• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

J-Roderton

Well, this is not what I was expecting at all. I'll have to watch a playthrough of this since I don't have a way to play it. The setting seems pretty killer.

Kuraudo

Banned
I doubt the fans of RE123CV are jumping for joy either. If you really think this is the same brand of horror / the same brand of game as any of the stuff we've ever played in the series gone by (barring Survivor, and even then that's a stretch) then I think you need to visit a neurologist.

Resident Evil is my favourite series and I'm a fan of all the mainline titles bar Zero and 6. I'm absolutely ecstatic about this direction. The demo gave me the same feeling of walking into the unknown as RE1, RE2 and RE4 did, and I can't wait to piece together what's going on and how it fits in with previous games. The reinvention of RE4 was absolutely needed when it happened, and something similar was needed after the reception of RE6. I can't wait to see the full game.

But clearly I'm mentally ill for feeling this way :/

N.Grim

Creepy big house setting, main characters who don't know what's going on, focus on exploration and not in "shoot everything in the face" like RE4 onwards, horror being the actual focus of the game instead of some expendable backdrop to come up with weird monsters to shoot at, etc.

RE 4, 5 and 6 are pure shooters, and while I liked 4 and 5 I more than welcome this change. There are plenty of shooters out there anyways.

We have more first person "horror" than shooters like RE4, we don't have game like the old RE, that's for sure.

synce

Resident Evil is my favourite series and I'm a fan of all the mainline titles bar Zero and 6. I'm absolutely ecstatic about this direction. The demo gave me the same feeling of walking into the unknown as RE1, RE2 and RE4 did, and I can't wait to piece together what's going on and how it fits in with previous games. The reinvention of RE4 was absolutely needed when it happened, and something similar was needed after the reception of RE6. I can't wait to see the full game.

Welp I can say that I'm also a huge fan of the early REs and not at all ecstatic about this. It's a step up from 6 to be sure, but that's not saying much

Nah, I agree. I'm fine with them taking such a drastic change but there are certain things like ammo/health conservation and inventory management that I hope show up in the full thing. Those things to me have always been a very core gameplay mechanic in the series that I don't want to lose.

Nemesis_

I think you're purposefully avoiding my thesis. This is not the same BRAND of horror that the previous Resident Evil games are, which is what our mutual friend previously was implying.

I agree with you in terms of the story, but that's really where most of my interest is. If it just becomes a PT / Outlast clone with a slightly higher budget they can really shove it. As I said previously, if I wanted a Clock Tower-esque game, I would play Clock Tower. I wouldn't look to Resident Evil for that experience.

I would love to be wrong about everything.

It's so hard, I really shouldn't be judging based on a 60 minute (less than that, really) demo but it's hard not to engage in discussion about the game.

mekes

Big RE fan but in the group that never liked 5 or 6 that much. Its so different. I'm not sure I'd want to play it without PSVR as I imagine that's the package deal that lets you get the most out of what is in the game. The game itself I cut some extra slack because of its name, I am intrigued but I am not sold. I don't think I would pick it up without owning the headset first.

_Ryo_

My main gripe is there's no third person mode. VR can work in third person and I find it hard to immerse myself in first person, as weird as that sounds. When I am looking at characters and se their reactions and facial expressions and such, I emphasize with them more. So yeah, should be an option for both third and first person, which thankfully someone will probably mod into the PC version.

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
I think you're purposefully avoiding my thesis. This is not the same BRAND of horror that the previous Resident Evil games are, which is what our mutual friend previously was implying.

I agree with you in terms of the story, but that's really where most of my interest is. If it just becomes a PT / Outlast clone with a slightly higher budget they can really shove it. As I said previously, if I wanted a Clock Tower-esque game, I would play Clock Tower. I wouldn't look to Resident Evil for that experience.

I would love to be wrong about everything.

It's so hard, I really shouldn't be judging based on a 60 minute (less than that, really) demo but it's hard not to engage in discussion about the game.

Today the game was unveiled. You all have the chance of messing around in the teaser demo. The final game is not years away, only few months. Patience guys. :)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ark Thompson and Bruce McGivern say hello.

We also have no idea who this game's protagonists are. The documentary crew may just be introductory characters for a prologue.
I was talking about main entries, i don't exclude that you could be right about the crew, but just... why? Capcom was never shy about those characters, if they were there capcom would have showed them to get even more hype, instead this really feels like a sort of reboot, even the logo suggest that with the 7 made "VII" and hidden among the letters so the title reads as "Resident Evil".

Kinsei

Banned
I also doubt the game will be anything like this, Capcom wouldn't project 4 millions sales for a walking simulator.

There is a weapon in the demo and there is aim assist in the options. It's not a "walking simulator", the demo just happens to be before you get a gun.

I went in blind and had jesus it was tense. I really thought this was Silent Hills during E3 and I still can't quite believe that its Resident Evil, I'm not getting any RE vibes at all. It was a solid demo though, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time gripping the controller. I don't even want to go and explore the house further, too much for me.

I was talking about main entries, i don't exclude that you could be right about the crew, but just... why? Capcom was never shy about those characters, if they were there capcom would have showed them to get even more hype, instead this really feels like a sort of reboot, even the logo suggest that with the 7 made "VII" and hidden among the letters so the title reads as "Resident Evil".

Nah. This game involves the Family from RE6. It's not a full reboot.

Axial

Nice, really liking what I see so far. A welcome change from the gimmicky shooter mechanics/gunplay of the recent games.

News Bot

Banned
There is a weapon in the demo and there is aim assist in the options. It's not a "walking simulator", the demo just happens to be before you get a gun.

Shotgun even gets a whole shot to itself in the trailer.

GgZjco3.jpg

AHA-Lambda

ok so there are multiple endings?

I got
knocked out at the back door by some guy saying "welcome to the family"
Is this a bad ending I guess? I didn't even explore the upstairs yet so i'm going right back in

EDIT: hmm not much up there actually, wonder where this axe and fuse people mention are then, I didn't get them =/

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nah. This game involves the Family from RE6. It's not a full reboot.

That's why i said "sort of" reboot, it's clear that capcom is trying to radically change the direction, but evidently for some reason capcom just doesn't want(or can't) cut with the past.

News Bot

Banned
Guys. This is a prequel. Right? It has to be.

"Beginning Hour" certainly indicates as much, but it already takes place June 2017. It's doubtful it takes place that much prior to the full game.

I don't like the sound of the DLC stories.

That's why i said "sort of" reboot, it's clear that capcom is trying to radically change the direction, but evidently for some reason capcom just doesn't want(or can't) cut with the past.

The BIO universe is one of the more consistent in the industry. It has twenty years of rich mythology to draw from. There's not a single reason to throw it away, especially when you prove good stories can still come out of it (Heavenly Island, The Stage).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its just a teaser. The first teaser for the latest RE title (RE Revelations 2) feature an unknown little girl running across a buffet hallway too. The first teaser for Resident Evil 5 feature Chris Redfield in an empty bright street too with no enemies.

I dont see why there is a need for "why" here. They merely hold back information to drip release them up until game release for hype purpose.

"Beginning Hour" certainly indicates as much, but it already takes place June 2017. It's doubtful it takes place that much prior to the full game.

I don't like the sound of the DLC stories.
Nope. The game takes place during or after 2017.

In the trailer, it shows "Before Kitchen", and the word Kitchen flashes to "1" in Red letters similar to 7 (or VII) flashes in Red. Seems to me they're saying this is "Before RE1". Could be a soft reboot with dates reset for the modern era?

I think this is smart as it gives the people who are not necessarily onboard with this style of game to play it and see how it ties into the overall story.

Edit: Don't believe shagg's lies.

Is there no guns in it? Damn I hope there's guns. I'll probably still get it if there's not but what's RE without guns

Same thoughts; one of the ways I can get behind this is if it is basically RE1 in a first person view.

And I will be hugely disappointed if I can't blow up the final boss with an RPG.

Top Bottom