• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bladenic

Briefly skimming through this thread i see it has become an open spoiler discussion. Great job guys.

This. I need to bail.

Also yeah the game was developed by seemingly 3 different teams for each campaign. Given the scope and content it makes sense but I'd hope there was some crossover or at least some communication between the 3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well you think that's funny, I started playing Chris's Campaign and... why is only his camera fixed? It's zoomed out to an appropriate level throughout (on 2nd chapter now), and it looks really good. Not only that, but everything is way less janky than the other 2 campaigns (even the execution/target zone on the melee prompts seems more forgiving). Cutscenes are way better too.

Were these entire campaigns each made by different teams? It's the most shootbang of the lot, but I think it's the best so far. It doesn't excuse the rest of the game (how people liked any of Leon's campaign is still beyond me), but I'm actually enjoying it. I hate myself now, attack me.

The camera changes a lot. It did this in RE4 as well...don't remember if 5 did.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Briefly skimming through this thread i see it has become an open spoiler discussion. Great job guys.

Why do you say that? I haven't noticed anyone mention any particular spoilers without spoiler marking them? The only thing I can think of is a few people naming off what are some early game locations without any details about them.

Dusk Golem

Any special unlockable guns or infinite ammo after completing campaign?

Infinite Ammo is unlocked from the beginning and can be turned on or off when making a game.

However, that doesn't mean you HAVE infinite ammo when starting the game. You need to purchase the skills for infinite ammo for certain type of guns. You can equip a skill to have infinite ammo with handguns, shotguns, etc. But that will only be available in games that have infinite ammo turned on.

The_Monk

My fellow GAFfers, this game just got pre-ordered. I hope the lenght is good and co-op is fun.

I would love to get the DLC Maps but the retailer is not even sure about the Steelbook (which is the reason for a Day one for me).

Can't wait! Shame that my October is going to be way busy for me...

Having now finished Leon's campaign and half of Chris's, I will say that we are at a point now where we literally have no idea how a new Resident Evil game will play. RE4 is different from RE5, and now, RE6 is yet another twist to the formula. Revelations was wildly different too. Who knows what we will get in the next one.

This game feels like they tried to appease everyone, but by doing so, failed to find a unified direction. Instead, it's a mishmash of everything from the entire series into one. While I am enjoying it as a longtime fan, I fully expect it to be critically panned... and end up being the worst of the post-RE4 games.

def sim

ah nuts

F75Xd.jpg

i need to go cancel my pre-order online now

Sojgat

The camera changes a lot. It did this in RE4 as well...don't remember if 5 did.

Leon's camera changes constantly (and he force walks a lot), but it's usually quite close and you cant see below his waist. Playing through the
cemetery was painful (open graves c'mon)
. Chris's camera doesn't seem to vary much and it handles combat in tight corridors much better than the others (haven't played Ada yet). Standing view it cut's off about half way up his thigh and has a much wider feild of view.

This. I need to bail.

Also yeah the game was developed by seemingly 3 different teams for each campaign. Given the scope and content it makes sense but I'd hope there was some crossover or at least some communication between the 3.

Amazing, it really shows. I guess the team working on Chris's campaign were the only ones who took any of the criticism on-board and actually did some fine tuning. All of my earlier criticisms still apply, just not to Chris's campaign. It's almost like playing a different game IMO. I guess I was wrong all along, Chris really is better than Leon.

Yes, I have only played Leon's campaign and half of Jake's, but I played Chris in the demo and that seemed the worst of all of them so I don't think it gets any better.

Fuck.

Well you think that's funny, I started playing Chris's Campaign and... why is only his camera fixed? It's zoomed out to an appropriate level throughout (on 2nd chapter now), and it looks really good. Not only that, but everything is way less janky than the other 2 campaigns (even the execution/target zone on the melee prompts seems more forgiving). Cutscenes are way better too.

Were these entire campaigns each made by different teams? It's the most shootbang of the lot, but I think it's the best so far. It doesn't excuse the rest of the game (how people liked any of Leon's campaign is still beyond me), but I'm actually enjoying it. I hate myself now, attack me.

so it seems that capcom wasn't wong, it really tries to cater many people with different styles. Some people will like one of the campaigns best, and maybe get to even despise some of the others.

It still seems like a great value game.

Dusk Golem

Having now finished Leon's campaign and half of Chris's, I will say that we are at a point now where we literally have no idea how a new Resident Evil game will play. RE4 is different from RE5, and now, RE6 is yet another twist to the formula. Revelations was wildly different too. Who knows what we will get in the next one.

This game feels like they tried to appease everyone, but by doing so, failed to find a unified direction. Instead, it's a mishmash of everything from the entire series into one. While I am enjoying it as a longtime fan, I fully expect it to be critically panned... and end up being the worst of the post-RE4 games.

I actually don't think it will be. Critically, probably (well, it'll be above Operation Raccoon City, maybe above Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles). But among fans I think the game will be split, but in the end be regarded as better than RE5 by most. I agree with the mishmash, but the more I've played it the more everything has felt coherent rather than the opposite which I thought might happen. With that, I believe the highs of RE6 are better than RE5's highs, and its stronger horror and action elements as well as variety keep it above RE5. I can say I've enjoyed the horror sections and the action sections of RE6 far more than that of RE5, and this is coming from someone who did like RE5 (as a co-op game, I felt it was the weakest of the main RE games, however). Even as someone who actually really liked the bosses in RE5 a least, I feel RE6 has stronger bosses (and a lot more of them).

The only area I feel RE5 may have RE6 beat so far is Mercenaries (which could change if more is added or becomes available once RE.NET is launched. I enjoyed Mercs Reunion a lot more than I did regular Mercs for some reason).

This game is polarizing, there is no doubt to it, and critically I think on sites like Metacritic it will sit somewhere in the 70s range (with high and low scores all over the place). But I have a feeling after spending more time with it that this game, for me and I believe more than not will feel like this to be the better game

This is all preference of course, and I have no idea how this game will stack as well with RE4 and Revelations in the mix. I enjoyed RE4, RE5, Revelations, and RE6, but all for completely different reasons.

Resident Evil 6 isn't a bad game, it just is a completely unexpected one and a title that kind of goes all over the place.

(Also as I am now finding out, it is a REALLY fun co-op game. It already had a much better single player experience than RE5, but now playing co-op and dang this is a lot of fun with friends.)

-Amon-

Did not know that preordering on psn you could download it today. I guessed you had to wait till Monday.

Caught me by surprise LOL. Installing now.

Infinite Ammo is unlocked from the beginning and can be turned on or off when making a game.

However, that doesn't mean you HAVE infinite ammo when starting the game. You need to purchase the skills for infinite ammo for certain type of guns. You can equip a skill to have infinite ammo with handguns, shotguns, etc. But that will only be available in games that have infinite ammo turned on.
Thanks.
Are the infinite skills more expensive than an average skill?

News Bot

Banned
Fun? More than just another run through? Helps story a lot?

Just wanna know if her campaign really adds to it. And what your overall completion time was. And stuff. Yeah. =P

Yes, yes and yes. I didn't look at my overall time but it is shorter than the other campaigns. Nice length though.

Also; major spoiler:

The scene after completing all four campaigns is so fucking bad. Who actually thinks that sort of shit is cool?

Jackpot

Banned
Major spoiler regarding Claire Redfield:

A file explains what she's been doing for the past decade in a throw-away sentence. Closure? Not closure? I liked it but I never had any expectations Capcom would even acknowledge her existence.

News Bot

Banned

A file explains what she's been doing for the past decade in a throw-away sentence. Closure? Not closure? I liked it but I never had any expectations Capcom would even acknowledge her existence.

It was a nice answer to Sherry's BH3 epilogue.

That was not really a spoiler. Tell us what the
file
said! Please.

Lucent

Yes, yes and yes. I didn't look at my overall time but it is shorter than the other campaigns. Nice length though.

Also; major spoiler:

The scene after completing all four campaigns is so fucking bad. Who actually thinks that sort of shit is cool?

Sounds awesome.

And umm...yeah I checked the spoiler tag. Is it like a
cliffhanger?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got my copy early, thanks Shopto :)
On Leon's Chapter 2 and I love it, so far its more RE then RE5 but I expect that to change with the other characters

MechaX

So no one has really delved too much into mercenaries on this one? I'm surprised I'm even having trouble finding much information on it (outside of costumes).

Grisby

Finished Borderlands! Now I've got all the time for this puppy on Tuesday.

I'm getting excited. I'm even briefly skipping around the RE movies so bad as they are.

def sim

Where were you able to get a copy? Couldn't find one at all in my town.

Are you in NYC? I purchased my copy in Gamestar over at Junction boulevard. I wasn't planning on picking it up early, but seeing an Archives edition triggered an impulse purchase.

lantus

Seeing as how I'm going to have very little free time until December, do you guys think this game will get some good Black Friday deals? I won't be able to play this until then, so I might as well save some money while I'm at it.

Dusk Golem

Hehe. Yeah I don't know what you mean by that exactly. But now I'm curious to see it now.

Spoilers:
It is a bit of an odd inclusion, not really much of a story spoiler. We see Jake in a cloak in some country in some middle eastern country who is given an apple by a small girl, which he takes as payment to fight off some C-Virus infected shadows coming from a dust storm as he throws off his cloak and strikes a pose. Might just be an epilogue, some are reading into it as a teaser for upcoming DLC.

And the controls are floaty.

The story was a bit out there, I wish the villain was a bit more down to Earth.

Lucent

Spoilers:
It is a bit of an odd inclusion, not really much of a story spoiler. We see Jake in a cloak in some country in some middle eastern country who is given an apple by a small girl, which he takes as payment to fight off some C-Virus infected shadows coming from a dust storm as he throws off his cloak and strikes a pose. Might just be an epilogue, some are reading into it as a teaser for upcoming DLC.

The story was a bit out there, I wish the villain was a bit more down to Earth.

Complete lunar saturation...

Also, that spoiler sounds kind of cool.

Top Bottom