• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Ships Over Three Million Worldwide!

I disagree, but I guess it depends on your definition. Way I see it, there's three different variations of horror:

Action-horror: RE4, Dead Space, etc.
"Pure" horror: Amnesia, Outlast, etc.
Survival horror: Resident Evil, System Shock 2

So while we've gotten plenty of horror games, most of them fall into the first two categories and go either full action or zero action. There are very few that are actually similar to the old RE games in that they de-emphasize action while still allowing the player to defend themselves. There's RE7, Alien: Isolation, FNaF, ZombiU, and . . . ?

Yup, I totally agree.

One of the main reasons some people were kinda turned off by RE7 is with the first person perspective and through the demo, people thought the game would just be another pure horror game, which I think we've had more than enough of those tbh.

Thankfully, that ended up not being the case.

I cross my fingers every day for another standalone Mercs game with RE6 mechanics. All platforms. Selectable music from a mix of old, new, and original tracks. Interchangeable loadouts like Mercs 3D. Online co-op. A huge cast of characters. Lots of stages.

I want to believe.

(Mercs 3D was amazing)

Fuck, are all of us just thinking the same exact thing lol

Like, it needs to happen now.

It's good for the people that want more of RE6's amazing combat, and at the same time it doesn't have to be super expensive since it's not a full 20 something hour campaign. Leaving the money to also make really good, high budget horror RE titles.

It's perfect.

And yes, Mercs 3D was really good, it just wasn't enough imo.

Jawmuncher

Fuck, are all of us just thinking the same exact thing lol

Like, it needs to happen now.

It's good for the people that want more of RE6's amazing combat, and at the same time it doesn't have to be super expensive since it's not a full 20 something hour campaign.

It's perfect.

With action fans the majority seems to say

Give us a full-on mercs/raid game that carries across the whole series.
Bring back DC with RE6 style gameplay.

These seem to be the most common remarks I see when it comes to action RE. So I dunno why capcom ain't on the same page. Just think of all that money they wasted on Umbrella Corps that they could have put towards a RE mercs game that could STILL be getting DLC updates right now.

With action fans the majority seems to say

Give us a full-on mercs/raid game that carries across the whole series.
Bring back DC with RE6 style gameplay.

These seem to be the most common remarks I see when it comes to action RE. So I dunno why capcom ain't on the same page. Just think of all that money they wasted on Umbrella Corps that they could have put towards a RE mercs game that could STILL be getting DLC updates right now.

Fuck me, I was thinking the same thing.

UC rips a bunch of assets from the older games, why the fuck didn't they just do that with a standalone Mercs game.

tbh, I'm pretty confident that we're probably gonna get something like this. But to be realistic, probably not until a while.

Brhoom

Banned
I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.

Keep your dirty paws away from RE!!!

I hope we never see action Resi ever again.

Jawmuncher

Keep your dirty paws away from RE!!!

I hope we never see action Resi ever again.

GET OUT

I have a question, is RE6 still a really good co-op game in terms of it's campaign?

Is it better than RE5 with co-op?

Cuz I still kinda wanna do that with someone someday.

RE5's co-op kinda felt somewhat like an afterthought, where as it seems like RE6 would design around it, ya know what I mean?

Good to see those numbers, they'll probably reach the 4m.

But I'm still waiting for some mercenaries goodness and the return of the main characters.

Jawmuncher

I have a question, is RE6 still a really good co-op game in terms of it's campaign?

RE5's co-op kinda felt somewhat like an afterthought, where as it seems like RE6 would design around it, ya know what I mean?

If you thought RE5 co-op was an afterthought. I don't think RE6 coop is gonna win you over either. I mean it's still a better experience in coop than solo. But it's not going to fix a lot of issues that are still there. The best aspect of online coop is that each users see's their own ammo drops and such. So they don't have to share like in RE5. So you can end up with a lot more fire power because of that. Rather than the CPU using nothing but their pistol the entire game.

myco666

There is no coop better than RE5. You know it is the truth.

Kevinroc

Just started it last night and am enjoying it so far. Glad to see Capcom finding success taking a chance with one of their premier franchises.

If you thought RE5 co-op was an afterthought. I don't think RE6 coop is gonna win you over either. I mean it's still a better experience in coop than solo. But it's not going to fix a lot of issues that are still there. The best aspect of online coop is that each users see's their own ammo drops and such. So they don't have to share like in RE5. So you can end up with a lot more fire power because of that. Rather than the CPU using nothing but their pistol the entire game.

There is no coop better than RE5. You know it is the truth.

Well, alright then. Don't get me wrong, I still think RE5 co-op is fantastic. Was just wondering how much of an improvement it is.

I might still play RE6 co-op anyways just to see the cool dumb stuff that gifs showed me

Like there's a fighting game segment or some shit, I don't know.

I'd say the thing that's inspiring me a bunch to play it would be that really good GamingBrit RE6 video he made a while ago. Some shit in that video just makes me go "Hmmmm, maybe I should try out the main game."

Congrats to Capcom.

I'm more partial to action RE but I loved my time with RE7. Damn good game.

It's really a shame that I basically beat the game and that was it. In RE4-6, I had lots of content to keep me busy afterward, and modes (Mercenaries) to keep me entertained for hours upon hours before deciding to tackle the campaign again.

For RE7 I have to wait for Season Pass bullshit and decide if the content is worth buying, and who knows how much replayability there is. It's depressing coming from previously content-packed entries. Even the Revelations games kept me plenty busy after the campaign.

I hope Capcom looks at DOOM if they decide to go the FPS route for RE8, at least in terms of gameplay.

Fuck no. Doom is an all out arcade action game.

I want RE8 in the style of RE7 but with lite glory kills ala Doom2016.

Contextual roundhouse kicks, maneuvers that ad to the gameplay. I thought we might have got it with RE7 the way you kick open the door in the demo leaving the basement.

I got a feeling RE7 is a one-time thing, RE8 will return to what people are familiar with.

Um people are familiar with style of RE7. 1,2, 3, Code Veronica, REmake and Zero are all in the same vain. Seeing how this is a success I doubt they change things up too much for the follow-up. They want to bring survival horror back to RE and they did.

onken

Say what you want about the story but the gameplay was TIGHT in RE6. The gameplay in Binary Domain isn't even bad... It seems you just like simplistic controls.

And please tell me how you WOULDN'T name part 6 Resident Evil with all the high profile characters of the franchise in it? You would have to change all characters and the story not only the name of the game.

BD and Vanquish both sold like shit despite being way better games. RE6 sold a ton of copies just because it had the RE name, period. So you can't use that as a stick to beat RE7 with (again, much better game that this time deserves the sales).

RSB

Banned
Hopefully the success of RE7 won't give Capcom any stupid ideas, like turning the RE2 Remake into a 1st person game or some other shit.

I've been waiting 14 years for a new RE in the classic style, so they better not fuck that up.

I got a feeling RE7 is a one-time thing, RE8 will return to what people are familiar with.
I hope you're right. RE7 is ok for what it is, but I don't really want more RE games in that style.

Jawmuncher

I hope they realize what made it a sucesss and can continue on the right path. Please no more boulder punching.

You can't give Chris shit for boulder punching when leon ran away from a damn robot

hqdefault.jpg

To this day, that was more ridiculous than punching a boulder.

Fuck no. Doom is an all out arcade action game.

It is. But we're talking hypothetical's anyway. If capcom wanted to make a FPS action RE game. Doom would be the best game to take inspiration from. Since the whole Brutal Kills in essence is kind of similar to the contextual melee attacks of third person RE. Hell I expect the Not a Hero DLC to do something similar to this anyway. Since canonically, it would be odd for Chris to be weaker than he was in RE6. Molded shouldn't be much of an issue for a guy who was countering bloodshots.

*Writes Duckroll under Jawmuncher in "people you can never be friends with" list*

*Throws on Shades*

"your loss"

Neptonic

I'm sure Jawmuncher is a human being with family and friends, who has a job, and is probably a great person all around.

I've literally boiled you down to the person who will kill a man for a new Dino Crisis/Action RE.
I support your future battles.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
On the 'what is RE' debate, I've always felt like 'why not both'? The change in direction is what makes this series interesting. With 7 they went back to horror, and 8 could be something else entirely. After I finished RE7 I was glad they could still nail the horror element. In addition to VR, it put RE to the front and center again. So people who craved horror got their fix again. I was glad for the change of pace, but I like the action approach of RE as well. These two sides of the coin is what makes RE interesting as a franchise.

I'm sure Jawmuncher is a human being with family and friends, who has a job, and is probably a great person all around.

I've literally boiled you down to the person who will kill a man for a new Dino Crisis/Action RE.

We were the real Resident Evil all along

Jawmuncher

There's 3 things for gaming I will fight for
Action RE, Dino Crisis, and Snake in Smash. That's the holy trinity.
But you more or less summed it up lol.

We were the real Resident Evil all along

lol.

Revelations - action
Mainline RE - survival horror
REmakes - classic

This is what i'm hoping capcom is doing. But it still remains to be seen. It's an obvious answer, but capcom seems to have trouble looking at the obvious.
Also in the case of Rev, I would hope that it shifts to actual action. Rev style action doesn't cut it. There's a reason that series thus far has to stick to raid over mercs bonus mode.

Bullet sponge 7

Ah someone didn't know how to play the game. I thought most encounters were very manageable as long as you had the right equipment. If you didn't you could go from potentially one-shooting an enemy to wasting all of your ammo. And if you have played classic RE you know to save your most powerful artillery for the end.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I really hope they keep the current RE7 themes, gameplay and style for at least another "trilogy" of RE8 and RE9 and hopefully RE8 will be what RE2 was for RE but for RE7.

Jawmuncher

But Dino Crisis reboot will also have a similar tone to RE7!

Yeah, a survival horror game inspired by Alien Isolation and the jurrassic park movies in first person would be awesome

Sorry for giving you a heart attack Jaw

diddledg9lbn.gif

Man this looks so ridiculous lol. Good riddance action RE! I hope re7 sell 10 million so I never have to see this in a RE game again.

Lol that gif. Thank god re7 is meeting expectations.

Never say Never

DC should be like re6 if anything. I mean dc2 was probably first crack at actionfy resident evil formula. DC2 is actually very similar to action RE games.

I don't disagree. Hell half of GAF says the same thing.
If only capcom would listen.
Beleive me I have been a fan of DC since 99. 1&2 to me one of the greatest game ever made. I have been hoping for part 3 for 16 years now.
part 3 don't exist in my mind. At least not a real part 3. W/e we had was not a DC game.

KLoWn

If they want to do more action in RE I hope they limit it to the DLC.

I really like the idea of going around as an Umbrella agent shooting zombies. It just sucks that every game where they have that sucks.

Shredderi

Nice. Just keep Jawmuncher unhappy and chances are I will be happy with the direction they'll take the series going forward. Also bring back Dino Crisis and make it into a RTS Puzzle MMO game.

Nice. Just keep Jawmuncher unhappy and chances are I will be happy with the direction they'll take the series going forward. Also bring back Dino Crisis and make it into a RTS Puzzle MMO game.
Or how about like alien isolation. Hiding from raptors and T-Rex.

Jawmuncher

Beleive me I have been a fan of DC since 99. 1&2 to me one of the greatest game ever made. I have been hoping for part 3 for 16 years now.
part 3 don't exist in my mind. At least not a real part 3. W/e we had was not a DC game.

I'm right there with you.

The sad thing is, this isn't even the first time this has been said.
At this point I actively think capcom is really doing this.

Top Bottom