• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Its ballsy, I'll say that. Just throwing away the entire franchise chronology, the characters, the game design...everything. For a cheap lookin' Amenisia clone.

Wow

I think its great, they can fully focus on the RE2 remake and leave that for the characters we know and love. I am sure somewhere along the line they will slip in the old characters again.

ZangBa

Thought it was just a shitty P.T ripoff until I saw the title, I was actually surprised. P.T wasn't my thing, I honestly hated it and found it incredibly tedious and boring. I hope this is nothing like it.

Its ballsy, I'll say that. Just throwing away the entire franchise chronology, the characters, the game design...everything. For a cheap lookin' Amenisia clone.

Wow

It's Resident Evil 7. They're not throwing away any of that. In fact, the Capcom rep said the trailer--and presumably, demo--is filled with nods/references to past games. He explicitly said he is looking forward to the analysis videos that are going to come from it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's campy instead of pure horror and always has the surrounding context of being a capable agent so "action" means a certain level of combat agency and situation management that is unlike the "action" of real horror games. It also generally leads to particular special gameplay events and things through the plot that are cool and completely unlike horror movies.

The style is also not gritty photorealism. RE has always has its own graphic style. The characters are CG representations of Capcom's anime-inspired character art and the setting fits to the characters. The distinction between very detailed/atmospheric CG and photorealism is not just a matter of technical limitation. Ways of managing details, atmosphere, color palette and more goes into doing that. Other games that came out near RE releases went more for realism and you can compare to those to understand the difference. Would you say Tekken is going for realism? Not really. It is a similar thing with RE... at least until now.

Watching the stream it looks like absolute trash and nothing close to Resident Evil.

100% absolutely into this. Very excited for the new direction.

People who are upset that it's not similar to 5 and 6, this is how many fans of the PS1 games felt after 3/CV. You have every right to be upset/not play it, but the series has changed numerous times in very drastic ways.

Try not to take out any frustrations on people who are enjoying the next change for the franchise.

banktree

Banned
Looks interesting, though it kinda has the look of "Hey, they liked PT! Lets make PT! And then put the RE name on it to get that market too! Genius!"

Hopefully they leave off the Umbrella and just call it a straight reboot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Trailer looked good but the demo people are streaming....looks bad.
No wonder it's out so soon.

Seyavesh

Downloaded it from the Japanese store. Just finished. Don't judge it just yet, there's a major twist at the end of the demo. This is VERY much Resident Evil.

oh baby
i'm gonna call it now:
the char you're playing as dies and it changes over to a known char aka chris redfield and as i predicted the game becomes the first person equivalent of a permanent berserker pack

Sesha

It might be they're just trying to do the PT thing with the demo, and the actual game is very different. Because the demo is basically just PT as done by Capcom.

With the rereleases of REmake, RE0, and the RE2 remaske around the corner, I was expecting this to be closer to those games instead of a first person horror title where you play an avatar. I'm still excited nonetheless.

I expected it to still be third person action like RE456, but dialed back in the dumb Michael Bay/CoD/Gears sense, and more inspired by Tomb Raider and The Last of Us, with slightly more horror. This is way, way beyond what me or anyone else could have imagined.

Low budget? Really?

Lower budget than PT, at least. Graphically it looks below that game.

Manu

Wow

But they're not doing that, it's still RE7. It's in continuity and chronologically after RE6.

It's Resident Evil 7. They're not throwing away any of that. In fact, the Capcom rep said the trailer--and presumably, demo--is filled with nods/references to past games. He explicitly said he is looking forward to the analysis videos that are going to come from it.

Capcom-Unity confirms it's set after RE6 and will be plotted accordingly.

Slaythe

dmc5, a point and click adventure game in a spooky castle

"finally, the series is going back to it's roots!"

Imagine how great that could be though. Detective Dante doing some actual investigating, having some dialog trees and stuff. Just add combat for bosses. Done.

kc44135

Downloaded it from the Japanese store. Just finished. Don't judge it just yet, there's a major twist at the end of the demo. This is VERY much Resident Evil.

Could you tell those of us who want to know the twist using spoiler tags? It doesn't look like we're getting the demo for awhile.

oh boy, cant wait to read notes mentioning all the old characters we liked!

Capcom cant be serious with this shit. This is their biggest franchise. There's no way in hell this sells even half of what RE5 and RE6 sold.

Im just stunned.

Scotia

Banned
I would be fine with this if it wasn't first-person. It kinda kills it for me. Doesn't feel like Resi at all. Like, I just can't imagine this game being set in the same universe as 4 or 2 etc. It's too drastic if a change :/

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Can you please post the twist in spoiler tags for those who can't play it any time soon.

Lol @ all people who are calling RE 6 for killing the IP.

RE 5 has sold 7 million and RE 6 is not far behind with 6.5 million. Another fact is that RE 6 opened to around 4 million or so and then had the legs to managed 2.5 million more.

Capcom will be lucky enough to sell 2 million copies of this "Resident Evil". On the plus side, atleast the budget will be cheap.

I don't want to know anything about the demo yet until I play it, let's not go crazy until we play it. Can it be a damn boring walking horror game, yes. If it is then let's trash it as RE should not be a hiding walking horror game. It NEEDS guns, it needs monsters, items and puzzles. I have hope it will still be RE just a lot lot less action.

RE needed to change, the RE4 formula is done, I am glad they are switching up again. I hate First person normally but it being VR makes up for it. I have a rift, this will be huge for it. Going to be THE VR game. And that's cool. That's cutting edge.

Look we still have RE2make, that will be RE. Let's try this out first before shitting on it.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
You're not making any sense though. Whatever you're calling this game, I don't think it's obvious from the trailer like you make it out to be. What does 'low budget to sell VR' game even mean? that they're just shitting out this game so they have a VR killer app? where are you getting that from? I get reasoning that this is going to be a lower budget game than RE6 but that's not necessarily a detriment.

This just confirmed it.

Live on YouTube right now!

Entire game is first person. You are not a RE superhero character, just another person. All takes place in a plantation estate. Can play all in VR.

It's like they didn't even start the devolpment as a Resident Evil title. It's not a title you can play in VR. This is a VR game you can play normally and take away from the old survival horror experince from the past and the new action titles.

Seyavesh

Imagine how great that could be though. Detective Dante doing some actual investigating, having some dialog trees and stuff. Just add combat for bosses. Done.

i honestly cannot imagine dante doing any detective work at all
like, at all

not a single incarnation of him, even 2

A chapter in the series that looks like P.T. and plays like Isolation?

Sure. Why not. The series has been pretty much every-fucking-thing-else up to this point. Why not this, too?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Capcom cant be serious with this shit. This is their biggest franchise. There's no way in hell this sells even half of what RE5 and RE6 sold.

Im just stunned.

Well, Capcom did release SF5 in a hilarious state.

This company always manages to be surprising.

Beth Cyra

100% absolutely into this. Very excited for the new direction.

People who are upset that it's not similar to 5 and 6, this is how many fans of the PS1 games felt after 3/CV. You have every right to be upset/not play it, but the series has changed numerous times in very drastic ways.

Try not to take out any frustrations on people who are enjoying the next change for the franchise.
Right now it's just as much people calling out those disappointed saying they are wrong for liking 5/6 and saying this is disappointing as it is people attack those liking the change.

More so the former with people saying how happy they are 6 style is dead.

Im just stunned.

It can't be worse than RE6, at least. Take solace in that fact.

Does anyone think that all the praise of PT influenced this change in direction?

Maybe that and reception from conventions to The Kitchen. I played it almost a year ago and it blew me away and gave my feelings on it back to them. They probably saw the way that demo in VR was horrifying people and knew they had a success on their hands

Top Bottom