• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

This will be RE2make

maxresdefault.jpg
Co-op?

Leon's campaign was overall my fave as well and yeah I agree, subsequent playthroughs of RE6 are more enjoyable than the first. The same was true for DMC4.

The nice thing about RE6 is that at the end of the day you do have four different campaigns at your disposal so replaying the game every now and then feels a lot less routine.

And the chapter select easily lets you skips sections of levels you don't like.

I'd be very, very surprised if REmake 2 doesn't look and play like a classic RE.

Leon's campaign is still definitely my favorite and I actually seem to like Helena more than most.

Post-release patches really helped the game, especially the added camera modifier.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I like Leon better just because fewer enemies with guns makes for more melee

Though I, too, usually play as Helena due to
the hydra

Jawmuncher

I personally think they're gonna try and combine modern and classic. Essentially making two different games in a sense.

Kinda like how there is modern and classic control in REmake. It'll be classic camera & controls or modern camera, and controls

BadWolf

Leon's is still definitely my favorite and I actually seem to like Helena more than most.

Post-release patches really helped the game, especially the added camera modifier.

Yeah Helena's a nice character, and good at handling Leon's one liners.

The ladies were generally pretty well made in RE6.

Kinda like how there is modern and classic control in REmake. It'll be classic camera & controls or modern camera, and controls

Game balance becomes an issue, much like how people recommend playing REmake with classic controls because the modern ones ruin the difficulty. Add in a switch to a 3D camera and they would have a big problem on their hands.

Focusing on one makes a lot more sense either way since it lets them make multiple RE games and all in different styles. First person for mainline, classic for REmake, RE4 style for Revelations etc.

Jawmuncher

I loved some of the banter in that DLC.

Chris: "What is it with this guy and cranks?"

Jill: "He's a man of refined tasted"

Chris: "He's obsessed, that's what he is"

So... Revelations?

To me Revelations 1 & 2 failed do that.

Yeah Helena's a nice character, and good at handling Leon's one liners.

The ladies were generally pretty well made in RE6.

Game balance becomes an issue, much like how people recommend playing REmake with classic controls because the modern ones ruin the difficulty. Add in a switch to a 3D camera and they would have a big problem on their hands.

Focusing on one makes a lot more sense either way since it lets them make multiple RE games and all in different styles. First person for mainline, classic for REmake, RE4 style for Revelations etc.

That's why I'm saying I expect there to essentially be two games. The balancing would be different between the two. So maybe a licker takes 3 shotgun rounds in classic and moves around like they did in 2. While in modern, they maybe take more hits, but you also have more ammo, and can freely aim.

Im sticking with this because we don't know what the budget is yet. But I see this being the case if they're going for $60. I don't think capcom even with RE0 and REmake success is willing to make a $60 classic style game still.

But perhaps it's skewed more towards budget and will be only $40 or something. But I feel like they'll be treating this like FF7 REmake. Since it will essentially be replacing the original re2.

There's also the whol capcom has yet to be able to appeal to all their fan bases yet outside rereleases. We've yet see an action game, classic game, and horror game released after each other of quality.

BadWolf

That's why I'm saying I expect there to essentially be two games. The balancing would be different between the two. So maybe a licker takes 3 shotgun rounds in classic and moves around like they did in 2. While in modern, they maybe take more hits, but you also have more ammo, and can freely aim.

Im sticking with this because we don't know what the budget is yet. But I see this being the case if they're going for $60. I don't think capcom even with RE0 and REmake success is willing to make a $60 classic style game still.

But perhaps it's skewed more towards budget and will be only $40 or something. But I feel like they'll be treating this like FF7 REmake. Since it will essentially be replacing the original re2.

There's also the whol capcom has yet to be able to appeal to all their fan bases yet outside rereleases. We've yet see an action game, classic game, and horror game released after each other of quality.

If REmake 2 is of REmake 1 quality then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to sell it at full price.

Jawmuncher

If REmake 2 is of REmake 1 quality then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to sell it at full price.

Quality is one thing, convincing more casual fans that they should play in that style is another. Not even FF7 kept the turn based combat style, and that was a showe-in. To me capcom is still scared of fully jumping head on into classic style only for a brand new game.

REmake and 0 both sold a million each, which is good across combined platforms. But capcom probably has higher goals than that for a new remake. Like I don't personally care how they do it. But some people need to be wary and not just assume it'll be REmake but with 2. It might end up being a bit more different than people expect.

While capcom wants to appeal to older fans, still seems like they also want to capture new fans as well. Which might be why they are having REmake as a PS+ title. To test the waters more in a general feedback. They know older fans and such are fine with it, but how do regular consumers take the style these days.

BadWolf

Quality is one thing, convincing more casual fans that they should play in that style is another. Not even FF7 kept the turn based combat style, and that was a showe-in. To me capcom is still scared of fully jumping head on into classic style only for a brand new game.

REmake and 0 both sold a million each, which is good across combined platforms. But capcom probably has higher goals than that for a new remake. Like I don't personally care how they do it. But some people need to be wary and not just assume it'll be REmake but with 2. It might end up being a bit more different than people expect.

Might be but this isn't a brand new game we are talking about, it's a remake of Resident Evil 2. If Revelations 2 can sell a couple of million copies then I have no reason to doubt that a remake of this caliber can sell well (and will continue to sell for years to come).

You may be right who knows but it makes more sense for them to focus on the classic formula imo, especially for this particular remake.

Jawmuncher

Might be but this isn't a brand new game we are talking about, it's a remake of Resident Evil 2. If Revelations 2 can sell a couple of million copies then I have no reason to doubt that a remake of this caliber can sell well (and will continue to sell for years to come).

You may be right who knows but it makes more sense for them to focus on the classic formula imo, especially for this particular remake.

Even as a remake, it's a new title in terms of funding, marketing, etc. Only real difference is they at least already have some nostalgia mind share on it.
I still think they're gonna try for once to cover both their corners. Depending on the dev size, it's possible.

Mr_Zombie

It's definitely not high-res to print enough as a poster. I actually can't remember when I downloaded the file from, but I printed it on a normal size piece of paper, which if you look close, has the resolution printed on the top! "790 x 1080".

It looks fine printed at that size, but it would be pretty blurry if printed any bigger.

Bummer :(
I would love to have the poster printed, but all the available pictures are too low-res for a quality bigger poster. It's especially frustrating since you can buy the poster... at Capcom Japan's page :/

I just replayed Leon's campaign in RE6 for the first time since 2012, this time on the PS4 remaster. I also played as Helena.

I have to say... It was really enjoyable. Really enjoyable. I mean, we already know the combat and mobility mechanics are top-notch once you learn them, but this I also enjoyed the journey, the pacing, the variety, all of the different fights, mild puzzle-solving and goofy set-pieces. There was a lot more downtime than I remember — chances to relax and reload, to explore off the beaten path, nicely contrasting the thrill-a-minute enemy encounters. Whole campaign is drenched in atmosphere too, with the slate-like shadows and flickering lights.

RE6 really benefits from a second playthrough. When you repeat the game you already know all the bullshit the game can throw at you, you are prepared for insta-kill QTEs, various clunky sections, sudden camera changes etc, so you can focus on the good things. And even with all its flaws, there are a lot of good things in RE6 campaign.

And I agree that some of the chapters are really well paced. I once analyzed Sherry's chapter 1: throughout the whole chapter you're in a constant rollercoaster of fast-paced action and downtime. After each boss fight, arena fight or a set piece you have a couple of empty corridors or an area to explore where Jake and Sherry can talk for a while, and you as a player can refill your ammo and herbs.

Also, Helena is a really well-designed character with good voice and personality but... she's wasted. First two chapters are basically: "Go with me, I have to show you something!". Then at the end of chapter 2 we finally get some progress and then... nothing. She - as a character - is completely forgotten by everybody; she becomes a co-op partner that tagged along but doesn't provide any substance for the story. She isn't even a centerpiece during the fights with Simmons which is especially bad because she got the biggest - personal - grudge against the guy (after all, he used her and killed her sister).

Neiteio

RE6 really benefits from a second playthrough. When you repeat the game you already know all the bullshit the game can throw at you, you are prepared for insta-kill QTEs, various clunky sections, sudden camera changes etc, so you can focus on the good things. And even with all its flaws, there are a lot of good things in RE6 campaign.

And I agree that some of the chapters are really well paced. I once analyzed Sherry's chapter 1: throughout the whole chapter you're in a constant rollercoaster of fast-paced action and downtime. After each boss fight, arena fight or a set piece you have a couple of empty corridors or an area to explore where Jake and Sherry can talk for a while, and you as a player can refill your ammo and herbs.
The only things that still felt like bullshit in Leon's campaign were the out-of-control vehicles that can kill you in Ch. 1. I got insta-killed by the subway train and by the ambulance crashing into the gas station, in both cases because I was grabbed by a zombie and had little to no warning. But it's no big deal. Sorta funny, really.

Incase anyone was still holding hope for some reason. No mercs in RE7.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentev...i_had_with_masachika/?st=ITYAALK4&sh=c98a3f26

Getting rid of the most popular side game in RE. Sounds smart.
Better be a standalone Mercs incoming.

Leon/Helena has the least amount of bullshit of all the campaigns. The enemies aren't bullet sponges, there are no shooting galleries, there are far fewer QTEs

I don't know how you can say this, The bosses are easily the most bullet spongy of them all, the Simmonsaurus especially. Every section almost is filled with QTEs also, more than any other campaign.

Manu

I hated that clone Ada face wall with a passion.

One of the best boss fights in the game, if not the best.

I don't know how you can say this, The bosses are easily the most bullet spongy of them all, the Simmonsaurus especially. Every section almost is filled with QTEs also, more than any other campaign.

Yeah, it was bad.

I also hated that sometimes the game would go to a loading screen and then a cutscene to show you the outcome of a succesful QTE instead of being integrated seamlessly into the game. When you shoot Simmon's foot and cause him to get hit by the train was especially bad about it. You hit his foot, so the game froze, there wasa loading screen, a custcene, then another loading screen, another cutscene, and then the game continued. It was dumb.

Had they make boss battles seamless, you'd hear less complaints about the game's bosses today.

Neiteio

I hated that clone Ada face wall with a passion.
I don't really remember how it plays, but Spore Carla was conceptually and aesthetically awesome. Some real Akira-style Tetsuo transformation shit. Love it. <3

Currently addicted to Mercs No Mercy with Schoolgirl Sherry on Requiem for War. Managed to kill 300 before the clock ran out, including the Gnezdo miniboss (fly lady) and two Ogromen (giant white BOWs).

RE6 Mercs No Mercy is seriously the Bayonetta of third-person shooters. (Yes, I've played Vanquish.) The stylish action, chain reactions and wanton destruction is simply astonishing at times.

Man, I can't help but pine for an RE7 that continued to build on this foundation. On the bright side, if this combat engine is limited to one game, it might as well be RE6 brimming with content (four campaigns, a half-dozen multiplayer modes, 10 maps, a bazillion monsters and transformations, etc).

Sherry > Helena

Definitely, Helena is pretty meh.
Ada is the best though and her campaign is my favorite as well.
Shame they had to ruin it with a fucking vehicle section in the end.
The rest is great though, no clunky setpieces or huge explosions, the graveyard has a legit RE vibe, it even has some puzzles.

Jawmuncher

The Chronicles games? They're pretty good, but hard as nails.

Even on easy they're hard if you're playing alone.

Beat UC and playing Darkside right now.
Biggest Conaplints

In UC you don't get points fast enough to upgrade weapons unless you play really good every time. They should have went with a more arcade feel with damage values to make a tighter experience. Also some of the story is just wut? The techno mr.X and stereotypical Russian bad guy sticking out.

In DC the biggest issues are once again the damage from weapons, due to needing to upgrade (pro tip stay focused on the pistol). The shaky as hell camera, and the bosses. Along with trying too hard to be cinematic.

The combination of the shaky cam and boss fights being what sticks out the most to me. Too many times you can't hurt a boss because the next part of the scene needs to be set up (but they can hurt you). Then the game asks you to hit specific spots to damage said boss, but has the camera shaking all over the place.

I'm currently in the CVX storyline and what I have played it goes like this.regular levels with no bosses are fine if a bit shaky. Levels with bosses become a pain in the ass unless you got hooked up with herbs and first aid spray and can just suck up damage.

The end of RE2 specifically stuck out as being terrible. Fighting the earlier forms of birkin, you have to be specific where you hit him. You also get a checkpoint between forms that doesn't replenish your health, and doesn't offer another healing item. Then mister X final form has you needing to specifically hit him and shoot a rocket at him. A rocket he can dodge which once again is shaking all over the place. The worst was pushing mr.x into the lava. He charges at you, can only be hurt by headshots, and the camera shakes like you're in a earthquake.

So I guess really DS suffers from shaky cam and specific hit points. Two things that should never be together.

But with that said I still prefer DS Chronicles to UC. The presentation is much better, as is the new story stuff. So UC plays better, while DC offers the more interesting content

Jawmuncher

I'm not sure if anyone posted this, but apparently PSVR is exclusive for 12 months for RE7. So the game may get PC VR support a year after launch, maybe.

It probably will. I don't see capcom skipping out on the chance for extra sales on another platform. Does sound like the exclusivity would limit it from ever happening on Xbox VR (if that happened) though.

Sony in a way was smart to pay for exclusivity for RE7 VR, even if timed. Capcom got more money in their pockets (Along with more than likely some other perks). While Sony has an actual game to promote that isn't a tech demo or small experience. RE7 is the first big VR title I think period that is a full-on playable game with it at launch. Not counting games like Half Life 2 or others, that got the support later or have hacked in support.

Dove back in to Rev 2 raid mode after taking some time off. Now I'm balls-deep in leveling characters for their unique skills so Moira can Inherit them. Going for a melee build with the Katana and a shitload of dodge/defense skills. Still gotta get Wesker for his evade-cancel ability, that's gonna be a shitload of grinding though.

Beat UC and playing Darkside right now.
Biggest Conaplints

In UC you don't get points fast enough to upgrade weapons unless you play really good every time. They should have went with a more arcade feel with damage values to make a tighter experience. Also some of the story is just wut? The techno mr.X and stereotypical Russian bad guy sticking out.

In DC the biggest issues are once again the damage from weapons, due to needing to upgrade (pro tip stay focused on the pistol). The shaky as hell camera, and the bosses. Along with trying too hard to be cinematic.

The combination of the shaky cam and boss fights being what sticks out the most to me. Too many times you can't hurt a boss because the next part of the scene needs to be set up (but they can hurt you). Then the game asks you to hit specific spots to damage said boss, but has the camera shaking all over the place.

I'm currently in the CVX storyline and what I have played it goes like this.regular levels with no bosses are fine if a bit shaky. Levels with bosses become a pain in the ass unless you got hooked up with herbs and first aid spray and can just suck up damage.

The end of RE2 specifically stuck out as being terrible. Fighting the earlier forms of birkin, you have to be specific where you hit him. You also get a checkpoint between forms that doesn't replenish your health, and doesn't offer another healing item. Then mister X final form has you needing to specifically hit him and shoot a rocket at him. A rocket he can dodge which once again is shaking all over the place. The worst was pushing mr.x into the lava. He charges at you, can only be hurt by headshots, and the camera shakes like you're in a earthquake.

So I guess really DS suffers from shaky cam and specific hit points. Two things that should never be together.

But with that said I still prefer DS Chronicles to UC. The presentation is much better, as is the new story stuff. So UC plays better, while DC offers the more interesting content

My biggest issue with UC were the ridiculously short reaction times for QTEs.

Getting rid of the most popular side game in RE. Sounds smart.
Better be a standalone Mercs incoming.

Yes, the bosses are bullet spongy, but the common enemy isn't. Chapter 4 of Chris' campaign was a fucking nightmare because of it. However, I played on amateur and normal (might do a Veteran and Professional run in a few months for Leon's campaign), so maybe this all becomes more of an issue during Leon's campaign on higher difficulties, but overall I never had that much of an issue with the bosses.

Another benefit of playing as Helena in Leon's campaign: She has a ton less QTE's (none in the car in Chapter 1, doesn't have the plane vehicle section, plays defense in Chapter 4 for the testing room, has no QTEs during the Ustanak fight, has a single QTE in the helicopter section for Chapter 5, and so on). So yes, playing as Leon would give you a lot more QTE, and one of the main reasons I don't play as Leon during replays besides the Hydra and Laura Bailey and I like the character (I like Leon, but not enough for QTEs). First time through Resident Evil 6 is a really rough time no matter how you slice it since you don't know how to avoid the bullshit.

Edit: Thinking about it, it may just be that I like the build up in Leon's campaign that I don't notice the QTE's as much. Backsliding down a torrent as you are shooting at Frankenfish and then finally blow it up with a TNT barrel or watching Leon and Helena stab the fish with metal rods as they fight underwater is so enjoyable that I don't mind the QTEs. Or climbing up the side of a flame engulfed building as it burns itself down as Simmons tries to take you out or fight Godzilla/King Kong Fly by impaling zombies with a lightning rod and electrocuting it before finally shooting it with a bazooka. It's so far up its own ass with how seriously it takes it but I'm having so much fun it doesn't matter.

Neiteio

^^^ You can actually set the QTEs to automatically complete themselves now in RE6.

Also, the Simmosaurus and other bosses have been rebalanced to be less spongy. They're really fun now! :)

^^^ You can actually set the QTEs to automatically complete themselves now in RE6.

Also, the Simmosaurus and other bosses have been rebalanced to be less spongy. They're really fun now! :)

Simmons was the epitome of "This isn't even my final form." Every time I thought the fight would end he would transform into some other shit

Jawmuncher

Simmons was the epitome of "This isn't even my final form." Every time I thought the fight would end he would transform into some other shit

Yeah even for me who likes transformation, it was a bit much.
Mainly due to the fact that he could transfer into huge creatures, then back to his human form. It just didn't seem right. Even as a more advanced virus. I think it should be you can get bigger, but you can't revert back.

Yeah even for me who likes transformation, it was a bit much.
Mainly due to the fact that he could transfer into huge creatures, then back to his human form. It just didn't seem right. Even as a more advanced virus. I think it should be you can get bigger, but you can't revert back.
Saddler does that a bunch in RE4.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not usually one of those, "The classics are better!!!11!!" type of people, but honestly I think that the older RE games got transformations of their monsters down a lot better than RE4 onward does for its big enemies (though the Las Plagas/C-Virus transformation is cool). The later entries kind of suffer from either going too over-the-top and missing feeling grounded and impactful, not in an especially cool or horrifically twisted way either, and also it hurts that the enemies themselves don't have as much presence in the games so them transforming loses impact since it always equates to one phase of a boss fight rather than feeling it's for something bigger.

Don't get me wrong, I love horrifically transforming mutant monsters in the RE games, even in the newer ones, but I think monster mutations is something the original series got down stat the newer entries have stumbled upon a bit, and this is just a general opinion, not a new vs old argument type of deal coming from someone who likes both the newer and older RE games about equally.

Golnei

Carla's transformation was pretty great visually, but I agree that for the most part they haven't really been handled as well as in earlier games; Wesker's mutation in particular was kind of a wet fart given the buildup - not monstrous enough to make an impact, not notably human enough to differentiate itself from other similar partial transformations like Krauser. Alexia Ashford was probably the point where it became a little questionable - as I've said before, it was a very stock superhuman take on things, and the whole 'uncanny but ethereally beautiful mutated creature constantly backed by operatic vocals' thing was done much better by Mitochondrial Eve years earlier. Though Alex Wesker in Revelations 2 wasn't too bad, despite retaining her personality and lucidity, they managed to paint her as sufficiently warped and horrific to not reduce the impact of her situation - the mutation being irreversible helped as well, as did the constant presence in both sides of the story.

Birkin is still probably the best transformation in the series in terms of how the narrative presents it, even though you never encounter him pre-mortem. Interesting to see if they'll expand on that much in the remake...

Lack of Mercs in RE7 doesn't really surprise me, if the game is slower type like game like they keep implying it's not going to lend itself well to the concept. And if you can't see the character that kills half the point. I'm sure they'll be a side mode of some kind, though.

Leon Chapter 1-3 are among the best chapters of RE6 and his final two chapters are among the worst because it's basically just gimmicky set pieces and cutscenes one after the other.

Chris' last two chapters aren't as good as the first three either. The game throws too many heavily armed enemies and snipers at you that melee becomes less of an option and as a straight up shooter, RE6 is just a bit too boring.

That sounds about right. The game throws a huge amount of bullshit first time player traps at you, from vehicles that come crashing at you out of nowhere (While also wrestling camera control away from you.) to scripted events that make it look like you're supposed to shoot the big, bad guy, but it's just a waste of ammo and all you actually gotta do is wait. (Chris chapter 2, when the giant comes stomping toward you while you're on the bridge, or the Simmons fight, when Leon has Ada in his arms and Simmons slowly comes waltzing towards you, etc.) It wasn't enough to make me dislike the game on my first playthrogh, and these things are easily avoidable if you know they're coming, but it shows a huge lack of polish compared to RE4 and to lesser extend 5.

I never played the game pre-patch, so I'm not sure if they nerfed the Deborah boss fight as well but if they did that was probably for the worse, each round is way too short until the next set-piece starts. Really disorienting your first time around. It doesn't help that some parts of the fight are again time based and the amount of damage you do to her doesn't really matter. It's a shame, beause there's actually a fun boss fight hidden beind the ADD pacing of it.

Mr_Zombie

I never played the game pre-patch, so I'm not sure if they nerfed the Deborah boss fight as well but if they did that was probably for the worse, each round is way too short until the next set-piece starts. Really disorienting your first time around. It doesn't help that some parts of the fight are again time based and the amount of damage you do to her doesn't really matter. It's a shame, beause there's actually a fun boss fight hidden beind the ADD pacing of it.

I've only played the PC version which did already include the patches (auto-QTE and camera modifications) but I don't think the bosses were touched back then. And even then the Deborah fight was pretty confusing with each section of the fight being very short. Before you could realize the pattern of Deborah's attacks, you already got another section, where you either run down to the bottom of the cave or ride the cart. And even in the cart the game has some kind of ADHD: one moment you are attacked by Deborah, next you have to quickly avoid crossbeams, then the camera is suddenly pulled away from you to show you an explosive barrel that you have to shoot, then Deborah attacks again and then - suddenly - the fight is over. First time I played the game I haven't even realized the tracks end with dead end and was surprised and confused when suddenly the boss fight was over; for a second - before the cut-scene began - I thought that there was some kind of time limit in which I had to defeat Deborah and I failed.

It's like the developers wanted to merge a boss fight and the cart ride section from RE4 but failed at both not realizing what makes a good fight and what was so enjoyable in the cart ride in RE4. The game doesn't give you enough time to adjust to the situation you are in and constantly throw something new at you.

Jawmuncher

The whole you need to beat the last boss in 10 minutes is rather lame in Darkside Chronicles. Mainly due to how the game is structured. More or less means you have to stockpile for the last boss and pray if it's your first attempt. Since if you fail, the only way to get more ammo is by replaying missions.

Made it to level 9 in the weekend showdown in Rev 2. Probably not that great but it's a personal best. Gotta keep grinding.

Finally got the Pale Rider Magnum too lol. Thing is ridiculous.

So, I've just been playing through a bunch of the PS4 Remasters and Capcom really couldn't be bothered to keep the controls consistent for some reason.

In RE4, if you select the classic control scheme, aim is on R1. That's fine, that's how it's always been. (The modern control scheme has shooting on L2 and R2 instead.)

Now in RE5, if you pick the classic RE4 control scheme, which I always do, aiming is suddenly on R2 instead of R1. Now I know between PS3 and 4 games a lot of Remasters and cross-gen games have the shoulder buttons reversed between systems because the DS4 triggers are much better, but at least try to keep it consistent within the same series of Remasters.

Which brings me to the REmake. So, since RE5, square has become the default action button while X is used to run. This has always been the case in Japan but prior to RE5 we had those buttons reversed.

Now RE4, 5 and 6 all follow the new standard but REmake reverts back to it's old ways, with square to run and X as your action button.

Haven't played the RE0 Remaster, but I'm curious what crazy control related shenannigans that game deals with.

Neiteio

Just tried Rooftop Mission in RE6 Mercs No Mercy. Got 300 kills but dropped the combo at 293. Still a great first run. It's chaotic but if you keep running circles around the chopper on the helipad, the multiple chainsaw enemies will hack the zombies chasing you, keeping your combo going, lol. Just watch out for the whoppers and bloodshots!

Top Bottom