• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

I think they wanted to make an $8 million budget game instead of an $80 million budget game and felt going with something similar to PT would be the most successful at that while still moving units.
Do you think they can be successful in achieving their 4 million target with what they have shown so far?

Seyavesh

From earlier:
Again, if this is a look back at the beginning (through the prism of P.T.) then I wonder if the films they're looking backwards to aren't Romero's, but Hooper's.
What if Resident Evil VII decided to go back to basics, but those basics are rooted in Texas Chainsaw Massacre instead of Night of the Living Dead?

honestly classic RE takes more cues from aliens tonally than it does either of those movies but the things you listed are seem so superficial that they could be liberally applied to just about any horror game whatsoever to the point of where i feel like your comparison is pretty lost in general.

the demo is a pretty clear indicator of the tone they're communicating and it's most certainly in vein of the PT style atmospheric jumpscare stuff that takes tonal roots from more modern stuff like the paranormal activity series rather than classic horror movies. if you're wont in comparing it to old movies i'd even go as far to say that the tone shares more qualities with the blair witch project over any classic horror movie, as the first person and large focus on environmental detail is pretty key in that film vs. any classic 80s/early 90s horror stuff- much of that shlock horror that all RE channels follows the bizarre camp and energy that those movies also generate

edit:
i feel like there's this strange assumption that RE was always a self-serious super terrifying game designed to frighten people in the same way that say, 'the exorcist' did when it has always been very much in that action-horroresque tone of the struggle for survival against an overwhelming force, whether that be one monster or one hundred. something more like 'terminator' or 'alien', with the protagonists having a high degree of competency and the liberty to take action into their own hands.
i attribute it to the marketing angle they took with the games given the slogan and all, but it's hard to say since it's such a prevalent thing. i really don't know where it comes from given the contents of the games themselves.

Jawmuncher

Do you think they can be successful in achieving their 4 million target with what they have shown so far?

Honestly I think they can. Just due to name and it coming out during a dry time for releases. Don't be surprised to see them push heavy marketing on YouTubers for sales as well.

I really want to see if there is more hidden stuff. No idea what to do with the finger and there is a locked drawer in the kitchen that is bugging me.

What a piece of shit. Ir hurts seeing the franchise taking this turn.

What is all this nonsense about a return to horror roots? lol I mean, sure the old games had some tense spooky atmosphere at times, but from the very first game, you were defeating final bosses with fucking rocket launchers. This type of horror isn't Resident Evil's roots.

My thoughts exactly. This is just a different version of Outcast and all those first person horror games that focus on cheap scares and poor lightning.

Are they going to make an actual Resident Evil game or is it just going to be a PT ripoff?

This is confusing.

Seeing as how the title 'Resident Evil' is associated with inventing the term 'survival horror' but actual gameplay has covered 3D isometric perspective, 3rd person shooter, light-gun rail shooter, first-person shooter, and I'm not sure what else, you're going to have a real tough time telling me exactly what an actual Resident Evil game is.

It was a flawed gem. A sequel with better writing, a more stable engine, better movement, improved music and less action (think mediocre chapters like 11 and 12) would easily be one of the best horror games ever.

giphy.gif

Exactly what I thought of Evil Within. I was very dissapointed when Bethesda didn't even hint about it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I guess we have 3 types of RE fans now:

- the fans that love tank controls and "genuine RE horror experience"
- the fans that love 3rd person shooting and leon and chris doing crazy stuff
- the fans that love PT and "immersive horror"

Bishop89

Im still looking forward to this.
I dont have that kind of diehard attachment to the franchise. I enjoyed Re5 after all :p lol

This MAY be a teaser which doesnt show how the final game will be.

Was P.T a.k.a silent hills going to end up first person?

Watched a stream of the demo. Not really impressed. I loved Outlast and Alien Isolation, so horror games that focus on hiding are fine with me, but
this demo doesn't seem to do that? There's no stalker enemy you have to avoid, like Nemesis from RE3 or the Alien from Isolation.

The man that comes up to you and attacks you seems scripted, in that he appears to grab you regardless of what room you're in after a certain amount of time has passed. He's never seen walking around the halls and therefore you don't even have to hide from him. He gets you no matter what eventually, from what I've seen (I could be wrong - the playthroughs appear to vary randomly each time, and he might have just not appeared in these particular ones). If you're going to omit hiding mechanics, then you have to at least have combat to make up for it. But this demo doesn't have that either. No hide-and-seek, no combat - what is the point then?

This is probably just a really bad demo that doesn't reflect what the actual game will be like. I'm reading that the actual game will have combat, and if so, they should have really included that somehow in this demo. At the moment it just feels like a waking simulator without any hiding or combat gameplay.

I'll agree that this feels and looks nothing like Resident Evil. It really should have been a spinoff or a new IP. I'll still give the full game a chance though. I've been pleasantly surprised plenty of times before.

Honestly I think they can. Just due to name and it coming out during a dry time for releases. Don't be surprised to see them push heavy marketing on YouTubers for sales as well.
Resident Evil sales didn't explode until they switched to the third person over the shoulder camera of Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5-6 are the best selling in the series and since we already had first person Resident Evil shooters, which didn't do any great compared to the third person counterparts, I don't see this one doing any better and struggling to reach 2 million.

Jawmuncher

Capcom going for the most divided fanbase award

There's a fourth type:

- the fans who can adapt to all three

Like me!

Still no Demo in NA?

Nope, it's driving me nuts. I'm really tempted to watch the entire demo on youtube but really want to play this myself first.

I gotta say that as someone that was really hoping for an RE reboot, I'm pretty satisfied with Capcom's PT approach here. I loved the concept of RE 3.5 and see a lot of potential for some of those ideas to show up here.

To those complaining about the game, especially if you've been asking for a 'return to its horror roots,' what did you want from the series?

wuth

I have always been #3- even since the first game. We all remember being kids and being completely terrified of RE and RE2, right? I like being chased, I like being lost, and I like being scared.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is like turning Quake into Ghost Recon or Final Fantasy into Baldur's Gate.

Well, for #1 would help balance things out a bit if Outbreak HD is announced like it's Rumored to be.

RE4, 5 and 6 coming out again this year, so I guess this PT style is to appeal to all the groups.

There's a fourth type:

Like me!
I've enjoyed both of Resident Evil's main gameplay styles and many of the spinoffs. I am open to giving this new foray a chance but I really need to be sold on it. The idea of seeing some grotesque BOWs lovingly rendered from a first person perspective does sound quite enticing though and I will be happy to bid farewell to co-op gameplay.

Shauni

Is that their official forecast?

Jesus. Capcom literally gave up on the entire series. 4 million is less than half of what they expected RE6 to sell.

And RE6 didn't sell what they expected, despite selling very well. And lol, yes, they have totally given up on a series in which they have released multiple projects of in the last several years and are still planning to release projects for. Totally given up.

Totally.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil sales didn't explode until they switched to the third person over the shoulder camera of Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5-6 are the best selling in the series and since we already had first person Resident Evil shooters, which didn't do any great compared to the third person counterparts, I don't see this one doing any better and struggling to reach 2 million.

It's really going to depend on marketing. Since outside GAF most RE6 complaints were just "go back to being like RE4". So such a shift like this is definitely odd. Would be interesting if the 2 million title was DR4 and the 2 million was RE7 lol

There's a fourth fan:

Like me!

Yeah, it is actually really nice to be someone who likes every mainline RE thus far. I'm sure I will like the full version of this even though the demo is slightly underwhelming.

The fact that there is an attack button and aim-assist option leads me to believe there must be some combat, just curious how it pans out. Alien: Isolation was my favourite game of that year so that sort of approach could be cool.

Top Bottom