• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

pupcoffee

A demo released right after a conference.
A spooky house in first-person.
Rumours of a "real" ending.

This thing wants to go viral like P.T. did. Capcom doesn't care about Resident Evil's "roots", lol, it cares about Silent Hills because that was recent and successfully done.

I can't wait to get home and try this out! I hope it gets good reviews, sells like hotcakes and shows Konami what kind of profits they missed out on.

Soulflarz

Banned
on a more serious note I'll go ask wario how long he's stalking this
might as well just keep his twitter up and not think about it and go do something mildly productive with your night

edit: hes done
rip

Ninjimbo

This is what happens when you tell Capcom Leon had the best campaign of RE6. They probably thought you meant the first 20 minutes where you prevent you from using 80% of the mechanics. It was Chris you fools!
Reading this in Wesker's voice is almost enough to make my night.

Here are my thoughts as an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

Based on the trailer, this looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

Even with the two extremes of REmake and RE6, there was still some common thread that made them both recognizably "Resident Evil." Maybe it's the characters, or the soap opera drama, or the heightened reality of the world. But I don't see that common thread here... whatever this is. Not in the trailer, at least.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. It was also inviting in its own way. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

It's good to hear this is set after RE6, so it's not a reboot, and they're continuing the lore. But man, everything feels wrong from what I've seen so far. And I say that as someone who has been open-minded and able to embrace every radical change the series has had until this point.

Good post. I have no problem first first person survival horror. I enjoyed alien isolation. It had fantastic visual designs and sound designs that gave it its own identity. This new resident evil doesn't have that. It feels generic. Even if it has that resident evil lore tie in the style feels wrong. And while we still have to see what happens the fact that this game is 7 months off does not inspire hope that we'll see a big change.

Kagutaba

If you are going to strip away everything that made resident evil what it was to focus on horror...

Then for fuck sake make sure your blatant PT rip-off teaser is actually scary.

What happened when you got out of the house?

Spoilers:
You get grabbed from behind by a guy who says "Welcome to The Family." and knocks you out. That's the end of the demo.

RE Storyline spoilers:
The Family was led by Derek Simmons in Resident Evil 6, and behind the actions of that game, among other events throughout the story (such as the eradication of Raccoon City), so the story seems like a continuation of that.

What they've shown is really just Resident Evil in name only.

No skill-based gameplay that we can see.

No iconic characters (on the contrary, the few characters shown look generic as heck).

No compelling creature designs (enough with the creepy lil' Grunge girls already, Japan!)

No style, no humor, no levity; no soap opera drama; no super-heroics

The only things that are recognizably "RE" is the promise of a location that might have a Spencer Estate-like sense of intimacy... and a shotgun
Preach.

Bishop89

Just finished the demo.

Impressions:
+Atmosphere is great
+Controls are fine
+Sound is great

-This doesn't feel like a RE game. The actual demo is pretty similar to P.T.
-The game is too dark, at least the section in the demo was
at the end when you open the door and see a glimpse of the daylight outside, its much much better

Honestly if this didn't have the RE name, it would be a really great own game. But from what I played, there isn't really anything RE about it. At least it has an inventory system ;)

Some screens I took
gkDGvMq.jpg

qjGdmwf.jpg

jf4vw5t.jpg

I don't even know what a magic bullet does, I'm guessing something healthy like smoothies, google says so.

and besides, a mod already told me my tag when he returns is going to be 'Member-kun' >_>

more importantly can we get back to talking about how metropolis coffee™ is the best brand to help you survive your RE7 demo wait

Inb4 detective gaf verification.
I'm more partial to Klatch Coffee but they're local to my area and have some kickass coffee for espresso.

Lernaean

Banned
What they've shown is really just Resident Evil in name only.

No skill-based gameplay that we can see.

No iconic characters (on the contrary, the few characters shown look generic as heck).

No compelling creature designs (enough with the creepy lil' Grunge girls already, Japan!)

No style, no humor, no levity; no soap opera drama; no super-heroics

The only things that are recognizably "RE" is the promise of a location that might have a Spencer Estate-like sense of intimacy... and a shotgun

JayEH

A demo released right after a conference.
A spooky house in first-person.
Rumours of a "real" ending.

This thing wants to go viral like P.T. did. Capcom doesn't care about Resident Evil's "roots", lol, it cares about Silent Hills because that was recent and successfully done.

They are trend chasers now. So sad.

Shauni

Spoilers:
You get grabbed from behind by a guy who says "Welcome to The Family." and knocks you out. That's the end of the demo.

RE Storyline spoilers:
The Family was led by Derek Simmons in Resident Evil 6, and behind the actions of that game, among other events throughout the story (such as the eradication of Raccoon City), so the story seems like a continuation of that.

Ah, I'm aware of that. Seems people are holding out that there's
Another ending for doing something successful, since you die after this, correct? Maybe there's not then

Spoilers:

RE Storyline spoilers:
Pretty sure that's the fail state

wuth

I'm genuinely confused. I thought that a return to horror roots would excite the core fans.

Is it that RE is actually just a power fantasy about shooting monsters under the imaginary duress of running out of bullets? Or is it just that we are now hating on hide and scare games because they're currently the flavor of the month?

Just finished the demo.

Impressions:
+Atmosphere is great
+Controls are fine
+Sound is great

at the end when you open the door and see a glimpse of the daylight outside, its much much better

Honestly if this didn't have the RE name, it would be a really great own game. But from what I played, there isn't really anything RE about it. At least it has an inventory system ;)

Some screens I took

fuck

Jawmuncher

Just finished the demo.

Impressions:
+Atmosphere is great
+Controls are fine
+Sound is great

Some screens I took
That's something we all wanted to hear for a 7th entry in a franchise

I'm genuinely confused. I thought that a return to horror roots would excite the core fans.

Is it that RE is actually just a power fantasy about shooting monsters under the imaginary duress of running out of bullets? Or is it just that we are not hating on hide and scare games because they're currently the flavor of the month?

I feel like people who keep talking about this being a return to the horror roots of the series have never played an RE game before. This could be a good game but nothing about the demo makes me think of RE.

Went upstairs during the
taping of the tv show bit. The dolls were gone and there is a set of headphones on the table instead.

Has PT made me feel like every little detail means something?

Monocle

I can't say anything about the gameplay, but I loved the trailer. Those awesome visuals and creepy music really appeal to me.

This probably should have been a new property rather than a mainline RE game though, as there's no clear connection to the old ones in any sense, at least as far as I can see.

fr0st

Banned
Got out of the house, there's probably a lot more to do in there (I didn't get the fuse), so when I get time I'll probably play around with it some more. It was short but it felt like an early RE game exploration sequence.
Wait how did you not get killed when you went out of the house?
Did you use the mannequin finger?
All play through I've seen people die after going outside or answering the phone.

Everything I've seen and read doesn't look like a resident evil I want or any fan of recent RE games want. Obviously that's a generalization but looking at people's reactions it seems to be true.

Went upstairs during the
taping of the tv show bit. The dolls were gone and there is a set of headphones on the table instead.

The phone call makes me think the "memories" of the VHS Tape can be fucked with, people might not be fucking with them enough.

Shauni

Is it that RE is actually just a power fantasy about shooting monsters under the imaginary duress of running out of bullets? Or is it just that we are now hating on hide and scare games because they're currently the flavor of the month?

I'm growing more and more convinced that people who heralded this as a 'return to RE's roots' have either never played an old school RE game in their life, or at some point, mixed up RE with Silent Hill, or infused them as one and the same thinking they were the exact same games.

Here are my thoughts as an RE superfan that has liked everything in the series up to this point:

Based on the trailer, this looks like a poor man's PT (yes, despite the big budget). While a PT knockoff would be welcome under any other circumstance, in this case it just doesn't feel like... well, like Resident Evil.

Even with the two extremes of REmake and RE6, there was still some common thread that made them both recognizably "Resident Evil." Maybe it's the characters, or the soap opera drama, or the heightened reality of the world. But I don't see that common thread here... whatever this is. Not in the trailer, at least.

That's the thing: Some welcome this as a "return to horror," but old-school RE was never this sort of scary. It was also campy and cheesy. It also had heart. It was also inviting in its own way. This looks closer in spirit to Slender, to Amnesia, to PT than it does anything Resident Evil.

It's good to hear this is set after RE6, so it's not a reboot, and they're continuing the lore. But man, everything feels wrong from what I've seen so far. And I say that as someone who has been open-minded and able to embrace every radical change the series has had until this point.

It was also more akin towards an adventure game with a godly soundtrack. It's a shame but I'd take this than an action game any day. However, wish it was just a straight up reboot. It feels as though Capcom is testing the waters with this one? Who knows, it could also be a misleading thing like P.T.

Glad we're getting REmake 2 atleast, in any case.

Sesha

Went upstairs during the

One of the designers on P.T. worked on this, so it's possible you're not being paranoid.

It's a PT guys. Remember? Playable Teaser. Obviously RE7 will still be a RE game.

They already said the whole game will be in first person style.

Speaking of Silent Hills though, one thing I was always confused about, was that game going to be completely first person like PT was? I don't see why they would go through the trouble of mocapping Norman Reedus if you would never see the character model.

Not that it really matters now.

Wait how did you not get killed when you went out of the house?
Did you use the mannequin finger?
All play through I've seen people die after going outside or answering the phone.

Should've clarified, I died after leaving the house. Only played through it once, didn't really spend too much time looking around.

Is it that RE is actually just a power fantasy about shooting monsters under the imaginary duress of running out of bullets? Or is it just that we are not hating on hide and scare games because they're currently the flavor of the month?

Some people genuinely enjoy the classic gameplay of Resident Evil. Just because this new game is ostensibly a more horror focused game than recent entries doesn't mean people have to instantly like it even if it isn't returning to the classic gameplay they enjoyed. And obviously there are also people who enjoyed those newer entries. Not to mention people who are more into the series for its long-running lore, characters and the general campy tone of the series.

Is it that hard to believe not everyone would want to see this series turned into yet another first person horror game?

Blueblur1

I can't say anything about the gameplay, but I loved the trailer. Those awesome visuals and creepy music really appeal to me.

This probably should have been a new property rather than a mainline RE game though, as there's no clear connection to the old ones in any sense, at least as far as I can see.
There's a photograph of a helicopter with the Umbrella logo on it in the demo.

Concept17

Ugggghh

It's Resident Evil. The series was in dire need of a new direction, more based in the horror genre it helped build back during the PS1 era. This is 1000x better than just about any other direction.

Pooya

Nice of Capcom to let five college student modders make the next Resident Evil game.

This feels like some indie horror game we saw like a dozen of in the PC gaming show. Not to say those games are bad or anything but that this is freaking RE7 but sure as hell doesn't feel like it, first person or not, it's not there... and they even brag about the realistic visuals! it looks awful.

antitrop

It was a flawed gem. A sequel with better writing, a more stable engine, better movement, improved music and less action (think mediocre chapters like 11 and 12) would easily be one of the best horror games ever.

That's pretty much exactly how I felt about The Evil Within.

Top Bottom