• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

No. Play first chapter of Chris's campaign with no skills equiped, then play Leon's. Take note of FOV and the other crap I'm talkng about. I died once during Leon's campaign, in the cemetery area
(fell in a pit, took down my life then a dog jumped me when I was trying to get the key, even with the problems I'm talking about you can just run past/inc grenade all the big groups anyway)
, I'm playing it the same, Chris's campaign just plays better. Also puzzles that waypoint every step of the solution are pointless, and constant mini cutscenes are awful.

Edit: double post, meant to edit sorry.

I don't think the FOV is any different between them. I'm only up to chapter 2, though. But already the QTE's in Chris' campaign are more annoying (mash square for 3 minutes to move along a rope, having to waggle the stick ridiculously fast to succeed in a boss battle). I rarely used cover with Leon because enemies generally don't have projectile attacks (why else would you need cover?). Not sure what you're talking about with the melee thing.

Leon's is definitely more cutscene heavy. It's also far better looking. So many hideous textures in Chris' campaign. It's bringing my overall visual impression of the game way down.

I enjoy both characters though. Can't wait to get started on Jake.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The transformations are really neat. Not a big fan of the actual designs. Lots of tentacles and cartilage but not a lot of definition.

I think the enemies, the zombies in particular, have been executed great for this game play formulae and actually can be quite tensed given the scarce of ammo and being out numbered. You only got to go back and play 5 and just remember how awful the enemies were in that how Lost-Planet'fied that game was with the big yellow spots to appreciate they are are not trying to hold your hand this time around.

I hope this game has Directx11 support when it's released on the PC so I can enjoy the increased number of enemies on screen and the tweaks that will come with it.

Replicant

OH LOL @ one of Jake's setting. It looks like it's taken out of Silent Hill setting. Come to think of it, this game looks like it's cobbled up from various different inspirations, namely:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (setting and environments)
Silent Hill (setting and environments)
Vanquish (game mechanic)
Dawn of the Dead (story, environment, situations)
Ghostbusters (enemy design)
Call of Duty (atmosphere, game mechanic, situations)
Uncharted (QTEs, action scenarios)
Resident Evil movies (atmosphere, setting, environments, and situations)

and many others I'm sure.....

So I guess the thread title is fitting, I suppose. No trope left.

Sojgat

I don't think the FOV is any different between them. I'm only up to chapter 2, though. But already the QTE's in Chris' campaign are more annoying (mash square for 3 minutes to move along a rope, having to waggle the stick ridiculously fast to succeed in a boss battle). I rarely used cover with Leon because enemies generally don't have projectile attacks (why else would you need cover?). Not sure what you're talking about with the melee thing.

Leon's is definitely more cutscene heavy. It's also far better looking. So many hideous textures in Chris' campaign. It's bringing my overall visual impression of the game way down.

I enjoy both characters though. Can't wait to get started on Jake.

You are just wrong about the FOV (I'm talking about the standing camera, not aiming view which is the same) and exaggerating about the rope thing. Leon's campaign doesn't really need cover much (good thing because you can't use it in most places and you would stick to walls every time you tried to aim in environments like the
gun shop
). Melee thing is the level of forgiveness you have with being at the right angle for the prompt to appear so you can trigger a neck snap, contextual weapon kill, head stomp, etc. Visually at the half way point Leon's campaign improves a lot, but the first half looks like garbage IMO
(lightning at the start, dining room where his camera zooms out, and the electricity effects in the subway look great though)
, just as many bad textures.

I love Chris's campaign, Leon's shits me and Jake's is meh.

Hoooooooooooooooly shit at the last boss for Chris’ campaign! O_O

That is going down as one of the best boss fights I've ever played!!!

Bonus points for the first section being totally
Metroid
and
Alien!
<3

T2WNG.gif

Jawmuncher

Same as RE5. Buy the infinite ammo skill, and then when you create a game make sure that the infinite ammo option is enabled.

Does it work like RE5 where you can use infinte ammo, and still get achievements?
That was nice for being able to wrap up emblems and shit.

PowderedToast

The game -- Leon's campaign, at least -- is much better than the demo would have you believe.

It isn't a classic, mind you. There are obvious, baffling problems, but it plays to the beat of its own drum in a world full of cut and paste shooters so I've got to respect it for that.

i got this sense from the demo. i was puzzled that so many were hating on a game that's stuffed with character and unique mechanics. quick shot, sliding, dodging, melee, counter. nice to hear positive impressions from the campaign, too.

Jawmuncher

Got my copy early from the capcom store with the Umbrella Umbrella.

Awesome, makes the second time (Got ORC early as well)
I guess after the MVC3 fiasco they figured it's better to give people the game early then late as fuck.

Risgroo

Oh my lawd at a QTE in chapter 3 of Leon's campaign
When you're swimming away from the BOW shark, and hitting X to go faster, is Leon supposed to swim so damn slow? Looked ridiculous.
This game is so silly, and I love it!

Looks like people actually like the game.

The crow population is about to take a serious hit. Next time we could probably do without all the "you're factually stupid if you like this game" comments.

I'm not saying it's going to be super well-received, but some people are clearly loving it so far, so it's obviously not some unanimously agreed upon terrible game.

I get that some people were saying those things based on the demo, and that's all fair game, but calling people out for liking it is fucking ridiculous and that goes for just about anything.

Sharing opinions is great, whether positive or negative, but forcing them is something else entirely.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter One with Chris was no fun at all. Small environments and boring enemies.

Chapter One with Chris was no fun at all. Small environments and boring enemies.

The bad news – chapter 2 is indeed just as bad.
The good news – chapter 5 is RE4 levels of God-tier!

By the way, why did you get this on the PS3 and not on the 360 like you did with RE5? Now we can’t play together! ;_;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's a shame. I don't pay for Gold anymore and find a lot of the "Xbox experience" to be really unattractive nowadays. As a result, I only really play Xbox exclusives or clearly better versions on it.

It is and it's one of the weakest in the game, but it gets much better. I didn't mind the first chapter, it was really quick anyway.

Both are meh - but, Chapter 1 > Chapter2.

Yeah, that's a shame. I don't pay for Gold anymore and find a lot of the "Xbox experience" to be really unattractive nowadays. As a result, I only really play Xbox exclusives or clearly better versions on it.

: (

piotr47

Banned
Need help guys.... I'm in
China and I must shut down power to cross a door. The thing is, I don't see were it is?

Don't know if I'm tired, or just dumb...... Or both!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also, it's worth noting that I'm playng the entire thing in split-screen with a friend and its been so much fun. Highly recommended.

Gbraga

A few more mercs videos I recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pB3-49jd34 - Steel Beast as Ada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlTPHdssA8 - Urban Chaos duo as Leon and Chris (with commentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzE9T4-Yro - Subway duo as Jake and Leon

Still didn't watch the last one, but the commentated video was great, that was so much fun!

Is there a reason why you don't use the dual wielded quick shot with Leon to dispose of mutiple enemies?

Plasma

Banned
Just finished Leon's campaign and I'm really disappointed, this is already my least favourite mainline Resident Evil game. Not sure if I even want to continue and play through the Chris and Jake campaigns.

Real shame as well the first trailer they put out made this game look really promising but in the end it turned out to be an extremely linear shooter with a lot of awful quick time events.

Replicant

FUCKING FFF WHO FFFFF, Jake's mountain scenario is making me want to knock over a magazine rack. I've had enough of those stupid USB keys and those stupid Chrysalides.

Sectus

(extremely minor spoilers in this post)

A bit of info about upcoming DLC stuff. Here's the names of mercenaries maps to be released:
Requiem for War
Rooftop
Creature Workshop
Liquid Fire

Here's the list of modes which can be played on the mercenaries maps:
Mercenaries
Onslaught
Siege
Predator
Survivors

I've got no info about the unknown mode. I might do some more digging later, but I'm a bit worried about accidentally bumping into spoilers.

Still didn't watch the last one, but the commentated video was great, that was so much fun!

Is there a reason why you don't use the dual wielded quick shot with Leon to dispose of mutiple enemies?

I find it much harder to aim while in akimbo mode, so I tend to stick with one pistol. Also, doing the quick shot combo Leon tends to shoot at multiple enemies instead of one enemy which might make it unreliable if you need to get a kill.

Gbraga

I find it much harder to aim while in akimbo mode, so I tend to stick with one pistol. Also, doing the quick shot combo Leon tends to shoot at multiple enemies instead of one enemy which might make it unreliable if you need to get a kill.

It's just for flash then? Too bad, it looks so cool, I wish it was useful :(

Almost finished the Leon campaign. Some pretty cool moments, but overall this is a real regression from Resident Evil 4 and 5.

This game feels like Capcom threw a thousand people and a zillion dollars at a project without any vision or focus. There's a lot of playable characters, alot of moves, alot of enemies, alot of levels, alot of complicated menus... But it doesn't amount to much but a big, sloppy, itermittently entertaining mess.

This is not what I wanted to hear. I liked RE4...RE5 was meh, and I was hoping that this would be an improvement...

Sectus

Actually, there's simply a complete list of all DLC in one of the files. I'll just copy and paste this (these are extremely minor spoilers):
Survivors Mode
Onslaught Mode
Predator Mode
Siege Mode
Ada's Campaign with Coop
No Hope (Hardest Difficulty)
Stage Map Pack A
Stage Map Pack B
All Stage Maps Bundle
All Modes Bundle
(every single mercs map is listed individually, including ones which are already in a game, that's probably lines they forgot to remove)

Replicant

How do I pull that thing out of the BOW's back in Chris' chapter 2?

Shoot it on the mouth or back and when it falls next to one of the building, climb up its arm and perform QTE with R1 (PS3) to climb its hand then shake the right stick to dislodge its pint.

Sectus

It's just for flash then? Too bad, it looks so cool, I wish it was useful :(

It's probably not entirely for flash. If you're bad at aiming, it's a cheap way to make sure you get several hits in a row (I think the entire combo only uses one part of the melee gauge). And it's VERY useful against multiple dogs as those are really tough to quickly shoot at. I haven't tested it, but if it stuns enemies that's a big plus for crowd control.

Top Bottom