• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Ships Over Three Million Worldwide!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
at this rate, maybe RE8 will take an open world approach, y'know like how Zelda and FF recently went.

Dabi

Well deserved. They have plans to be the best developer in the world and so far they're taking steps towards that goal. Keep on keeping on.

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.

Did you play RE7? There is plenty of shooty shooty bang bang stuff. The second half of the game is essentially an action game.

jonno394

I'm not an owner yet, may well be down the line, but glad it's doing decently. Obviously not as well as 5 or 6 but still good.

Massive decline in Japan though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll take the open-world approach but only it if's very well designed. And focused. Like focused to a house.

Kinda like you're exploring Raccoon City but you can go inside several areas at any time and complete missions (something like RE7). Then zombies will randomly spawn and chase you outside.

MoonFrog

I liked it. Could've used more content, more labyrinthine design, and more enemy types. But it felt like classic RE mixed with southern family drama and being hunted.

Zoe and the brother seemed kind of under-utilized to me too.

But I liked it a lot, which is a good thing to be feeling towards RE again. REmake back on the GCN is one of my favorite games.

duckroll

Kinda like you're exploring Raccoon City but you can go inside several areas at any time and complete missions (something like RE7). Then zombies will randomly spawn and chase you outside.

You just described a brand new Resident Evil: Outbreak. Now just add in online and co-op, and everyone is in.

Did you play RE7? There is plenty of shooty shooty bang bang stuff. The second half of the game is essentially an action game.

It does compared to the rest of game but it only gets as actiony as some of the lower-key encounters in something like RE4. I was honestly impressed with the subdued approach.

You just described a brand new Resident Evil: Outbreak. Now just add in online and co-op, and everyone is in.

oh my ghaaaadddddd

While I don't mind action RE but if RE4,5,6 style were to go extinct I will not miss them. They were always good tps but not a good RE game IMO. RE 7 is the perfect mix of modernizing RE but keeping what was good about original elements from 1,2,3.

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.
Whew! Glad you don't work at Capcom!

Although the skepticism in me says you are joking about this...

bidguy

Banned

ugh

im sorry youre a scaredy cat but theres plenty of action focused tps out there. re was always survival horror, sure they swerved the fuck out of that direction but every title after re4 got extremely bad critical reception and im glad they did.

theres already a drought of aaa survival horror games but theres always gonna be another uncharted or gears or last of us or maybe even vanquish for people like you.

ron_bato

Work has been a b**ch lately, but I'll finally be able to buy it and play it later.

One of my most anticipated games this year, and i'm glad that the risk Capcom took panned out.

The sales of the entire Resident Evil franchise have just gone 76 million right?

GTA5 has sold 75 million......

Don't get me wrong, Resi sales are solid and it's a great series but doesn't that put into perspective just how massive GTA5 actually was? I don't mean to derail - just a weird thought.

Piichan

Banned
The sales of the entire Resident Evil franchise have just gone 76 million right?

Don't get me wrong, Resi sales are solid and it's a great series but doesn't that put into perspective just how massive GTA5 actually was? I don't mean to derail - just a weird thought.

Time to make GTA: Raccoon City.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Well it is the top selling game of all time, so yeah. Given there's a lot of factors at play here, like GTA5 undoubtedly was a lot more expensive to make and had much bigger and more expensive advertising. It still made fuck tons obviously, but there's a lot of reasons why to this point most game series haven't sold as much as GTA5 alone has.

But RE shouldn't try to be GTA. Different markets and there's also a reason GTA sells so well, it basically has a monopoly on the genre it created so any competitors don't do nearly as well, as they just want GTA, not a pale clone. And the sandbox market is already saturated.

I think part of why RE7 was so well received was because it went in a very different direction that most game series are going, instead of going bigger it went smaller but focused to make that smaller space engaging and more contained and detailed. Which I think is a good direction for the series to go, whether it is horror or action. I've always thought part of what RE does well is its level design, and more focused level design makes it for a more memorable experience.

Nice. I was a bit skeptical of RE in first person but after playing through the whole thing in VR I'm glad they went for it. It was a gamble that paid off big. Looking forward to great things out of RE8!

I think part of why RE7 was so well received was because it went in a very different direction that most game series are going, instead of going bigger it went smaller but focused to make that smaller space engaging and more contained and detailed. Which I think is a good direction for the series to go, whether it is horror or action. I've always thought part of what RE does well is its level design, and more focused level design makes it for a more memorable experience.

That's what I reaaalllly loved about RE7. I thought the game was going to go off the rails and we'd be hopping around new environments, and the Baker house would just be like 15% of the game but...actually the majority of the game takes place there (like 60%), and I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Just make a few places but make them really cool and fun to just backtrack through

KyleCross

ugh

im sorry youre a scaredy cat but theres plenty of action focused tps out there. re was always survival horror, sure they swerved the fuck out of that direction but every title after re4 got extremely bad critical reception and im glad they did.

theres already a drought of aaa survival horror games but theres always gonna be another uncharted or gears or last of us or maybe even vanquish for people like you.
Are you high? No, they didn't.

They deserve more, game is fucking brilliant, and glad they got well away from that anime Weskeru cartoon shite they've been peddling for the last few years. Bring's a tear to my eye that a proper Resi can still be made :')

myco666

Are you high? No, they didn't.

lol yep. 6 is the only one that got not so great reception and even that is 75 at metacritic. Wouldn't call that extremely bad.

They deserve more, game is fucking brilliant, and glad they got well away from that anime Weskeru cartoon shite they've been peddling for the last few years. Bring's a tear to my eye that a proper Resi can still be made :')

Last few years? Code Veronica came out 17 years ago.

Raiden

Banned
Really happy that this worked out so well. RE6 was a joke compared to RE4 and even 5. Its nice to see a big studio take risk and that it has succes. I bought it yesterday and its already top 3 RE games for me (1, 4 and 7)

ethomaz

Banned
Great and deserved.

500k more units shipped/sold after few days is awesome.

Can it beat Capcom expectations??? I think so... word of mouth is being great for it after the launch being affected by RE6 bad reception.

yurinka

Congrats! Well deserved, I'm playing it right now and it's a great game. Feels fresh and goes back to the roots, something that the series needed.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm so glad this game did well.

It was such and amazing return to form, akin only to doom and they deserve all the kudos we can give them.

Welcome back capcom! Don't go fucking it up now ok?

This is awesome news, I was getting worried at first, but now with sales picking up, I think they may achieve their 4 millions expectations.

The game is pretty much amazing, and it seems word of mouth is doing wonders. Personally I am telling everyone of my friends who were not sure about it to just go and buy it, cause they are in for a treat.

This post brings me sadness and you should be ashamed. I hope revelations 3 fulfills your action needs.

Congrats to Capcom.

I'm more partial to action RE but I loved my time with RE7. Damn good game.

It's really a shame that I basically beat the game and that was it. In RE4-6, I had lots of content to keep me busy afterward, and modes (Mercenaries) to keep me entertained for hours upon hours before deciding to tackle the campaign again.

For RE7 I have to wait for Season Pass bullshit and decide if the content is worth buying, and who knows how much replayability there is. It's depressing coming from previously content-packed entries. Even the Revelations games kept me plenty busy after the campaign.

I hope Capcom looks at DOOM if they decide to go the FPS route for RE8, at least in terms of gameplay.

Neff

Not even a little bit surprising. The game is solid, word of mouth is excellent, and the Resident Evil IP is evergreen.

Hopefully it surpasses even Capcom's expectations and convinces them to go big with RE8.

duckroll

I think I'm going to puke.

You're going to hate me even more, but I said the exact same thing in various other threads before. If they have to stick with a FPS, I want them to look at what made DOOM work so well to pick up ideas. It's really not ridiculous. It doesn't mean the game is going to be exactly like DOOM, but like it or not RE fans do like action in the series. DOOM also handles level design really well, and has large levels to explore filled with secrets, keys for locked doors, and all sorts of neat stuff. Most importantly, the controls and weapon/movement/melee feedback in DOOM is amazing. You really feel like you're controlling a really powerful dude who can take on an army of evil demons. That's just the sort of feeling the game would need if you played as Chris Redfield in first person.

Well deserved, not only did they make a great game, they brought the survival horror back to RE and also let us play it in VR, which takes the scares to the next level. Most fun I've had with a RE game in years and far better than RE 5 & 6 for me.

Congrats to Capcom.

I'm more partial to action RE but I loved my time with RE7. Damn good game.

It's really a shame that I basically beat the game and that was it. In RE4-6, I had lots of content to keep me busy afterward, and modes (Mercenaries) to keep me entertained for hours upon hours before deciding to tackle the campaign again.

For RE7 I have to wait for Season Pass bullshit and decide if the content is worth buying, and who knows how much replayability there is. It's depressing coming from previously content-packed entries. Even the Revelations games kept me plenty busy after the campaign.

I hope Capcom looks at DOOM if they decide to go the FPS route for RE8, at least in terms of gameplay.

It does offer some of the lowest replaybility, but it still had some fun unlocks tied to the traditional RE challenges and Madhouse was a great shakeup mode instead of just a regular hard/pro difficulty.

The DOOM bit is ridiculous though. There's nothing survival horror about that style, which is what RE is; it's genre is not FPS. First person is just the perspective.

I would think the better option would be to further expand and improve upon the groundwork put in by RE7 for at least one more entry before they shift the series again.

You're going to hate me even more, but I said the exact same thing in various other threads before. If they have to stick with a FPS, I want them to look at what made DOOM work so well to pick up ideas. It's really not ridiculous. It doesn't mean the game is going to be exactly like DOOM, but like it or not RE fans do like action in the series. DOOM also handles level design really well, and has large levels to explore filled with secrets, keys for locked doors, and all sorts of neat stuff. Most importantly, the controls and weapon/movement/melee feedback in DOOM is amazing. You really feel like you're controlling a really powerful dude who can take on an army of evil demons. That's just the sort of feeling the game would need if you played as Chris Redfield in first person.

Some like it. And some hate it. How about we just let capcom make the games they want to make? I get it. I do. The way you are talking is exactly how I felt when they abandoned classic RE style for action RE.

Clearly horror RE is proving super popular given the reception to this one.

WITHE1982

Great news and well deserved.

I wasn't particularly happy when Capcom announced that RE was switching to first person but if they can keep up this standard of survival horror then I'll not be complaining.

Just finished up my second play-through last night and immediately started my third. Game is like crack.

Now just give me RE2-Make for my 3rd person zombie fix and Capcom will definitely find itself back in my good graces.

RE2>REMake>RE4>RE7>RE3>RE1>RE5>RE6 - Still a very respectable 4th place in the series for me.

K' Dash

Kids...

K' Dash

Go play Doom then, real, good, survival horror Resident Evil were never about the shoot bang, actually the 2 main games with "big guns" are exceptionally bad.

As some poster said above, you will surely be getting the kind of game you want anyway...

The DOOM bit is ridiculous though. There's nothing survival horror about that style, which is what RE is; it's genre is not FPS. First person is just the perspective.

I would think the better option would be to further expand and improve upon the groundwork put in by RE7 for at least one more entry before they shift the series again.
Capcom loves to compromise, so you never know. And anyway, I'm not saying I want RE8 in the style of DOOM, but wouldn't mind if--if they go a more action route in first-person/use someone who's not an everyman--that the way DOOM felt as an FPS would be a cool base as a middle ground between survival horror and action. RE with DOOM-lite, not DOOM with RE.

If RE8 is more of RE7, fine by me. Like I said, I enjoyed RE7 a lot. The lack of content was my only real gripe. And enemy variety.

I know I'll probably be covered by spin-off titles for my action fix, so I don't mind the neglected fanbase getting the spotlight *shrug*.

Top Bottom