• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Fatal Error

Neo Member
So I saw
"welcome to the family" guy walking around. He was coming from the locked room beside the starting room and heading towards the kitchen.
The real ending has to be in that room.

yep, I can now reliably get
him by getting the fuse triggering the phone but not entering the room, get the axe, play the video again and get the key when you exit you will see him
, so I think it's not random.

Nemesis_

They lowered the budget(cause they had to) and at the same time they're trying to take advantage of the PT and Silent Hills thirst, since Konami killed those despite the great feedbacks they had.
To me they're doing the right thing, since they can't afford another giant AAA title like RE 6 they'll use the brand to do something smaller but more focused

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing. But the demo is pretty promising even if it's identity is really nothing like previous games. People seem to be whittling away more of the demo and discovering the ties to the story and the lore which I think might soothe the "pain" (for lack of a better word) that the fans are feeling.

I really do think that's Ada Wong's voice. If they ever carried a character over in a soft reboot I always thought it would be her.

The salt from RE456 fans is already bigger than I imagined haha. Youtube comments and some posts in this thread are delicious.

I doubt the fans of RE123CV are jumping for joy either. If you really think this is the same brand of horror / the same brand of game as any of the stuff we've ever played in the series gone by (barring Survivor, and even then that's a stretch) then I think you need to visit a neurologist.

It's more like the first three Resident Evil games, especially the first one than any of the shooters from 4 on could ever be.

I'll give you Resident Evil 1 because of the setting and the critical path but the campy horror was amped all the way up for 2 and 3 and this game is clearly not concerned with being camp

Mub!

The salt from RE456 fans is already bigger than I imagined haha. Youtube comments and some posts in this thread are delicious.

What makes you think anyone (including me) who liked 1, 2 and 3 is ecstatic about this either? They stripped everything from resident evil's identity and made it into a really shitty PT knock off.

xviper

even though i'm disappointed by the demo, i still think this is much better than WWE:RE6

so after years and years fans have been asking for Resident evil to go back to horror and when they finally did it(not right though but still) now the "fans" wants RE7 to be like that garbage WWE:RE6 ?? wtf people

reminds me of what happened with Cod, everyone wanted it to change and when it finally changed after years of copy pasting, they hated it and wanted it to go back like before

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Capcom needed Kojima and Del Toro to drop their awesome game to steal it and finally abandon the action route started with RE4...
Also characters are new right? That's good too and really needed imo, this game could be considered a reboot.

I finished the demo. No idea what to expect. Its good that its going back to survival horror.
Is there a different ending if I had the axe at the end?
This game reminds me so much of Silent Hill haha.

Harmen

This doesn't look like any RE game I remember at all, including 0-3+CV.

That said, I am definitely interested. Though I do secretly hope for a Revalations 3 with Co-Op for my b-film shooter madness that is fun to do with friends.

RevenWolf

I finished the demo. No idea what to expect. Its good that its going back to survival horror.
Is there a different ending if I had the axe at the end?
This game reminds me so much of Silent Hill haha.

People working on it, we have no clue about the
axe or finger

News Bot

Banned
Capcom needed Kojima and Del Toro to drop their awesome game to steal it and finally abandon the action route started with RE4...
Also cahracters are new right? That's good too, this game could be considered a reboot.

A story in the same series that features new characters in new locations is a really low-bar definition for "reboot."

gelf

Main thing I liked about classic Resi was the adventure game side of it, exploring a creepy mansion, examining objects, solving puzzles etc. That was something that got lost from 4 onward and at the very least is back with 7 even if its not very similar to classic RE aside from that.

Still not sold though as I'm not huge fan of first person.

So the
Phone has at LEAST 3 different messages when you answer it my most recent run netted something along the lines of "I know who you are, memories hold the truth don't let appearances deceive you"
Recorded another
I know who you are. Who are you? You have the power to choose but the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect

MilkBeard

This is absolutely nothing like the first three RE games.

Disagree. Nothing? Really?

Felt to me like it is bringing back some of the exploration/puzzles/level design from older RE.

There is a lot that's different, no doubt, but to say it's nothing like the older REs is...a lie.

Nemesis_

What's funny is PT was actually very different from classic Silent Hill.

Yeah and I felt that way about PT too. I thought that what they offered were great experiences but neither were really suitable or congruent with what the previous games in the series offered.

Disagree. Nothing? Really?

Felt to me like it is bringing back some of the exploration/puzzles/level design from older RE.

There is a lot that's different, no doubt, but to say it's nothing like the older REs is...a lie.

This reminds me of when people praise Revelations 2 for having puzzles but all you do is pick up an item and go use it somewhere else. Like it is the lowest standard for a "puzzle" I can think of.

Have people not played Outlast?
This reminds me of Outlast more than any other game, LOL.

This is my issue, I wish Outlast would remain it's own thing.

It's like Capcom want to make Clock Tower 5 instead of Resident Evil 7 - though I'll admit that call is a bit too premature.

khaaan

Loved RE4, 5, and, 6. Am happy with this.

I appreciate the fact that Capcom remains experimental with the franchise and are open to taking it in different directions. Looking forward to playing the demo.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A story in the same series that features new characters in new locations is a really low-bar definition for "reboot."

Not if the entire series had always the same characters and the new game is completely different gameplay and direction-wise ;)

even though i'm disappointed by the demo, i still think this is much better than WWE:RE6

so after years and years fans have been asking for Resident evil to go back to horror and when they finally did it(not right though but still) now the "fans" wants RE7 to be like that garbage WWE:RE6 ?? wtf people

reminds me of what happened with Cod, everyone wanted it to change and when it finally changed after years of copy pasting, they hated it and wanted it to go back like before

I personally think that there had to be some sort of middle ground between the RE4-6 trilogy style of action gameplay and the PT/Amnesia/Outlast style of survival gameplay that RE7 seems to be aping. I think that's what these people (me included) were actually hoping for.

My judgement is reserved until I see more of the game (and the supposed combat), but I'll find it very hard to get behind RE7 if they are absolutely focused on a run-and-hide style of gameplay.

Agreed. I know a large portion of GAF loves 4, but that's when the series took a turn for the worst in my opinion. It's a decent game on its own but it's a bad Resident Evil game.

Glad to read they're going in a different direction.

Agree. 7 may not be an exact successor to the originals but it is a survival horror, something that the series hasn't been since 4.

4 was a good game, but there are plenty of good third person shooters out there and very few good survival horrors, losing one to the other was so unnecessary and I'm glad that is being reversed.

Clearly this will be streamed to high heaven and a major selling point for VR so I think Capcom are likely to be rewarded with very good sales figures for this move, and hopefully that bodes well for survival horror long term.

Xater

Have people not played Outlast?
This reminds me of Outlast more than any other game, LOL.

Unlike Outlast this will probably have guns though. I can't imaging them doing RE without combat.

I am into this. I love horror games and was sad PT is not going to be a thing, This is going to scratch that itch. I have no issue with this being attached to RE, because I thought RE6 was trash and more int hat direction would not have interested me at all.

MilkBeard

Agreed. I know a large portion of GAF loves 4, but that's when the series took a turn for the worst in my opinion. It's a decent game on its own but it's a bad Resident Evil game.

Glad to read they're going in a different direction.

Agreed in a lot of ways. 4 is a great game, but it just didn't feel like Resident Evil to me back when I played it.

Majin Boo

Well, I was hoping for something like REmake, I was expecting something like RE6 and what we got is entirely different. I think it's great that they take the franchise into a different direction and it's definitely better than getting another RE6, but sadly I really don't like to play in first person, so the game probably won't be for me.

News Bot

Banned
Not if the entire series had always the same characters and the new game is completely different gameplay and direction-wise ;)

Ark Thompson and Bruce McGivern say hello.

We also have no idea who this game's protagonists are. The documentary crew may just be introductory characters for a prologue.

MilkBeard

Is there no guns in it? Damn I hope there's guns. I'll probably still get it if there's not but what's RE without guns

I can see it being like this: you get a gun at some point, but bullets are scarce. And, to kill the a zombie/infected thing it will probably take a good 4-5 shots.

Ken

As someone who only plays and likes the cool action guy RE456 games, this game is still super spoopy and intriguing to read about and watch.

Nev

Banned
This is absolutely nothing like the first three RE games.

If you think that then you are absolutely not remembering RE 1-3 correctly.

Creepy big house setting, main characters who don't know what's going on, focus on exploration and not in "shoot everything in the face" like RE4 onwards, horror being the actual focus of the game instead of some expendable backdrop to come up with weird monsters to shoot at, etc.

RE 4, 5 and 6 are pure shooters, and while I liked 4 and 5 (6 is an aberration) I more than welcome this change. There are plenty of shooters out there anyways.

Madchad

Not played a RE game since the one with the Nemesis ? Was that 3 ? But while watching the conference when this came on all that was going through my head was i want this game!

Top Bottom