• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

The film series may go down as one of the biggest guilty pleasure popcorn film series in history, each sequel got progressively worse reviews bit did progressively better in the box office.

Technically reviews improved from Apocalypse (2) onward. Also the last two actually did worse viewership at the box office, but the gross was inflated due to 3D sales. Even then Retribution (5) did worse than Afterlife (4)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wanted to report that I played through RE2 for the first time a couple weeks ago (Leon A Claire B). Just got done yesterday with A ranking Claire A and Leon B. It's not the hardest thing in the world, especially since PS1 version doesn't have hard mode (it really could have used one), but it was exhilarating beating the game in a couple sittings as fast as possible.

Look forward to beating 4th survivor. Then onwards to RE3.

Has anyone read any of the Resident Evil novels? I was curious, one of them popped up randomly on my Amazon feed. I'm sort of in a phase to read something but I've got nothing outside a book of essays that I'm slowly chewing through.

Has anyone read any of the Resident Evil novels? I was curious, one of them popped up randomly on my Amazon feed. I'm sort of in a phase to read something but I've got nothing outside a book of essays that I'm slowly chewing through.

As a RE fan you should get enjoyment out of them, but the canon goes very wrong due to later games releasing that effectively killed the author's story and original characters from previous books.

Read them in order if you're gonna do it.

I assume you mean the SD Perry Novels based on the games, not the movie related novels. They all got reprints a few years ago, so pretty easy to find now, new. e-book versions too.

As a RE fan you should get enjoyment out of them, but the canon goes very wrong due to later games releasing that effectively killed the author's story and original characters from previous books.

Read them in order if you're gonna do it.

I assume you mean the SD Perry Novels based on the games, not the movie related novels. They all got reprints a few years ago, so pretty easy to find now, new. e-book versions too.

Yeah, the SD Perry books. Didn't even realize there was novelizations of the movies lol.

Question on RE 6 Mercenaries:

Why does Shotgun ammo spawn for Leon but for none of the other character's more powerful weapons? Like Helena gets no more Hydra ammo, Jake gets no more Elephant Killer ammo, etc. I'm swimming in Shotgun ammo by the end of some of these runs.

JayEH

I guess it's since things like the magnum kill in one or two shots. it's the trade off you're making. Less powerful weapon (shotgun) but more ammo or more powerful but no drops.

I loved the Perry books. I read them in middle school and did a few book reports on them (much to my English teachers' dismay
KuGsj.gif
). Even though they weren't canon, if you treat them as their own self-contained universe, they're solid novels that add a lot of extra detail to the story.

I loved the Perry books. I read them in middle school and did a few book reports on them (much to my English teachers' dismay
KuGsj.gif
). Even though they weren't canon, if you treat them as their own self-contained universe, they're solid novels that add a lot of extra detail to the story.

I'm okay with that. How's the writing? I'm assuming not a masterpiece of the English language, but decent to good at least?

I'm okay with that. How's the writing? I'm assuming not a masterpiece of the English language, but decent to good at least?

It was understandable to 12-year-old me, so I don't think the language was anything complex or difficult. If you mean in terms of storytelling I had no major issues that I can remember. In many cases the storytelling was actually better than the games.

I do remember excessive swearing added to character dialog that seemed out-of-character for some of them. That's the only thing I remember finding off. In-game, the protagonists in RE games are generally cool-headed despite what's going on around them, so seeing them really pissed off and swearing like sailors was weird.

Mr_Zombie

One thing I like about Perry's novels is how she incorporated puzzles into the story. Characters actually do solve puzzles in the novel, pick up familiar items (sometimes even in the exact same place they were in the game), wonder why the heck someone uses this and that to lock up a room etc. It was kind of fun to read.

Kuraudo

Banned

I really liked the novelisations of the first three games, and the second original novel (Underworld, I think). I couldn't get through the first original one or the CV novelisation, and never bothered with Zero.

I was fourteen or fifteen when I read them though, and was pretty taken with the novelty of having novels of a videogame series, so not sure if they'd hold up for my more critical adult self.

Nudull

Banned
Do Perry's novels hold up, nowadays? I've only read City of the Dead (aka RE2) as a kid, and it'd be nice to read through the entire series.

Mr_Zombie

CV novelization was kind of bad from what I remember. About 2/3 of the book was spent on Claire's part of the game, detailed descriptions and all, and then Chris' part was rushed in the rest of the book as if she realized that "oh shit, there's another half of the game and I have a deadline next week!".

Also, it has this piece of dialogue:
Wesker: "I plan on going myself, see if I can get an experiment or two of my own going ... tell me, is your sister good-looking? Do you think she might be interested in getting some action, because I've got a hard-on like you wouldn't believe..."

:|

Zero novelisation was pretty good for what it was - a novelization for a game that hardly has any story (but lots of backstory). So the book focuses on the same thing the game is: characters wandering around, picking items, solving puzzles, fighting enemies etc.

Jawmuncher

CV novelization was kind of bad from what I remember. About 2/3 of the book was spent on Claire's part of the game, detailed descriptions and all, and then Chris' part was rushed in the rest of the book as if she realized that "oh shit, there's another half of the game and I have a deadline next week!".

Zero novelisation was pretty good for what it lookwas - a novelization for a game that hardly has any story (but lots of backstory). So the book focuses on the same thing the game is: characters wandering around, picking items, solving puzzles, fighting enemies etc.

That hard on made jake instead. She was ahead of her time.

Well, that about proportionate to the game itself. The majority of it is played as Claire, and Chris's is a kind of accelerated version of her's.

Damn.

PaulBizkit

Oh god, Off Topic reminded me that the Resident Evil live action movie series is a thing. Has anyone here watched them all?

I like the second one because it has many characters from the games making an appearance. Besides, the Nemesis costume is great.

The first one was kind of meh and 3, 4 and 5 are waaay different from the games. They are cool action flicks to leave playing while you eat or just hang around though.

Veelk

Banned
I'm thinking of buying RE4 for the PS4.

Can anyone let me know what, if any, special features are in this version of the game?

Nudull

Banned
God, I still remember being excited about the first live-action film and Apocalypse. I didn't mind Alice at first, and I would've hoped that they would get closer to the games. Then it just straight-up fell off the rails. o.o

Jawmuncher

God, I still remember being excited about the first live-action film and Apocalypse. I didn't mind Alice at first, and I would've hoped that they would get closer to the games. Then it just straight-up fell off the rails. o.o

Pretty much. I like the first two And then the rest just got way overboard. Though Still with some enjoyable scenes

I like the first RE film pretty well. It's not really close to the game plotwise, but I feel it gets the tone and feeling of the early games pretty well. The idea of unknown discovery, weird enemies that progressively get weirder and scarier, and bits of over-the-top action sequences. The second film just totally discarded all of that. I mean, sure, it had more game characters, but it was completely opposite what the games were like at the time. It turned the whole thing into a big B-movie lovefest, which is fine and enjoyable in its own right, but I feel like if they would have followed through and developed more from the first film more, it would have been better.

Having said that, I have all the films on Blu-ray, and I'll watch Final Chapter. I still get a good time out of each of them.

60 fps 1080p with missing effects from gamecube version.

Missing effects? Really?

finley83

Banned
Missing effects? Really?

The HD remaster restores some specular effects (most noticable on inventory items and the typewriters) that were missing from most other ports, such as the PS3 and 360 versions. The GC and Wii versions ran on the original hardware so weren't compromised in any way.

Well Dead Rising seems to be getting the RE treatment. 3 games, digital only in EU, individual disc in US, same pricing.

No triple pack disc for EU. RE will likely not get one either.

edit:, No DR OTR disc in US either it seems, but this makes it sound pretty near to confirmed we not ever getting RE remasters on disc, so get importing. (or buy from 365games.co.uk, seems they imported some copies to sell)

Sorry, OTR retail disc version is not happening. Crunching numbers, COGS of a physical product at a $19.99 price point vs. expected sales volume (relative to DR1 and DR2) just did not work out. Europe region in particular is even more challenging at that price point, and it leaves *very* little margin to make it worthwhile unless we jack up the price. At the end of the day, we are a publicly traded company and need to ensure products are still profitable while reaching as many users as possible . :)

Sub_Level

Beat RE3 yesterday. Pretty fun game. Very derivative from RE2 obviously but introduced some neat stuff like quick turning and gunpowders. The dodge mechanic was hit-or-miss, pun intended. I also appreciated that the difficulty was a notch higher than RE2. I still like REmake and RE2 much more, however.

So I tried Code Veronica and shut it off after 10 minutes. That character Steve is pretty awful. I'm not going to put up with that shit.

kogasu

Just saw the trailer for the last movie. I feel like I don't know what to expect but I've always had a like/hate relationship with them anyway. I watch them and I can enjoy the dumb over the top action, I just kinda wish it wasn't repping Resident Evil because it's definitely missing some elements lol. Also, I was always pretty "meh" on how in the later movies, they kinda just shoehorned in characters and creatures from the game oh, but hey, now they can do cool things or whatever.

Ehh, I'm sure I'll watch this last one at some point.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Speaking of trailers, do we have a set date for the CG movie's trailer. I've been hoping TGS, but didn't know if they had committed.

It's a reasonable expectation, isn't it? Or is it? If they do a new demo for 7 and release a new trailer that's a lot for one event

Jawmuncher

I will admit I quite like this movie poster that surfaced.

mVlNJp0.jpg

If you look at all the resident evil posters, I've always felt theyve all been prett meh. Not gonna lie. If it wasn't for the name RE I wouldn't be watching any of these .

I can't wait for the movies to start something fresh after 5 years. The movies would benefit greatly with a more horror feel.

I'm currently playing Darkside Chronicles for the first time. I think this is probably the only Resident Evil game I've yet to play barring things like obscure cell phone games and such.

I actually greatly enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, but I think I was feeling lukewarm on the series around the time DC came out, and just never quite got around to it. I've only played up to the end of the RE2 scenario, the production values are impressive and as with UC it's very entertaining to see the abridged versions of the games with lots of spectacle thrown in. Plus I just love rail shooters.

The camera can get annoying once in awhile but it's usually manageable, the only time it really bothered me was during one boss fight. There are also some moments where the game feels oddly cheap, like when Leon narrating certain important events between missions rather than just taking a few second to show them. Or how the RE2 scenario ended without a proper climax. I was expecting a big explosion, but it just sort of ends. Still, it always feels good to play a new Resident Evil game for the first time.

Jawmuncher

I'm currently playing Darkside Chronicles for the first time. I think this is probably the only Resident Evil game I've yet to play barring things like obscure cell phone games and such.

I actually greatly enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, but I think I was feeling lukewarm on the series around the time DC came out, and just never quite got around to it. I've only played up to the end of the RE2 scenario, the production values are impressive and as with UC it's very entertaining to see the abridged versions of the games with lots of spectacle thrown in. Plus I just love rail shooters.

The camera can get annoying once in awhile but it's usually manageable, the only time it really bothered me was during one boss fight. There are also some moments where the game feels oddly cheap, like when Leon narrating certain important events between missions rather than just taking a few second to show them. Or how the RE2 scenario ended without a proper climax. I was expecting a big explosion, but it just sort of ends. Still, it always feels good to play a new Resident Evil game for the first time.

I took a break and haven't come back since playing the Birkin fight in that game. I kept dying when he snacks you while holding on the rail. Since the game at least for me was being oddly specific about needing to hit him in the eye. Despite doing so.

Mr_Zombie

The game has nice production values but IMO it's not a good game. It puts too much emphasis on cinematic experience, hence the wierd loose camera, scripted boss encounters (during the first battle with Birkin I depleted his life very quickly but the fight went on because the script required it, even though there was no life bar for him), too many "running away from enemies" scenes (especially annoying during boss fights), too many slow-walk while talking scenes etc. Umbrella's Chronicles was much more fun to play due to its arcadey nature.

Beat RE3 yesterday. Pretty fun game. Very derivative from RE2 obviously but introduced some neat stuff like quick turning and gunpowders. The dodge mechanic was hit-or-miss, pun intended. I also appreciated that the difficulty was a notch higher than RE2. I still like REmake and RE2 much more, however.

So I tried Code Veronica and shut it off after 10 minutes. That character Steve is pretty awful. I'm not going to put up with that shit.

I thought it was pretty different from RE2 actually. 2 is essentially 1 but expanded in scope, swapping the mansion for a police station (and increasing amount of enemies and whatnot). 3 not only adds dodging, ammo mixing, live descisions, and nemesis constantly stalking you, but greatly mixes up the pacing and level design by not having one central location but has an almost linear succession of mini hub levels, which gives it a more driving and action packed feel to it.

Sub_Level

I thought it was pretty different from RE2 actually. 2 is essentially 1 but expanded in scope, swapping the mansion for a police station (and increasing amount of enemies and whatnot). 3 not only adds dodging, ammo mixing, live descisions, and nemesis constantly stalking you, but greatly mixes up the pacing and level design by not having one central location but has an almost linear succession of mini hub levels, which gives it a more driving and action packed feel to it.

I'll agree that it was more action packed. Despite playing on 'hard mode', there were just a few zones where I skipped enemies. I killed so many more monsters than the other games

Top Bottom