• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So what seems to be the average playtime for all 4 campaigns?

What happened to her being in Wesker's hands?

Talk about retconning.

24-30 hours.

And Wesker's facts pre-Code Veronica have been essentially retconned ever since Umbrella Chronicles.

News Bot

Banned
So what seems to be the average playtime for all 4 campaigns?

What happened to her being in Wesker's hands?

Talk about retconning.

Talk about jumping to conclusions. Wesker never said he had her captured or something, only that he had access to her. She was always in the government's custody (see her BH3 epilogue).

This is clarified elsewhere.

Sherry Birkin

The daughter of William Birkin who was the developer of the G-Virus. In "Memory of a Lost City" she is protected by Leon and Claire. Her father became G, and she was pursued because of its family preservation instinct and implanted with an embryo, but she was saved by the vaccine which they obtained in the Umbrella Underground Laboratory. However, the bacteria in Sherry's body was not killed, and she was placed under observation by the United States Government as an important carrier of G. The reason why Leon works as an agent of the United States secret military agency is because Sherry was taken as a kind of hostage. In addition, subordinate agents of Albert Wesker are also present in the department monitoring Sherry, and she is in a doubly dangerous position.

Wesker already had the G-Virus thanks to Ada though, so there was no real threat.

And Wesker's facts pre-Code Veronica have been essentially retconned ever since Umbrella Chronicles.

The only thing that has ever been retconned about Wesker was what virus he was infected with. Initially a variant strain of the G-Virus, they changed it in BH5.

Dusk Golem

It is impressive how awful an impression this intro is giving me. Capcom went above and beyond, truly.

Just think of it as an interactive cutscene. The prelude is very off-putting though, as I said elsewhere:

"It's not really all that great, more like an interactive cutscene and very Michael Bayish. I do suggest you play it, but don't take it as how the whole game is like as it is essentially a prologue but in a section of Leon's campaign later in the game... Earlier.

*MINOR SPOILERS* It is kind of cool how when you get there in Leon's campaign it no longer is all 'cinematic' and to see the differences. The Prelude is kind of like an alternate reality version of this scene."

Gbraga

Are the 3 pre-order Mercenaries maps worth the price difference between the US and UK versions? If so I think I'll get it on PSN UK.

News Bot

Banned
No, not at all. Most people assumed he meant she was in his keeping in one form or another, not "under surveillance". This maybe a shock, but not everyone is a lorekeeper. ;)

You assumed, and you were wrong. Sounds a lot like jumping to conclusions to me. So, yes. :p

Are the 3 pre-order Mercenaries maps worth the price difference between the US and UK versions? If so I think I'll get it on PSN UK.
So the US are not gonna give it away? Are we completely sure? The $20 back if I spend $100 are too tempting... and the maps will get released with dlc... im sure.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

gary-cole-office-space-pic-4.jpg

I'll look around the PSStore to see if I want 100 bucks worth of content lol

Re6 is already $60. I'm gonna get pirate warriors and re6. Thing is I have two ps3, so going digital is very good for me, since there's not gonna be the need of splitscreen. Otherwise i'd probably not go for this offer (which apparently works on the span of October 2012).

Levito

Banned
You assumed, and you were wrong. Sounds a lot like jumping to conclusions to me. So, yes. :p

Isn't the article you just linked to from the Darkside Chronicles? A game that came out nearly 10 years after The Wesker report?

For god sakes, as he says "sherry is safe in out hands" prison cell bars slide in front of her. That only drove home that he was saying she was in his custody. You can call it an assumption, but it's pretty heavily implied.

Sounds like retconning to me.

News Bot

Banned
Isn't the article you just linked to from the Darkside Chronicles? A game that came out nearly 10 years after The Wesker report?

For god sakes, as he says "sherry is safe in out hands" prison cell bars slide in front of her. That only drove home that he was saying she was in his custody. You can call it an assumption, but it's pretty heavily implied.

That doesn't mean the info came out ten years later.

The video of Wesker's Report was mistranslated and rushed. There are many inconsistencies with it, so much so that they released a revised version which added a few new details and clarified others. One version of the video they released actually removed the Sherry reference entirely and ended at the part about Leon.

"In our hands" can be taken many ways. In this case, it just means that he literally has her within his grasp if need-be.

kunonabi

Wesker is just one big retcon to begin with since he died in RE1.

News Bot

Banned
Wesker is just one big retcon to begin with since he died in RE1.

He never officially died, actually. Whether he lived or died was intentionally kept as ambiguous as the game's events. The misconception comes from the fact that they decided to write the circumstances of his reappearance in order to tie-in with a larger plot point that was being worked on in BH2, CODE:Veronica and the BH4 that became Devil May Cry (the G-Virus can revive the dead and create superhumans).

Seeing as how I'm going to have very little free time until December, do you guys think this game will get some good Black Friday deals? I won't be able to play this until then, so I might as well save some money while I'm at it.
Most likely, batman ac was only 28 bucks last year at Wally World. And the game just came out a month or two before Black Friday.

def sim

Just think of it as an interactive cutscene. The prelude is very off-putting though, as I said elsewhere:

"It's not really all that great, more like an interactive cutscene and very Michael Bayish. I do suggest you play it, but don't take it as how the whole game is like as it is essentially a prologue but in a section of Leon's campaign later in the game... Earlier.

Oh, I'm fine with set pieces, QTEs, and over the top scenes. My problem is Capcom's execution make it all come off as unexciting. The scenario suffers because of the increasingly arbitrary QTEs and, somehow, even more constrained set pieces. Not to mention the set piece itself is as mundane as they come. On top of that, the sound doesn't seem mixed right. What should be loud is muffled for whatever reason.

That said; the intro is not complete garbage, but the impression it leaves certainly isn't well.

JAYinHD

Resident Evil 6 is a pretty good game so far. It reminds me more of part 5 instead of 4 which I don't mind since I liked both of them. I'm about 5 hours in on professional difficulty and I was getting my butt handed to me at first but I'm more used to it now.

The camera angle was a little bit funny at first but after about 2 hours it felt a little natural. I was bored but things are starting to pick up a bit.

kunonabi

He never officially died, actually. Whether he lived or died was intentionally kept as ambiguous as the game's events. The misconception comes from the fact that they decided to write the circumstances of his reappearance in order to tie-in with a larger plot point that was being worked on in BH2, CODE:Veronica and the BH4 that became Devil May Cry (the G-Virus can revive the dead and create superhumans).

It wasn't ambiguous and he could die in more than one way. The larger plot line didn't exist at that time. It was a retcon.

News Bot

Banned
It wasn't ambiguous and he could die in more than one way. The larger plot line didn't exist at that time. It was a retcon.

It was ambiguous. Mikami said as much. Being able to die in more than one way doesn't mean much of anything considering either Jill or Chris end up in a cell no matter what way you play and no matter what ending you get, not everyone escapes. The events of BH1 as a whole are ambiguous and determined mainly by subsequent games and material, it was a conscious decision at the time. The larger plot line didn't exist at the time, which is why they left it open.

hamchan

*MINOR SPOILERS* It is kind of cool how when you get there in Leon's campaign it no longer is all 'cinematic' and to see the differences. The Prelude is kind of like an alternate reality version of this scene."

Don't even know why they bothered doing this. It's like they were afraid that no one will watch their big action scene they put so much time working on since it's near the end of the game, so they just copy and pasted it as the into.

Lucent

Don't even know why they bothered doing this. It's like they were afraid that no one will watch their big action scene they put so much time working on since it's near the end of the game, so they just copy and pasted it as the into.

I thought it was meant as a tutorial.

But anyway, anybody get the US version and try pre-ordering the UK version to download the three bonus mercenary maps and see if they worked with the US retail copy? Just wondering.

I thought it was meant as a tutorial.

But anyway, anybody get the US version and try pre-ordering the UK version to download the three bonus mercenary maps and see if they worked with the US retail copy? Just wondering.

I did that. I mean, I had the preorder on EU psn, but cancelled it afterwards, after downloading the bonus maps and re6 (I hope I can activate it with the us purchase)

Nemesis_

To those who have it. Is the game a lot more polished than the demo?

I'd like to highlight this above everything else.

It's not a huge change over the demo but things generally feel much tighter when compared to the demo.. Enemies react much more dynamically to gun shots and melee attacks seem to be easier to pull off in different situations.

The game overall feels much better.

I think the biggest thing with a game with unorthodox mechanics like RE6 is that the more you play it, the more you get used to it and the more enjoyable it inevitably becomes.

You get a better handle on which melee attacks are triggered by which actions, which moves you can counter, which weapons do what and of course how to navigate the menus, mix herbs and take them all whole avoiding a swarm of monsters.

I acknowledge that RE6 isn't a game for everyone, but it is a game that could take a little bit of time before it clicks. I was just lucky everything clicked for me in my second chapter through.

haikira

What's funny is. I have a really long list of nitpicks, based on the demo and the previews. But i'm also still very hyped. It's a strange form of realistic hype, with me being aware of the negatives but still really wanting it.

So jelly of people getting it early. Tried everywhere i could think of, in a reasonable driving range, while i was out doing a few errands today. No dice though.

Definitely going to lock myself in and destroy it Tuesday night, with the lights off.

Lucent

I did that. I mean, I had the preorder on EU psn, but cancelled it afterwards, after downloading the bonus maps and re6 (I hope I can activate it with the us purchase)

How do you cancel it? Though I don't have a card or anything registered on any account besides my US account, so they couldn't charge me anyway. It doesn't show up in my transaction history either, just download. I looked in my game data utility and a space was made for RE6 totaling 80mb, which is just the install size of all three maps.

Well if there is any other NYC people here apparently this guy is selling the anthology. Not sure if legit or not
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vgd/3305759093.html

It's probably legit. Been out since Tuesday in LA too. LOL

Played most of the first two chapters in Chris's campaign. So tempted to read spoilers, but I want to wait until I can get a 360 copy. With mercs open from the beginning, it's just too much to do upon getting past the prologue.

Dusk Golem

A pretty good unofficial video review, for those who want to see the game in motion (in review form~) and hear a break-down of a fellow gamers perspective (it is a bit gushy though, GameTrailers review should be a good 'critic' breakdown video review when it officially releases as their review was up and then taken down fairly quickly, though they opted for a 8.8 score).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNdseKn2hI

Lucent

Not tomorrow night but the next night...

fuck

Youuu...you you...you calm down, sir. =p

A pretty good unofficial video review, for those who want to see the game in motion (in review form~) and hear a break-down of a fellow gamers perspective (it is a bit gushy though, GameTrailers review should be a good 'critic' breakdown video review when it officially releases as their review was up and then taken down fairly quickly, though they opted for a 8.8 score).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNdseKn2hI

Gonna watch this after I finish some math practice.

To those who have it. Is the game a lot more polished than the demo?

If you weren’t too fond of the demo I still say go for it.

Playing a small demo is not fair, once you get used to the game and see the crazy variety it makes things, get ready for it – FUN!

Quantity is placed over quality, so playing the full game is a much better experience over the demo.

Nemesis_

I love how the game pays attention to those little details like (Jake III beginning spoilers)
the way the HUD changes since Jake has lost his original comms device thingy after being captured

For a game mass produced by so many, it surprises me that these little details get a look-in.

News Bot

Banned
Just had a few rounds of Mercenaries for the first time since I started playing. So much fun, better than previous ones I'd say. The ability to dodge an enemy mid-attack or roll out of the way and transition into a flying kick is all sorts of awesome and adds a sense of fulfillment you just can't get in previous Mercs.

Nemesis_

My only concern is content but I guess that will be alleviated once RE.net goes live.

Really hope that shit is rewarded retroactively too though ;_;

Nemesis_

when did everyone start getting their games early? any place ny to get early????

Local suppliers in Australia (there is no Capcom Australia branch) decided to let retailers sell it.

Europe has their stock too, so I'm sure there are breaks all over the place there.

zychi

Banned
We've been playing this for a few hours local co-op now, and its just not clicking like 3,4 or even 5 did. The different campaigns sort of feel like different games to me. :/

Top Bottom