• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Bolds well for DMC5!

giphy.gif

Lime

oh boy, cant wait to read notes mentioning all the old characters we liked!

Capcom cant be serious with this shit. This is their biggest franchise. There's no way in hell this sells even half of what RE5 and RE6 sold.

Im just stunned.

I imagine this was the best option because of production issues with Pantha Rhei and development troubles at Capcom this generation.

It doesn't look like Capcom to experiment this much (although I find it refreshing and interestin), so I think production contexts are the important factors in this sudden change. I don't think it's purely a creative choice.

It's like they didn't even start the devolpment as a Resident Evil title. It's not a title you can play in VR. This is a VR game you can play normally and take away from the old survival horror experince from the past and the new action titles.

Umm, then it's a typical game that you can play in VR. Have you actually seen even one game that was actually designed specifically for VR? If this were a truly VR-centric game through and through, then there'd be no playing it with a pad and a screen, period.

DOWN

Banned
This was the best possible move the franchise could make. COMPLETELY change up the formula. Similar to GOW, smart move.
God of War changed setting and has kept the same character and style. Nothing like this situation. Resident Evil has a famous identity and this game doesn't resemble it. It looks like other very different horror games.

oh boy, cant wait to read notes mentioning all the old characters we liked!

Capcom cant be serious with this shit. This is their biggest franchise. There's no way in hell this sells even half of what RE5 and RE6 sold.

Im just stunned.

Probably cost much less than their budgets, so hey! Win/win.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Maybe that and reception from conventions to The Kitchen. I played it almost a year ago and it blew me away and gave my feelings on it back to them. They probably saw the way that demo in VR was horrifying people and knew they had a success on their hands

Never heard of the kitchen.

DOWN

Banned
Umm, then it's a typical game that you can play in VR. Have you seen even one game that was actually designed specifically for VR?
There's tons of games made only for VR and staying only VR. RE7 is absolutely a VR concept that has morphed into a full game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Neogaf be like:

PT BEST GAME EVAH

RE7 is just like PT, RE7 is SH**

lol

I can't wait to play this, would be nice if they tossed the demo up

resident evil 4 got the same backlash, I will start freezing some crow for them to eat in January :)

You and me both. I've got an extra freezer in the garage. Lol gonna be good. This looks amazing. Esp in VR! Loads haven't experienced VR yet and for those who have... Well we know we'll probably need to stock up on fresh underwear. Excited as fuck!

Instro

Low budget? Really?

I'm just being honest about what I saw. It seemed pretty clear. Maybe that's just the demo, but it assuredly is them trying to reverse course on how much they have been spending on these games. Given that it started as a VR demo, I'm assuming they saw an opening to expand on it and use the RE name to generate sales/enthusiasm, making a high profit title.

I imagine this was the best option because of production issues with Pantha Rhei and development troubles at Capcom this generation

That's my theory, too. Panty Raid was a flop, they were confused about what direction to take the series, they saw all these First person horror games and thought, "Shit, we could probably do that on the cheap in a year or two. Lets do it!"

I'm tired of watching this dude fail

It's late, if someone has a link to the ending I would love to see it, post it in spoilers or PM it if anyone has it

While I glad that it getting a soft reboot of sort, I hope it isn't a completely hide and seek from monster game, like amnesia.

I doubt it's a soft reboot, they even said it takes place after RE6.

VinFTW

Wait, so, RE7 is a first person game?

Fuck. I thought that was just VR mode.

No 3rd person classic view? Are there even guns?

Arklite

People asked for a reboot and they reboot the fuck out of it to a new perspective. It's worth seeing where this goes, the demo streams look intriguing.

Oeufcoque

Banned
It looks very good to me so far. There's an inventory system, there's puzzles (nothing too complex in the demo, hopefully something good in the full game), the horror vibe is heavy, the game takes place in a single large location, there's creepy notes left by some insane person... that's all pretty RE.

I'm just fretting the lack of combat. As far as horror games go, even RE1 was pretty heavy on the military/SWAT angle. If I don't get to shoot a rocket at the final boss, that's crossing the line away from Resident Evil.

I feel the exact same way, I like everything about it except the no combat. It's not RE if I can't have at least a gun to defend myself.

Top Bottom