• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Astral

Ada is the best ever. Mmmmm. She could play games with me all day. Good on Jake though for kinda scoring a hottie like Sherry 6 years older than him.

Neiteio

Eh, Ada is OK. As a character, she's whatever (we still don't really know anything about her), but she's a striking design, yes. RE6 finally made her look Asian, and it's interesting seeing an Asian character in a Japanese game that actually looks, well, Asian!

Ralemont

not me
So yeah, I can't decide. Time to be polywaifuistic.

Sherry being the REverse Wolverine makes this a no-contest. Helena is just another one-game-wonder brunette. Stick her in the back with Carlos, Steve, Sheva, and that cop from Degeneration no one cares about anymore.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Helena, while my least favorite RE6 character, I still liked decently. But I have to say this whenever she's brought up...

She's basically Angela from Degeneration 2.0.

angela-miller-resident-evil-degeneration-3.12.jpg

Both voiced by Laura Bailey putting on the exact same voice, they both have a similar dilemma of their sibling getting caught in a conspiracy and being turned into a B.O.W. they have to say goodbye to (and both siblings even die by plummeting into a giant abyss while latched onto their sibling!), they have almost the same personality (Helena is a bit more colorful in fairness to her), both are trained special forces that end up getting paired with Leon... There's more there, and there obviously are differences, but in my mind Helena was Capcom's 'reboot' of Angela after the backlash of her as a possible love interest in Leon, which is why towards the end of RE6 they establish Leon's interest in Ada and Helena understands it.

Astral

I wonder if Leon ever went back and tapped that like he said he would. I know the man has Ada by I'm sure he didn't wait for her forever. RE characters have the most complicated love lives. Ada is always peacing out on Leon, Claire's love interest in Revelations becomes a monster, Chris doesn't care or something or tried to date a co-worker I think, etc.

Cimarron

I finished Revelations this weekend and I started Revelations 2 yesterday. I am really enjoying both of these games! They really have more of the old school trilogy feel to me rather than 4,5, and 6. They feel like more a a true successor to the franchises roots. Complete with all of the cheese! Too bad they did not receive AAA marketing and budget. But then again they may have end up like 4,5, and 6 if they had AAA pressure applied to them.

Sherry being the REverse Wolverine makes this a no-contest. Helena is just another one-game-wonder brunette. Stick her in the back with Carlos, Steve, Sheva, and that cop from Degeneration no one cares about anymore.

Setting the "Waifu" talk aside...

I'd totally take another game with Sheva. And I want Josh to make another appearance.

Also, Sherry's Wolverineness oscillates wildly. At one point she heals from a fucking chunk of helicopter lodged in her spine after plummeting from thousands of feet with a sliced parachute but at another point a failed QTE has her die from a 20 foot fall. I saw that and I'm like "What the fuck?" Of course this is the same game that has the deadly C-virus gas that doesn't work against the totally air tight frame of a car, so I suppose I shouldn't expect consistency.

Dusk Golem

I couldn't be more happy with how they made Sherry return in the series, I thought it was a good continuation of her RE2 self and she was very likable in RE6. I also liked Jake a lot.

Jake and Sherry is so cheesy on paper, it sounds like the dumbest most fan-fictiony shit the series has ever pulled (the moody son of Wesker we've never heard of until now who has super human powers that teams up with Sherry Birkin from RE2 grown up who also has super human powers come together to relate because of their twisted fathers who used to be previous main villains in the series, and they fall in love and become goodguys). But somehow they managed to make both characters very likable, to the point most are willing to overlook the dumb set-up and just enjoy it for what it is. A prime example it's in the execution often when it comes to these things, I do think their VAs helped a lot to sell them.

Mr_Zombie

Also, Sherry's Wolverineness oscillates wildly. At one point she heals from a fucking chunk of helicopter lodged in her spine after plummeting from thousands of feet with a sliced parachute but at another point a failed QTE has her die from a 20 foot fall. I saw that and I'm like "What the fuck?"

It's a shame that while Capcom integrated Jake's fighting/acrobatic abilities into the gameplay, they forgot about Sherry's abilities to heal/regenerate. Heck, if I remember correctly, after the helicopter crash those abilities aren't brought back again in the game at all.

Of course this is the same game that has the deadly C-virus gas that doesn't work against the totally air tight frame of a car, so I suppose I shouldn't expect consistency.

First and for all, it has the deadly C-virus gas that kills almost everyone on the plane except a pair of main protagonists for no real reason.

This deeply conflicts me, because I already chose Helena as my waifu. I feel like I'm cheating on her. But she's a bit of a wet blanket. "Blah blah blah, the president is dead; blah blah, my sister is dead; blah blah, 60,000 people are dead. SIMMONS!"

Well, that's a pretty good depiction of Helena's story >_>

And yes, Sherry is a great character in RE6. I love her design and character arc.

Neiteio

Setting the "Waifu" talk aside...
1c61fj.jpg

CrimsonCrescendo said:
Also, Sherry's Wolverineness oscillates wildly. At one point she heals from a fucking chunk of helicopter lodged in her spine after plummeting from thousands of feet with a sliced parachute but at another point a failed QTE has her die from a 20 foot fall. I saw that and I'm like "What the fuck?" Of course this is the same game that has the deadly C-virus gas that doesn't work against the totally air tight frame of a car, so I suppose I shouldn't expect consistency.
Maybe the distinction is, the fall kills her instantly, so she doesn't have a chance to auto-heal, but she was still alive when she had the plane piece lodged in her, so she was able to heal afterward.

Dusk Golem

Also I find it amusing with the waifu talk that RE7 will be the first time we've had a main RE character who has a wife and we actually know who the wife is and their relationship plays a role into the game itself (Barry has a wife but we know next to nothing about her, and basically no other main character in the series is married).

Neiteio

Also I find it amusing with the waifu talk that RE7 will be the first time we've had a main RE character who has a wife and we actually know who the wife is and their relationship plays a role into the game itself (Barry has a wife but we know next to nothing about her, and basically no other main character in the series is married).
So I've been reading all of your threads, but I must have missed the talk about what we know of the characters in RE7. Care to give me a breakdown of all the characters so far? :-3

BadWolf

I couldn't be more happy with how they made Sherry return in the series, I thought it was a good continuation of her RE2 self and she was very likable in RE6. I also liked Jake a lot.

Jake and Sherry is so cheesy on paper, it sounds like the dumbest most fan-fictiony shit the series has ever pulled (the moody son of Wesker we've never heard of until now who has super human powers that teams up with Sherry Birkin from RE2 grown up who also has super human powers come together to relate because of their twisted fathers who used to be previous main villains in the series, and they fall in love and become goodguys). But somehow they managed to make both characters very likable, to the point most are willing to overlook the dumb set-up and just enjoy it for what it is. A prime example it's in the execution often when it comes to these things, I do think their VAs helped a lot to sell them.

Agreed, they were surprisingly well done and had good chemistry.

Sherry is probably one of the best examples in gaming of a child character making a good and proper transition to becoming an adult.

Neiteio

Sherry and Jake were both great characters. He's the bad boy with a heart of gold, and she's the pure angel who's been through tough times but still sees good in the world.

Their campaign is a bit frustrating (2-1 in the blizzard would be borderline maddening without L1 telling you where to go), but the characters and chemistry keep you going.

Neiteio

I finished Revelations this weekend and I started Revelations 2 yesterday. I am really enjoying both of these games! They really have more of the old school trilogy feel to me rather than 4,5, and 6. They feel like more a a true successor to the franchises roots. Complete with all of the cheese! Too bad they did not receive AAA marketing and budget. But then again they may have end up like 4,5, and 6 if they had AAA pressure applied to them.
HNNNG, I want a Revelations 3 so badly. Maybe they could include both Raid AND Mercs, now that RE7 no longer has Mercs.

Sherry and Claire team-up, please. The story could be (RER2 spoilers)
Alex Wesker, now in Natalia's body, tries to transfer herself to Sherry instead, since Sherry has regenerative powers and everlasting youth

So my run through Jake's campaign really became a waifu photo safari, thanks to the DS4 Share Button. I now have like 70+ screenshots of Sherry.

This deeply conflicts me, because I already chose Helena as my waifu. I feel like I'm cheating on her. But she's a bit of a wet blanket. "Blah blah blah, the president is dead; blah blah, my sister is dead; blah blah, 60,000 people are dead. SIMMONS!"

Sherry, on the other hand, tends to look at the bright side in life. Even after her dad turned into a monster and tried to impregnate her, and even after she spent 11 years in lockup being poked and prodded by scientists, and even after Capcom ignored her for five games, she still manages to see the good in people.

So yeah, I can't decide. Time to be polywaifuistic.

Post them.

:D

It's a shame that while Capcom integrated Jake's fighting/acrobatic abilities into the gameplay, they forgot about Sherry's abilities to heal/regenerate. Heck, if I remember correctly, after the helicopter crash those abilities aren't brought back again in the game at all.

Working it into the gameplay was such a missed opportunity. Other than that scene and a few "Supergirl" comments from Jake, we never see it again.

First and for all, it has the deadly C-virus gas that kills almost everyone on the plane except a pair of main protagonists for no real reason.

Ha, you got me there. C-virus gas was total bullshit.

Sherry and Jake was my favorite story line precisely because of the cheese factor. It was the only story that didn't have its head firmly shoved up its ass with how seriously it took itself despite the zany action going on or the utter stupidity going on in the plot. Like you said, the execution allows for you to just enjoy it for what it is. It also has my favorite line in the game:

Sherry: "You can blame your father all you want. But at some point you have take responsibility for your own actions" *Shoulder shoves him*

Neiteio

I still don't get many plot points regarding the zombie gas:

1) Why wasn't Leon affected by the gas attack on the campus? Wasn't he with the president the whole time?

2) I guess I understand why Helena wasn't affected, because she was detained by Simmons. I'm guessing she caught up to the president after the attack. But how did she not encounter any other zombies along the way? The whole town would've been overrun by that point. Remember, she and her sister had been held in the lab under the cathedral.

3) How did Leon and Helena not turn to zombies like everyone else in the plane? They were fighting a gas-spewing Lepotitsa in a claustrophobic cargo hold. If anyone should've been affected, it was them.

I really wish they'd just come out and say all Resident Evil protagonists have really, really, REALLY good immune systems, lol.

In general, this series is hard to take seriously (story-wise) when these agents fight airborne pathogens and other biological threats, yet they never wear gas-masks and they rarely wear gloves.

In Rev 1, Jill sticks her bare hand into a vat of monster goo in Episode 1, and then into the mouth of a monster carcass in Episode 2. I hope she washed her hands thoroughly when she got home!

Ah well. The silliness of RE is half the reason I love it!

I still don't get many plot points regarding the zombie gas:

1) Why wasn't Leon affected by the gas attack on the campus? Wasn't he with the president the whole time?

2) I guess I understand why Helena wasn't affected, because she was detained by Simmons. I'm guessing she caught up to the president after the attack. But how did she not encounter any other zombies along the way? The whole town would've been overrun by that point. Remember, she and her sister had been held in the lab under the cathedral.

3) How did Leon and Helena not turn to zombies like everyone else in the plane? They were fighting a gas-spewing Lepotitsa in a claustrophobic cargo hold. If anyone should've been affected, it was them.

I really wish they'd just come out and say all Resident Evil protagonists have really, really, REALLY good immune systems, lol.

In general, this series is hard to take seriously (story-wise) when these agents fight airborne pathogens and other biological threats, yet they never wear gas-masks and they rarely wear gloves.

(In Rev 1, Jill sticks her bare hand into a vat of monster goo in Episode 1, and then into the mouth of a monster carcass in Episode 2. I hope she washed her hands thoroughly when she got home!)

Ah well. The silliness of RE is half the reason I love it!

It's all the Green Herbs they chow on, man.

Dusk Golem

So I've been reading all of your threads, but I must have missed the talk about what we know of the characters in RE7. Care to give me a breakdown of all the characters so far? :-3

So slight potential spoilers, but nothing too massive.

Well firstly RE7 actually will have a pretty extensive cast of characters, probably in big part due to the VHS systems you use in the game. It's confirmed from a leak that's been validated multiple times at this point RE7 has a cast of 20-30 characters, but I take it many of them are for these VHS sequences. We do already know of 10 of them though, some more than others.

Ethan is the main character of RE7, they've been very hush-hush on him and we only know the name for certain due to the ERSB rating (though the name Ethan had popped up a couple times and was mine and other's guess of who the main character is before this). We don't know much, but it seems his wife and him had a huge fight over something, and she went missing afterward. He seems to somehow suspect she's at this abandoned plantation and drives to go find her.

Mia is who is presumed is his wife, she's the woman who you play as in the Lantern demo and talks in the newest trailer. She mentions that Ethan 'was right', and that she's lied to Ethan about something. She also sends him a message that if he gets this to, "Stay away." She seems to be leaving recordings since she knows Ethan will come after her, but tries to tell him to leave her and forget about her, there's so much Ethan doesn't understand. Light spoiler,
Some suspect Mia is the daughter of the Baker family, but I actually don't think that's quite it. It would fit into some things, but there's also evidence against it

We also have the five/six members of the Baker family we know of.

Jack Baker is the father, he is abusive and the pants in the family, he has southern hospitality but quick to anger and let it out on others. He abducts people and makes them part of their 'family', and seems to be doing some sort of twisted experiments on people. He gets brutally violent when he's angry, and has signs he beats his wife, he literally breaks his son arm in front of you, and when Ethan refuses to eat he takes a knife to carve out your gums so you can't refuse.

Marguerite Baker is Jack's wife, she seems to be a worrywart and an abuse victim who gets obsessive-compulsive about things. Their house is in a state of disrepair, but she makes sure to water the flowers and keep certain things tidy. She calls Jack all sorts of things but listens to him and falls in line when he threatens to beat her and believes what they have is love. She also seems to have a hatred for other women, maybe out of self-loathing, and really has it in for Mia. She also seems to be obsessed with their dead daughter, and tells Mia that not following what Marguerite tells her to do is, 'spitting on her grave!"

Lucas Baker is their moody son, he is a bit of a prankster and is seen in the trailer throwing food at our face and insulting us for not knowing 'good food even if it hit us in the face!" He seems to have a passive-aggressive relationship with his father, he listens to him too but he doesn't exactly like his dad. We don't know much about him right now, but Lucas is said to be a 'major character' in RE7.

We also know that the Baker's had a daughter, she's in a family portrait in the demo update, and is mentioned by Marguerite. High chances are that she's the 'ghost girl' we see in the trailers and promotional material as the Baker's seem to think she's dead, and she's been kind of in the background of scenes.

Camille Baker is an elderly woman in a wheelchair who's part of the Baker family. We don't know anything about her right now outside of her name and that she's probably Jack's mother/Lucas' grandmother.

We also know know there's a black cop character we meet, but we know nothing about him. It's also confirmed we'll meet other characters in similar positions to ours. There's a file in the main game about the TV crew Sewer Gators we played as in the VHS sequence in the demo, so maybe they play a role in RE7 too? Not confirmed they will, but there is a newspaper article you find about them going missing in RE7.

Also, the leak has confirmed one of the returning characters in RE7, this is actually a spoiler so don't click if you want no spoilers:
Chris Redfield will play some sort of role in RE7, though whether as a cameo or in the ending or during a gameplay segment or what is not certain.

Agreed, they were surprisingly well done and had good chemistry.

Sherry is probably one of the best examples in gaming of a child character making a good a proper transition to becoming an adult.

I definitely agree.

This is the same game where Ustanak one hit kills Jake and Sherry through most of the game, then Jake beats him in a fist fight.

Neiteio

Thanks for the writeup, Dusk. A question about the Bakers: They appear to no longer be fully human, right? I mean, from what I've seen of Jack bursting through walls like the Kool-Aid Man, he appears to have superhuman strength. And they were eating rotten meat that would repulse any ordinary person. Almost like they're zombies in terms of appetite, but they still have healthy bodies (relatively speaking) and working minds (albeit insane).

Dusk Golem

Thanks for the writeup, Dusk. A question about the Bakers: They appear to no longer be fully human, right? I mean, from what I've seen of Jack bursting through walls like the Kool-Aid Man, he appears to have superhuman strength. And they were eating rotten meat that would repulse any ordinary person. Almost like they're zombies in terms of appetite, but they still have healthy bodies (relatively speaking) and working minds (albeit insane).

I think the game wants you to believe there's a possibility they're just humans at first, but no they definitely are no longer human. In the trailer Jack breaks Lucas' arm and he exclaims, "Ow, no, not again!", and there's other implications they have rejuvenating abilities. I also doubt they'll stay humanoid during the whole game, and it's been confirmed RE7 does have monsters and mutated creatures in it, but there's a smaller selection of enemies and they're more 'personal', leading me to think the Bakers will get more and more mutated as the game goes on. The one mutated monster the leak confirmed is that one enemy in RE7 is
one of the, if not the, biggest creatures to appear in the series to this point, a giant underwater behemoth.

Neiteio

I think the game wants you to believe there's a possibility they're just humans at first, but no they definitely are no longer human. In the trailer Jack breaks Lucas' arm and he exclaims, "Ow, no, not again!", and there's other implications they have rejuvenating abilities. I also doubt they'll stay humanoid during the whole game, and it's been confirmed RE7 does have monsters and mutated creatures in it, but there's a smaller selection of enemies and they're more 'personal', leading me to think the Bakers will get more and more mutated as the game goes on. The one mutated monster the leak confirmed is that one enemy in RE7 is one of the, if not the, biggest creatures to appear in the series to this point, a giant underwater behemoth.
RE7 might have the biggest monster in the series to date?

So it'd have to be larger than Del Lago and transformed Salazar in RE4... and Uroboros Aheri in RE5... and Malacoda in Revelations 1... and Fly Simmons in RE6... and Javier's transformation in Darkside Chronicles. I think those are the biggest monsters so far, off the top of my head.

Dusk Golem

RE7 might have the biggest monster in the series to date?

So it'd have to be larger than Del Lago and transformed Salazar in RE4... and Uroboros Aheri in RE5... and Malacoda in Revelations 1... and Fly Simmons in RE6... and Javier's transformation in Darkside Chronicles. I think those are the biggest monsters so far, off the top of my head.

Those are the biggest to ate for certain, but we do know the game isn't just composed of southern hicks, I'd even take a swing to say those southern hicks won't stay humanoid, and the one mutation we have confirmed from a validated leak claims its one of the biggest monsters in the series to this point, and it's an underwater type. But we won't know until we know and all that.

The RE series has had some pretty big monsters, though.

Astral

I wonder if we'll see another classic monster return. The Lickers returning in 5 was one of the best moments in that game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I thought Sherry and Piers were my breakout new faves from RE6. Sad that we will only see one of them again (I hope).

I agree that Sherry's abilities were not well-integrated and would have liked to have seen more of that (and more of her backstory post-RE2... more than just "she was an experimental subject").

I think Helena is pretty boring/whatever, honestly. I think her butt is the main reason she keeps coming up. Nothing wrong with that, but she isn't terribly compelling without it. I play her because I like the hydra better than the 2x wing shooter as a special.... though both are pretty cool.

I hope we see Sherry again. With or without Jake tbh

JayEH

Going to play through Leon's campaign in re6 again tonight. I had to put down re6 over the summer because I was too addicted to mercs and neglecting some other games I wanted to play then lol.

While this is not confirmed, there are murmurs RE7 will be 12-16 hours long, and the game does have an unlockable bonus mode outside of Madhouse Mode, but to be seen, to be seen.

Eh, the broader point is that I'm realizing that the title just doesn't appeal to me. I'll wait and see, but at this point I'm really doubtful. Which makes me sad because I'm really getting into the franchise (RE 4 is already in my top 15 games of all time and will probably go up in subsequent replays and I really hope I'll get into Remake).

Neiteio

I thought Sherry and Piers were my breakout new faves from RE6. Sad that we will only see one of them again (I hope).

I agree that Sherry's abilities were not well-integrated and would have liked to have seen more of that (and more of her backstory post-RE2... more than just "she was an experimental subject").

I think Helena is pretty boring/whatever, honestly. I think her butt is the main reason she keeps coming up. Nothing wrong with that, but she isn't terribly compelling without it. I play her because I like the hydra better than the 2x wing shooter as a special.... though both are pretty cool.

I hope we see Sherry again. With or without Jake tbh
I actually think Piers should come back. Like his mutation allowed him to survive at the bottom of the ocean, and then a villain retrieved him and brainwashed him into hating Chris. Piers could then be a Ustanak-style stalker monster for Chris until Chris gets him to "shake out of it!" (to quote what he said to brainwashed Jill in RE5). And then they could find a cure to his mutation... or maybe he could stay a BOW and be the series' first "good guy" BOW, in this case with a wicked lightning hand!

Jawmuncher

So does anyone here "Really Like" the RE7 demo? I can understand being intrigued, but can't really understand anyone really liking it. Since it's more or less just a promise of things to come.

Neiteio

So does anyone here "Really Like" the RE7 demo? I can understand being intrigued, but can't really understand anyone really liking it. Since it's more or less just a promise of things to come.
I haven't tried it yet, despite RE being my favorite series. But I did watch some snippets of other people's gameplay. Mainly a guy walking around a kitchen rifling through cabinets.

Might take a break from Gears and Destiny to reacquaint myself with RE5 mercs and familiarize myself with more RE6 maps in prep for the tour stop Thursday.

Forgot about the one in Illinois today, so plan B it is.

Jawmuncher

Might take a break from Gears and Destiny to reacquaint myself with RE5 mercs and familiarize myself with more RE6 maps in prep for the tour stop Thursday.

Forgot about the one in Illinois today, so plan B it is.

I recall the challenges aren't too hard.

10 minutes to make the bell ring in RE4.
Resident Evil 5 - Score 20K in one round of mercs
Resident Evil 6 - Score 60K in one round of mercs

Man, so far I've always played RE6 with the classic laser aim, because that's what people recommended, but I gotta say, I switched to the default crosshair now and while it looks ugly, it's much better to hit far away objects. The heart of those giants in Chris Chapter 1 and the dudes on the helicopter in Chris 3 were always a pain to hit with the laser aim. I don't think RE4 and RE5 made it as difficult to hit distant enemies.

Top Bottom