• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Lucent

The chrono thing is completely unnecessary to enjoy the game. If anything, it would probably make the experience worse, as the game was not written chronologically.

But Dusk and the other guy who used it seemed to think it made things better I think. Would make more sense to me. Especially if stuff in Leon's campaign doesn't make sense until you play someone else's.

Teknoman

Funny how so many people are full of hate and rage towards the game, but then there are people like you and others who absolutely love the game. And by the sound of it, you didn't even try to do the chronological order thing and still enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this.

Yup pretty much on different ends of the fun factor spectrum for everyone, but Its not a bad game at all.

But Dusk and the other guy who used it seemed to think it made things better I think. Would make more sense to me. Especially if stuff in Leon's campaign doesn't make sense until you play someone else's.

That might make it all the more enjoyable for some. Kind of like having a revelation while playing Siren Blood Curse. Or watching a movie where events take place out of order.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Funny how so many people are full of hate and rage towards the game, but then there are people like you and others who absolutely love the game. And by the sound of it, you didn't even try to do the chronological order thing and still enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this.

Either method I would imagine would make for an entertaining experience, it just depends what you want to go through. I think there's pros and cons to both methods, though I am happy people who decided to take my suggested list are really enjoying it.

The chrono thing is completely unnecessary to enjoy the game. If anything, it would probably make the experience worse, as the game was not written chronologically.

I think it comes out more coherently than you might think, but I also would say it is up to the individual if they prefer one method or the other. The game was written with chronological traits in mind at least as the events do actually have an order that they take place in, and as I discovered shortly afterward, the theater does file the cutscenes into a chronological order. I'm just happy the order I suggested is apparently close to be 100% accurate to the cutscene viewer order.

That will be preference, different questions and viewpoints are introduced through different campaigns and their answers given in that campaign. Some will enjoy the mystery of discovering it out on a later playthrough with another character, others will want things to be more straight-forward, or as much as it can be, in a line as opposed to following just one story path at a time. The question comes if you want to tackle each character as a different campaign, or tackle the whole thing as one big varied package.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think it makes much more sense to play in campaign order.

I'm really enjoying the game. I just finished Leon Chapter 4. It's just good dumb fun.

Lucent

Yup pretty much on different ends of the fun factor spectrum for everyone, but Its not a bad game at all.

That might make it all the more enjoyable for some. Kind of like having a revelation while playing Siren Blood Curse. Or watching a movie where events take place out of order.

I personally don't like stuff like that. Especially ones where they jump around all over the place like 3 years back, 7 years forward, 2 years back, 50 years forward, wtf is going on anymore, etc. A flashback every now and then is okay, but not that stuff.

Teknoman

I personally don't like stuff like that. Especially ones where they jump around all over the place like 3 years back, 7 years forward, 2 years back, 50 years forward, wtf is going on anymore, etc. A flashback every now and then is okay, but not that stuff.

Heh dont play Blood Curse then. You wont know whats up until after you finish the game, and then talk about the game with others, while someone provides a timeline chart lol. Game was nuts...so as long as RE6 isnt like that (im sure it isnt) then you should be ok either way.

Lucent

Heh dont play Blood Curse then. You wont know whats up until after you finish the game, and then talk about the game with others, while someone provides a timeline chart lol. Game was nuts...so as long as RE6 isnt like that (im sure it isnt) then you should be ok either way.

Yeah. Like, it can be okay, but I guess that negative feeling towards it comes from movies I find overly complicated and trying too hard to be deep because of stuff like that instead of being easier to follow. Maybe I'm a lazy thinker? I didn't like Inception.

Before I derail the threadRESIDENT EVIL 6!

I kinda miss tyrants. I know there's that big monster in Chris' campaign from the demo, but it doesn't really look like the tyrants. They were just always the enemy in the game you'd see and were like "well, this is gonna be a pain". lol

Dusk Golem

No worries, there is a definitive order to what happens, though there is a few time lapses between some of the chapters (no big spoilers as almost all of these are near the very beginning of the game, but marking them just in case):
The prelude at the start is towards the end of Leon's campaign, sort of an interactive cutscene of 'things to come', or as I like to call it, an alternate reality of one of Leon's later gameplay segments.

After Chris's first chapter, he has a flashback to six months ago which is the second chapter. After the second chapter, the game goes back to right after the first chapter for chapter 3 and beyond. Jake and Sherry have a time lapse of six months between their second and third chapter.

Dusk Golem

Yeah. Like, it can be okay, but I guess that negative feeling towards it comes from movies I find overly complicated and trying too hard to be deep because of stuff like that instead of being easier to follow. Maybe I'm a lazy thinker? I didn't like Inception.

Before I derail the threadRESIDENT EVIL 6!

I kinda miss tyrants. I know there's that big monster in Chris' campaign from the demo, but it doesn't really look like the tyrants. They were just always the enemy in the game you'd see and were like "well, this is gonna be a pain". lol

There's Ustanak in Jake's campaign.

Cg_ustanak_(1).jpg

He appears throughout Jake's campaign, and is the closest you're going to get to a Tyrant-type monster. I didn't think much of the Ustanak at first, but I will admit he did strangely grow on me.

Lucent

There's Ustanak in Jake's campaign.

He appears throughout Jake's campaign, and is the closest you're going to get to a Tyrant-type monster. I didn't think much of the Ustanak at first, but I will admit he did strangely grow on me.

Yeah, he did look sort of like a lazy Nemesis rip-off to me at first, but looking at that pic and the close-up of his face, pretty messed up. I wonder why it looks like his hair is fused with skin or whatever. Looks odd.

Nemesis_

Probably more. Each campaign has 30 emblems split between its five chapters, though I've figured out whenever your game loads to the next area (like has a loading screen) there will almost always be a blue medallion hidden somewhere around there.

The stats that you can open when viewing your partner's stats actually says 80 medallions?

Dusk Golem

The stats that you can open when viewing your partner's stats actually says 80 medallions?

Then my memory must be hazy. XD I remember thinking there were 30, but since I'm away from home tonight I won't be able to check for tomorrow, but will trust your word, but I swear in the Collectibles menu there is six rows of five for each character. Maybe it scales by what chapter you're at?

Sojgat

The difference in the levels of polish and execution in Chris's campaign is stunning IMO.

- Camera is zoomed back further and adapts better in confined spaces (playing as Chris doesn't give me motion sickness).
- Target zone for melee prompts is more forgiving.
- Sticking to cover is more consistent. Almost every surface works (unlike with Leon and Jake).
- QTEs are better implemented, even the grappling. With Leon you have to start hammering both the stick and A in case you get the A QTE, because half the time if you start after the prompt pops up you will fail.

It's basically just a pure action combat game, but on that level it's almost Vanquish levels of good. WTF who the hell is in charge at Capcom? I would call RE6 a 9 if Chris's was the only campaign, the other campaigns have so many problems (especially the prologue and the first half of Leon's) that they just drag down the overall experience.

Apparently, RE6, like Spec Ops: The Line, is one of the rare games where you should play the whole game before forming an opinion, just for totally disparate reasons. My bad.

Dusk Golem

Is there split screen co-op for the main campains?

Yup, and Mercenaries. For four-player+ modes/sections two people can even hop online together while playing split-screen.

Ugh spent ages trying to figure out.how to defeat a boss on Chris campaign. 10 min later found out that you have to QTE it. FML

I think I know what boss you're talking about. XD

Also, does someone knows how do you get to carry more skills? 3 is really low

Beat a campaign. Once you beat a campaign, it bumps up to 8 slots.

Frillen

I got the game yesterday but didn't have the time to start it. But no excuses today. Looking forward to play the chapters chronologically.

def sim

I didn't expect skills to be so effective. One grab assuredly removed the majority of my health blocks without the defense upgrade, but it takes two or three with only the first level equipped. I assume we'll be nearly invincible at level three.

Replicant

I think I know what boss you're talking about. XD

I lost so much health and ammo trying to figure that out. Wondering if I should redo chapter 2 from the start.

Also, if you jump between character's chapter, do you retain the health and ammo you got on previous character when you get back to his chapter?

Dusk Golem

I lost so much health and ammo trying to figure that out. Wondering if I should redo chapter 2 from the start.

Also, if you jump between character's chapter, do you retain the health and ammo you got on previous character when you get back to his chapter?

I believe each character retains their health, ammo, and the likes. I hope someone else can confirm/deny, but in my experience that's how it has worked replaying chapters.

Man Mercenaries has such a huge potential for DLC that Capcom won't take advantage of.

A classic pack with 3 maps(Mansion, RPD, Clocktower) that includes Barry, Rebecca, Jill, Wesker and Claire
id pay like $15-20 for.

Dusk Golem

Man Mercenaries has such a huge potential for DLC that Capcom won't take advantage of.

A classic pack with 3 maps(Mansion, RPD, Clocktower) that includes Barry, Rebecca, Jill, Wesker and Claire
id pay like $15-20 for.

To be fair, they do seem to have a lot of DLC planned for Mercenaries, they have three modes they announced, say they will release more maps in the future, and more things that are unannounced as of now. Hope they stick with the RE5 pricing as I thought the DLC for RE5 was fairly priced and each piece of content had a good amount of meat to it.

Also, the Resident Evil6 launch party was just a few hours ago. Some videos of the event going up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0WwFm35OSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egu_2wKcPQ0

Also, D.C. Douglas has made a video for the fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUzZEVS5bUo

So is there any word on which version is best between PS3 and 360?
I dont care about controller preference or anything like that, as I like both systems pretty much equal. I really just want the version that runs/looks better.

Dusk Golem

So is there any word on which version is best between PS3 and 360?
I dont care about controller preference or anything like that, as I like both systems pretty much equal. I really just want the version that runs/looks better.

I've heard there's no tearing and slowdown in the PS3 version, and in the 360 version I haven't particularly noticed any slowdown or tearing either. One review said the PS3 version is a tad superior, but honestly I think you'll be fine either way you go.

Jawmuncher

To be fair, they do seem to have a lot of DLC planned for Mercenaries, they have three modes they announced, say they will release more maps in the future, and more things that are unannounced as of now. Hope they stick with the RE5 pricing as I thought the DLC for RE5 was fairly priced and each piece of content had a good amount of meat to it.

Also, the Resident Evil6 launch party was just a few hours ago. Some videos of the event going up:

have a feeling we'll be seeing some DLC packs similar to RE5 once the maps are in order.
Also the pricing hopefully stays the same, since I agre it was very reasonable.

Sojgat

I would recommend playing entire campaigns the first time through, but in the order of Chris, Jake, then Leon. Chris's campaign is highly playable even without any skills equipped, completing a campaign unlocks more skill slots (and Agent Hunt mode) and the story makes better sense than it does starting with Leon's weird jumping off point. I think the intent of having Leon's campaign first was to give it the feel of a more traditional survival horror (it doesn't work IMO). Having more skills unlocked will make some of the more frustrating elements of gameplay more enjoyable, and you also won't get such a bad impression of the game right out of the gate (apart from the prologue).

Yeah RE5's was pretty good.
hated that Mercenaries and Mercs Reunion characters were separated though.
Not being able to use STARS Chris and Wesker with Barry and Rebecca was stupid.

Dusk Golem

Yeah RE5's was pretty good.
hated that Mercenaries and Mercs Reunion characters were separated though.
Not being able to use STARS Chris and Wesker with Barry and Rebecca was stupid.

That I can agree with. In this game it seems all modes/maps/characters are shared between though, so that's good. They commented that any purchased maps will work between all modes, as well as characters. I am guessing they all use the same basis as I notice on Mercenaries there's an option to set the number of players when making a round, but for now you can't change it above two-players (but suggests in the future you'll be able to, likely for other modes).

That I can agree with. In this game it seems all modes/maps/characters are shared between though, so that's good. They commented that any purchased maps will work between all modes, as well as characters. I am guessing they all use the same basis as I notice on Mercenaries there's an option to set the number of players when making a round, but for now you can't change it above two-players (but suggests in the future you'll be able to, likely for other modes).

oh that should be good then.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... I guess this game is better than RE5? And I'm guessing Chris's scenario is the weakest because it's much like RE5's?

Replicant

So... I guess this game is better than RE5? And I'm guessing Chris's scenario is the weakest because it's much like RE5's?

IMO it's mostly because the enemies are extremely overpowered in Chris mode (ie. rocket launcher enemies x 5 in one area). There are a lot of enemies using guns, forcing you to use the cover. The problem is, the cover is not working at all. It's really inconvenient to use when there are a lot of gunfire happening all around you. So you end up dodging, running and gunning. The problem is that this will deplete a lot of your stamina so it's pretty annoying after a while.

Sectus

Finally started to actually play the game now. Me and my friend played through first 2 chapters of Leon and spent 4 hours and 20 minutes. I should note that we're stupidly thorough. I'm very certain we've found every bsaa emblem so far. We're also playing on Pro difficulty, although that's much much easier than I anticipated. It feels more like veteran from RE5 than anything else.

A few more mercs videos I recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pB3-49jd34 - Steel Beast as Ada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlTPHdssA8 - Urban Chaos duo as Leon and Chris (with commentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzE9T4-Yro - Subway duo as Jake and Leon

The difference in the levels of polish and execution in Chris's campaign is stunning IMO.

- Camera is zoomed back further and adapts better in confined spaces (playing as Chris doesn't give me motion sickness).
- Target zone for melee prompts is more forgiving.
- Sticking to cover is more consistent. Almost every surface works (unlike with Leon and Jake).
- QTEs are better implemented, even the grappling. With Leon you have to start hammering both the stick and A in case you get the A QTE, because half the time if you start after the prompt pops up you will fail.

It's basically just a pure action combat game, but on that level it's almost Vanquish levels of good. WTF who the hell is in charge at Capcom? I would call RE6 a 9 if Chris's was the only campaign, the other campaigns have so many problems (especially the prologue and the first half of Leon's) that they just drag down the overall experience.

Apparently, RE6, like Spec Ops: The Line, is one of the rare games where you should play the whole game before forming an opinion, just for totally disparate reasons. My bad.

It really just sounds like you finally learned how to play properly and this just happened to occur during Chris' campaign. None of your points make sense to me.

Sojgat

IMO it's mostly because the enemies are extremely overpowered in Chris mode (ie. rocket launcher enemies x 5 in one area). There are a lot of enemies using guns, forcing you to use the cover. The problem is, the cover is not working at all. It's really inconvenient to use when there are a lot of gunfire happening all around you. So you end up dodging, running and gunning. The problem is that this will deplete a lot of your stamina so it's pretty annoying after a while.

I don't agree with this, stamina only depletes using quick shot and melee on an enemy, run and gun all you want, cover works fine, and headshots kill those rocket launcher guys really quickly, not like
laser sighted statues
endlessly juggling you off the ground in Leon's campaign.

Sojgat

It really just sounds like you finally learned how to play properly and this just happened to occur during Chris' campaign. None of your points make sense to me.

No. Play first chapter of Chris's campaign with no skills equipped, then play Leon's. Take note of FOV and the other crap I'm talkng about. I died once during Leon's campaign, in the cemetery area
(fell in a pit, took down my life then a dog jumped me when I was trying to get the key, even with the problems I'm talking about you can just run past/inc grenade all the big groups anyway)
, I'm playing it the same, Chris's campaign just plays better. Also puzzles that waypoint every step of the solution are pointless, and constant mini cutscenes are awful.

Edit: double post, meant to edit sorry.

So the embargo isnt lifted for another 28 hours correct? I'm becoming very tempted to buy this tomorrow but i don't think i can without reading reviews. I Loved RE4 of course, RE5 was alright.. but i hate hate hated the RE6 demo. what should i do?

Sectus

So the embargo isnt lifted for another 28 hours correct? I'm becoming very tempted to buy this tomorrow but i don't think i can without reading reviews. I Loved RE4 of course, RE5 was alright.. but i hate hate hated the RE6 demo. what should i do?

If you absolutely hated the demo, you should probably skip. I think the full game is better than the demo (especially since it has mercenaries) and it is more varied, but it's not as if it's a different game than the demo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The game -- Leon's campaign, at least -- is much better than the demo would have you believe.

It isn't a classic, mind you. There are obvious, baffling problems, but it plays to the beat of its own drum in a world full of cut and paste shooters so I've got to respect it for that.

Chris's campaign is very enjoyable. They're going balls to the walls action, and campy, US army all-for-one morale story - I thought it would suck but it's great.

Question: is Ada's campaign unlocked after you finish with all the others?

It's a big budget mix between Resident Evil 5 and 4, that's all you need to know. If you're ok with that don't miss this game, It has a ton of content and it can be highly enjoyable, from time to time.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say that the game play going for this is definitely the right evolution for the series and has far great potential to combine some interesting concepts for the future with how great the C virus is. This title has the best enemy variation from the series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I love the enemy design. The bosses towards the end of Leon's campaign look fantastic.
The transformations are really neat. Not a big fan of the actual designs. Lots of tentacles and cartilage but not a lot of definition.

Top Bottom