• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

The_Kid

Dunno why people are irritated this is called Resident Evil. They want a sequel to the disaster 6 was? Game was janky as hell. That Chris car segment still gives me nightmares.

Sesha

I wonder if Capcom really couldn't afford making another full-blown AAA RE, either in the style of RE6, Tomb Raider 2013 or Last of Us, 3 or so years ago when they apparently began development. Or if they started something which they then scrapped.

Dunno why people are irritated this is called Resident Evil. They want a sequel to the disaster 6 was? Game was janky as hell. That Chris car segment still gives me nightmares.

They want RE6's combat engine in a better game, like how DMC fans wanted DMC4's combat in a better game.

LiK

I expected this to be a Silent Hill game.

Seems much closer to that franchise.

Resident Evil was always cheesy schlock.

it's def inspired by PT. can't imagine this going to be like OG RE games. kinda have mixed feelings about it.

Guess this is the reason why they are making re2make, to please old fans like myself. I literally felt sick after seeing the resident evil name at the end of that trailer . A vr walking simulator is what I see so far . I'll be happy with resident evil 2 remake though, the new generation can have their type of game too.

Can we stop saying this? This is a teaser. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Capcom rep on the stream said the whole point of this teaser is to set the tone and atmosphere. The "meat" of the gameplay is coming later.

In short, stop assuming that this is the whole game. You're likely going to do more than just walk and hide from zombies.

I wonder if Capcom really couldn't afford making another full-blown AAA RE, either in the style of RE6, Tomb Raider 2013 or Last of Us, 3 or so years ago when they apparently began development. Or if they started something which they then scrapped.

Bolds well for DMC5!

Jawmuncher

I'm betting on they started and then scrapped. More than likely due to phanta Rhei

News Bot

Banned
Until capcom brings him back again using some kind of virus sub-plot like what they did before.

Won't happen, and that sub-plot was very integral to the core of the series' mythology and was entirely plausible within the universe at that time. It didn't get the attention and explaining it required though due to the series' troubles in the early 00's.

Oeufcoque

Banned
Live on YouTube right now!

Entire game is first person. You are not a RE superhero character, just another person. All takes place in a plantation estate. Can play all in VR.

If this means no combat then I'm not sure if I'll be getting this game. I like Outlast and Amnesia but I'm tired of running away from everything.

Dinda

Entire game is first person, you play some dude that they haven't named yet, who should basically be an avatar.

This is not Resident Evil. And no, i'm not an Action Resident Evil Fan, but this is bullshit.

And if the whole game is playable in VR, i expect it all to be really slow, Amnesia like.....

Honey Bunny

I've found a neat trick into playing this game early if the demo isn't showing up on psn for you:

Buy one of the thousand other first person spooky walkey games on psn or steam

Entire game is first person. You are not a RE superhero character, just another person. All takes place in a plantation estate. Can play all in VR.

giphy.gif

This thread is honestly proving that there is nothing Capcom can do to please the fanbase it's accrued over 20 years simply because Resident Evil is something different to everyone. May as well strike out in a new direction.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
Do you consider such games as Horizon and Gears of War indie titles as well?

What? I'm just saying this is a low budget to sell VR game and I don't have to play the full game to see that. It's obvious from the trailer.

border

Sony and Capcom decided to show how the games are wildly different, is it really so confusing that fans of the previous games would be repulsed by a showcase of how these games are not like the previous games?

Other than the change in setting, I don't see what's going to be so wildly different about God of War.

And as for Resident Evil, the series has already had 2 huge directional changes. RE6 proved that they could not go any further with their 3rd person shooter setup so a change was in order anyway. If you thought they were going to switch back to RE1-3 style you were kidding yourself anyway.

9QQLYmd.gif

You've had your 3 mainline games, just like I did before the unfortunate change to action (bar 4). It's time to evolve again.

You see the problem is IMHO the game is devolving.

Back in the day RE4 came out with the over the shoulder viewpoint, Capcom was creating something that isn't common and kicked off the over the shoulder revolution that even the new God of War seems to borrow.

Now we have them cater to the likes of Amnesia, Outlast etc... This is like DmC all over again. They used to be masters of HnS and now picking the most common denominator. Its a business after all.

I am going to give a shot at this demo and marketing vids before I make the final call, but this sure doesn't look like Resident Evil to me.

I...I like what I see.

But I love the quirky puzzles/exploration aspect of the first two RE games. This seems almost like a logical evolution of that. Yeah, Amnesia and Outlast sort of did this first, but htis is like..those crossed with RE feels.

I get the feeling that's exactly what happened.

RE6 was the biggest game they ever made in regards to budget and developmental staff, but despite ending up as their 2nd best selling title ever it still didn't come close to meeting their expectations.

It really seems like they threw in the towel and are willing to let RE become a niche low-budget franchise instead of the competitive AAA series it has always been. Such a shame.

What? I'm just saying this is a low budget to sell VR game and I don't have to play the full game to see that. It's obvious from the trailer.

You're not making any sense though. Whatever you're calling this game, I don't think it's obvious from the trailer like you make it out to be. What does 'low budget to sell VR' game even mean? that they're just shitting out this game so they have a VR killer app? where are you getting that from? I get reasoning that this is going to be a lower budget game than RE6 but that's not necessarily a detriment.

Sesha

Bolds well for DMC5!

They should have more money now, though. Their market cap is up 150% of what it was 2 years ago, and they project spending $275m on R&D this fiscal year alone, an increase over previous years.

But still, RE7's gameplay aside, which I'm not very invested in either way, I'm starting to fear for DMC5.

I'm betting on they started and then scrapped. More than likely due to phanta Rhei

That seems possible.

If Panta Rhei truly is a wash, then God I really hope DMC5 is on UE4.

Top Bottom