a bit when I saw
Spider pops out of J'avo's chest and it starts taking the person's body crawling into the ceiling
for the first time. But then said J'avo start shooting me upside down using machine gun and I just went "Oh, FFS! There goes the creepiness and now you're just annoying".

As for camera, I dialed it down to 0 so I don't get too much of a headache. The aiming is dialed down to 3. It works for me.

Grisby

So can any costumes be used for the SP game or is it all mercs?

I'm a bit unclear on the whole unlocking stuff deal since there isn't any more points/cash

Dusk Golem

It's a shame that some of these fuckers wield weapons because it just makes them look ridiculous. I think it'd have been scarier if they just have other method of attacking. For example, I think my heart stopped a bit when I saw
Spider pops out of J'avo's chest and it starts taking the person's body crawling into the ceiling
for the first time. But then said J'avo start shooting me upside down using machine gun and I just went "Oh, FFS! There goes the creepiness and now you're just annoying".

Some of the later ones won't use guns or weapons
though I agree the spider one was disappointing
, and the Chrysalide don't.

So many black bars.

We're just talking about monsters is all.

So can any costumes be used for the SP game or is it all mercs?

I'm a bit unclear on the whole unlocking stuff deal since there isn't any more points/cash

I'm going to wait for RE.NET before I make a final judgement as I know you can buy costumes off that with points.

Neiteio

The Monsters in RE6 are all pretty interesting, I am happy sites and such have written articles about them and reviews mention it as the monsters really help make the game here.

Feel in a list-making mood, so these are what I recall monster-wise from the game, though probably missed a few:

General 'Monster' Types (monsters groupings that have multiple variations, like Villager Majini or Base Ganado):
-Zombie (Civilian Type)
-Zombie (Occupation Type, have special properties like a police officer, BSAA Soilder, or fireman)
-J'Avos (Mercenary Type)
-J'Avos (Base Type)

Other Monsters:
-Giant Zombies (the really fat things with a ton of health, pick you up, and charge)
-Crimson Zombies (zombies with more health, skinless, faster, and do more damage. Also leap alot)
-Screamer (a zombie who screams and stuns you, but rarely attacks directly and runs away until it recharges its scream)
-Flesh Ooze (reminiscent of the monsters in Revelations, except a lot jittery and regenerates. They cannot be killed and their limbs when disembodied gain minds of their own)
-Exploding Robots (they play a small part, but the robots that explode when they get near you)
-Fireflies (those flying flesh flies that alert other enemies when they spot you)
-Snow Mobile J'Avo (they ride snow mobiles while you're on foot, you can shoot and kill them and take their snow mobile if you wish)

J'Avo Mutations & Chrysalide Mutations (not including normal mutations like arms breaking into tentacles):
-J'Avos Chicken Men (the ones that have the big legs that look like chicken legs that can jump far distances and stomp on you)
-J'Avos Cockroach (like Spider J'Avos, but with a protective back shell, no arms, and acid)
-J'Avos Maggot (a giant maggot disected with human body parts that explode when forming)
-J'Avos Worm (a worm like thing that pops out of their head that spews web that hurts and traps the victim)
-J'Avos Prawn (a weird tail and claws grow out of their face and rips open their back. Makes the J'Avo run around wildly after you, swining around their weapon constantly)
-Chrysalide Catcher Flies (the ones that look like insectoid dragons that fly and grapple onto you)
-Chrysalide Needle Lizards (the lizards that run around quickly and shoot needles)
-Chrysalide Brutes (the giant enemies that have a lot of health, slow except when charging, and pack a powerful punch)
-Chrysalide Bee Swarm (A giant queen bee that is surrounded by a huge swarm of smaller bees that go out as a platoon to swarm you, but leaves the queen exposed in places)

Bosses *Spoilers*
-Giant Ogre Monsters
-Deborah (Spider Queen)
-Giant Shark
-Giant Invisible Snake
-Helicopter
-Majini Tank
-Simmons Dog Form
-Simmons Centaur Form
-Simmons Scorpion Form
-Simmons Dinosaur Form
-Simmons Colossus Form
-Chainsaw Chrysalide
-Carla
-Queen Chrysalide Form 1
-Queen Chrysalide Form 2

Awesome list. So do all of these have 3D figurines you can unlock in a model viewer?

Jubern

I'm really late on this, but I finally got to play the public demo. Game is pretty, but I just don't like the gameplay :/

-Zombie (Civilian Type)
-J'Avos (Mercenary Type)
-J'Avos (Base Type)

Other Monsters:

Bosses *Spoilers*
-Giant Ogre Monsters
-Deborah (Spider Queen)
-Giant Shark
-Giant Invisible Snake
-Helicopter
-Majini Tank
-Simmons Dog Form
-Simmons Centaur Form
-Simmons Scorpion Form
-Simmons Dinosaur Form
-Simmons Colossus Form
-Chainsaw Chrysalide
-Carla
-Queen Chrysalide Form 1
-Queen Chrysalide Form 2

Didnt read any of these, but gonna assume all those black bars are a good thing! Thats one thing I never liked about Re5. The lack of mutations. There are only like 3-4?

lantus

I'm really late on this, but I finally got to play the public demo. Game is pretty, but I just don't like the gameplay :/

Now that I look back, I didn't immediately like 4 or 5's gameplay either, it took me time to adjust to them again. So knowing that I'm going to give this game the benefit of the doubt for now.

Dusk Golem

Didnt read any of these, but gonna assume all those black bars are a good thing! Thats one thing I never liked about Re5. The lack of mutations. There are only like 3-4?

You're right, in Resident Evil 5 there were only three mutations for people to turn into.

You don't have to worry about that in this game, things are almost always mutating somehow, and there can even be combination mutating (so one enemy will undergo two or three other mutations for some weird hybrid). They're all quite varied and freaky looking, and then some of them turn into cocoons and other monsters burst out.

Even the bosses do a lot of mutating. Without spoilers, every single boss in this game has several forms.

Dusk Golem

Posted this also in the spoiler topic, but some here don't care for Mercenaries spoilers much. Sectus here on the forums hasn't posted it here yet either, which I thought was odd. He uploaded a video showing off weapons, melees, and ever character/costume on the disc in Resident Evil 6:

*WARNING: Mercenaries spoilers, and at least one character in Mercenaries is a plot spoiler*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UGY5OK6I

Beth Cyra

Posted this also in the spoiler topic, but some here don't care for Mercenaries spoilers much. Sectus here on the forums hasn't posted it here yet either, which I thought was odd. He uploaded a video showing off weapons, melees, and ever character/costume on the disc in Resident Evil 6:

*WARNING: Mercenaries spoilers, and at least one character in Mercenaries is a plot spoiler*

Chris and Jake are just fucking nasty with their melee set.

I don't know if they will be the best, but as far as looks go, they just look mean.

Truth!

RE5 played it so safe and took zero risks with very little creativity. RE6 is the complete opposite, and not knowing what to expect is fun!

Yeah, RE5 was just RE4 in Africa, and was of lower quality than its predecessor in nearly every way. This game might not be as good as RE4 either, but at least it stands on its own.

Is there a gun at the start of Leon's chapter 5? I found some ammo for a gun I don't have and I'm afraid I missed it. :(

Dusk Golem

Yeah, RE5 was just RE4 in Africa, and was of lower quality than its predecessor in nearly every way. This game might not be as good as RE4 either, but at least it stands on its own.

Is there a gun at the start of Leon's chapter 5? I found some ammo for a gun I don't have and I'm afraid I missed it. :(

I don't remember exactly, but might be. Pretty sure there is one gun hidden away somewhere in each chapter.

Leon ending spoiler:
Simmons getting impaled and his blood making the Umbrella logo
was awesome!

Anyway, doing Chris' campaign now. Halfway through chapter 2 and so far I think I like Leon's better.

FireVoa

Is it just me or do the costumes feel out of place for a lot of the characters? With Revelations they were few but appropriate per the characters, in this not so much.
Ex. Helena's schoolgirl.. cop outfit? or Leon's pirates outfit? Feels like something you'd seen in ORC and not a mainline RE game.

Dusk Golem

Is it just me or do the costumes feel out of place for a lot of the characters? With Revelations they were few but appropriate per the characters, in this not so much.
Ex. Helena's schoolgirl.. cop outfit? or Leon's pirates outfit? Feels like something you'd seen in ORC and not a mainline RE game.

They're more prop-type costumes as I like to call them... But I don't get what you're trying to say by saying it looks like something out of ORC? That game only had alternate colors for costumes.

Mr_Zombie

If those costumes are usable in the main game, it will be hilarious to see
pirate
Leon shooting president :lol

SkylineRKR

One thing RE5 had was that although it was a clear RE4 rip, the 'zombies' were very detailed and animated well. Although it was very canned, sometimes they would fly away after a lousy shot in the kneecaps.

But RE6 is miles better. Its bigger, has much better co-op and is much less annoying to play solo. Just to think of Sheva ruining ammo or kamikaze into a pack of Lickers... this never again. Leon campaign has some cheap shots, but it might also be my lack of skills which have improved a bit since then. There is nothing on the scale of Reapers + tank controls though.

The network implementation is great as well, some things Capcom added like the Agent Hunt, 4 player boss co-op and drop in drop out... it works.

And Helena, yeah, she has quite the rack and booty.

Leon ending spoiler:
Simmons getting impaled and his blood making the Umbrella logo
was awesome!

Anyway, doing Chris' campaign now. Halfway through chapter 2 and so far I think I like Leon's better.

Chris' campaign really starts to shine from the latter half of Chapter 2.

FireVoa

They're more prop-type costumes as I like to call them... But I don't get what you're trying to say by saying it looks like something out of ORC? That game only had alternate colors for costumes.

Meant design wise. The RE6 costumes look like something you'd see created for ORC if they didn't do a color swap.

hamchan

Hilarious extras like funny costumes are exactly what I'd expect from a mainline RE game since 4 and 5 had them.

FireVoa

Hilarious extras like funny costumes are exactly what I'd expect from a mainline RE game since 4 and 5 had them.

I'll just recount 4's since 5's I can't remember off by heart.

Leon had 2 RPD suit, and regular game suit.
Wesker had 1 and was normal.
Hunk had 1 and was normal.
Krauser had 1 and was normal.
Ada had 1 the pink dress.

The only silly one that I can think of was Leon's Chicago suit. Am I missing any for RE4?

Meant design wise. The RE6 costumes look like something you'd see created for ORC if they didn't do a color swap.

Ummm, capcom has always been crazy with costumes and non-game stuff.Leon mafia, tofu survivor, dino crisis suit for jill in re3, safari chris...

I see so many spoilers and youtube links, so temped to read and click all of them. Its gonna be a pain catching up on all these posts once I actually get and complete the game. Great news about all the costumes though. I've only seen one of Sherry's and it looks too good. I hope there are even more outfits released as dlc, I love me some alt outfits.

Played the public demo, I really dig it, much more nervous,than RE5, no more tank controls, it feels fluid, fast paced, very nice feeling, it also looks quite good visually but I cant help feeling that the PC version even it only comes out early 2013 will look 1000 times better, this is a game where I can tell that it needs that full HD rez, to be super crisp.

One thing that surprises me is how fucking dark the demo is, even with brightness setting to the top, I don't see shit a lot of the times, annoying, maybe that's the point but it's overdone.

Oh and Jake and Leon are Fuckin badass.

FireVoa

Ummm, capcom has always been crazy with costumes and non-game stuff.Leon mafia, tofu survivor, dino crisis suit for jill in re3, safari chris...

Gangster Leon is considered crazy? Dino Crisis suit is crazy? Man I guess a pirate and schoolgirl/cop are a bit too crazy for me then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'll just recount 4's since 5's I can't remember off by heart.

Leon had 2 RPD suit, and regular game suit.
Wesker had 1 and was normal.
Hunk had 1 and was normal.
Krauser had 1 and was normal.
Ada had 1 the pink dress.

The only silly one that I can think of was Leon's Chicago suit. Am I missing any for RE4?

Nah, RE4 was pretty normal. Only got weirder with the PS2 extras, like armor ashley and mob Leon. 5 had some really weird stuff with Safari Chris, Clubbing Sheva, and especially with the DLC which added Fairy Tale Sheva, Heavy Metal Chris, etc.

It'd be nice if RE6 had another costume people haven't seen yet, maybe through RE.net or whatever, since all the extras seem weird for right now. Something different like Tribal Sheva, which was one of my favorite characters, would especially be great.

Top Bottom