• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Quikies83

One quick question for people who know this game fairly well

There's a painting in the art room, where you get the first map, and there's something behind it. I tried burning it but nothing doing. How do I get behind that painting?
That's the costume room. You have to beat the game in order to access it

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Gooch, if you're playing as Chris, you're doing well. If playing as Jill, then Barry could have saved you. TBH, when I played the original, I didn't let Barry save me and just swapped out shotguns myself.

I'm playing as Jill, been basically running in circles. I got the fuel can too.

Unai

Anyone able to run the game at 120 FPS if they turned on variable framerate and switched the framerate to 120 in the ini?

I'm kind of late, but the option to force max refresh rate in the NVidia Control Panel works very well.

nvidiarcb6j.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Good grief. I can see why I never got anywhere in this game as a kid. lol So uh, where is
the whistle
?
2nd floor East side study next to the chessboard, you'll have to enter via the hall way coming from the main hall as the other door hasn't got a handle on the outside,the door is right at the end and is hard to see

Mr_Zombie

The problem with 16:9 is that it has to effectively zoom in on the image in order to make it 'wide-screen.'

In the developer's diary it was said that actually they redid backgrounds for the 16:9 mode and it's in 4:3 mode that those backgrounds are zoomed out, not the other way. Of course, zooming out automatically increases their quality.[/quote]

So, put it ton 4:3. You stop giving a fuck about the blacks bars on the side after about 10 minutes. Trust me....I SAID TRUST ME!!
But what if I also have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (monitor with 16:10 resolution?). :(

The archaic inventory system in this game is really testing my patience. I hated the extremely limited space when the game was new, and I hate it even more now.
I dunno, man. That's kind of the whole point. It's like complaining about not being able to switch directions in mid-jump in an 8-bit Castlevania game or something...

Man, I was going nuts trying to escape from the
control room on the sharks section

Gaius-Baltar.jpg

After doing it I realized how simple it was.
Love this game :)

Erebus

Looks like I didn't manage to save
Richard. I was too late bringing him the serum. What should I have done in order to save him?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just to let you guys know.

I played the entire game 16:9. Now I'm playing as Chris via 4:3.

4:3 is so much better.

The problem with 16:9 is that it has to effectively zoom in on the image in order to make it 'wide-screen.'

So you have an upscaled 480p image that's being zoomed and maybe even overscanned if you're tv isn't calibrated properly which equates to vomit and shit on the screen. It's a testament the game can still manage to look good in most areas despite this.

However, putting it at 4:3 effectively gets ride of the forced overscanning (which is what fake 16:9 effectively is)

So, put it ton 4:3. You stop giving a fuck about the blacks bars on the side after about 10 minutes. Trust me....I SAID TRUST ME!!

I picked alternate controls and widescreen when I started the game because I figured fuck the haters, I want to play the game the way I want. However the whole time I was playing I couldn't stop staring at the blurry backgrounds and wondering why everyone kept praising the graphics. I thought everyone was going blind except me.

Then I switched to 4:3 and had a hallelujah moment. The backgrounds look so much crisper that this should be a no-brainer. Zooming in on pre-rendered backgrounds basically blows up the pixels and makes them look blurrier.

komorebi

Started a new game last night in 4:3 and its definitely the way to go. I also switched to Alternate (/New) controls since I got my Tank Control Badge back in the 90s and have nothing to prove, and all I can say is holy shit. I can juke the living hell out of these zombies. I played for about 45 minutes mostly gathering items into the item box and I only killed two dogs, no zombies. Every room is an adventure... over and over again.

On a side note I like how Alternate puts the new controls on the analog stick and the tank controls on the D-Pad which imo was the only way I could play with them since the PS4's analog sensitivity (or whatever) is a bit finicky for this game. I think others have pointed out how the Gamecube had an 8-way directional cup for the stick and it worked much better for the tank controls.

One quick question for people who know this game fairly well

There's a painting in the art room, where you get the first map, and there's something behind it. I tried burning it but nothing doing. How do I get behind that painting?

2nd playthrough. You'll get a key after completing the game. This is the room where you change into alternate outfits and stuff.

In the developer's diary it was said that actually they redid backgrounds for the 16:9 mode and it's in 4:3 mode that those backgrounds are zoomed out, not the other way. Of course, zooming out automatically increases their quality.

But what if I also have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (monitor with 16:10 resolution?). :([/QUOTE]

You could make slight adjustments with the ps4's display area settings. But I don't know if you want to fuck with the image scaling like that.

Just tell yourself it doesn't exist, and it won't. Image information being displayed is just that, information. You don't get annoyed by the lack of game images from outside of your tv's display area? Just assume you have a slightly smaller tv...

je_ssi e

But what if I also have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (monitor with 16:10 resolution?). :(
I feel ya.
I'm on 16:10, too. I could deal with black bars on the side, or just the top/bottom, but playing in a square is just.. bleh.

My gamecube copy is in arms reach, so it's not like I'll be sullying my first time through, but meh. Wish it just.. worked.

Arren

I'm currently getting quite a weird bug on my copy of the PC version.

Basically, whenever I boot the game from Steam, proceed to load my save and enter certain specific rooms, the speed of the game turns into slow motion and stays like that as long as I remain within the first camera angle of that room.

The two rooms where I was able to reproduce this almost constantly are the corridor after the dining room, where you meet the first zombie, and the room where you get the 1F Map.

What makes it even weirder is that if I move towards a camera change or alt-tab out and back into the game, it immediately goes back to smooth and constant 60fps.

I really don't get what's causing this at the moment. Any possible clues?

Danielsan

Welp, bought the game. Made some decent progress, then boom, the game crashes. Memory error ERROR08. What the hell. Apparently it's a wide spread issue. Wish I had know about the bullshit before. Bunch of time lost.

Dai101

Banned
I'm going to quote myself from a few pages back:

DAMN!! i tested this game in my rig and is hilariously slow... It looks AMAZING but it runs in slow-mo. This are the specs:

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 4760 1GB

I'm sure is the graphics card, what do you think?

So, what's the cheapest card you can run this? (and by run, i mean playable)

I just got to the
Neptune Tank
. Ah god, it's hideous!

Really though a very low point in an otherwise well done remaster. I guess there wasn't much they could do there?

Skullface

How's everyone enjoying the game so far? I'm about a half hour from playing it for the first time since it first came out for Gamecube. I'm pretty excited. Any tips? I don't remember anything about this game really. I'm going to be playing as Chris for my first play through.

MormaPope

Banned
For everyone saying how difficult the game is, your first playthrough is going to be rough on normal difficulty. Running back to item boxes constantly to get puzzle items, carrying the wrong puzzle items for the wrong puzzles. Using up too much ammo, too many healing items. Getting hit constantly.

Playthoughs afterwards will be so much smoother. Memorization and skill go a long way for classic RE games. Classic Resident Evil games are made to be replayed.

Skullface

Who are you playing as/ what mode?

Cuz I'm finding it really easy with Jill on Normal despite having not played this game in like 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that Jill was easy mode because you start with a gun and lock pick.

Is there a music fix mod yet? Looks like the files are just oggs with a different extension, so it should be a fairly simple task for anyone willing to put in the effort to make them loop properly... right?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that Jill was easy mode because you start with a gun and lock pick.

Jill is totally easy mode, but like... I have so many supplies it's ridic. You should play on Hard if you're playing as Jill imo, unless you're a RE virgin

Doing well to avoid the "First Death" achievement, back from outside with the helmet key. Ain't played this in years (and only once for that matter, played the original far too much though), it's great going through it again but having forgot mostly everything, nice freshness to it. Damn hunter almost made me cack my pants though, il need to make a gif of it.

Skullface

Halp! Is it possible to get past the first zombie as Chris on normal without leaving with danger as your health level? Slice and run? Wow, the full analogue control as opposed to tank feels awesome.

Top Bottom