• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Is this game's normal mode actually REmake's easy mode? I'm asking because I'm at the very beginning and I distinctly remember there being 2 zombies in the back where you place the arrowhead to get the key. They were to the left of the staircase, near the tree. I just grabbed the key but there are no zombies. Just wondering if I should restart now on a higher difficulty while it's still early. Sorry if this is asked and answered but this is a long thread.

Exodist

I really don't get this, what's so dated about them.

Original POV-agnostic controls:
-UP move forward
-DOWN move backward
-RIGHT/LEFT turn
-DOWN + RUN: 180 turn

This is so simple it boggles my mind people have issues with it.

Alternate: 360 degrees POV-dependent controls
a.k.a clusterfuck

To weigh in on this, I've tried the new Alternate controls and I can't control the character for shit with them. In a game where the camera perspective is still but constantly changing, controlling the character just makes sense, and its very easy to wrap your head around. I've never had a problem with tank controls and I still don't, and I still vastly prefer to the new controls. That said, if people want to use the new controls thats fine by me, but I do get annoyed when people say tank controls are just objectively shit, because they aren't. They were designed for the game and work well in junction with the game, just like the controls for the original Tomb Raider games of which I saw a thread recently.

what button is reload on PS4? My wife asked me and I can't remember without actually trying each button in game. Currently she's just doing it from the inventory menu

what button is reload on PS4? My wife asked me and I can't remember without actually trying each button in game. Currently she's just doing it from the inventory menu

Depends what control scheme you are using, it should show you when you go to your control settings.

For me (using B) it's hold aim and press square to reload.

Kssio_Aug

Allright, playing as Chris was being hard and I was at a hard sitatuion. So I started again but this time with Jill (again in Normal difficulty). And I can see already that her campaing, is indeed quite more easier. I've noticed already three different situations that was easier with her, then with Chris:

-
The 1st zombie encounter, where Barry kills it for you.
-
The bathroom at the 1st floor, where theres a zombie inside the bathtub. Jill kills him in the cutscene by stepping in his head; Chris just keep looking and then you have to kill it yourself wasting some ammo.
-
The shotgun. Barry saving Jill from that room while we can keep the shotgun really helps; while Chris needs to find the replacer first.

Now I've reached the same room as I was with Chris yesterday. But full of ammo since I have not shot any zombie till now.

Some questions:
1- Is it recommended to not kill zombies? I'm trying not confront them, cause I imagine that this way they wont turn into crimson heads, while I also save some ammo.
2- Will all these zombies, later in the game, be replaced by other enemies such as the hunters?
3- I'm aware I'm still at the very start of the game, but will it become much harder?
4- Now that I've reached the safe room, I saved for the 1st time, and I still have 7 ink ribbons I believe. Is it recommended to only save when reaching the safe rooms?

SonicBoom

This game is without a doubt one of my all time favorites... a true classic can't believe how well done this game was done back in 2002. Its better than majority of games today. Its a MASTER PIECE in videogame history. Thank You Capcom for releasing this game this gen too bad its not available on disk for the masses

Grief.exe

Some questions:
1- Is it recommended to not kill zombies? I'm trying not confront them, cause I imagine that this way they wont turn into crimson heads, while I also save some ammo.

At the start of my play through I was killing everything in the mansion, but then I had about 10 crimson heads running around at one point.

By The end of the game, I had select safe paths that I had cleared out entirely, then just dodged my way through the other corridors. That seemed to work out better for me.

It is good to discover all these things on your own.

Some questions:
2- Will all these zombies, later in the game, be replaced by other enemies such as the hunters?
3- I'm aware I'm still at the very start of the game, but will it become much harder?
4- Now that I've reached the safe room, I saved for the 1st time, and I still have 7 ink ribbons I believe. Is it recommended to only save when reaching the safe rooms?

1. You are correct. Kill and burn the ones in areas that you will backtrack through often, try to leave the rest as long as possible. If you need to get past them and can't evade, try just downing them with a few shots rather than killing them outright. Saves ammo and prevents them from turning crimson
2. I have no clue tbh it's been a while since I played.
3. The game does get harder later on to an extent, but you also get some more powerful weapons which help. Honestly I'm halfway through and the beginning seemed more challenging, but I don't remember the final portions very well so I can't say
4. You should save whenever you feel like you've made significant progress. Once you get to know the game better and the danger spots you'll get a better feel for when you need to save

Ooccoo

This game is without a doubt one of my all time favorites... a true classic can't believe how well done this game was done back in 2002. Its better than majority of games today. Its a MASTER PIECE in videogame history. Thank You Capcom for releasing this game this gen too bad its not available on disk for the masses

Disc version will be available in Japan

-
The 1st zombie encounter, where Barry kills it for you.

Being the pedant that I am I'm forced to point out that this doesn't really matter. You hear him stand up again when you two walk back to the main hall and afterwards he's walking the corridor again. Fresh and healthy as a zombie can be.

Some questions:

Bottom line, I wouldn't kill any zombies until you have the means to dispose of their bodies afterwards...though you've reached that point now anyway.

No, some will be replaced, but generally, you meet way less hunters in the mansion than in the PS1 game, and as a result, most zombies you've shot and didn't burn are still there.

No, in my opinion it doesn't, the beginning section is the hardest part in most classic RE games, as you get further along you actually find more and more ammo for more powerful weapons.

Uh...that's the only time you're able to save anyway. That being said, there are way more ink ribbons than a lot of people fear, the limited save mechanic is supposed to keep players on edge but it's more smoke and mirrors and you'd have to try to run out. As a rule, if you play like half hour and feel like you didn't make any worthwhile progress, solved maybe one puzzle and picked up one key item, just don't save and on your next session make the same progress in 5 minutes.

Dai101

Banned
Some questions:

1- Indeed. You save ammo, time and really, who the fuck bactraks to burn corpses if in the end ...

2- You'll find out. Hence why is useless to kill then burn zombies

3- You'll find out ;-)

4- Yup. Save often but don't abuse of ink-ribbons saving just because.

Depends what control scheme you are using, it should show you when you go to your control settings.

For me (using B) it's hold aim and press square to reload.

Depends on the button layout.

I'm using Type B, and it's square while aiming.

Remember that you have to be aiming to perform a reload.

thanks, guys. She's using the updated controls. I'll just tell her to look at the control settings

Jin

I switched to 4:3 last night and couldn't believe how much better the game looks. It makes the mansion look bigger. Not only can you see more, it fixes the awful field of view 16:9 had. I also found the zoomed in 16:9 make the image quality look worse. I don't think the static background is meant to be played that up close.

burgerdog

^
I started playing with WS and thought the game looked fine. That is, until I switched to 4:3 and realized how much better it looked. Believe the 4:3 hype.

Made it to Lisa's cabin last night, am I about 50% done? I haven't played this since it released on gc so my memory is hazy.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Is this game's normal mode actually REmake's easy mode? I'm asking because I'm at the very beginning and I distinctly remember there being 2 zombies in the back where you place the arrowhead to get the key. They were to the left of the staircase, near the tree. I just grabbed the key but there are no zombies. Just wondering if I should restart now on a higher difficulty while it's still early. Sorry if this is asked and answered but this is a long thread.
If you picked the middle difficulty, then you actually went with easy. The top one is normal, and the bottom one is very easy.

I switched to 4:3 last night and couldn't believe how much better the game looks. It makes the mansion look bigger. Not only can you see more, it fixes the awful field of view 16:9 had. I also found the zoomed in 16:9 make the image quality look worse. I don't think the static background is meant to be played that up close.

I mean it does for sure, by definition it's playing at a lower (zoomed) resolution. I don't know - it just looks so awesome sometimes filling my 60 inch TV, but i hear what you're saying.

I'm gonna do my Chris runthrough 16:9 and Jill 4:3. Best of both worlds!

If you picked the middle difficulty, then you actually went with easy. The top one is normal, and the bottom one is very easy.

But crucially, I don't think the "normal" difficulty will feel particularly normal to most modern players who haven't played this before. The game is pretty unforgiving on first playthrough, particularly if you've never played an old school RE.

Thanks, I did choose the middle and that explains it. I thought it was Easy, Normal, Hard instead of Very Easy, Easy, Normal. I'll go ahead and start over since I'm still at the beginning.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I really don't get this, what's so dated about them.

Original POV-agnostic controls:
-UP move forward
-DOWN move backward
-RIGHT/LEFT turn
-DOWN + RUN: 180 turn

This is so simple it boggles my mind people have issues with it.

Alternate: 360 degrees POV-dependent controls
a.k.a clusterfuck

It is that simple, but the issue that sadly most people can't get past is that they view Up as "Up" rather than "Forward" so when they want to move "Up" on the screen they press up, only to find they move left because the character is facing left.

I mean, yes I'm completely adopted and I'm not using the new controls because I prefer the tank controls but that's the big problem people have. It's just a question of wrapping your head around the Control stick being centered around the Character direction rather than the screen direction. :/

Doomsayer

Still one of my favorite games ever.

I still remember playing this when I was ~13 at my friends house really late at night.

I had just had a first encounter with a hunter (I think) and was dangerously low on and ammo in the "Danger" area of health. I had no shotgun shells and exactly ONE bullet left in my pistol. As I was making my way through the corridors I remembered that I didn't burn one zombie in the room. So I knew my inevitable death was soon to come. I stagger through the hallway until the camera angle changes and you can see the bottom portion of the stairs. I hear the growl of the crimson head and he begins to charge toward me.

I was on the opposite side of the hall and as soon as he turned the corner I shot. To my disbelief. Headshot. One shot, one kill. It was probably 2-3 in the morning and my friend and I went apeshit. Never seen that happen before, and to this day, have never done it again.

Needlecrash

Some questions:

1. People have different ways of dealing with them. Some players may run away from them, some may shoot them enough to be staggered only to have enough time to get by them. For me, if the zombie isn't in my way, I'll leave them be. Need to conserve ammo anyway. If they are in the way, then I shoot them until they fall on the ground, equip the knife and poke them until they get up, shoot them till they're "dead" and burn their bodies to NOT deal with Crimson Heads.

2. I believe so, yes.

3. It will get harder but it's more of a gradual process IMO.

4. I'd save once you've done quite a bit in the playthrough.

Kssio_Aug

At the start of my play through I was killing everything in the mansion, but then I had about 10 crimson heads running around at one point.

By The end of the game, I had select safe paths that I had cleared out entirely, then just dodged my way through the other corridors. That seemed to work out better for me.

It is good to discover all these things on your own.

1. You are correct. Kill and burn the ones in areas that you will backtrack through often, try to leave the rest as long as possible. If you need to get past them and can't evade, try just downing them with a few shots rather than killing them outright. Saves ammo and prevents them from turning crimson
2. I have no clue tbh it's been a while since I played.
3. The game does get harder later on to an extent, but you also get some more powerful weapons which help. Honestly I'm halfway through and the beginning seemed more challenging, but I don't remember the final portions very well so I can't say
4. You should save whenever you feel like you've made significant progress. Once you get to know the game better and the danger spots you'll get a better feel for when you need to save

Being the pedant that I am I'm forced to point out that this doesn't really matter. You hear him stand up again when you two walk back to the main hall and afterwards he's walking the corridor again. Fresh and healthy as a zombie can be.

Bottom line, I wouldn't kill any zombies until you have the means to dispose of their bodies afterwards...though you've reached that point now anyway.

No, some will be replaced, but generally, you meet way less hunters in the mansion than in the PS1 game, and as a result, most zombies you've shot and didn't burn are still there.

No, in my opinion it doesn't, the beginning section is the hardest part in most classic RE games, as you get further along you actually find more and more ammo for more powerful weapons.

Uh...that's the only time you're able to save anyway. That being said, there are way more ink ribbons than a lot of people fear, the limited save mechanic is supposed to keep players on edge but it's more smoke and mirrors and you'd have to try to run out. As a rule, if you play like half hour and feel like you didn't make any worthwhile progress, solved maybe one puzzle and picked up one key item, just don't save and on your next session make the same progress in 5 minutes.

1- Indeed. You save ammo, time and really, who the fuck bactraks to burn corpses if in the end ...

2- You'll find out. Hence why is useless to kill then burn zombies

3- You'll find out ;-)

4- Yup. Save often but don't abuse of ink-ribbons saving just because.

1. People have different ways of dealing with them. Some players may run away from them, some may shoot them enough to be staggered only to have enough time to get by them. For me, if the zombie isn't in my way, I'll leave them be. Need to conserve ammo anyway. If they are in the way, then I shoot them until they fall on the ground, equip the knife and poke them until they get up, shoot them till they're "dead" and burn their bodies to NOT deal with Crimson Heads.

2. I believe so, yes.

3. It will get harder but it's more of a gradual process IMO.

4. I'd save once you've done quite a bit in the playthrough.

Allright!! Thanks everyone for all the replies!
The reason I ask so much things that I may discover later, is because I'm always anxious when playing survival horror games and because I got stuck at a quite complicated situation when playing as Chris and my lack of experience. I could not control myself. lol

drotahorror

Nothin like a good ol' Jill sammich

1PPu9D3.jpg

wtf

Koralsky

Amazing experience - playing mostly on PS4, but also using remote play with Vita (looks absolutely amazing on 'dat' OLED).

Hope this game sells well enough and we get Zero, and after that modern remake of RE2 with prerendered backgrounds and tank control.

Oldschool RE can look close to photo-realistic on PS4/One/PC if they developed one now - with half of the RE6 budget.

Danielsan

Thinking of picking this up, despite promising myself to first finish some games and no buying any more games this month. What's the cheapest please to get a steam code these days? Kind of bummed that I missed out on the Green Man promotion right now.

KiteGr

I wan't to buy this badly for my collection, but DLCs have no collection value.

Anyone knows how much of the Asian Retail PS4 version is actually in English?
If only the box is in Japanese, then there is no problem. I'll just print my own.

Grief.exe

Amazing experience - playing mostly on PS4, but also using remote play with Vita (looks absolutely amazing on 'dat' OLED).

Hope this game sells well enough and we get Zero, and after that modern remake of RE2 with prerendered backgrounds and tank control.

Oldschool RE can look close to photo-realistic on PS4/One/PC if they developed one now - with half of the RE6 budget.

Capcom seems to have the tools in place to create 3D environments rendered in real-time as opposed to pre-rendered.

They did create a few for REmake's HD release, so I'd imagine this would smoothly transition to a potential REmake 2 as well. Really would be better for posterity, as the game could be natively rendered on whatever arbitrary resolution is required.

Dahbomb

My friend just beat the game clocking at 10-11 hours on Normal (the highest difficulty available) with some assistance from me.

He handled the latter sections almost all by himself once he got into the flow of things but the early game was really tough. Later on he also had enough ammo to wipe various areas in the game and that was possible because earlier on he tried to avoid as many zombies as he can. He actually beat the bosses without dying once which was much better than I did the first time.

Now it's time for me to take over on Real Survival mode. After that I will move on to other games, I am not really interested in doing those 2 hour, knife only speed runs right now as I have a bunch of backlog to take care of (well it's really only 2-3 games but it's still something I need to tackle).

Conezays

So I'm about an hour in playing as Jill. I haven't played this game since PS1, yikes.

So...when do I find an item box? :p My inventory's already full and I keep running into plot-related items I will need (or at least think I need).

So I'm about an hour in playing as Jill. I haven't played this game since PS1, yikes.

So...when do I find an item box? :p My inventory's already full and I keep running into plot-related items I will need (or at least think I need).

You can find it pretty early if you know where to go. First thing you should do is get
the sword key

Edzi

I just found my first one on the right side of the mansion, near the room where you find the shotgun. Not sure if I missed anything before that.

Conezays

Thanks. I have the
sword key
, just trying to unload some things before getting more gear. Already used a double green health item...damn
dogs
That gave me an extra space until Barry gave me
acid shells
giving me no more spaces.

Damn Barry.

Thanks. I have the
sword key
, just trying to unload some things before getting more gear. Already used a double green health item...damn
dogs
That gave me an extra space until Barry gave me
acid shells
giving me no more spaces.

Damn Barry.

Yeah if you have the sword key you can easily access the first item box. I won't post it here but it should be easy to look up a map of 1F

zma1013

Capcom seems to have the tools in place to create 3D environments rendered in real-time as opposed to pre-rendered.

They did create a few for REmake's HD release, so I'd imagine this would smoothly transition to a potential REmake 2 as well. Really would be better for posterity, as the game could be natively rendered on whatever arbitrary resolution is required.

Yeah but the whole point of pre-rendered is that you can make the game look substantially better than any 3D game can. Certainly not saying they couldn't make a great looking 3D game, obviously they can, but they can make an even better looking one using pre-rendered backdrops. They main thing is, if they want to future proof it, they gotta keep the assets and ability to re-render them or create multiple resolutions for future use. For instance, if they made pre-render backgrounds today, they'd make 1080p the normal resolution, but then they should also make 4K renders as well for when 4k becomes the norm. Just looking at that crazy PR render for the main hall, if they have they could have predicted the popularity of remasters and the HD generation, maybe they could have rendered the entire game in 1080p for now.

Top Bottom