• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

The one thing that MUST be patched is the blur when going into cover. I mean the way to go into cover isn’t ideal...but it’s still passable.

The blur however is just ridiculously stupid. It caused so many problems when trying to snipe enemies in chapter 4 for Chris’ campaign.

How is the framerate on PS3? Better than the demo?

I’m happy with my 360 purchase. If Dragon’s Dogma is anything to go by (same engine) the PS3 version will have a slightly worse frame-rate and load things slower.

Lachie007

For aussies in this thread, has the street date been broken? The jb hifi site has got the Xbox version available now and the ps3 version available the 28th.

Gbraga

Actually, there's simply a complete list of all DLC in one of the files. I'll just copy and paste this (these are extremely minor spoilers):
Ada's Campaign with Coop
No Hope (Hardest Difficulty)

Those two would be really stupid to be charged for. But it's Capcpom we're talking about, after all.

It's probably not entirely for flash. If you're bad at aiming, it's a cheap way to make sure you get several hits in a row (I think the entire combo only uses one part of the melee gauge). And it's VERY useful against multiple dogs as those are really tough to quickly shoot at. I haven't tested it, but if it stuns enemies that's a big plus for crowd control.

I believe it does stun, so maybe playing co-op you can stun multiple enemies with Leon and the other guy go around finishing them.

For aussies in this thread, has the street date been broken? The jb hifi site has got the Xbox version available now and the ps3 version available the 28th.

Err, it’s got September 28th – which was 3 days ago. The 28th was the day which the street date broke.

EDIT: Beaten....kinda.

It's probably not entirely for flash. If you're bad at aiming, it's a cheap way to make sure you get several hits in a row (I think the entire combo only uses one part of the melee gauge). And it's VERY useful against multiple dogs as those are really tough to quickly shoot at. I haven't tested it, but if it stuns enemies that's a big plus for crowd control.

Whats a quick shot combo and how do I do it?

Gbraga

Whats a quick shot combo and how do I do it?

A quick shot is an ability in this game where you press L1 + R1 (or LT + RT) at the same time and it will do a... uh... quick shot. Some characters/weapons have the ability to do it multiple times in a row, so for example with Helena (Hydra equipped) you can press L1+R1, and then hold L1 and press R1 two more times, and she will roll around and shoot the Hydra two more times, and instantly reload it at the end of the combo, it will only cost 1 stamina bar, like a regular quick shot. Leon can do the same while dual wielding the pistol.

Jake can do it as well with his hand-to-hand, but his melee combat is a bit more complex.

A quick shot is an ability in this game where you press L1 + R1 (or LT + RT) at the same time and it will do a... uh... quick shot. Some characters/weapons have the ability to do it multiple times in a row, so for example with Helena (Hydra equipped) you can press L1+R1, and then hold L1 and press R1 two more times, and she will roll around and shoot the Hydra two more times, and instantly reload it at the end of the combo, it will only cost 1 stamina bar, like a regular quick shot. Leon can do the same while dual wielding the pistol.

Jake can do it as well with his hand-to-hand, but his melee combat is a bit more complex.

This sounds great, can't wait to mess around with this.

Actually, there's simply a complete list of all DLC in one of the files. I'll just copy and paste this (these are extremely minor spoilers):
Survivors Mode
Onslaught Mode
Predator Mode
Siege Mode
Ada's Campaign with Coop
No Hope (Hardest Difficulty)
Stage Map Pack A
Stage Map Pack B
All Stage Maps Bundle
All Modes Bundle
(every single mercs map is listed individually, including ones which are already in a game, that's probably lines they forgot to remove)

I'm already broke...I hope all this is no more than $20. Capcpom is making sure I don't have the funds for other games.

Replicant

What happened on June 27th, 2013? Why are there no associated video files tagged for it even though there are clearly empty spaces for some?

Also, geez Capcom, no trope is sacred for you, eh? You even swiped ideas from "Clock Tower". Although in this instance I guess that's your property too.

So is it even worse then Resi 5 or better? There looks to be way to many QTEs for my liking.

I think the gameplay, enemies, situations, scenarios are far more interesting here than in RE5. Also, this game has FAR more character development and story than RE5.

TIP: Always quick shoot zombies with axes and other weapons for your chance to then do an instant death melee that also gives you a 5 second bonus.

Lum1n3s

Well, having played the demo with all three characters I can without a doubt say that I am looking forward to this game. The camera grew on me after a while and isn't that bad once you get accustomed to it. When I changed the cross-hair to the Laser one that definitely helped out a lot in terms of shooting enemies down. Can't wait to get it now! Only two more days left whoo :).

Sojgat

So is it even worse then Resi 5 or better? There looks to be way to many QTEs for my liking.

It's QTE hell, and the game is all over the place in terms of quality. Some parts are great, some are woeful, and opinions seem to vary on which parts are which. I think RE5 is better, however at this point I couldn't argue with a review score anywhere between 4 and 8 for RE6. It's certainly a different style of game, the combat is great, but in general RE6 is a mess.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm happy to see more people enjoying it so far than not.

Review embargo lifts in about 24 hours (tomorrow morning) so I fully expect to see this topic and arguing get out of control. I still will stick by what I said, I think this game will be polarizing with scores all over the place and will probably end with a Metacritic score somewhere in the high 70s, with high highs and low lows.

Hoooooooooooooooly shit at the last boss for Chris’ campaign! O_O

That is going down as one of the best boss fights I've ever played!!!

Bonus points for the first section being totally
Metroid
and
Alien!
<3

T2WNG.gif

As I said earlier, I think Chris has the best end game. I was also a big fan of Chris's final boss. I think the last boss and arena are very visually impressive, and that has to be one of the freakiest looking bosses in the RE series.

When are sites like Gametrailers, Kotaku, etc. allowed to post reviews? Tomorrow sometime?

Tomorrow morning, but GameTrailers already posted their review for about 30 minutes but then took it down. They liked the game and gave it an 8.8. Their scorecard for the game was:

k8Jv8.png

It&#8217;s so hard to answer that. Like everyone else says, the game&#8217;s quality is truly all over the place. The highs are some of the series best when reached, but man &#8211; when it goes low the quality takes a nose dive straight to hell.

I suppose that&#8217;s what happens when so many people work on a game with multiple teams. The result is one crazy inconsistent rollercoaster of a game. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the craaaaaaaaaaazy ride known as RE6!

As I said earlier, I think Chris has the best end game. I was also a big fan of Chris's final boss. I think the last boss and arena are very visually impressive, and that has to be one of the freakiest looking bosses in the RE series.

Yes, yes and yes!

hamchan

It will be divisive for sure. I think it's better, others think it's worse. One thing it isn't though is an uninspired game like RE5 was, which was just trying to copy RE4 but doing it badly. They really did try to do new things in this game.

omonimo

Banned
That game's performance was an absolute joke.. if RE6 runs anything like DD i refuse to buy it. The demo had some really noticeable fps dives, i need to do some further investigation now...

So you have to stay away to console version. I have seen a lot of walkthroughs, & performance seems enough unstable on both. Probably a slight advantage of 360 version, but forget it of the steady fps of RE5 on 360.

Sectus

There's a few places in Leon chapter 2 where the framerate really chugs. I think it's fully playable so far though. PC version will definitely walk all over the console versions when it comes to performance.

Risgroo

I need help in Leon's campaign, chapter 4.
I'm looking for three keys, while slug regenerators are chasing me. I can't figure out how to get the last key, which is behind an electrified gate. HALP.

There's a few places in Leon chapter 2 where the framerate really chugs. I think it's fully playable so far though. PC version will definitely walk all over the console versions when it comes to performance.

Yeah- I noticed that in the
graveyard.
I also thought the textures were horrible in that section.

I could barely make out what anything was. It looked like someone barfed all over the screen.

hamchan

I need help in Leon's campaign, chapter 4.
I'm looking for three keys, while slug regenerators are chasing me. I can't figure out how to get the last key, which is behind an electrified gate. HALP.

The switch is right next to it, to the left of the door, behind some tables.

Dusk Golem

Yeah- I noticed that in the
graveyard.
I also thought the textures were horrible in that section.

I could barely make out what anything was. It looked like someone barfed all over the screen.

I really like Leon's Chapter 2, but graphically it goes all over the place. I agree the
graveyard
looks terrible, but then I liked how the inside looked a lot, but there are moments in that chapter where it almost looked like RE4-quality graphics
which was ironic as I thought Chapter 2 for Leon played a lot like RE4.
Like other things, the graphics are also all over the place as I was saying earlier some areas in the game are quite impressive looking and other moments less than so.

The highlights graphically I can remember off the top are the final boss fights, especially Chris's and Jake's. I don't know why but it's almost like the games have a huge boost in quality graphically during their final chapters.

SkylineRKR

Finished both Chris and Jake today. Liked Chris better overall, but Jake's final boss was awesome. All thats rest is Leon's final chapter.

Chris is underrated, he's pretty good in RE6. I felt for what he's been going through, and what he has to endure. Never celebrated, the original RE1 hero. I loved the second half of Chapter 2 myself, some good shit in there. Having said all that, I do think the Chris from RE1 and CV was a better character. RE5 kinda ruined him.

RE could do without the driving scenes by the way, they are atrocious.

Dusk Golem

Finished both Chris and Jake today. Liked Chris better overall, but Jake's final boss was awesome. All thats rest is Leon's final chapter.

Chris is underrated, he's pretty good in RE6. I felt for what he's been going through, and what he has to endure. Never celebrated, the original RE1 hero. I loved the second half of Chapter 2 myself, some good shit in there. Having said all that, I do think the Chris from RE1 and CV was a better character. RE5 kinda ruined him.

But RE could do without the driving scenes, they are atrocious.

I believe that Chris's campaign starts getting a lot better at the second half of Chapter 2, and then just continuously gets better and better. I also feel Chris's campaign story-wise really picks up in the last couple chapters, and he has the best endgame.

If it means anything, I actually fairly enjoyed the
harrier
gameplay segment. But yes, the
jeep
can go die in a fire.

Sojgat

I really like Leon's Chapter 2, but graphically it goes all over the place. I agree the
graveyard
looks terrible, but then I liked how the inside looked a lot, but there are moments in that chapter where it almost looked like RE4-quality graphics
which was ironic as I thought Chapter 2 for Leon played a lot like RE4.
Like other things, the graphics are also all over the place as I was saying earlier some areas in the game are quite impressive looking and other moments less than so.

The highlights graphically I can remember off the top are the final boss fights, especially Chris's and Jake's. I don't know why but it's almost like the games have a huge boost in quality graphically during their final chapters.

The game's performance, and the tuning on the camera and game mechanics seems to not only vary between campaigns, but also areas. Leon's chapter 4 for example is one of his best in my opinion, and it's tuned like most of Chris's campaign, most notably his first chapter which is also set in the same location. I guess this could be attributed to the different dev teams maybe being responsible for the seperate areas as well as the seperate campaign designs. A single, more focused campaign with RE6's core combat mechanics could have been absolutely mind blowing. RE7 maybe?

SkylineRKR

With Jake its the other way around, I did enjoy the first 2 chapters a lot but 3 and 4 were mediocre while 5 was decent again. I actually liked the Ustanak.

Just played through the demo.

I've played Resident Evil 4 and 5 before, 4 being excellent and 5 not really having lasting appeal or any memorable moments.

With 6's demo, I played through Leon's section and played through a lot of Chris's section but had to turn it off. The gameplay just feels wrong and nothing really interesting happened either. I'm very surprised I disliked it as much as I did.

Anyone else having such strongly negative reactions?

omonimo

Banned

I've played Resident Evil 4 and 5 before, 4 being excellent and 5 not really having lasting appeal or any memorable moments.

With 6's demo, I played through Leon's section and played through a lot of Chris's section but had to turn it off. The gameplay just feels wrong and nothing really interesting happened either. I'm very surprised I disliked it as much as I did.

Are you sarcastic?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Did you read the thread? I guess the thread dedicated to the demo probably had a lot more of it, but yes, first impressions were often very negative. Some people (myself included) tried playing it several more times to see if it got better. For me, some things did, others did not.

It's definitely different enough from RE4 and 5 that your very first impression is likely to be messy as it's so different from what you'd expect. You might find it more fun if you experiment with different play styles. The combat mechanics seem genuinely interesting (well, not in Chris's section. That remained garbage no matter how much I played it). Everything else, well, so far I could take it or leave it.

ironcreed

Banned

Loved the first demo (the one for Dragon's Dogma owners) and got soured on the game with the second demo. Kept playing it, got used to the mechanics beneath the core gameplay and now I love it. Keep playing with it and see if you change your mind. As I would say that it is definitely an acquired taste in a quirky, but rewarding Japanese gameplay sort of way.

Dusk Golem

Many did, you can take a look at the demo topic.

But I am pretty sure among all that are playing the game right now agree the demo is a terrible representation of the game as a whole, though you should maybe try playing it a few times and see it anything clicks for you.

Did you read the thread? I guess the thread dedicated to the demo probably had a lot more of it, but yes, first impressions were often very negative. Some people (myself included) tried playing it several more times to see if it got better. For me, some things did, others did not.

It's definitely different enough from RE4 and 5 that your very first impression is likely to be messy as it's so different from what you'd expect. You might find it more fun if you experiment with different play styles. The combat mechanics seem genuinely interesting (well, not in Chris's section. That remained garbage no matter how much I played it). Everything else, well, so far I could take it or leave it.

No I haven't been reading any of this thread and haven't been looking at anything Resident Evil 6 related until today. I'm honestly really surprised. I only played the demo because I just heard that the game is coming out on Tuesday and I've played 4 and 5 so I thought I'd check it out.

I had no idea about anything to be honest.

omonimo

Banned

Opinions. A lot of people continue to claim that still remain a mess even in the whole game, so I don't think it's matter of how many times you have played it. Of course, if you want this game you like it at all cost, it's done, you can replay it until the extreme of the force, but is that normal? I find quite bizarre force yourself to play something until become funny, it completely deviate the sense of entertainment to me; this is the main problem of this game, from what I see.

News Bot

Banned
Opinions. A lot of people continue to claim that still remain a mess even in the whole game, so I don't think it's matter of how many times you have played it. Of course, if you want this game you like it at all cost, it's done, you can replay it until the extreme of the force, but is that normal? I find quite bizarre force yourself to play something until become funny, it completely deviate the sense of entertainment to me; this is the main problem of this game, from what I see.

It's less of forcing yourself to play something and more just getting used to it. The fact that people aren't willing to do this anymore is one reason why the industry is pretty balls these days, and why "simple" games sell truckloads.

omonimo

Banned
No I haven't been reading any of this thread and haven't been looking at anything Resident Evil 6 related until today. I'm honestly really surprised. I only played the demo because I just heard that the game is coming out on Tuesday and I've played 4 and 5 so I thought I'd check it out.

I had no idea about anything to be honest.

There are a lot of controversial reactions in the past day. I suggest to rent it, before to waste your money. The main problem of the demo still remain in the final build, this is what I have read here in the more critical post.

Dusk Golem

Then you're not seeing very well. I think the biggest issue people have are walking into the demo trying to play it like RE4 and RE5, which it doesn't control like, which is incredibly jarring.

There is game design that has learning curves. This is one of those games where there's a bit of a learning period before it just clicks with you.

This game has problems for certain, but I think you're focusing your lense on the wrong 'issues'.

SpokkX

Are there still sequences where
you are forced to walk or run not being able to draw your gun etc
. like in the first Leon demo?

Really hated that, felt so forced and totally broke the immersion

hamchan

It will definitely be a bumpy start for a lot of people. Now the current combat system isn't really like RE4 and 5 anymore and it's not like the standard Gears shooter system either. Let's see if people can get used to it.

Dusk Golem

Are there still sequences where
you are forced to walk or run not being able to draw your gun etc
. like in the first Leon demo?

Really hated that, felt so forced and totally broke the immersion

You'll be happy to know outside of the prelude and some of the first chapter for Leon, no.

Top Bottom