• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

holy shit is that game even possible without a guide ?
i should have started on easy difficulty...
Yeah. I only cheated on one puzzle and I'm halfway through the game. A little trial and error but I recommend you look at your map when you feel lost. Shows you which rooms still have items in it.

Jobbs

Banned
When this game looks good, it looks good.

BelatedDeliriousCuttlefish.gif

Just got done playing for the night, and my god I died so many times. I barely have any health because I'm having trouble getting around zombies. I feel like maybe I should've put the game on easy.

Some tips for getting around zombies in cramped hallways would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got done playing for the night, and my god I died so many times. I barely have any health because I'm having trouble getting around zombies. I feel like maybe I should've put the game on easy.

Some tips for getting around zombies in cramped hallways would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any :)

I like to kinda hug the side of a wall so they move a bit out of the center, then you can generally get around them.

Or you try to get really close and walk backwards to make their lunge miss. It's harder but useful to learn.

StewboaT_

Damn, this game is actually pretty damn creepy. I'm officially a believer in tank controls with prerendered backgrounds. Makes me yearn for a new resi in this style, although, any more realistic and I'd prob be too afraid to play it. Hah.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You just really need to understand how the game works and nail down your path as early as possible.

First of all, you should be using Chris for any of these difficult runs. He has more health (1400 points as opposed to Jill's 960) and handles the knife better than Jill. He can recover more from each swing of the knife. He also gets healed by Rebecca twice throughout the game so you can easily use that to heal and save yourself items. Similalry, there's a pot of herbs on the balcony where you use the dog whistle. Feel free to use and abuse that and save your healing items for something more pressing.

Secondly, you shouldn't be killing anything except for bosses. You don't even need to kill the Black Tiger if you're good enough at manoeuvring. This removes the Crimson Head problem from the equation - you'll only ever encounter one (two if you count a boss) and it's very easy to avoid.

Thirdly, don't try and compound the knife playthrough with anything else because it just makes things unnecessarily stressful. Allow yourself to save before and after each major encounter. It'll make my fourth point potentially more pallateable.

Fourth(ly?) if you're not very good with moving you can simply load up on First Aid Sprays and Herb Mixes and run into a boss battle and just attack the enemy, healing whenever you need to. You'll inevitably take damage, but by the time you get to the end of your healing items you should've defeated the boss.

Don't save anybody. It just adds a second Tyrant battle to the game and complicates matters even more.

For Plant 42, just go underneath his core and slash at each tentacle. They'll slowly wither and the whole thing will just die.

For Yawn, just chase after his tale and hack at it as much as you can. Don't be greedy, and you'll be able to finish this battle without getting hit.

The Elder is a bit harder and the biggest struggle for me. I just had to brute force it and waste a few healing items during the battle. He'll eventually fall.

And don't be afraid to cut unnecessary stuff from your path. You don't need the Wind Crest in a Knife-only run, nor the broken shotgun.

I've got to head to work but I'll be on in about eight or so hours so I can chat more about it then if anything else I've missed comes up.

So you're saying not to kill the enemies in areas that you'll be backtracking through often?

My major worry is eating too much damage and not having enough healing items. I feel ballsy enough to do a knife run after all these years but I gotta get my "juke" skills back and maybe learn to finally knife-kill things. Did they remove that stupid "no defense items or stomping heads" restriction on it?

I also had no clue the balcony had infinity green herbs. :eek: All this time I have never really needed that many herbs so I have never really gone to that spot to ever know if there was anything beyond two(?) growing there.

Does anyone know if beating the game on Real Survivor earns the Hard trophy as well?

Unless you're able to choose "hard" while choosing that mode: Doubtful.

Lisa Trevor still gives me nightmares to this day. Holy shit.

I'm back at the Mansion. Fucking Hunters appeared and kill'd me with just two hits. Still the GOAT, Mikami. You did well.

This game looks STUNNING at times. I'm in awe at some of the work done here. It's a shame that the rest of the upscaled 640x480 backgrounds look terrible.

Damn, I am getting terrible at games in my old age of 38. I had no issues with the Playstation version years ago. Now I'm playing this and struggling to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do next.

I guess I have gotten used to games holding my hand more. :) Having fun though. Besides the annoying door animations as I go back constantly to safe rooms.

As a kid, I made my own maps for where things were. Haven't done that on any game since though :(

-MD-

What's up with the Giant Bomb quick look? I don't watch there stuff so if anybody can give me a run down.

The guy playing admits to not liking the game and the other guy has never played the game.

Dude mentions how much he loves RE4/5 a few times, runs around the mansion with full inventory and then complains multiple times when he can't pick up an item all while playing on very easy using the new controls. It's just tough to watch cause I know this is how a lot of people are these days.

I like to kinda hug the side of a wall so they move a bit out of the center, then you can generally get around them.

Or you try to get really close and walk backwards to make their lunge miss. It's harder but useful to learn.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them out, hopefully it'll make things easier for me :)

The guy playing admits to not liking the game and the other guy has never played the game.

Dude mentions how much he loves RE4/5 a few times, runs around the mansion with full inventory and then complains multiple times when he can't pick an item all while playing on very easy using the new controls. It's just tough to watch cause I know this is how a lot of people are these days.

What is he 10 years old? How do you not grow up with the old school RE's?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... One Dangerous Zombie mode isn't a toggle this outing.

Way to go on fucking that up Capcom. :/ Guess I have to make three saves (one with it, two for Chris/Jill's outfits) again. Wonderful.

shwimpy

getting weird framerate issues after the update (pc version). it gets super sluggish in one room and solid 60 in others. was perfect yesterday before the update. :/

Just played my first proper session as Chris on Normal with the BSAA costume. Original controls and 4:3, using a 360 wired controller.

Gamecube or Wii Nunchuck would make walking in a straight line a lot easier. Even in Code Veronica on the Dreamcast I used the d-pad rather than the analogue stick, but the 360 d-pad is so bad that isn't really an option. Using default controls B. I might use my 360 fight pad and play it like the Saturn version.

Amazing game, I'd forgotten so much about the redesigned areas, like going to the kitchen earlier and all the small key doors that Jill can just open with the lock pick become a little more tricky with Chris. 2 saves so far, one after opening all the Sword room doors and another after opening all the armour room doors.

Love how it looks, it runs perfectly at 1080/60 - really happy with the Steam purchase. A steam forum thread had the solution for my white border issue too, so now it looks perfect. I'm not noticing a lot of low res backgrounds, I guess I'm just too focussed on avoiding enemies to notice. Killed more zombies than I'd like only burned a few... I'm taking the risk that I wont have to backtrack through certain areas too often later in the game.

Can't wait to play more. The only thing that's mildly annoyed me so far is that Chris' voice doesn't match the new buff BSAA character model as much as the default one. So I'd recommend playing with the default first if you've never played REmake before.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If you're not a good speed runner you can always do it in segments. Using ink ribbons shouldn't take up THAT much time.

How long will it take the average gamer to complete? Those speed runs are scaring me. :)

I remember my first run as Jill on the original game was 12 hours. My first run on the REmake back in 2002 as Jill was around 9 hours. Don't worry about the length of the game unless you're using a guide. There's no way you'll get through it anywhere near the speed run times.

Plus there are 2 characters to play as, several different endings and whole bunch of reasons to replay the game on harder difficulties.

OuterLimits

So what are the differences between difficulty levels? I admit I am currently playing the first time on Easy. Is it less enemies, or more ammo and herbs at easier difficulty? I apologize if this has been asked and answered multiple times.

Played for about an hour and didn't use any ink ribbons thinking I got this and then died from some guy hanging around a corner. Why do bad things happen to good people?

Might not be much, but I just finished my first playthrough with a knife only, playing Chris just barely under 3 hours (on very easy). Well, not really my /first/ playthrough since I've played this way back on the GC. It was seriously fun as hell! I'd never done a speedrun or a knife run before so I was nervous as hell. Especially since I was doing the no saves achievement.

Grief.exe

How long will it take the average gamer to complete? Those speed runs are scaring me. :)

This is my first time playing Resident Evil 1 in any form and it has taken me about 10-11 hours without using a guide.

Don't worry about speed runs now, I'm only one time through the mansion and I know the thing like the back of my hand already. By the time you are gearing up for higher difficulties, speed, and knife runs you will be ready to go.

HeelPower

Just beat the game.

Took me 11 hours 15 minutes.Felt very long and substantial and it was my first time through.I imagine it would have taken me much had I chosen higher difficulty.

I don't think you have to worry at all considering its just $20.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those who are curious about modding for REmaster on PC, it's only been a couple days so most won't pop up until later, but a few small things are already out.

*a bunch of mods*

This is awesome, thanks for sharing this. I love seeing what modders do with older games like this.

That would actually be a great comparison.

Alo, have any screenshots of the areas that have been redone for this release?

I don't have the Steam version yet so I don't actually know exactly what areas were redone, but I do have some miscellaneous screenshots, and one from the furnace room since I KNOW that room was redone.

At native res
dolphin_2015_01_22_00_07_50_64_by_aloooo81-d8ewoay.png

Stretched to fullscreen 1920x1080 but letterboxed 4:3 (how you would see it on a 1920x1080 TV)

And just for comparisons sake, rendered at high resolution in Dolphin, no other tweaks.

Those backgrounds that used to be video backgrounds look SIGNIFICANTLY better in the REmaster.

Also, Jobbs posted a great example from this area and I thought a comparison might be interesting.

moonlight_hallway_by_aloooo81-d8ewpfi.gif

(It is a slightly faster speed than usual)

Might not be much, but I just finished my first playthrough with a knife only, playing Chris just barely under 3 hours (on very easy). Well, not really my /first/ playthrough since I've played this way back on the GC. It was seriously fun as hell! I'd never done a speedrun or a knife run before so I was nervous as hell. Especially since I was doing the no saves achievement.

Any tips on taking down enemies with the knife? I'm terrible at it, most knife fights end up being a turn based RPG fight: I strike, zombie bites, I strike, zombie bites etc.

Dude Chris on hard mode is no fucking joke.

I'm sitting there with danger health from getting bit twice with zombies up the ass and 8 bullets and one green herb and limited inventory slots.

I finished Jill on Mountain Hike difficulty without ever dying, and finishing the game with enough ammo and herbs to win world war III. So I didn't think Chris on hard with be -that- hard.

Fuck this game.

Any tips on taking down enemies with the knife? I'm terrible at it, most knife fights end up being a turn based RPG fight: I strike, zombie bites, I strike, zombie bites etc.

I generally skip the zombies that I really don't need to fight, I just run past most of them. The zombie that I did have to fight was the
crimson head in the coffin
. The general tip is to circle around the enemy until they make an attempt at hitting you, then hit their back, fall back, then repeat. It's still almost like a turn based RPG fight, but after you strike, you make an extra move to run out the way. If you skip the zombies, you can save your herbs or first aids on the real important fights like mandatory boss encounters. Good luck!

I generally skip the zombies that I really don't need to fight, I just run past most of them. The zombie that I did have to fight was the
crimson head in the coffin
. The general tip is to circle around the enemy until they make an attempt at hitting you, then hit their back, fall back, then repeat. It's still almost like a turn based RPG fight, but after you strike, you make an extra move to run out the way. If you skip the zombies, you can save your herbs or first aids on the real important fights like mandatory boss encounters. Good luck!

Thanks dude! I guess I'm just being to aggressive and thinking I can get in a few strikes before backing off. I'll try this out though!

Top Bottom