• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

trinest

So thats why my pacman money box took longer then expected their shipping stuff from places outside the usual UK locations.

Okay, I tried the CPP during the first chapter and as I was expecting RE and this doesn't work for me. Type A is the way to go here. It's a bit like the Wii controls in RE4. They are arguably more precise, but take away a lot of the tension imo.
But I'm totally looking forward to see what other devs are going to do with the CPP.

I've got a bundle copy and a normal copy, and the print looks exactly the same.

Poor quality or good?... mine looks like its printed on a cheap printer (the eye logo, spine logo and picture on the back look really cheaply done .. but of course everything else looks sharp.. including that USK logo...

To me the logos and pic on the back almost have a grain on them

wrowa

Okay, I tried the CPP during the first chapter and as I was expecting RE and this doesn't work for me. Type A is the way to go here. It's a bit like the Wii controls in RE4. They are arguably more precise, but take away a lot of the tension imo.
But I'm totally looking forward to see what other devs are going to do with the CPP.

I might agree. The CPP controls work like a charm, but they work so good that it actually feels like I'm cheating. I don't think that's way it was supposed to be...

Have you tried CPP and Gyro Aiming? It's the way to go for me.

I didn't know that's possible, will try that later. But my first playthrough will be Type A for sure. Gyro aiming was fun in the demo, but not that compatible with playing under a blanket in bed at night. And I don't like the freedom the CPP gives you when it comes to character controls in this game. It just adds nothing imo and takes away quite a bit of atmosphere.

Toge

Please god no. Ribbons were the one thing I hated about the old games.

I was always paranoid about running out of saves, even though I inevitably end up with like 38 of them in the box by the end.

You know what annoyed me about this game a little bit? Running around getting all the custom parts for 20 minutes, not realising I've run out of ammo and then getting mauled by 5 monsters and having to restart again. :mad:

The ribbon save system should be in more games really. Babbys won't like it though.

ditto

save systems really are better for horror games. Respawning two feet away from where you die pretty much eliminates all tension.

Exactly, although this game's autosaves aren't that frequent

In regards to autosaving please remember that this is a handheld game. Ribbons and typewriters wouldn't cut it imo. I like the system, auto save points are not too numerous but enable you to play in smaller chunks.

Oh and the reviewers complaining about the episodic nature are nuts.

In regards to autosaving please remember that this is a handheld game. Ribbons and typewriters wouldn't cut it imo. I like the system, auto save points are not too numerous but enable you to play in smaller chunks.

Oh and the reviewers complaining about the episodic nature are nuts.

Agreed. I felt that some episodes, could've been longer and more fleshed out, but overall it's quite a neat feature.
I can understand some criticisms against the game, but for the most part I suspect that reviews are deducting points based on the plattform the game released more than anything else.

You know what annoyed me about this game a little bit? Running around getting all the custom parts for 20 minutes, not realising I've run out of ammo and then getting mauled by 5 monsters and having to restart again. :mad:

ditto

Exactly, although this game's autosaves aren't that frequent

Lol, when you get the
veltor card and you want to visit all the ship
, that has to be the most difficult and adrenaline section in the whole game.
When I was killed the first time and saw where the autosave left me I was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SmokyDave

I don't want to go on about it too much because negativity in OT's is bad juju, but, my god, I hated the demo for this. If I've played a game with worse controls in living memory, it's slipped my mind. Maybe it's better with the CCP but after spending a couple of hours with the demo, there is no way I'm buying this.

It's a shame because my 3DS is starved for games at the mo but I just couldn't force myself to enjoy the game for even a moment. Every enemy encounter made me hate the game a little more. I'm just not a good fit for the RE control scheme :(

I don't want to go on about it too much because negativity in OT's is bad juju, but, my god, I hated the demo for this. If I've played a game with worse controls in living memory, it's slipped my mind. Maybe it's better with the CCP but after spending a couple of hours with the demo, there is no way I'm buying this.

It's a shame because my 3DS is starved for games at the mo but I just couldn't force myself to enjoy the game for even a moment. Every enemy encounter made me hate the game a little more. I'm just not a good fit for the RE control scheme :(

Then CPP might be for you. With it the game controls like every other (good) tps.

SmokyDave

Then CPP might be for you. With it the game controls like every other (good) tps.

Does it though? It seemed like some of the issues felt reminiscent of prior Resi games. doing simple stuff like 'running forward then turning', I seemed to keep 'stopping' inbetween the 'running forward' bit and the 'turning' bit. Trying to turn quickly on the spot was a no-no too. Can't move and shoot, which I fucking hate, but I accept is a staple of the series. All in all, it just feels far too '32-Bit videogame'. My biggest enemy in a game should not be the control system. I'll try it (the demo) with the CCP when I get one but if all it adds is camera control, that's not going to be enough.

Ah well, I can imagine that those who enjoy the Resi series are having a blast with this one. It looked and sounded lovely, for what that's worth.

Celine

Ah well, I can imagine that those who enjoy the Resi series are having a blast with this one. It looked and sounded lovely, for what that's worth.
I believe you can move and shoot with the cpp.
Also there should be a button combination to turn 180°

I wouldn't want the CPP for this. Tank controls are fucking awesome. Come at me.
But yeah everything but control type A feel wrong in a RE game.

Hmm, you know that there is a quick 180 turn by pressing B + slide pad down (works with/without CPP), don't you?
But honestly, it sounds like RE just isn't for you. Give it a try with the CPP as soon as you get the chance to be sure.

bitoriginal

Does it though? It seemed like some of the issues felt reminiscent of prior Resi games. doing simple stuff like 'running forward then turning', I seemed to keep 'stopping' inbetween the 'running forward' bit and the 'turning' bit. Trying to turn quickly on the spot was a no-no too. Can't move and shoot, which I fucking hate, but I accept is a staple of the series. All in all, it just feels far too '32-Bit videogame'. My biggest enemy in a game should not be the control system. I'll try it (the demo) with the CCP when I get one but if all it adds is camera control, that's not going to be enough.

If its any help, it's a million times better with the cpp. It was a struggle to use a first but as soon as you get used to it, the game controls like most third person shooters out there. Just a shame they are charging a ridiculous amount of money for the peripheral. I definitely wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get the zavvi bundle for £30.

While it's true that the game is true to the 32 bit control origins to some extend, it's not nearly as bad as described. 180 turns are instant when you press Back and b even while running, but I have to agree that turning and general mobility isn't as nimble as other 3rd person games out there.

Which kind of makes sense given the game and it's scope, but is a legitimate reason to dislike the game.

I'm rather biased towards the controls myself, as even with RE5 I went with a single analog stick solution. RE4 is just too integrated in my mind so of course I can jump into games that control similarly just fine.

The CPP actually made the game play like a standard 3rd person shooter, just a bit slower in turning and acceleration. Similar to GRAW.

Am I the only one using the Gyro controls permanently? I love it! Also, very light mid-game spoiler:

"Maaydaayy...this is the Queen Zenobia, emerGENcY CaLL nuMbeR...mAAaayDAAyy, MaaaydaAAyy..." :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Perhaps you missed that, but you can both move and shoot in Revelations, even with the single-analog schemes. And you've been able to quickly u-turn on the spot since RE4.

Generally-speaking, though, I don't share your overall line of complains re RE. I'm currently playing RE5 (in anticipation of RE:R) and Mass Effect 2 back-to-back on the PS3, and the fight mechanics in ME2 feel way more gamey to me than RE5's, even with their 'stand still to shoot' (which, apropos, more often than not, is how you use firearms in real life).

miksar

Was I the only one who was bothered that it was not Chris but Jill who carried Parker in Episode 10? It was kind of sad considering what happened to him a moment later. Chris could've at least helped, his (and any other partner's) bullets seem to be made out of rubber anyway.

There are keys which open more parts of the ship, even playing the demo or any other resident evil you know this.
Was not really a spoiler, but ive edited.

Thanks for the edit. Your statement was, that shortly after receiving item X, "the most difficult and adrenaline section in the whole game followed." I will remember this statement as soon as I get this Item and it will probably kill some tension, don't you agree?

Thanks for the edit. Your statement was, that shortly after receiving item X, "the most difficult and adrenaline section in the whole game followed." I will remember this statement as soon as I get this Item and it will probably kill some tension, don't you agree?

Oh but dont worry, its totally optional and you will not know when it comes. Its not that is a surpise or something, is only that you will maybe try to get some more items and be killed by any normal monster having to restart the whole thing again if you want.

Sinthetic

Raid Mode is so god damn awesome. So much to unlock and upgrade, so many costumes, perks, achievements. They could have brought just that alone out and it would be worth what I paid for the full package.

Toge

Lol, when you get the
veltor card and you want to visit all the ship
, that has to be the most difficult and adrenaline section in the whole game.
When I was killed the first time and saw where the autosave left me I was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is what I mean!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUU GAME GIMME MY RIBBONS!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Day after tomorrow or tomorrow for me probably. Cant wait!

Am I the only one using the Gyro controls permanently? I love it! Also, very light mid-game spoiler:
It works great. Will use it combined with no 3D for my hell run-through.

Oh and what about a FC list for this game for the OP or something? I will play through the game once before diving into Raid mode but I'd be down to play with some GAFers after that.

I wish I could use that CPP, but its not possible on my 3DS

kzbUu.jpg

So basically I have to choose between better controls and better battery life.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Controls don't seem better with CPP just different. And you can use CPP when @ home, doubt many people carry it with them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Sorry, RE3 was the first to introduce 180 turn IIRC :p
Yeah, I was not sure myself, so I quickly googled RE3 controls, and the first page found did not mention anything about instant 180. So my bad if it was actually introduced in RE3.

Wow colored me impressed, I thought I was at the ending, but it seems the game had
episodes.
AWESOME!

I love the gun I have made, is better than a fucking shotgun and has many bullets <3

depward

I need to stop reading this thread in prep for NA's launch. Little spoilers posted here and there that aren't necessarily story spoilers but are things I wish I would have not known.

I wish I could use that CPP, but its not possible on my 3DS

kzbUu.jpg

So basically I have to choose between better controls and better battery life.

Many games would benefit hugely from the CPP, but I don't feel that Revelations is one of them. Resident Evil has never called for running and shooting, and even that is still possible using the very viable gyro controls.

Shameless self advertisement incoming:

I've put up the first installment of my Review diary, detailing my thoughts on the Story mode and the presentation of the game.

Some excerpts as the whole piece is rather long:

Resident Evil Revelations features series veteran Jill Valentine (RE1,RE3,RE5) investigating an abandoned Cruise Ship along the newcomer Parker Luciano. After losing contact with Chris Redfield (RE1,RE:CV,RE5) and Jessica Sherawat, they are sent to investigate their colleagues last known position, which happens to be on an adrift cruise ship. They soon realize that the ship is infested with a new form of viral mutation, called the Ooze. These gelatinous pale monsters are the most common enemies that players will encounter in the game. There are other monsters of course, but most of them are based around aquatic wildlife. The Ooze aren't quite as iconic as the Zombies of the old Resident Evil games, but some of the more grotesque mutations manage to be quite nerve wracking and disturbing. One enemy in particular, is unexpectedly creepy and I would personally put the encounters with this mutation to be among the scariest parts of any Resident Evil to this date. This particular enemy manages to transcend the tiny screen of the 3DS and creates a creepy atmosphere that rivals that of encounters with Nemesis of Resident Evil 3 or Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2.

The story unfolds along various episodes, that are presented like a TV show. Complete with cliffhanger endings to each episode as well as a stylish recap before a new episode starts. For all those of you who are wondering, those recaps can be skipped on your second playthrough. The episodic nature of the game is used to great effect to tell the story of the game, while introducing new side characters and locations to further develop the surprisingly competent story. It is worth noting that the story and characters of Revelations are quite campy and full of B-Movie cliches, but that is pretty much one of the hallmarks of the series to begin with, so don't expect some thought provoking stuff from the story. Even with some of the episodes being rather short, the game itself manages to remain cohesive for it's entire duration. The main plot happens on Board of the abandoned cruise ship.
Gameplay and atmosphere are pretty much focused on claustrophobic encounters, jump-scares and ammo conservation, recreating the survival horror feeling of the old games with a surprising competence. The design of the cruise ship also seems very similar to a certain Mansion in the Arklay Woods, which should please old fans of the series. To break up the mold, most of the side scenarios have a higher focus on action, with plenty of ammo and some comic relief here and there.

That alone might scare of some people, but I felt that those episodes never overstayed their welcome, but instead provided a nice change of pace in between the horror segments, as well as fleshing out the support cast and further develop the conspiracy plot.
Overall the campaign never really reaches the amazing levels of polish that Resident Evil 4 displayed, but at the same time, it is a very competent Title that can stand on it's own legs without having to copy too much from other games in the series. I found the campaign to be vastly more enjoyable than Resident Evil 5 or 3 for example. The game also has quite a lot of content and a normal playthrough will range from 7 to 10 hours depending on difficulty and player skill.

I'm going to detail controls and Multiplayer mode in the next days. I was interested in making a diary style review for a game, and I would appreciate some input as to how this format could be used for great effect.

kanugo

Quick question. In chapter 6,
will there be any of those stupid monsters on water?

I just beat chapter 5 and I really hate those.

Top Bottom