• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sojgat

Just played through the demo.

I've played Resident Evil 4 and 5 before, 4 being excellent and 5 not really having lasting appeal or any memorable moments.

With 6's demo, I played through Leon's section and played through a lot of Chris's section but had to turn it off. The gameplay just feels wrong and nothing really interesting happened either. I'm very surprised I disliked it as much as I did.

Anyone else having such strongly negative reactions?

Maybe. Yes, I fucking hated the game at first, and even by the time I had half completed it. The demo contains some of the worst sections of the game (not even the worst) IMO. It gets much, much better in some sections though, and your experience may vary wildly depending on how, and in what order you play the game. It's a very different game than RE4 & 5, the focus is mainly on combat and mastering it's intricacies. When RE6 is good, the game it most reminds me of is Vanquish (others have also said this). If you mess around with the demo more you will be able to dig that out of it, however you have to work at it, and it leaves a horrible first impression, and a second, and a third...

hamchan

They frontloaded most of the QTEs and awful slow walking sections because they apparently wanted to make the worst first impression possible.

omonimo

Banned
It's less of forcing yourself to play something and more just getting used to it. The fact that people aren't willing to do this anymore is one reason why the industry is pretty balls these days, and why "simple" games sell truckloads.

Are you serious? did you trying to pass RE6 how a courageous experiment of capcom? Forgive me but in what the hell of world you live?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They frontloaded most of the QTEs and awful slow walking sections because they apparently wanted to make the worst first impression possible.

I find that really weird too, it's like this game is determined to make the worst first impression on you as it can. The demo is a terrible representation of the full game, the game starts with a prelude segment that's essentially just an interactive almost Michael Bayish cutscene, and Leon's campaign starts with the two previous demo builds.

This game will be facing an uphill battle, but I am happy there are more people enjoying the game than not. But as everyone has said, the game is really varied, which is both a pro and a con. They weren't kidding when they said they were trying to make a game to appeal to everyone, and I've seen opinions on different segments of the game broadly vary.

But most all agree when the game is good, it is really good. The highs of RE6 are some of the best highs in the series. But then when its bad, it gets really bad. It tries to be a lot of things to varying degrees of success.

Are you serious? did you trying to pass RE6 how a courageous experiment of capcom? Forgive me but in what the hell of world you live?

...I don't mean to be rude as I think everyone has a right to feel as they do, but I really don't understand what you just said or asked.

omonimo

Banned
Then you're not seeing very well. I think the biggest issue people have are walking into the demo trying to play it like RE4 and RE5, which it doesn't control like, which is incredibly jarring.

There is game design that has learning curves. This is one of those games where there's a bit of a learning period before it just clicks with you.

This game has problems for certain, but I think you're focusing your lense on the wrong 'issues'.

But is not that case. I can distinguish from learning curves & issue in ai & controls setting. My question is, after the embargo, & independent reviews coming out if the game will have the lower score of the series, what is the cause? Because it's just controversial?

omonimo

Banned
...I don't mean to be rude as I think everyone has a right to feel as they do, but I really don't understand what you just said or asked.

You are not rude, I have just said, RE6 problems are only because for its 'higher learning curve' or the broken game/controls design, terrible ia, level design etc etc? Really RE6 is became an innovative & virtuos way to imagine a game? This what sound like reading the post which I have quoted. I find crazy those claims. I can respect if someone like the game but not leave to pass the idea those flaws are superficial or passable.

hamchan

You are not rude, I have just said, RE6 problems are only because for its 'higher learning curve' or the broken game/controls design? Really RE6 is became an innovative & virtuose way to imagine a game? I find crazy this claims.

RE6's problems is that sometimes the game is awesome, sometimes the game is shit.

Dusk Golem

But is not that case. I can distinguish from learning curves & issue in ai & controls setting. My question is, after the embargo, & independent reviews coming out if the game will have the lower score of the series, what is the cause? Because it's just controversial?

Yes. First of all, I think most here who have actually played the game will agree the controls are some of the best in the series. But they're different, they take some getting used to. I would argue with you that, while not perfect of course, the AI in this game is actually really well done. There are the occasional moments you'll stumble on a J'Avo acting like a dumbass, but the way the enemies behave and respond has a great sense of variety to it, they react well to where you shoot them, and they can be both sneaking and threatening if you are not careful. I believe fully their AI is a big step-up from Ganados and Majini (I recall the Majini having some AI issues in places as well).

I've talked a lot about this game, and in the end I do come from the side that enjoys it and I like to think I do a good job at thinking of things subjectively and even in products I love/hate I can pinpoint qualities about it others may or may not like. OF course everyone will feel differently about this, but there's something I think everyone who plays the full game would agree with me on and so far has been the case:

This game is extremely polarizing, the quality is all over the place, despite all of this the title has a lot of charm and while not everyone is going to like it I believe some will love it, and some will hate it, and love and hate different things about it.

Actually, I'm surprised to see more people so far warming up to the game than not. I was thinking it might be an even split, but so far overall gamer and critic response has been warmer to the game than I expected. I do expect, come tomorrow, a lot of reviews will come out that will be all over the place still. But I do think there is something oddly charming and fun about this game, in its highs and lows, and though I still have much to play in terms of co-op, I also think this is a wonderful co-op game that also has a much stronger single-player aspect than RE5.

Ein Bear

Up to Leon chapter 3 now, following the order in the OP. Really enjoying it so far, the different gameplay styles between the characters definitely compliment each other better when you're hopping between campaigns. Feels like you're always doing something different. Not as good as 4 (but really, what game is?) but would definitely put it above 5 so far.

Biggest problem I have with it so far is the awful inventory system. I have no idea why they ditched the system from 5, where you could assign weapons to different directions on the D-Pad. Swapping guns/grenades in the middle of a fight is a nightmare, and gets worse and worse every time you get a new gun.

I dislike the skills system too, much preferred it when different guns had different attributes, and you levelled them up individually.

RS4-

Only did the tutorial and uhh, the Leon section of the parking garage.

I know it isn't much but if the whole game was like this I'd regret it. So the game starts out like shit really.

omonimo

Banned
Yes. First of all, I think most here who have actually played the game will agree the controls are some of the best in the series. But they're different, they take some getting used to. I would argue with you that, while not perfect of course, the AI in this game is actually really well done. There are the occasional moments you'll stumble on a J'Avo acting like a dumbass, but the way the enemies behave and respond has a great sense of variety to it, they react well to where you shoot them, and they can be both sneaking and threatening if you are not careful. I believe fully their AI is a big step-up from Ganados and Majini (I recall the Majini having some AI issues in places as well).

I've talked a lot about this game, and in the end I do come from the side that enjoys it and I like to think I do a good job at thinking of things subjectively and even in products I love/hate I can pinpoint qualities about it others may or may not like. OF course everyone will feel differently about this, but there's something I think everyone who plays the full game would agree with me on and so far has been the case:

This game is extremely polarizing, the quality is all over the place, despite all of this the title has a lot of charm and while not everyone is going to like it I believe some will love it, and some will hate it, and love and hate different things about it.

Actually, I'm surprised to see more people so far warming up to the game than not. I was thinking it might be an even split, but so far overall gamer and critic response has been warmer to the game than I expected. I do expect, come tomorrow, a lot of reviews will come out that will be all over the place still. But I do think there is something oddly charming and fun about this game, in its highs and lows, and though I still have much to play, I also think this is a wonderful co-op game that also has a much stronger single-player aspect than RE5.

I take not: bad is different now. Ok. It is useless to try to explain what's wrong, because I'm sure you continue to call those flaws, how just oddy charming. I'm not sure if you would have the same reaction if this game it wasn't a resident evil branding, with all respect.

SkylineRKR

In RE5 you could farm some short levels and then power up your guns for an unbalanced co-op experience. I think the RE6 system is better for online purposes, but I'm not a fan of the skill system myself. The game also forces you to finish a campaign straight away so that you can carry multiple skill sets.

And yes, they should add guns to the d-pad. Is the d-pad even in use? I think not. So work on an update, Capcom.

As for the menu itself, its bad but to mix herbs, the most important thing, is just a matter of pressing X/A a few times in a row.

omonimo, I think you're trying too hard to get your word through.

On the demo I thought the scenario/gameplay time was sucky. But the game mechanics are really good, no doubt about that.

hamchan

In RE5 you could farm some short levels and then power up your guns for an unbalanced co-op experience. I think the RE6 system is better for online purposes, but I'm not a fan of the skill system myself.

And yes, they should add guns to the d-pad. Is the d-pad even in use? I think not. So work on an update, Capcom.

Left and right is to change weapons, up and down is to change grenades/first aid spray, on the d-pad.

gconsole

I take not: bad is different now. Ok. It is useless to try to explain what's wrong, because I'm sure you continue to call those flaws, how just oddy charming. I'm not sure if you would have the same reaction if this game it wasn't a resident evil branding, with all respect.

I thought all of the review agree that this is the most fluid control in the series? Haven't play the game myself besides demo. But after getting used to it I mostly agree.

In RE5 you could farm some short levels and then power up your guns for an unbalanced co-op experience. I think the RE6 system is better for online purposes, but I'm not a fan of the skill system myself. The game also forces you to finish a campaign straight away so that you can carry multiple skill sets.

As for the menu itself, its bad but to mix herbs, the most important thing, is just a matter of pressing X/A a few times in a row.

Please don't tell me you've been playing without knowing you can switch weapons and items with the d-pad D:

Dusk Golem

I was about to bring up you can switch your weapons and your items with the D-Pad as well. XD; The only thing you can't do with the D-Pad is drop items and combine herbs.

Ah, wonder where that rumor came from.

Well it is not strictly rumor as you can in Europe. Just not in America for some reason.

omonimo

Banned
omonimo, I think you're trying too hard to get your word through.

On the demo I thought the scenario/gameplay time was sucky. But the game mechanics are really good, no doubt about that.

I think a lot of people exchange spectacular sequence with entertainment. I don't find the game mechanics so good designed, to the opposite.

omonimo

Banned
I thought all of the review agree that this is the most fluid control in the series? Haven't play the game myself besides demo. But after getting used to it I mostly agree.

Do you talk of the exclusive reviews? I don't give a penny to those reviews, those are completely unfaithful; they write the article follow the instructions of the gaming company.

So I've been going by DG's suggested chronological order and it has been fine so far, I've completed chapters 1 & 2 for both Chris and Jake, and I've just started Leon's.

I'm actually really enjoying Jake's campaign, I fucking hated it in the demo but his campaign has a nice amount of variety and some really fun, showy sequences even early on.

News Bot

Banned

No I didn't. I just don't mind games with learning curves. So "forgive me" but your attitude sucks ass and you have yet to offer up anything to really back up your point. If you don't like the controls, that's fine. They definitely don't appeal to everyone and not everyone is willing to spend more than ten minutes with them. But as you can see, many have no issue with them and don't mind spending time to get used to them. Can you leave it at that?

Do you talk of the exclusive reviews? I don't give a penny to those reviews, those are completely unfaithful, they have to follow the agreement with the company before to publish the points of an article.

The controls are very fluid though if we're comparing them to older RE games. Once you get used to dodging it all flows together quite nicely.

Only thing I don't like is how you get into cover so I just avoid using it when I can.

The camera is far more offensive than the controls, especially during Chris' campaign and some of the faster sections in Jake's.

Controls are fine, really... I had issue with them during the demos, but the game eases you into situations quite nicely. You'll get used to the controls, you won't get used to the camera when it decides to have a meltdown.

Only thing I don't like is how you get into cover so I just avoid using it when I can.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

omonimo

Banned
No I didn't. I just don't mind games with learning curves. So "forgive me" but your attitude sucks ass and you have yet to offer up anything to really back up your point. If you don't like the controls, that's fine. They definitely don't appeal to everyone and not everyone is willing to spend more than ten minutes with them. But as you can see, many have no issue with them and don't mind spending time to get used to them. Can you leave it at that?

& many have issue, so what's your point? Why you trying to pass the idea it's just my fault about the setting controls, when there are a tons of post who said the same, in the past days? How I have just said, will see in the next reviews if it's just a personal perception. I'll bet will be the main complain for the most reviewers about the game, other than the terrible ai.

News Bot

Banned
& many have issue, so what's your point? Why you trying to pass the idea it's just my fault about the setting controls, when there are a tons of post who said the same, in the past days?

You can't please everyone, and you consistently twisting every response isn't helping you at all.

Sojgat

You are not rude, I have just said, RE6 problems are only because for its 'higher learning curve' or the broken game/controls design? Really RE6 is became an innovative & virtuose way to imagine a game? I find crazy this claims.

It has many more problems, and I think they're actually amplified by a combination of the things both of you are describing. Capcom have tried to make a giant, mass appeal shooter with many QTEs and handholdy, linear sequences, and then built it with an intensely finicky control scheme and intricate combat mechanics. This makes for an absolute train wreck of a game at some points, that really appeals to an incredibly small audience IMO. It looks like a big, clumsy, designed by committee mess, and in many ways it is, but there's also some amazing stuff going on as well if you work at it. After a lot of wall punching, I'm really glad I bought it.

Gamespot 4.5 is valid IMO

but

OPM 9 is also valid (maybe)

RE6 is a diamond encased in a massive piece of shit. Even if you pick it up you'll still probably think it's just shit for a while, but if you really dig around under the surface, it might be time well spent (and you'll still have shit on your hands).

News Bot

Banned
It has many more problems, and I think they're actually amplified by a combination of the things both of you are describing. Capcom have tried to make a giant, mass appeal shooter with many QTEs and handholdy, linear sequences, and then built it with an intensely finicky control scheme and intricate combat mechanics. This makes for an absolute train wreck of a game at some points, that really appeals to an incredibly small audience, IMO. It looks like a big, clumsy, designed by committee mess, and in many ways it is, but there's also some amazing stuff going on as well if you work at it. After a lot of wall punching, I'm really glad I bought it.

but

RE6 is a diamond encased in a massive piece of shit. Even if you pick it up you'll still probably think it's just shit for a while, but if you really dig around under the surface, it might be time well spent (and you'll still have shit on your hands).

Pretty much, but when it works, it works well. I've had more fun with Mercenaries here than in any of the previous games and that is mainly on account of the controls.

omonimo

Banned
You can't please everyone, and you consistently twisting every response isn't helping you at all.
Fixed the post.
I'm not that sure what's your point. A lot of people complain to the controls, but counts more the side who haven't problems. To me, if even just half of the gamers complains of something, something is going wrong. We don't talking of a bunch of hysterical nerd.

omonimo

Banned
It has many more problems, and I think they're actually amplified by a combination of the things both of you are describing. Capcom have tried to make a giant, mass appeal shooter with many QTEs and handholdy, linear sequences, and then built it with an intensely finicky control scheme and intricate combat mechanics. This makes for an absolute train wreck of a game at some points, that really appeals to an incredibly small audience IMO. It looks like a big, clumsy, designed by committee mess, and in many ways it is, but there's also some amazing stuff going on as well if you work at it. After a lot of wall punching, I'm really glad I bought it.

but

Forgive me but no, OPM is just paid to said a lot of things. Will see if some independent reviews reach the 8, but I'm skeptical.

Dusk Golem

What is up with the 4.5 review? I don't see it anywhere.

It's not up yet, but could be seen on Gamestop Mobile for a while on the RE6 page. Also one of the Gamestop employees has been badmouthing the game but not name-dropping on Twitter.

The two reviews for embargo we know ahead of time is GameStop with a 4.5, and Game Trailers with an 8.8.

hamchan

but

Didn't expect this after how much you hated it before!

Game is good (at times).

News Bot

Banned
Right. It's a good way to see the things. When something going wrong, you can't please everyone, who cares of the others. My thought counts more. I agree with you.

I wouldn't call them right or wrong. They're not great but they're not bad at all, although they do have problems. There are countless things I'd change about the game, from the controls and camera right down to the story. Even so, the controls work well for what they are.

Again, stop twisting every single reply.

gconsole

Do you talk of the exclusive reviews? I don't give a penny to those reviews, those are completely unfaithful; they write the article follow the instructions of the gaming company.

I'm talking about the one who give it 7/10. Surely that doesn't sounds like writing from company instruction.

I don't try to object you dude. If you think it's shit , it's shit (for you).

Sojgat

Forgive me but no, OPM is just paid to said a lot of things. Will see if some independent reviews reach the 8, but I'm skeptical.

I know this, and I haven't read the review, it's why I wrote a doubting maybe. My point is, I think there's a basis for giving RE6 a high score if it's backed up with reasoning.

What is up with the 4.5 review? I don't see it anywhere.

VanOrd appeared to be trashing the game on twitter (he's reviewing it apparently), and Gamespot was displaying a 4.5 on their site for a while. May be changed or incorrect, but I was just using it to make a point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
omonimo is demonstrating himself to be the reverse ErikB and as such his opinions cannot be taken seriously, especially if he hasn't played the whole game.

I say this as a huge skeptic of RE6, not a "defender." I have no problem granting, however, that before one can really assess whether a game is decent or not, they need to become sufficiently familiar with it. That doesn't mean the controls definitely don't suck just because you can get used to them; you can get used to just about anything. It means that not everything about a game can be accurately assessed in a few minutes.

omonimo

Banned
I wouldn't call them right or wrong. They're not great but they're not bad at all, although they do have problems. There are countless things I'd change about the game, from the controls and camera right down to the story. Even so, the controls work well for what they are.

Again, stop twisting every single reply.

I think your a not a mod. So stop to try, thanks.

Here in the UK you can preorder the game on the PSN store. The price is seriously jacked up though, so I have no idea why anyone would want to.

sorry, meant to answe US PSN. Here in spain it's also available. But no, i'm not gonna buy it here. Although I downloaded the bonus and the game while in preorder. I wonder what will happen lol.

omonimo

Banned
omonimo is demonstrating himself to be the reverse ErikB and as such his opinions cannot be taken seriously, especially if he hasn't played the whole game.

I say this as a huge skeptic of RE6, not a "defender." I have no problem granting, however, that before one can really assess whether a game is decent or not, they need to become sufficiently familiar with it. That doesn't mean the controls definitely don't suck just because you can get used to them; you can get used to just about anything. It means that not everything about a game can be accurately assessed in a few minutes.

Ok, so talking of ai. How good is ai? I continue to think here, people exchange spectacular sequence with the gameplay entertainment. What's funny exactly in this game? QTE are weird, enemies ai seems weird, comrade even worse. What I have found funny in this game? The sequence of explosion, tons of ingame cutscene a la uncharted, but others than that I don't see nothing of entertainment.

Dusk Golem

It also should be mentioned, I believe, that this isn't a bad or broken game. Misguided at times, but it is both a good and bad game. I am kind of repeating myself as I said this several days ago so I might as well just quote myself from then.

It kind of is, I just wrote an in-depth opinion in the spoiler topic going chapter by chapter, but in my personal opinion I felt the game has very uneven levels of quality throughout, and I think different parts of it will attract different people. I'll just say when they said they were trying to make a game that had elements to 'please everybody', they were not kidding. The flip side to this is chapters designed with other people in mind might not tickle your own personal fancy.

There's moments where this game is slow-paced with jump scares, moments where it's straight-up dudebro action, moments where it's a stealth game... I want to say more but, spoilers.

This variety has it's appeals and disappeals. As a gamer who plays a lot of genres it was really interesting, but my break-down varies from chapter to chapter.If anyone wants to see that, here it is, but be warned there are some pretty big spoilers I mention: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42587667&postcount=485

Personally speaking, I like the game a lot.

ALSO, something I should add!

This game has a MUCH better single player experience than RE5. BUT, I also think this will be a REALLY fun game in co-op. From what I played locally recently (my copy arrived~) and have seen, this game is actually a really good co-op game. Somehow, the variety and continuous twists of expectations makes it pretty fun with friends. Weird, I know.

Actually if I can chime in for a second, I don't think the issue exactly is its quality. I'll see if I can explain this.

This game is not a bad game, but it's not going to be a game everyone wants or likes. The opposite is true as well, for others this is going to be a game that they will really enjoy.

The level design is all over the place. I don't know what you saw, but there are some chapters where I was extremely impressed with how they designed the stage, and others where it looked poor. The thing about Resident Evil 6 is that each chapter is different from one another, even in the same campaign. I don't know why but it almost feels like each chapter is it's own miniature game as opposed to each campaign. There are some chapters I was really impressed by, and others I was let down by. Some stages and bosses utilize the games mechanics extremely well, but other stages seem to be designed differently and you apply the mechanics in a different way than you're adjusted to.

It's really hard to talk about this without spoilers, but I cannot agree when people say the level design is truly terrible. I can agree that some of it is, but I also thought some of it was absolutely brilliant. And the reason is because each chapter is so different from each other.

I don't think the review is wrong, nor do I think it is right. The game has confirmed what I suspected, this will be an INCREDIBLY polarizing experience. Some people are jumping on the low score as a 'I told you so,' meanwhile neglecting high or mid-range scores, but I am going to say this one last time:

Reviews will be polarizing as hell, bet on it.

This game has a lot of good reviews, and like other reviews, neither right or wrong. But I disagree whole-heartily when you say it is unpolished. they fixed up the tearing and framerate issues dramatically in the final build, and besides some graphical clipping, there has not been much found at all in terms of glitches (there is one or two things such as the Ustanak melee glitch in the demo, but I actually don't know if that's in the final game or not. Should try it sometime).

I know this is going to sound empty, but like how some people said before the demo came out, don't judged anything but the controls based off of the demo. If you absolutely detest it, then chances are you may not like the full game. But in terms of areas, I feel that they must of intentionally chose some of the most basic and boring areas for each character. I could go more into detail, but that goes into spoilers.

I should quote myself more often.

SkylineRKR

Please don't tell me you've been playing without knowing you can switch weapons and items with the d-pad D:

Yes but it brings up the menu and you have to scroll through a list anyway. What I mean is being able to set weapons to all directions on the pad, GoW/RE5 style. As far as I can see its not there.

Top Bottom