• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

randomwab

The problem is that we can't just skip to Chris Chapter 2 =P Which we should really be playing first.

Playing through Jake III right now. Love the way they've somehow paid homage to Mirror's Edge lol

It's like you want me to play this game. I won't be fooled by you, Nemesis.

Replicant

This chapter thing is confusing me. How do you know when your supposed to switch campaigns to follow the story chronologically??

You don't actually know, until you've played the first few chapters of each characters. Once you do, the cut scenes get saved into cut scenes viewer, which details the events in Chronological order. The sequence starts in 2012 and it's Chris' and Jake's events. Leon's story doesn't actually starts until 2013.

Bladenic

So annoying that they did not simply combine the events of the three campaigns into one giant campaign of ~20 hours (or longer, actually, if each campaign is ~8+ hours). That way, you wouldn't be require to have to play chronologically, it would just happen.

Replicant

So annoying that they did not simply combine the events of the three campaigns into one giant campaign of ~20 hours (or longer, actually, if each campaign is ~8+ hours). That way, you wouldn't be require to have to play chronologically, it would just happen.

It's because of the multiplayer. If they had done in chronological order, players can't drop in and drop out based on characters/chapters as easily. This way they make it easier for players to drop in/drop out based on the characters/chapters.

Also FML, in the franticness of Leon's last half of Chapter 1, I think I may have missed out a few emblems. I really don't feel like replaying those areas just for the emblems. :/

Bladenic

It's because of the multiplayer. If they had done in chronological order, players can't drop in and drop out based on characters/chapters as easily. This way they make it easier for players to drop in/drop out based on the characters/chapters.

True. In that case they could have still made the option for the main campaign which would be the combination of all 3 characters for solo play only, while leaving the option of each individual campaign having both solo and multi options.

Regardless, they could have included both options. Oh well, it's not that big a deal, and the Cutscene viewer is listed chronologically so that's something.

Nemesis_

It's like you want me to play this game. I won't be fooled by you, Nemesis.

I think I'm having more fun with this than I did RE5.

And I was one of those people who was absolutely FRIGHTENED by the public demo.

Although all my fretting was in private

Replicant

True. In that case they could have still made the option for the main campaign which would be the combination of all 3 characters for solo play only, while leaving the option of each individual campaign having both solo and multi options.

Regardless, they could have included both options. Oh well, it's not that big a deal, and the Cutscene viewer is listed chronologically so that's something.

Knowing Capcom, they'd release "Chronological Edition" a few months later with all the DLCs and the combined storyline.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just had this delivered to me today and only in Leon Chapter 1 but I have a few questions.

Are the skill point drops shared between co-op players, i'm playing offline co-op with my brother and it would suck to have to take it in turns picking the drops up.

Also, is there any guides or lists around for the blue medallions yet, if not, is there any pointers for finding them as I have only found one despite looking pretty aggressively for them.

Skill Points and all items are shared between co-op partners... Well not directly shared, but you both can pick it up. You picking something up won't stop them from them picking it up. I realized this in the demo when in Jake's campaign my friend said he took all the loot from the briefcase, but it was still all there on my screen.

And not yet unfortunately. Blue Medallions will be tricky as there's 100+ of the things to find.

Just finished the first Leon chapter, seriously awesome stuff, had massive RE2 vibes to it. I wish the whole game was Leon campaign :(

Quick question, but is there only one kind of each weapon in this one? So just the one handgun, one shotgun, etc? Just go lt to the 'shop' menu, and can only buy skills, instead of guns which is kind of a bummer.

Unfortunately one type of gun per campaign. They have different types on different campaigns, but the guns aren't interchangeable between campaigns as of now.

I'm up to Leon Chapter 4, and I disagree. Chapter 1 was the weakest by far. It had the most QTE's and really felt like I was running down a long corridor with way too many scripted, forced sequences (being forced to walk during most of the beginning for example).

Later chapters have been much more fun with better enemies and sequences.

However, if he had a good time with chapter 1 that is speaking well of his enjoyment of what is to come.

There's no reason for fighting over opinions, this will be a very polarizing game, one of those love it or hate it games. It did click for me with the demo, I love the gameplay there and played it several times already, but I understand people who hate it...

I'm about in the same boat, and will repeat this game is going to, among gamers and critics, polarize. I think it's good to respect and understand the other side of the fence, and calling out other people who like it/dislike it is is just silly.

There is zero tearing in either version of the game.

I wasn't going to say anything as I am usually immune to screen tearing (though I did notice it in the RE6 demo), but I can say owning the 360 version of the game I didn't notice tearing while playing the released game, so it at least is substantially better than the demo.

Question, why are there no agent hunt videos yet? I thought that was a mode in the disc? Or is it because there's no online yet?

You unlock the mode after beating one campaign, and I am guessing like me most are waiting for friends to play the mode with. It is a multiplayer-centric mode.

I'll start with the negatives - because yes, there are some.
  • - There are a lot of areas where you have to HOLD OFF ENEMIES or SURVIVE. It's okay, but they do get a little bit plentiful.
  • - There can be a distinct lack of ammo if you don't utilise melee properly.
  • - Prologue/Prelude is awful and almost puts you off the rest of the game
  • - QTEs are not abundant but are somewhat regular - though manageable
  • - The story can be hard to follow if you don't play chronologically
  • - Some of the "twists" get pretty obvious pretty early on

I am having an absolute blast with this game though. It's just fantastic - the variety is there with many different enemies (all of which are unique and not just swaps or whatever) and the gameplay is just so fun and dynamic.

(...)

That's my two cents for now, any questions I am happy to answer (though I realise there are others in the thread too).

I cannot STRESS how much better the game is by jumping between chapters to play chronologically

I have included the proper order from Dusk Golem in the OP.

Great impressions, but I should mention that I think people who dislike it have just as valid reasons too. Similar to how I think it's distasteful to mark off peoples good impressions of the game, I think it is just as much so to mark off peoples bad impressions of the game. While I'm personally on the side that really enjoys it, I think this is both a good and bad game, it's got certain qualities that make it an incredibly unique and amazing game, and other qualities that make it a copycat and terrible game. Different people look for different things, and with a game like this I believe will feel differently. I enjoyed it thoroughly but could understand why someone else would not, and as well could understand why others like everything about the game.

These two cons:
"- There are a lot of areas where you have to HOLD OFF ENEMIES or SURVIVE. It's okay, but they do get a little bit plentiful."
"[*]- Prologue/Prelude is awful and almost puts you off the rest of the game"

I agree with. I think the prelude is rather bad myself, it is essentially a long QTE sequence that is almost Michael Bay-ish and is a really poor way to start the game and gives the complete wrong impression. Someone who knows nothing about the game could be seriously turned-off if they think the whole game is going to be like that. And the game, especially in the first few chapters of each campaign, have quite a few timed enemy bouts.

Also happy you are enjoying the chronological route. I think that route will be best for story goers as while a few of the chapters happen at the same time I did pay careful attention to what chapters would spoil elements before they should be known more than others, as well as taking a few gameplay things into mind.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've decided to replay some of the classic RE games this weekend in preparation for RE6. Even if RE6 ends up sucking, I want to remember why I loved the series to begin with.

Almost done with RE "director's cut". Still a fun game, and I've gotten used to the controls again over time. Not using any guides or anything, just me and the controller.

Can't wait to start RE2 after this. That was the game that defined me as a person I think, because when I was 13 and played Resident Evil 2 for the first time, it was the first game like that I had ever played. Shortly after, I watched the original Dawn of the Dead and it's still one of my favorite movies.

Nemesis_

Jake III is trying my patience right now ;_; And it's so late already ;_;

(Also, how cool is it that the second characters all get their own unique kind of "routes" through the levels. The replay value is through the roof with this one)

So how do weapon load outs work? Do I choose before each chapter or what?

Also, is your inventory consistent between chapters ala RE4&5? Or do you get new weapons for each chapter?

Dusk Golem

Is that really chronological order though? Chris Chapter 1 actually takes place in 2013 whereas the sequence of events started off in 2012.

Anyway, just finished Leon's chapter 1. The end of that chapter was insane. You really feel the zombie outbreak like no RE games ever managed to capture. In a way, the ending reminds me a lot of "Dawn of the Dead" movie.

This was something I was considering for a while, but I believe Chris's campaign should start first. I think out of all three campaigns, his first chapter has the most 'introductory' feeling to it, and leads in nicely to his second chapter. I think of Chris's first chapter, like the prelude, to be a light of things to come.

Hmm now I don't know if I wanna do the chronological thing right away or just play each character's campaign. I do like the idea of always switching the characters so it will be more varied. Dunno if I wanna play co-op or solo first time through either. Ugh decisions.

Decisions, decisions~

But it just depends what you feel like. How I feel is that with going straight-through a campaign you get to see it evolve over time amongst the characters own plot lines and makes each campaign feel like a more self-contained experience, while switching out between them (which I have now had confirmation from people is in fact possible, for a bit some were telling me that you can't, but turns out you can if you just exit at the character select screen and choose a different campaign) gives the game a more cohesive and varied feel. The one somewhat downside is that I think a lot of the stronger chapters in the game are later into the game so it would take longer to get to them, but maybe it's not as I feared as I have heard people who decided to take my path say they're really enjoying it. Which makes me happy as I took both story and gameplay into consideration when thinking about it.

This chapter thing is confusing me. How do you know when your supposed to switch campaigns to follow the story chronologically??

The game lets you play any campaign in any order, I just put together a list after completing and reflecting on it what I thought would be the be the best route through the game for those who wanted it to go more in order of story.

The ordering in question is:
Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

I could note why I think that's the best order chronologically, but that'd be a bit spoilerish to explain.

You don't actually know, until you've played the first few chapters of each characters. Once you do, the cut scenes get saved into cut scenes viewer, which details the events in Chronological order. The sequence starts in 2012 and it's Chris' and Jake's events. Leon's story doesn't actually starts until 2013.

To be honest I didn't realize this while writing the list, but the list still stands as I had already known a few things while writing it. One problem is that several of the chapters happen at the exact same time, in which cases I thought about what would be the order that would least spoil another characters route ahead of time, which start first and end latter, and what makes sense the most from a gameplay perspective.

Jake III is trying my patience right now ;_; And it's so late already ;_;

(Also, how cool is it that the second characters all get their own unique kind of "routes" through the levels. The replay value is through the roof with this one)

The
Chinese Mansion
part can take a while the first time, though I actually do like the chapter. It also has an interesting start and ending. The next chapter is going to be straight-up action in his campaign.

Neiteio

Played the demo a third time and wow, I'm loving this game now. I started sliding on the ground (run and then hit the aim button) and fired my gun at enemies while sliding. The sliding can trip up enemies, too, and you can slide straight into cover during firefights. And then meleeing while running to do a shoulder check, or making liberal use of the roll when on your back on the ground to circle around a slow enemy. I figured out you have to add the health-replenishing pills to your case in order to use them; you can't simply mix them on your inventory and use them there. Figuring out the finer details really makes this game's mechanics sing.

I also feel comfortable with the camera now (dialed it down to 2, with aiming at 7) and the objective marker has grown on me as useful rather than distracting. I don't mind the HUD, either; I've come to appreciate how it elegantly visualizes your ammo down to the exact number of bullets remaining, as well as your segmented health bar. I also like how melee is still context-sensitive but has its own dedicated button for use even without flinching enemies first (though flinching them/approaching them from different angles changes up the melee). Governing the melee with a stamina bar is also a great balancing mechanic; you can't just kick your way through the whole adventure. You have to mix things up. :)

I'm totally ready for the full game now, and I plan to play it in the order Dusk Golem recommended. I've peeked at a number of spoilers, so I can broadly see how the back and forth and buildup to the grand finale works best following that order. Makes one think it would've been more elegant of Capcom to just structure the story like Revelations, jumping back and forth between characters at scripted points in the story, but I guess they really wanted the "three campaigns (actually four)" as a bullet point on the back of the box.

EDIT: I wanted to add I -increase- the in-game brightness to 30 (up from the default 20). This works really well, giving it the same balance of color contrast and clarity seen in pre-release media. Also, you can invert the camera and aiming, if you wish, and I recommend switching the aiming style from crosshairs to laser sight.

Nemesis_

I absolutely love the locales in this. So many of them evoke the same feelings you got when you explored classic Resident Evil stages.

vague location name spoilers
Town Hall, Chinese Mansion, Cathedral (and other "areas" related to it), Graveyard etc.

So great. This game is really exceeding my expectations (I was seriously worried, can't believe I was though.)

I did enjoy the rather weird and out of place intro to Jake III though, you're right.

I might try to finish this tonight and take a break. I have like, a few select people who I like co-oping with so I don't want to jump too far ahead (and I suppose replaying for medallions and points is a good thing anyway)

Alfredo

Playing through the demo a couple of times and getting used to the controls, I think this game is fun. But it doesn't seem like 60-dollars fun. More like 20-dollars fun.

Still unsure if I'm gonna get this at launch. Do I really want to contribute to this direction of Resident Evil?

Ninjimbo

If I had a positive opinion on the demo, will I like the game? What I liked about it was that I felt like I had a ton of combat options at any given time and it was just plain fun to melee the shit out of monsters. It seems like I'll like the game, but the negative comments are making me apprehensive towards a purchase.

News Bot

Banned
If I had a positive opinion on the demo, will I like the game? What I liked about it was that I felt like I had a ton of combat options at any given time and it was just plain fun to melee the shit out of monsters. It seems like I'll like the game, but the negative comments are making me apprehensive towards a purchase.

If you had a positive opinion of the demo, then yes. You'll like the game.

You shouldn't let negative comments put you off anything unless they are the overwhelming majority opinion (such as in the case of Operation Raccoon City).

Nemesis_

The "dynamic" and "varied" combat system remains.

You should like this.

Just got the game.
Question: Is it OK to play the game online before 02/10? The salesman warned me about the case of the copies that were stolen in Europe, saying that Capcom is banning accounts.

Nemesis_

Okay, so I just had a look through the cutscenes and compared it to Dusk Golem's chapter listing.

If anyone doubts it - it's pretty much 100% correct. Dusk's rationale for using Chris' future chapter as a beginning point is pretty much perfect to. (I mean, it kind of fits the classic movie opening scene - something that is in the near future and is thus foreshadowing, but also something that introduces the problem of the narrative through something as simple as rescuing hostages).

Bed time now though, I've had WAY too much RE6. ;_;

My least favourite enemi are the Strelats. They seem to be able to move so much damage quickly AND they remind me of necromorphs lol.

I love the whole Chrysalide mechanic too - yeah it's annoying but it also gives you these OH SHIT moments during your more intense battles.

Cool I'm gonna play this in order. I am happy that Leon's is last because I'd have something to look forward to while slugging through as Chris.

Great impressions, but I should mention that I think people who dislike it have just as valid reasons too. Similar to how I think it's distasteful to mark off peoples good impressions of the game, I think it is just as much so to mark off peoples bad impressions of the game. While I'm personally on the side that really enjoys it, I think this is both a good and bad game, it's got certain qualities that make it an incredibly unique and amazing game, and other qualities that make it a copycat and terrible game. Different people look for different things, and with a game like this I believe will feel differently. I enjoyed it thoroughly but could understand why someone else would not, and as well could understand why others like everything about the game.

Very well said.

Dusk Golem

Review from that one Arabic site that never makes sense in the English version of the site.

http://golden4games.com/en/report/review/38397-resident-evil-6-40.html

They give it a 9.5/10 though.

Just got the game.
Question: Is it OK to play the game online before 02/10? The salesman warned me about the case of the copies that were stolen in Europe, saying that Capcom is banning accounts.

You'll be fine. You got the game legitimately and already a ton of other people are playing.

Any livestreams around today?

None that I know of yet, but will post one if I become aware of one.

Okay, so I just had a look through the cutscenes and compared it to Dusk Golem's chapter listing.

If anyone doubts it - it's pretty much 100% correct. Dusk's rationale for using Chris' future chapter as a beginning point is pretty much perfect to. (I mean, it kind of fits the classic movie opening scene - something that is in the near future and is thus foreshadowing, but also something that introduces the problem of the narrative through something as simple as rescuing hostages).

Bed time now though, I've had WAY too much RE6. ;_;

Happy it does, but I was pretty certain as once you've been through everything it does piece together, also thanks to the crossover events and the like. The trickiest part was the next few chapters though, as Chris 3 & 4, Jake 4, and Leon 4 almost all take place around the same time. Think the order I put it in makes the most sense though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you had a positive opinion of the demo, then yes. You'll like the game.

You shouldn't let negative comments put you off anything unless they are the overwhelming majority opinion (such as in the case of Operation Raccoon City).

Complete nonsense. If a negative comment is specifically about an aspect of the game that is important to the reader, the reader would be wise to consider it.

Example
Negative comment: "RE6 has some issues with its camera."
Reader who is very sensitive to camera issues: "Oh, that's good to know. That might be something about this game that really bothers me. Maybe I shouldn't buy it."

Same goes for positive comments: "If you are interested in third person combat with a unique blend of ranged and melee options, RE6 has a lot to offer, despite its many other problems."
Reader who cares a lot about combat options: "It sounds like I should definitely try this game out, even though some parts of it aren't great."

News Bot

Banned
Complete nonsense. If a negative comment is specifically about an aspect of the game that is important to the reader, the reader would be wise to consider it.

Example
Negative comment: "RE6 has some issues with its camera."
Reader who is very sensitive to camera issues: "Oh, that's good to know. That might be something about this game that really bothers me. Maybe I shouldn't buy it."

Same goes for positive comments: "If you are interested in third person combat with a unique blend of ranged and melee options, RE6 has a lot to offer, despite its many other problems."
Reader who cares a lot about combat options: "It sounds like I should definitely try this game out, even though some parts of it aren't great."

Well yes, I didn't say otherwise. Just speaking generally. If the negative comments are as precise and thought-out as Sojgat's, then yeah, they should be ignored. But it's a different story if it pertains to particular elements.

You have a Syndicate avatar. Your argument is invalid.

i1pgiAho0IlWJ.gif

Sojgat

You have a Syndicate avatar. Your argument is invalid.

Well you think that's funny, I started playing Chris's Campaign and... why is only his camera fixed? It's zoomed out to an appropriate level throughout (on 2nd chapter now), and it looks really good. Not only that, but everything is way less janky than the other 2 campaigns (even the execution/target zone on the melee prompts seems more forgiving). Cutscenes are way better too.

Were these entire campaigns each made by different teams? It's the most shootbang of the lot, but I think it's the best so far. It doesn't excuse the rest of the game (how people liked any of Leon's campaign is still beyond me), but I'm actually enjoying it. I hate myself now, attack me.

MechaX

Reading Nemesis's impressions kinda warmed me up to the game after the public demo seriously put me off. I already know about the major story stuff (lol RE story), so I would be more concerned with how fun certain segments of the game are. At the very least, I could probably handle the game if it was more along the line of "Leon's segment is good, Jake's is okay, Chris's is dogshit."

But how is the mercenaries mode this time around? I felt like Mercs was the strongest point of RE5.

Top Bottom