• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bladenic

Ok, most of the people who tried said the opposite of your quote. I'm not talking of simple quantity.

Well I mean, variety implies quantity not quality. So yeah, the game might have tons of different enemies, but they might all suck. Though I haven't seen anyone say that. But who knows, I'll reserve actual judgement until I'm playing the game for myself.

lantus

Without meaning to offend anyone, ignore those telling you RE6 is any good, they're either paid for, in denial, lying, RE zealots, or just have really bad taste in games, IMFO.

Opinion is subjective, just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people can't. Smh

Sojgat

Can you go into any more detail without using spoilers?

Things I didn't like (no spoilers):

- Camera is too close in tight areas and you fight lots of enemies at a time.

- It's easy to get caught from behind and every time you get grabbed it triggers a QTE.

- Too much combat is in tight quarters packed with a ton of enemies, with the camera spazzing out all the time, often when you quick shot an enemy coming behind you.

- onscreen prompts are ugly, too big, and constant.

- The game also constantly transitions into short cinematic scenes during gameplay. Typical stuff like something happens, camera cuts to show it, somebody says something, back to gameplay. Does this at least every 3 mins, sometimes multiple times a minute. This is mainly why there are 4 hrs of cutscenes.

- Story, dialogue and acting is truly awful in places even by RE standards.

- Like so many other modern games that people like to hate on, it's super linear and handholdy, while still being confusing and complicated in many instances, because it's not communicating well what it wants you to do.

- Some areas are ugly and rushed looking.

- The design of the set piece sequences (of which the game is an endless flow, if you like that sort of thing) is really bad in most cases, reminds me most of COD crossed with Asura's Wrath, but again, not as good.

- Objective indicator, Ui, HUD are all horrible and overly complicated (this is subjective I guess).

- hard to find a camera and aiming sensitivity I liked.

- hit detection on weapons fire seems bad sometimes, and some enemies don't show enough reaction to being hit.

- Tripping over corpses

- a lot of other stuff.

What I liked:

- Lighting is cool
- Some areas look really nice
- Combat could be quite good if it were not for all the other problems getting in the way.
- Varied and often amazing enemy design (though just as many of them are annoying)
- it would be good value if it wasn't so damn awful.
- it's not completely broken or unplayable.

demonkaze

Just had this delivered to me today and only in Leon Chapter 1 but I have a few questions.

Are the skill point drops shared between co-op players, i'm playing offline co-op with my brother and it would suck to have to take it in turns picking the drops up.

Also, is there any guides or lists around for the blue medallions yet, if not, is there any pointers for finding them as I have only found one despite looking pretty aggressively for them.

ended up ordering 360 version from amazon since its $50 effectively ($10 credit). wanted PC version, but 360 demo ran smooth with no tearing.

the playstation mag review (9/10) explained the issues I had - I didnt like the gun recoil but when you unlock the ability it applies to all characters, which is cool. I liked getting better with guns in ME1 as I put points into them, which is probably an uncommon preference (I love RPG's and RPG progression). that way I will likely be able to finish my least fave campaigns first to unlock good abilities for the "real" campaigns.

also I thought the demo levels werent too interesting looking vs RE5 and RE4 but the review explained how this game is HUGE (30 hrs minimum). so thats excusable.

As someone who has been a fan of RE earlier games, and who loves RPG elements like unlocking skills I think I will like this game. I get the impression that the shooter fans and non RE fans they are hoping to attract will not be interested in it. I also think this means many reviews will be really down on the game.

Ein Bear

Just finished the first Leon chapter, seriously awesome stuff, had massive RE2 vibes to it. I wish the whole game was Leon campaign :(

Quick question, but is there only one kind of each weapon in this one? So just the one handgun, one shotgun, etc? Just go lt to the 'shop' menu, and can only buy skills, instead of guns which is kind of a bummer.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I didn't love it (RE4 is one of my fav games though), Shiva AI sucked, QTE wesker fight sucked, co-op was a move in the wrong direction for me, but it's a masterpiece compared to RE6. Yes, I have only played Leon's campaign and half of Jake's, but I played Chris in the demo and that seemed the worst of all of them so I don't think it gets any better.

I see, that's a shame to hear =(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
? In what exactly? fps is better on 360...

It is and it isn't. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see that it does actually drop a bit lower on PS3. However, and this is the main issue, the 360 version has a very subtle framerate stability problem throughout most of the demo while the PS3 version, when not faced with slowdown inducing areas, runs more consistently.

Take the beginning of the demo, for instance, when walking up the stairs, down the hall, and into the classroom. On PS3, this section is 100% locked and synchronized 30 fps. It is completely even.

On 360, however, there is additional judder and subtle dips that occur the entire time you explore this area. Again, it's subtle, but it does produce a noticeably less smooth looking presentation than PS3.

Once the slowdown begins in both versions, the numbers both dip below 30 fps but stay above 20 which also results in judder. So it doesn't really look all that smooth at these points. It's a very weird problem and it seems more like a mistake with the way 360 handles the refresh rate. It's as if the game is locked at 29 fps on a 60 Hz display which introduces very slight judder artifacting.

The game feels even worse when you combine this with the lurching camera effect they use.

Just finished the first Leon chapter, seriously awesome stuff, had massive RE2 vibes to it. I wish the whole game was Leon campaign :(
To be fair, isn't each campaign longer than your average shooter? Like, just Leon's campaign is longer than any Call of Duty campaign, for instance.

Not that length makes up for shitty quality.

Quick question, but is there only one kind of each weapon in this one? So just the one handgun, one shotgun, etc? Just go lt to the 'shop' menu, and can only buy skills, instead of guns which is kind of a bummer.

I'm up to Leon Chapter 4, and I disagree. Chapter 1 was the weakest by far. It had the most QTE's and really felt like I was running down a long corridor with way too many scripted, forced sequences (being forced to walk during most of the beginning for example).

Later chapters have been much more fun with better enemies and sequences.

It is and it isn't. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see that it does actually drop a bit lower on PS3. However, and this is the main issue, the 360 version has a very subtle framerate stability problem throughout most of the demo while the PS3 version, when not faced with slowdown inducing areas, runs more consistently.

Take the beginning of the demo, for instance, when walking up the stairs, down the hall, and into the classroom. On PS3, this section is 100% locked and synchronized 30 fps. It is completely even.

On 360, however, there is additional judder and subtle dips that occur the entire time you explore this area. Again, it's subtle, but it does produce a noticeably less smooth looking presentation than PS3.

Once the slowdown begins in both versions, the numbers both dip below 30 fps but stay above 20 which also results in judder. So it doesn't really look all that smooth at these points. It's a very weird problem and it seems more like a mistake with the way 360 handles the refresh rate. It's as if the game is locked at 29 fps on a 60 Hz display which introduces very slight judder artifacting.

The game feels even worse when you combine this with the lurching camera effect they use.

To be fair, isn't each campaign longer than your average shooter? Like, just Leon's campaign is longer than any Call of Duty campaign, for instance.

Not that length makes up for shitty quality.

how is tearing on PS3? I was pleased I didnt notice any on 360 demo, I THOUGHT 360 build would be better than PS3

Gbraga

There's no reason for fighting over opinions, this will be a very polarizing game, one of those love it or hate it games. It did click for me with the demo, I love the gameplay there and played it several times already, but I understand people who hate it...

hamchan

I'm up to Leon Chapter 4, and I disagree. Chapter 1 was the weakest by far. It had the most QTE's and really felt like I was running down a long corridor with way too many scripted, forced sequences (being forced to walk during most of the beginning for example).

The first half of Leon's Chapter 1 was weak but the underground part was quite amazing.

xtianmarq

Can anyone with the retail version comment on whether the brightness adjustment menu in the game (by adjusting the number 6 against the background) actually works/is accurate? Demo looks pretty dark on my TV...just wondering if they fixed it.

dark10x

how is tearing on PS3? I was pleased I didnt notice any on 360 demo, I THOUGHT 360 build would be better than PS3
No tearing in either version.

I also suspected 360 superiority based on all previous MT Framework titles. Even the benchmarks seem to indicate that things would be slightly better on 360, but when playing both in person, that is not the case. I speak only of the demo, however.

Sojgat

Can anyone with the retail version comment on whether the brightness adjustment menu in the game (by adjusting the number 6 against the background) actually works/is accurate? Demo looks pretty dark on my TV...just wondering if they fixed it.

I don't feel it is. It tells you to adjust until the 6 is barely visible, do that and you won't see anything. 360 version on an LCD was set at 18, on a plasma 19 for me, you just have to judge it by eye for yourself. 360 version was slightly bright IMO, PS3 is said to be too dark.

omonimo

Banned

I'm not that sure what do you means but slowdown on ps3 sometimes are really crazy even 14 fps, on 360 is more stable. You can check on youtube site, ps360frame, there are a lot of analysis.

Ein Bear

Well if it just gets better and better then I'm pretty happy :p

Still kinda concerned by how the Chris and Jake campaigns will turn out, but really glad Leon's delivering the goods like he always does.

Sorry if asked before. Pre-ordered the 360 version ( thought Framework engine worked out great for Resi 5, so... ) but now the game ships on 2 discs. Do I have to swap constantly if I wanna switch campaigns? If so, I'm gonna buy it for PS3

Pooya

Sorry if asked before. Pre-ordered the 360 version ( thought Framework engine worked out great for Resi 5, so... ) but now the game ships on 2 discs. Do I have to swap constantly if I wanna switch campaigns? If so, I'm gonna buy it for PS3

the game is one disc, 2nd disc is only extra language pack you install to HDD if you want. if you play in English you won't need the 2nd disc at all.

Sectus

Second disc is only for installing support for more languages. You never have to swap discs.

Sojgat

No, second disk is an install pack for other languages. If you speak english you won't need it.

the game is one disc, 2nd disc is only extra language pack you install to HDD if you want. if you play in English you won't need the 2nd disc at all.

Second disc is only for installing support for more languages. You never have to swap discs.

No, second disk is an install pack for other languages. If you speak english you won't need it.

Thanks guys :D
360 it is then.

No tearing in either version.

I also suspected 360 superiority based on all previous MT Framework titles. Even the benchmarks seem to indicate that things would be slightly better on 360, but when playing both in person, that is not the case. I speak only of the demo, however.

are you picking up the game on console or waiting for PC?

man its hard to decide, I am scared of using my PS3 since its a BC launch unit and as I understand it you cant cheaply pick up a new PS3 with full BC (with upscaling)

its nice to not be tempted by a CE - surprised they didn't do something special considering the years of development and huge campaigns. I already played all the prior games, so the anthology is useless IMO. steelbook, nice artbook and I would have bought a CE - its nice NOT to be tempted as house is too full of junk as it is LOL

Replicant

1. Calibrate your TV properly. My LCD is calibrated properly and I never have a single instance where I can't see in the darkness. It's still dark but I can still see things.
2. Set your PS3 Full RGB values to limited instead of full. Setting it to full will crush blacks.

Anyway, I decided to repeat it from the beginning (Leon's campaign) because I think I fucked up way too much. This is the annoying thing about the game, if you fucked up too much, you'll be left with no ammo or no health very quickly. I suppose it's to encourage you to get better but often times, you'll get injured for no mistake of your own. There are enemies literally jumping off-screen to bite you and unless you've been through that area, you wouldn't know there is an enemy there.

Another thing, there will be random object collision which can HALFED your life or even reduce it to 1 bar, which is fucking ridiculous. Again, unless you've been there, you wouldn't know of such quicktime moments where you have to use evade (sliding sideways). So in the end, I end up reloading and reloading parts that I felt unsuccessful until I get optimum amount of health and ammo. In the process, I do get better but it's frustrating to be constantly get caught by these jumpers and random object collisions.

H13

Preloading my RE6 , install already, and i need to wait till oct 2??
Its looking at at me on the main menuuuu

dark10x

I'm not that sure what do you means but slowdown on ps3 sometimes are really crazy even 14 fps, on 360 is more stable. You can check on youtube site, ps360frame, there are a lot of analysis.
I've viewed those but my eyes are more accurate at determining what is or is not a problem.

360 does not dip as low, but it is not more stable in that there is constant very subtle framerate dips while the PS3 version only dips in busy areas. It's bad on both versions, however.

I've viewed those but my eyes are more accurate at determining what is or is not a problem.

360 does not dip as low, but it is not more stable in that there is constant very subtle framerate dips while the PS3 version only dips in busy areas. It's bad on both versions, however.

how are texture quality and pop-in?

demonkaze

Just had this delivered to me today and only in Leon Chapter 1 but I have a few questions.

Are the skill point drops shared between co-op players, i'm playing offline co-op with my brother and it would suck to have to take it in turns picking the drops up.

Also, is there any guides or lists around for the blue medallions yet, if not, is there any pointers for finding them as I have only found one despite looking pretty aggressively for them.

Just wondering if anyone had any answers on these?

Nemesis_

This game is actually fantastic. I think people who think this game is worthy of a 5 or below is just deluded to be quite frank and has probably already made their minds up based on the demo (which is a gross misrepresentation of the final product.)

I've been playing for about 17 hours. I've done three Leon, two Jake, two Chris all up when it comes to the campaign. Professional mode.

I'll start with the negatives - because yes, there are some.
  • - There are a lot of areas where you have to HOLD OFF ENEMIES or SURVIVE. It's okay, but they do get a little bit plentiful.
  • - There can be a distinct lack of ammo if you don't utilise melee properly.
  • - Prologue/Prelude is awful and almost puts you off the rest of the game
  • - QTEs are not abundant but are somewhat regular - though manageable
  • - The story can be hard to follow if you don't play chronologically
  • - Some of the "twists" get pretty obvious pretty early on

I am having an absolute blast with this game though. It's just fantastic - the variety is there with many different enemies (all of which are unique and not just swaps or whatever) and the gameplay is just so fun and dynamic.

Leon's campaign is riddled with references to RE1, RE2 and RE4 as far as I can tell, and seeing so many of these references is really cool. They are small, they are multiple, and they don't add anything per se but they seem to be cool ways to "reward" fans. Zombies in particular, although not as aggressive as the J'avo, are quite a challenge and the developers have done a great job in making them threatening without being too overtly boring. Yes, there will be your odd zombie with a gun (ie. a civilian or cop who has been infected) but their direction of fire will be scattered as they have (by definition) lost their fine coordination.

Environments in particular feel VERY Resident Evil-ish. You will visit quite a few in Leon's campaign as well as solve some (very basic) puzzles too. They got the "feel" down pact. It was fantastic to be able to run through the streets of Tall Oak as well. Gives you some really good opportunities to feel nostalgic for the older games in the series.

Boss battles in Leon's campaign thus far are scattered but quite unique. I am very impressed with Leon's campaign especially considering how fucking slow it opened.

Chris's campaign is easily the worst thus far - there's no real formula to it besides proceeding to areas, shooting shit, and then defeating a boss or something. Some of the coolest cutscenes have been in Chris' campaign thus far, but other than that it's quite boring. I do enjoy seeing Chris interact with characters who he hasn't interacted with before in the franchise though - but I guess that's me talking as an RE fan.

There was one environment thus far in Chris' campaign that was VERY creepy. I am hoping as I play on there will be more but Leon thus far easily takes that award home.

The fast paced nature of Chris' campaign is remedied by providing the player with J'avo (who can handle guns and are more coordinated) as well as the ability for them to mutate their limbs (or even enter chrysalide). This, as I previously mentioned, provides a dynamic nature to the battles that you wouldn't have seen in any previous Resident Evil game.

Chris' campaign can be the worst though - Chris seems to be bigger than other characters so he obscures the view quite a bit. During his indoor levels, this is particularly problematic as the camera combines with this obscured view to provide a frustrating experience. It's by no means BROKEN nor is it the WORST GAME EVER (wtf) so I wouldn't cry too much about it. But yeah, Chris' campaign is a little bit, errr, too action packed. It also seems that the ammo thing is a problem here too - but since enemies use guns it's hard to utilise melee as well, so it feels a bit unbalanced in that regard.

Jake's campaign easily features the best character interactions (Jake is a charmer and Sherry is quite stern but has a sense of humour) and his scenarios are quite cool, there are some very cool stealth segments included here too, and they seriously were so manageable I was so thankful for this. I like the idea that Jake's campaign lets the developers play around with some less often used elements of gameplay - like stealth or using almost acrobatic methods to traverse the environments.

Jake's unique ability, the hand to hand combat, is actually pretty useful if used / chained properly so I look forward to spending more time with that.

That's my two cents for now, any questions I am happy to answer (though I realise there are others in the thread too).

I cannot STRESS how much better the game is by jumping between chapters to play chronologically

I have included the proper order from Dusk Golem in the OP.

I tested this out with Phonomezer last night.

- Skill points are awarded to players who kill enemies. So if I were to kill someone, Phonomezer could not collect those skill points.
- Skill points that are found in boxes or chests are able to be picked up by both players once.

OH, I just saw you're playing offline. Not sure how it works then =/ Maybe it's the same? Are you both playing on your own profiles? It probably works the same way.

In regards to the Serpent Medallions - the guidebook is out today or tomorrow, you'll probably get a guide then.

Replicant

I cannot STRESS how much better the game is by jumping between chapters to play chronologically

Is that really chronological order though? Chris Chapter 1 actually takes place in 2013 whereas the sequence of events started off in 2012.

Anyway, just finished Leon's chapter 1. The end of that chapter was insane. You really feel the zombie outbreak like no RE games ever managed to capture. In a way, the ending reminds me a lot of "Dawn of the Dead" movie.

Nemesis_

Is that really chronological order though? Chris Chapter 1 actually takes place in 2013 whereas the sequence of events started off in 2012.

Anyway, just finished Leon's chapter 1. The end of that chapter was insane. You really feel the zombie outbreak like no RE games ever managed to capture. In a way, the ending reminds me a lot of "Dawn of the Dead" movie.

The problem is that we can't just skip to Chris Chapter 2 =P Which we should really be playing first.

Playing through Jake III right now. Love the way they've somehow paid homage to Mirror's Edge lol

Bladenic

Hmm now I don't know if I wanna do the chronological thing right away or just play each character's campaign. I do like the idea of always switching the characters so it will be more varied. Dunno if I wanna play co-op or solo first time through either. Ugh decisions.

Nemesis_

The story threads make no sense if you play them separately to be quite honest.

But each to their own I guess. I just can't imagine what it would be like playing what is essentially the FINAL boss first.

It feels like a more "cohesive" movie this way anyway. I also like to pretend I'm playing a souped up Code Veronic with the random changes. I also find if I am forced to leave a chapter on a twist-like ending, then there is more desire to return to it.

Leon's campaign, for example, is just too monotonous simply BY ITSELF. Especially since the enemies are mostly zombies.

News Bot

Banned
The files in Ada's campaign are making me appreciate the story a lot more. I have spotted a few things that look like they are series trademark localization fuck-ups though, such as calling the Plaga a virus. I imagine the Japanese files will clarify things even more, but getting transcripts of those will likely take even longer.

Nemesis_

I cannot fucking wait to play Ada's.

Especially if that's where the bulk of the story / revelations / clues / whatever is.

;_;

Replicant

I wish they just do what SIREN: Blood Curse did and that is for the game to alternate between characters in chronological order so we get an idea of what happened to whom and why we end up where we are, etc.

Top Bottom