• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Seyavesh

the main thing that sticks out to me playing this now is the sound design

like man, every single gun shot sounds so powerful

the footsteps, the switch between ambient noises and pure silence
it's sublime

Started playing earlier. The only gameplay change I wanted was a way to reload outside of the inventory and they actually added it. So happy. Game is pretty much perfect now.

KalBalboa

Banned
Love playing this at night with my gold headset on. Reminds me of the good ol' days of playing Resident Evil 2 until 2 AM.

Baloon- how do you do the manual reload? I'm using scheme B.

Mr_Zombie

Wow, this game is beating my sorry ass like no other. Last year I replayed both RE2 and RE3 and it was a breeze. But REmake... I already died twice, and I'm not even that far from the beginning (still only have the sword key). I'm trying to avoid killing zombies as much as I can and I'm doing fine with that - right now I have only one zombie killed. But dogs are another story - they are fast and relentless, much more than they were in previous games. Two bites from a dog and a single bite from a zombie and my Jill was dead.

It doesn't help that I screwed up and after entering the "dog corridor" for some reason I returned to the main hall. To my horror - Barry was there and gave me acid rounds, which means no Jill sandwich and no free shotgun for me. :(

I replayed the original RE1 a lot of times so I know the original mansion and its puzzles like the back of my head. But yesterday I was literally stumped - I had no idea where to go. If you've played RE1 then REmake is constantly screwing with you by changing the flow of the game, moving key items around and replacing puzzles.

On the other hand, it's nice to finally have a RE game where I feel lost again; just like old times.

Wowwwww.

I knew keyboard/mouse controls would get to me eventually. In the room where
the classic game usually has the second Yawn battle and you move the statue to stop the walls from closing in,
I pressed the switch and began running back. Suddenly, the camera angle changes and as I press another direction to weave into the tight doorway, Jill changes direction and begins running back TOWARD the danger.

I died.

Dude Chris on hard mode is no fucking joke.

I'm sitting there with danger health from getting bit twice with zombies up the ass and 8 bullets and one green herb and limited inventory slots.

I finished Jill on Mountain Hike difficulty without ever dying, and finishing the game with enough ammo and herbs to win world war III. So I didn't think Chris on hard with be -that- hard.

Fuck this game.
I watched a bit of your stream man that shit is insane haha how far did you make it?

Frodo

Got this yesterday, what is the consensus on the control method? Which one is better? Haven't played RE in over 10 years now, btw.

Got this yesterday, what is the consensus on the control method? Which one is better? Haven't played RE in over 10 years now, btw.

Both are functional but the new one kind of breaks the game since it was designed around the tank controls, it makes it much easier. To get the ideal experience you should play with classic controls, but if you really find them too frustrating then just use the new ones, despite the fact that RE GAF will judge you. But who cares just pick what feels best for your own style

With original controls this won't happen to you:

Wowwwww.

I knew keyboard/mouse controls would get to me eventually. In the room where
the classic game usually has the second Yawn battle and you move the statue to stop the walls from closing in,
I pressed the switch and began running back. Suddenly, the camera angle changes and as I press another direction to weave into the tight doorway, Jill changes direction and begins running back TOWARD the danger.

I died.

Thank you!
Dude Chris on hard mode is no fucking joke.

I'm sitting there with danger health from getting bit twice with zombies up the ass and 8 bullets and one green herb and limited inventory slots.
Yeah I'm playing Chris on Real Survivor right now and it's pretty damn tough (love the no auto aim however). Making good progress, though!
Can't believe this game has its claws in me once again after so many years.

Both are functional but the new one kind of breaks the game since it was designed around the tank controls, it makes it much easier. To get the ideal experience you should play with classic controls, but if you really find them too frustrating then just use the new ones, despite the fact that RE GAF will judge you. But who cares just pick what feels best for your own style

I ended up using both a bit yesterday, as the tank controls stay on the d-pad. So when I wanted a more precise and slower movement I used the d-pad. I like the new 3D controls, but they fuck up a little when the game switches screens, making you run in and out of a room a few times if you don't change the direction of the analogue stick quickly.

I ended up using both a bit yesterday, as the tank controls stay on the d-pad. So when I wanted a more precise and slower movement I used the d-pad. I like the new 3D controls, but they fuck up a little when the game switches screens, making you run in and out of a room a few times if you don't change the direction of the analogue stick quickly.

Yeah it seems worse in some areas than others, guess it depends on where the cameras are. But i frequently got turned around using them where that almost never happens with the classic ones

Lothar

Banned

It feels weird to pick the worse controls (worse just meaning it's harder to control) but as soon as you change to tank mode, the game instantly becomes 5x scarier.

leng jai

the main thing that sticks out to me playing this now is the sound design

like man, every single gun shot sounds so powerful

the footsteps, the switch between ambient noises and pure silence
it's sublime

Can someone second this? Might push me over the edge.

gconsole

What I dont understand is with that amount of RAM. Why this game still require loading in every single room. I understand if the old engine was design this way. But they could put a bit more afford to take advantage of better hardware. Going back and forth through the whole mansion really kill my experience. And i have played this game like million times already on both GC abe dolphin. Maybe newer game spoil me too much.

Frodo

With original controls this won't happen to you:

It feels weird to pick the worse controls (worse just meaning it's harder to control) but as soon as you change to tank mode, the game instantly becomes 5x scarier.

Tank is the way to go, then. I'll see how I adapt. Thanks. :)

gelf

My favourite thing about the sound design in classic RE games is that you can instantly tell what creature is in the room with you even if the camera angle doesn't let you see it. Hearing that click click walk of the Hunters and not knowing where it yet can be harrowing if your low on health and need to get back to a save room..

synce

Any mods yet? And what would be a good site to check for any?

Edit: Nevermind I'm so silly I didn't even see the post above mine

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are there any Shareplay restrictions on this? If I get someone to kill the Spiders for me, will it lock me out of trophies?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
holy shit is that game even possible without a guide ?
i should have started on easy difficulty...
Completed the original with both characters on a rental with no memory card, it can be done.
But this has shown me how little time I have to myself, two days and still in the mansion
I only get time to move from a to b before having to go to bed for work ffs.

Roldan

Played a lot yesterday. I'm on my way to the
courtyard
, but I skipped the
room in the mansion with the bees and the water tank
. What am I supposed to do there?

Jawmuncher

Love the avatar.

Bumhead

Banned
Played a lot yesterday. I'm on my way to the
courtyard
, but I skipped the
room in the mansion with the bees and the water tank
. What am I supposed to do there?

The bee room gets you the Wind Crest which you'll want for a particular item (won't spoil what, or when you'll get it). In the bee room, you need to search for 3 items. 2 of them can be combined, which will trigger an event which unlocks the Crest you need.

By water tank room, I take it you mean with the plant tentacles and the water pump? There you'll need the chemical, which can be found in one of the outside areas, through a silver door just beyond the dog corridor.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I think you might mean one room with both those things in, in which case I have no idea. You could potentially ignore all of the above just then!

Thats REremake.
All of REmake with additional Barry and Rebecca campaigns, complete all four for the secret Wesker campaign.

"Buy REremake today and finally experience the canon ending!"

Personally, I always like to think that Chris's scenario is canon and Barry just made his way back to Raccoon City on foot, through the forest with just his magnum and fists. It's the most fitting explanation and it all works with what's in the game.

Melchiah

That's my main problem with the 3D controls, although I like them otherwise. At times when the viewpoint changes I end up going in circles, and I imagine that might lead to an untimely death when I'm trying to escape from something chasing me. It happened in Heavy Rain's Taxidermist DLC as well.

Roldan

Just some goodies.

Huh, I feared it would have a key item. When I
get back to the mansion
, I'll check the room again. Thanks!

The bee room gets you the Wind Crest which you'll want for a particular item (won't spoil what, or when you'll get it). In the bee room, you need to search for 3 items. 2 of them can be combined, which will trigger an event which unlocks the Crest you need.

By water tank room, I take it you mean with the plant tentacles and the water pump? There you'll need the chemical, which can be found in one of the outside areas, through a silver door just beyond the dog corridor.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I think you might mean one room with both those things in, in which case I have no idea. You could potentially ignore all of the above just then!

Yeah, well... It is a room with both things. :p
The one where you get a
golden bee, attach a hook into it, etc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Huh, I feared it would have a key item. When I
get back to the mansion
, I'll check the room again. Thanks!

The one where you get a
In the bee room, you get the wind crest, which you can use in the Courtyard graveyard to get the magnum.

Bumhead

Banned
The one where you get a

Ah yes, I forgot there is a water tank in that room too, albeit an incidental backdrop and not anything you need to use or pay attention to.

1. Combine the hook and the gold Bee Lure.
2. Use the combined Hook and Lure on the display cabinet just to the right of the door (from the doors perspective).
3. Place the remaining brown bee sample on the display cabinet to the left of the door, on the wall.
4. Push the button
5. You'll get the item you need. Don't bother trying to fight the enemy that attacks you at this point, just run out the door.

Top Bottom