• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Kssio_Aug

Whats that? That you can save with Chris and then continue in the same savefile with Jill? LOL no.

I think he meant between platforms. Like, playing on PS4 and continue on PC.

I think it doesnt, even though there's that site where you can see some stats.

Mr. Tibbs

Finished my Jill playthrough last night. Without a guide, it took me nearly 8 hours, 27 saves & 3 deaths. Some parts were bloody scary! First time I've completed Remake. Is it worth playing through again with Chris? If so, should I start a new game, or load up that clear game option?

Just listened to Watch Out For Fireballs excellent Resident Evil Remake discussion. Highly recommended.

Erebus

I just realized that you can practically use both control schemes without having to change any option.

When you play with the analog stick you're basically playing with the new control scheme but if you use the d-pad, the character moves with the classic style instead (a.k.a tank controls).

Erudite

Finished my Jill playthrough last night. Without a guide, it took me nearly 8 hours, 27 saves & 3 deaths. Some parts were bloody scary! First time I've completed Remake. Is it worth playing through again with Chris? If so, should I start a new game, or load up that clear game option?

Just listened to Watch Out For Fireballs excellent Resident Evil Remake discussion. Highly recommended.
Glad to see WoFF getting brought up here, these guys deserve more attention for the work they do. Really enjoyed what I've heard of the episode so far, but I've got it on the back burner until I finish the game.

I never completed the game as Chris in the previous versions and I don't know if this is why (I also never liked the look of him) but the 6 inventory slots is damn harsh. I do like the restrictive inventories, because deciding what to take with you and knowing you have very limited supplies on you is a big part of the gameplay, but 6 slots! I mean dang - I've been running around with the sword and armor keys, a gun and some bullets, and a small key slot, and then I have one left to pick up any puzzle items to deposit in the box but it really is a bit of a hassle!

Jill's 8 slots is just right for all that, cos then you've got those extra 2 slots to pick up puzzle items so you can enter a room, pick up the few items you need to do it, and do it right there. With Chris you find the puzzle room, then have to double back to deposit items so you have enough space to pick stuff up, and then run back. That's a little much!

However, I managed to discard the armour key now. Still got the sword, can't remember what doors the keys open but I figure I can't have many more doors to open with this, and then hopefully it should ease up a bit.

Beginning to have fun now, though.

Mr. Tibbs

Glad to see WoFF getting brought up here, these guys deserve more attention for the work they do.
They really do. The hosts have fantastic chemistry, and they put tons of effort into every show. Unpopular opinion:
It's a better podcast than Retronauts in every respect.

HeelPower

Yeah but the whole point of pre-rendered is that you can make the game look substantially better than any 3D game can.

Yeah pre-rendered backgrounds can still be so effective.

REmake is proof of that.

On this generation,I imagine some mindblowing backgrounds can be made.

SDCowboy

The archaic inventory system in this game is really testing my patience. I hated the extremely limited space when the game was new, and I hate it even more now.

Chris has enough changes to his route that it's worth trying him out, you suddenly realise how handy that lockpick was with jill.

Aaron D.

If you picked the middle difficulty, then you actually went with easy. The top one is normal, and the bottom one is very easy.

Wait, is this confirmed?

Man, I need to just start over.

New orders: Hardest (Normal) difficulty, tank controls, 4:3

Odd question: Anyone try the game with keyboard/mouse controls? I've got a wired 360 pad, but I rarely ever pull it out. If the game plays just as well with k/m, I'd be inclined to go that route for convenience.

Jinjo

Wasn't really feeling the new controls (when switching screens they are really annoying) but the old controls weren't really clicking either anymore. Then I tried type E - Classic. God, so good. Was it like this way too in the GCversion that you had to push a button to walk/run? Can't remember anymore. EIther way, switched to 4:3 too and for some reason the game looks way better to me.

Psyched to dive back in this again.

Do I go Chris or Jill though? I love playing as Jill, but I almost always played her in the GC version so Chris might be more fun to do now.

HeelPower

I never completed the game as Chris in the previous versions and I don't know if this is why (I also never liked the look of him) but the 6 inventory slots is damn harsh. I do like the restrictive inventories, because deciding what to take with you and knowing you have very limited supplies on you is a big part of the gameplay, but 6 slots! I mean dang - I've been running around with the sword and armor keys, a gun and some bullets, and a small key slot, and then I have one left to pick up any puzzle items to deposit in the box but it really is a bit of a hassle!

I am really dreading Chris and his 6 slots.

I imagine this is a nightmare on higher difficulties.Its not only frustrating on its own,but also the more you have to run around to save rooms to manage items, the more zombies/fights you have to go through.

You pretty much have to know the game inside out and the mansion is pretty confusing.

Jinjo

I am really dreading Chris and his 6 slots.

I imagine this is a nightmare on higher difficulties.Its not only frustrating on its own,but also the more you have to run around to save rooms to manage items, the more zombies/fights you have to go through.

You pretty much have to know the game inside out and the mansion is pretty confusing.

Does this game have the Real survivor mode too where the chests aren't linked anymore? That shit was brutal on Jill even. Can't imagine on Chris.

dark_chris

When I started playing this game, I noticed there's now there are three difficulties instead of two from the GC version. How different is the easy mode there?

Timu

Forgive me if this has been answered, but has there been a consensus on 4:3 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio?

I'm playing 16:9 and noticed inconsistencies in image quality. Sometimes the whole screen looks crisp & clear, texture-wise. Other times it looks a blotchy mess.

Would switching to 4:3 alleviate some of this? I'm not expecting miracles, just wondering which one is best.
4:3, don't even bother with 16:9.

Cob32

Almost got my first ps4 platinum from this game. Just have nooks/crannies and no saves trophy left.

I have
the infinite rocket launcher
to play with so it should be a fun play through.

SDCowboy

Have you found the
dog whistle yet?
You need to use that in the location the note specifies
(outside balcony on the 2nd floor west side) and kill the dog which drops the collar which contains the imitation key....
lol

Good grief. I can see why I never got anywhere in this game as a kid. lol So uh, where is
the whistle
?

Good grief. I can see why I never got anywhere in this game as a kid. lol So uh, where is t
he whistle
?

It's on the east side of the 2nd floor of the mansion. If you want to know the specific location you can probably just google it, I don't recall the exact room. But I would just go through that part and open any doors you haven't tried and you should find it eventually

SDCowboy

It's on the east side of the 2nd floor of the mansion. If you want to know the specific location you can probably just google it, I don't recall the exact room. But I would just go through that part and open any doors you haven't tried and you should find it eventually

Cool. Thanks man.

Just to let you guys know.

I played the entire game 16:9. Now I'm playing as Chris via 4:3.

4:3 is so much better.

The problem with 16:9 is that it has to effectively zoom in on the image in order to make it 'wide-screen.'

So you have an upscaled 480p image that's being zoomed and maybe even overscanned if you're tv isn't calibrated properly which equates to vomit and shit on the screen. It's a testament the game can still manage to look good in most areas despite this.

However, putting it at 4:3 effectively gets ride of the forced overscanning (which is what fake 16:9 effectively is)

So, put it ton 4:3. You stop giving a fuck about the blacks bars on the side after about 10 minutes. Trust me....I SAID TRUST ME!!

I watched a bit of your stream man that shit is insane haha how far did you make it?

I got to the point where I had to find the serum for that one guy bit by that one animal. Being fague for spoiler reasons.

But, it was just too sloppy. Used too much ammo. Too many failed dodge attempts, I gotta restart and plan accordingly.

It's funny though, how hard mode can be considered the way to play the game. Because the tension factor is through the roof. Every shotgun shell matters. Every zombie evade matters. Every herb matters. Every time you have a chance to throw in some knife slashes to save ammo matters.

The other problem is that I never played Chris' campaign...on any version of RE1. Just Jill. Others have suggested that maybe I do Chris on normal mode with Real Survivor mode. Making it somewhat harder.

So either that or I'm probably going to restart Chris on Hard mode tonight. I maybe only got two hours in so it wasn't too bad.

Posted for new page:

Just to let you guys know.

I played the entire game 16:9. Now I'm playing as Chris via 4:3.

4:3 is so much better.

The problem with 16:9 is that it has to effectively zoom in on the image in order to make it 'wide-screen.'

So you have an upscaled 480p image that's being zoomed and maybe even overscanned if you're tv isn't calibrated properly which equates to vomit and shit on the screen. It's a testament the game can still manage to look good in most areas despite this.

However, putting it at 4:3 effectively gets ride of the forced overscanning (which is what fake 16:9 effectively is)

So, put it ton 4:3. You stop giving a fuck about the blacks bars on the side after about 10 minutes.

Needlecrash

Nope. You weren't supposed to pick it up. Let Barry save you.

Gooch, if you're playing as Chris, you're doing well. If playing as Jill, then Barry could have saved you. TBH, when I played the original, I didn't let Barry save me and just swapped out shotguns myself.

NeoGiff

I finally started this tonight but stopped after doing:

Map1F -> Golden Arrow -> Book of Curse -> Sword Key -> Save Room 1

Just not feeling it tonight for some reason. I'm pretty impressed so far though (using tank controls and control scheme B), but there's one thing that horrified me... THE "BOOK OF CURSE" HAS BEEN RENAMED TO "BOOK OF CURSES"? What is this blasphemy?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
One quick question for people who know this game fairly well

There's a painting in the art room, where you get the first map, and there's something behind it. I tried burning it but nothing doing. How do I get behind that painting?

Xpliskin

There's a painting in the art room, where you get the first map, and there's something behind it. I tried burning it but nothing doing. How do I get behind that painting?

That's the costume change room, you get the key only after having beat the game once/twice (on new game +)

EDIT:
I got the shot gun from the wall and replaced it with the broken one. Am I doing good?

Resident evil rule: as long as you don't die and get new items/unlock new areas, you're doing good.

NeoGiff

It's a
secret costume room that only unlocks after beating the game. You have to get the key in your new game from an item box, and use it to open the secret door.

Top Bottom