• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Ships Over Three Million Worldwide!

Kazuhira

Well,i hope Capcom feels more confident now and they give more support,budget for RE8.
Hopefully, the team behind 7 can focus more on the game itself now that they have more experience with the engine and all the vr stuff.
I just want RE8 to be a lengthier version of 7 with more enemy variety,more complex areas and level design.

Nev

Banned
Fantastic. Hopefully means the resurgence of survival horror.

Survival horror has been pretty healthy since 2010~ though, the fact that Capcom ignored it and continued raping one of the genre's biggest franchises with some TPS abominations doesn't mean we didn't have some of the greatest survival horror games ever.

RRockman

Banned
I'm sorry some of you feel the need to have more action in this series. The fear is why I played these games in the first place and I've been waiting for YEARS for a return to form just like this one. This will be day one when ever I get a ps4 for sure and while It may not be first person I hope they keep this balance of scary and action and not add more action unless they add a character that is more experienced in fighting, like that dlc that's coming out.

onken

ITT edgy-opinions-R-us.gif

Fantastic game with well deserved sales. Going back to the survival horror roots with a new twist was an extreme bold move for a safe company like Capcom and I enthusiastically applaud them for taking the risk.

Jawmuncher

I think a lot of people are missing a big point.

Survival Horror fans got neglected for all those years and finally got something with 7. That's good.

However I don't think anyone unless you're an ass. Should be "well I suffered without my favorite style RE game so now it's your turn".

I think that's where the biggest arguments lie. Since people try to play this card that their preferred style is the only true answer for the series. I stand firm that the styles can co-exist. Especially with RE7 having a cheaper budget. It should hopefully mean they can spread the wealth around for RE. So action games if they do happen aren't on a happy meal budget like Rev 2.

Technically at this point . Action fans haven't had anything since RE6. Which is coming up at 5 years. Umbrella Corps was whatever the he'll, and Rev 2 has less action than even RE4. So it doesn't fit the bill.

Dervius

Great news for Capcom. RE7 definitely deserves all of the acclaim it's received. It's managed to feel fresh and yet still classic Resi at it's core.

I don't think there is a polarizing argument I enjoy more than the action RE vs. horror RE one. The past few months have been gold.

What people often forget is that there is an entire generation of gamers to whom Resi has always been the 4/5/6 action style. Resi 4 released in what '04, '05? It was action for over ten years. It doesn't make action fans wrong for wanting it that way, for them 7 could be as jarring as 4 was for the horror purists.

Resi is probably my most beloved gaming series, I started with 4 (played through 3 briefly as a kid but was too young to "get" it), and have played nearly every release since. I adore 7, and just hope they keep on coming up with fresh ideas to keep the series alive.

Ricker

Thats great...all I want for 8 is more monster/ennemy variety and a longer game,altough with the replay value,RE7 is not that short.

Bumhead

Banned
I think a lot of people are missing a big point.

Survival Horror fans got neglected for all those years and finally got something with 7. That's good.

However I don't think anyone unless you're an ass. Should be "well I suffered without my favorite style RE game so now it's your turn".

I think that's where the biggest arguments lie. Since people try to play this card that their preferred style is the only true answer for the series. I stand firm that the styles can co-exist. Especially with RE7 having a cheaper budget. It should hopefully mean they can spread the wealth around for RE. So action games if they do happen aren't on a happy meal budget like Rev 2.

Technically at this point . Action fans haven't had anything since RE6. Which is coming up at 5 years. Umbrella Corps was whatever the he'll, and Rev 2 has less action than even RE4. So it doesn't fit the bill.

It really needn't be one or the other.

Resident Evil 7 could (and in my opinion, should) represent a bit of a soft reboot for the series. If you loosely follow the path of the series to this point, Resident Evil 2 managed to retain the core elements of the first game while expanding the scope, environments and action. There's absolutely room to do that for a theoretical Resident Evil 8 without losing all the bits people liked of 7.

Nobody should be suffering either way. The series can continue to cater for both, like I believe it did pretty well during 2, 3 and (to a much lesser extent on the horror, admittedly) 4. 5 and 6 are the only games which absolutely ditch horror but those game are incredibly variable in terms of impressions anyway.

People really understimate the brand Resident Evil. It's a mainline game of course it would sell well. It's having big launch number since RE4.

Now ask yourself, without the name Resident Evil, would this game be doing the same numbers? I highly doubt it.

That said I like the game. Halfway through and it's a solid 7 (and increasing ever since I'm using the Olympia shotgun) for me.

ironmang

Good for them. Might end up being my favorite game in the series when I look back. Really fantastic game and love the new direction.

Great to hear, I hope it's successful for them. RE7 is good but has a lot of flaws that they can hopefully address in a sequel, should they continue in this direction with RE8.

SaniOYOYOY

well deserve. Too bad I probably will pass this, first person horror scared me to death. My father is already all over this game tho

nkarafo

It's not a popular opinion around these parts since some people actually do seem to dig the horror aspect. It's certainly good for them, but I have to look out for my own interests too.

Sorry guys, but if Capcom wants to make a first person horror game with jump scares and not use any established RE characters and mythos for most of the setting, they should just do a new IP or something...
FYI, Resident Evil started as a survival horror game... so using your own logic, if Capcom wanted a dumb action game with no survival horror elements, they should have just made a new IP or something...

For me, the RE franchise was dead after RE4. I couldn't even stand RE6 for more than 30 minutes. But this game bought me back. I hope they continue with the survival horror design, exploration and atmosphere vs action. I don't mind about it being FPS or 3rd person though, anything is good.

kodecraft

I want RE8 in the style of RE7 but with lite glory kills ala Doom2016.

Contextual roundhouse kicks, maneuvers that ad to the gameplay. I thought we might have got it with RE7 the way you kick open the door in the demo leaving the basement.

I got a feeling RE7 is a one-time thing, RE8 will return to what people are familiar with.

So glad RE7 is doing well, even relative to RE6. Survival horror is a genre that needs RE. Horror games these days are either glorified action shooters or focus heavily on hiding or running. While the latter was novel at a time, its often braindead and not nearly as scary as actually facing up to your fears in constrained environments.

Thats what makes RE7 a good GAME.

FYI, Resident Evil started as a survival horror game... so using your own logic, if Capcom wanted a dumb action game with no survival horror elements, they they should have just did a new IP or something...

No need to get hostile. "Dumb action game" is a typical elitist comment. The sales figures of RE4-5-6 clearly show that a lot of people like the action element of RE and the games definitely had elements of BOTH survival and horror.

The difference in RE 1-2-3 and RE 4-5-6 is that the first three parts had archaic gameplay and 4-5-6 had modern gameplay and added melee attacks. But in all 6 you have to fight for survival against monsters. Plus all six have share the same story/universe/characters and most importantly, the perspective.

EDIT: Ah you edited your post. Good job.

Koozek

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.
18dda031bf35428bfc6ce6f790cf1014.gif

nkarafo

No need to get hostile. "Dumb action game" is a typical elitist comment. The sales figures of RE4-5-6 clearly show that a lot of people like the action element of RE and the games definitely had elements of BOTH survival and horror.
I was used to the exploration, survival horror gameplay of the original RE trilogy. After that, i thought they dumbed it down significantly. The sales figures aren't surprising, the original RE games weren't very digestible for the mainstream crowd. I mean isn't "dumbing down" something that many developers do in order to give their older franchises a mainstream appeal?

The difference in RE 1-2-3 and RE 4-5-6 is that the first three parts had archaic gameplay and 4-5-6 had modern gameplay and added melee attacks. But in all 6 you have to fight for survival against monsters. Plus all six have share the same story/universe/characters and most importantly, the perspective.
By archaic/modern you mean controls right? I assume you don't mean that survival horror games with more exploration and caution than action are archaic by design.

Edit: At the end of the day, there are many action games out there, with lots of shooting and cool moves. It's a good thing that some survival horror games get created to spice things up a bit. Especially when we are talking about a franchise that was survival horror from the start.

EDIT: Ah you edited your post. Good job.
I didn't change anything, i just added my own opinion of the game below.

Contextual roundhouse kicks, maneuvers that ad to the gameplay. I thought we might have got it with RE7 the way you kick open the door in the demo leaving the basement.

I got a feeling RE7 is a one-time thing, RE8 will return to what people are familiar with.

132.gif

My favorite part of this game was nothing being a one man army and forcing you to avoid conflict if you didn't have anything to defend yourself. With word of mouth I think this will end up being one of the best selling entries in the series.

Very glad it's doing well

Now all they need to do is take this foundation, build off it and we'll be looking at a proper classic.

nkarafo

132.gif

My favorite part of this game was nothing being a one man army and forcing you to avoid conflict if you didn't have anything to defend yourself.
This.

It's supposed to be survival horror. It's not about non-stop action, heavy metal, cool moves and Matrix slow mo. And i'm extremely happy that this game sells well without these elements. Maybe this means other devs will follow and we can have more representatives of the genre as there are barely any games like this nowadays.

nkarafo

I was a one man army in RE2 and 3 though
You can be a one man army in RE7 too if you finished the game and know what you are doing. But in the first play-though you are always way more cautious. It happens with all games obviously but in pure action games there is less tension and you never feel the need of reserving resources and ammo.

onken

Now ask yourself, without the name Resident Evil, would this game be doing the same numbers? I highly doubt it.

Now ask yourself if trash like RE6 with a worse story than Vanquish and worse gameplay than Binary Domain would have sold anywhere near what it did without the Resident Evil name. I highly doubt it.

myco666

Survival horror has been pretty healthy since 2010~ though, the fact that Capcom ignored it and continued raping one of the genre's biggest franchises with some TPS abominations doesn't mean we didn't have some of the greatest survival horror games ever.

I don't think it has been healthy at all. Horror genre has been doing fine but survival horror not so much.

Kalentan

With RE7 being a success and them saying they want to do more VR after seeing it's success with it... why would they make RE8 go back to the old style?

Jawmuncher

Now ask yourself if trash like RE6 with a worse story than Vanquish and worse gameplay than Binary Domain would have sold anywhere near what it did without the Resident Evil name. I highly doubt it.

Worse gameplay than Binary Domain?
Nah son. I can accept it having a weaker campaign. I won't defend the mess they made with a lot of the sections.
But the core gameplay of RE6 is great. Mercenaries is proof enough of that.

Dervius

Can't have anybody talking smack about Binary Domain, using that as a benchmark for bad gameplay (I presume was your intention?). It was an excellent shooter.

Also trying to paint gameplay with a good/bad brush is pretty unwise. It's all subjective yadda yadda...

Say what you want about the story but the gameplay was TIGHT in RE6. The gameplay in Binary Domain isn't even bad... It seems you just like simplistic controls.

And please tell me how you WOULDN'T name part 6 Resident Evil with all the high profile characters of the franchise in it? You would have to change all characters and the story not only the name of the game.

duckroll

What. Binary Domain is one of the best third person shooters. Certainly the best one Japan ever made by far. It's really fun and the mechanics are great. What are you talking about?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323597

Is quite amusing now. Gems like

Sometimes a bit of optimism and faith isn't a bad thing.

Oh boy, here was my big ole post in the thread at the time, I was curious since I new I did a big write-up.

OKAY, so firstly the misinformation here is Capcom is not targeting 4 million on Day 1, the goal is to reach 4 million sales before the fiscal year is over (so a little over two months, RE7 releases on January 24th, and the fiscal year ends on March 31st, so basically two months and a week).

So here are some things working FOR and AGAINST RE7 sales-wise:

FOR RE7's SUCCESS-

01.) Resident Evil Brand Name
RE7 is guaranteed to basically sell at least a million copies on brand name alone, the series has proven this time and time again the RE brand is still surprisingly strong even despite misfires here and there in the public eye. It's why the RE films keep doing so well despite not being good films, or why RE6 sold so much despite not rave reviews, and even spin-offs with little to no marketing manage to sell over 1 million copies. Especially as many fans who may have given up on the series are willing to give RE7 a shot. Speaking of this..

02.) Timing the release of RE7 with the final RE Film (Resident Evil: The Final Chapter)
The final live-action RE film releases in the same week as RE7. The films are always box office successes and critical failures, but if Capcom doesn't put a RE7 trailer before the live-action film, they done fucked up. It's a great way to raise brand awareness with more casual consumers and even make them aware of RE7 in turn.

03.) That PSVR support
People with PSVR's want a killer app game to go with it. PSVR has pushed a few million units, hell even in Japan of all things it's sold over 500,000 units (in Japan alone). Resident Evil 7 is the first major game releasing for PSVR, when many people want that full PSVR experience. RE7's timing is perfect for the PSVR, and I don't doubt RE7 may sell more because of its PSVR support as the first full-fledged game released for the thing.

04.) Critical Reception
We won't know how the game does until we do, but I have a bit of confidence in it. I think it'll probably get 80-86 Metacritic, but the recent impressions from people who played 3-5 hours of RE7 was glowing from everyone from IGN to Eurogamer to PC Gamer to Games Radar. There were even a couple people who said their 3-5 hours with RE7 wasn't just very good, but their absolute favorite gaming experience they've had all year. And every preview mentioned this was the first RE game to stop chasing RE4's tale and be something special on its own, pulling from a lot but never feeling derivative and it's own thing, and most mentioned their time with RE7 surprised them with how good it was. Maybe the rest of the game falls and I think by nature the game will have some people who are more glowing towards it and those who are more critical, but 3-5 hours is a pretty decent chunk to form an opinion off of, and it's looking like the game won't be a critical failure at least at this point.

05.) Horror Fans
This will probably help less than I'd like honestly, but RE7 is the first really big studio horror game with marketing behind it. Alien: Isolation and Until Dawn went on to sell 2 million units each, but both also weren't marketed that well and sold basically on good word of mouth and horror fans. But the non-indie studio big-budget horror games from the last 7 years can be counted on one hand. It's hard to predict sales as this is the most a horror game has been marketed in years, but I guess we'll see how thirsty horror fans are for something like RE7.

06.) YouTubers
While I don't think RE7 is made specifically as a "YouTuber bait" game like some call it (like some assume all first-person horror games are), RE7 is pretty much guaranteed to be played by all major YouTubers (the demo already was as well), plus with the demo videos and then the full game that means RE7 is getting some serious exposure among these people. While's it's unclear how much LP's transition into sales, there are some games that manage to sell a lot based on LP's almost entirely, and some games that saw big sales boosts after YouTubers started covering it, so we shall see how it effects RE7 since it's already pretty much guaranteed and already thanks to the demo been getting a lot of YouTuber coverage.

---

AGAINST RE7's SUCCESS:

01.) It's not co-op
While many have asked for the series to drop co-op play and focus on single player, and RE7 does that, it does mean there won't be the push for people telling their friends to pick it up to play with their friends and some people won't be interested due to the lack of co-op which they picked the RE games up for. I'm pretty certain part of the reason RE6 went on to sell 4.8 million copies in its first couple months is because of co-op, even despite a disappointing critical reception.

02.) It's not action, but horror
This is hard to gauge, since as I said above RE7 is really the first horror game in years to get a serious marketing campaign. But action is easier to sell than horror (I say disappointingly as a horror enthusiast), so this could work against RE7. People who want action are more critical than they'd be otherwise on RE7 for its horror focus already, and I doubt casual audiences will feel differently (even though RE7 has action, it's not the focus).

03.) The reception of RE6
Part of why RE5 sold so well was because of the positive reception of RE4, with RE7 being the major entry following RE6 there's a high chance it'll effect RE7's sales even if it is a radically different direction, many who will be more cautious of it or take the 'wait and see' approach.

04.) 4 Million is a big number
I don't doubt RE7 will sell 2 million units in its first couple months with everything in mind, and I think it'll eventually go on to sell 4 million, especially if it turns out to be a critical darling and if word of mouth is positive, but that's over time and not in the first two and a half months. But the goal being 4 million is hard to say. Like... Evil Within, Alien Isolation, and Until Dawn all sold over 1 million units in its first month and all went on to sell 2 million units, those are the easiest thing to compare it to. But then none of those had Resident Evil's brand name power or the marketing push RE7 has either (or VR support for thirsty PSVR users), so it's a bit hard to say... But 4 million is a big number.

---

It's hard to say, but there's definitely for and against RE7's success here.

As a horror enthusiast, I also am noticing an over-abundance of people playing down the horror genre, forgetting the horror genre died out not because of sales but publisher direction to chase hollywood and trends, and horror isn't -just- some niche thing, there's a reason there's so many horror movies that do well and Horror Games have caught on a lot with a casual audience on YouTube or how the RE franchise even got big in the first place, there's a lot of factors here but I think some people are severely underestimating some factors at play here.

Horror games have been indie dependent for so long simply because bigger publishers left the space after the PS2 era to chase the newest trends, which weren't horror games at the time but action games after, ironically, RE4 shook things up. Resident Evil 4 wasn't the first action game, nor was RE1 the first horror game, but they managed to capture an audience and leave a mark for other developers to follow.

We will see if Capcom can pull it off a third time or not.

Looking back fun~ Some of the people in the thread were way to pessimistic. Some people saying being pessimistic is being a "realist", but going by the brand, series sales history, etc., some people were ridiculous thinking the game wouldn't even sell 1 million or stuff like that.

One thing I'll have to agree with duckroll and Jawmuncher on is this:

There really isn't anything like the combat of RE6, despite everyone lieing and saying "Hey there's so many games like it, go play those instead you franchise ruiner."

Hey it's not their fault Capcom probably made the most satisfying combat system in a tps. It's the Devil May Cry of third person shooters.

While I absolutely want RE to stay horror in the long run. The core of RE6 has huge potential and I don't want it to go away either, personally.

There really isn't anything like the combat of RE6, despite everyone lieing and saying "Hey there's so many games like it, go play those instead you franchise ruiner."

Hey it's not their fault Capcom probably made the most satisfying combat system in a tps. It's the Devil May Cry of third person shooters.

While I absolutely want RE to stay horror in the long run. The core of RE6 has huge potential and I don't want it to go away either, personally.

Exactly my thoughts. RE6 was basically the DMC of TPS. No other shooter has guns and melee the way RE6 had. Yet people prefere the terrible ass shooting and controls in RE1-2-3 and even 7.

I disagree, but I guess it depends on your definition. Way I see it, there's three different variations of horror:

Action-horror: RE4, Dead Space, etc.
"Pure" horror: Amnesia, Outlast, etc.
Survival horror: Resident Evil, System Shock 2

So while we've gotten plenty of horror games, most of them fall into the first two categories and go either full action or zero action. There are very few that are actually similar to the old RE games in that they de-emphasize action while still allowing the player to defend themselves. There's RE7, Alien: Isolation, FNaF, ZombiU, and . . . ?

Jawmuncher

Exactly. This is where I stand. RE can go back to horror and all that. I just don't want this gameplay to die more than anything.

Exactly. This is where I stand. RE can go back to horror and all that. I just don't want this gameplay to die more than anything.
I cross my fingers every day for another standalone Mercs game with RE6 mechanics. All platforms. Selectable music from a mix of old, new, and original tracks. Interchangeable loadouts like Mercs 3D. Online co-op. A huge cast of characters. Lots of stages.

I want to believe.

(Mercs 3D was amazing)

Top Bottom