• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons Unveiled Edition |OT| "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!"

GulAtiCa

How does one get the Jill Pirate costume? Will it be DLC or is it something you unlocked in-game? If so, how? Just beat the game?

How does one get the Jill Pirate costume? Will it be DLC or is it something you unlocked in-game? If so, how? Just beat the game?

That's what I'd like to know too. I find that I could unlock a few new skins/characters by just levelling up/playing through Raid mode.

Don't know how to get that Pirate costume yet. The files are already there, especially if you've got the PC version.

If I loved RE5 and 6, will I dig this? I know it's heresy but I haven't played any other games in the series.

Edit: whoa whoa whoa, no 1920 x 1200?

This upcoming patch was supposed to add in some 16:10 resolutions though. You may just have to wait a bit if you want to jump in.

As to whether you'll dig this, it depends. If you enjoyed the ridiculous actiony (diving, slide to cover shoot bang) things you could pull off and the dude bro slant of 5 and 6, you may be put off by the much more slower and measured pace of Revelaitons. You're a lot more restricted in Revelaitons and much less of a super man/woman.

For starters it's classic RE, which means less focus on the combat, and more towards the exploration, with a lot more suspense and some survival elements thrown into the mix. There are times where you'll be running the fuck away ala RE 3. There's a choice between shooter and classic (tank) controls, shooter controls is the way to go if you've graduated from the school of RE6 and prefer that style.

The only dodge mechanic (that I'm aware of) is a simple one, to be pulled right before an enemy attack. There isn't a melee bar like in RE6 for punches and kicks, but you're limited to when you can pull it off in RE:R, i.e. when the enemy is Dazed or weakened. You can't dive backwards and fire on your back or roll around. The combat is much slower, and the enemies adjust accordingly. No sprinting options either.

For someone like me who grew up on RE1, 2 and 3 on the PSX, this game is just a brilliant homage to those REs. Locked doors, narrow hallways and that prevasive feeling of dread, just the way I remember it.

Mudkips

Banned
Do you ever think you will want to play off-screen using the gamepad only?

If not, go PC. I love to play the game off-screen, so it was an easy choice for me.

Yeah, I would. But I'm more interested in using the map and item management on the gamepad.

Unless something is majorly fucked I'll probably go with the Wii U version. How's the online in the Wii U version?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Finished episode 3 today and I'm enjoying it, it does feel like a RE game. Shame about the lack of enemy variety though.
I agree, playing this now reminds how how RE is supposed to be
Pacing, music, atmosphere, lack of ammo and general things like key hunting to open that door from 2 hours ago
Its better this way and I hope Capcom continues on this and trash the RE5/6 gameplay style
They've proved they can make a proper RE so they better continue

Do you ever think you will want to play off-screen using the gamepad only?

If not, go PC. I love to play the game off-screen, so it was an easy choice for me.

It sucks as that was the version I wanted most(Wii u), but the framerate micro stutter coupled with it having the worst dead zone compared to other versions, killed that :(

I agree, playing this now reminds how how RE is supposed to be
Pacing, music, atmosphere, lack of ammo and general things like key hunting to open that door from 2 hours ago
Its better this way and I hope Capcom continues on this and trash the RE5/6 gameplay style
They've proved they can make a proper RE so they better continue

Watch the sequel of this RE style be 3DS/Wii U exclusive unless the port does spectacularly well. Which is sad. I get so much nostalgia chills just playing through Revelaitons. So Good.

Hoping that RE 7 would a be a return to form is kinda impossible since RE 6 did gangbusters.

It sucks as that was the version I wanted most(Wii u), but the framerate micro stutter coupled with it having the worst dead zone compared to other versions, killed that :(

Happens occasionally on the PC if you've got a crappy rig like mine lol. Especially when transitioning between major areas.

SkylineRKR

Currently at Episode 6 and I expected less different enemies. There is the goo guys, in different forms. And there are the classic hunters, and a few kinds of water enemies and the occasional boss enemy I faced so far.

Gameplay isn't perfect, but I enjoy this game much, much more than RE6.

Jawmuncher

Picked up the 360 version today with a free copy of RE6. Have the WiiU version back at the house. Should be fun to play this a bit though. Hopefully I enjoy it a bit more than I did on 3DS

Gbraga

PC patch is live:

It seems there's more to come.

As a reminder during the beta, it was found the best setting is actually mouse acceleration: on and aim assist: off.

Why don't they just give us all the most common resolutions instead of manually adding each by request? I'm sure the high end pcs can push this to 8k and still keep a very playable framerate, please let us.

I'm pretty sure I can get it running at 3200x1800 and 60fps, which is the best I can get on my TV while keeping 60Hz

Varg

Banned
15 hours total played so far with this game. Mixture of Raid and Single player of course. Overall I really enjoyed the story and will be playing new game plus on inferno. Sapphire 7970 here and saw none of this micro stutter people are referring to. The only real problem that I have is that I couldn't invite a person from my friend list to play raid mode with on Steam. I can play with randoms galore, but when I try to join him or vice versa, we can never connect. Other then that excellent game and worth the 30 bucks I spent. Can see myself playing Raid mode for a long while (played a shit ton of it so far and im only lvl 13).

Why don't they just give us all the most common resolutions instead of manually adding each by request? I'm sure the high end pcs can push this to 8k and still keep a very playable framerate, please let us.

I'm pretty sure I can get it running at 3200x1800 and 60fps, which is the best I can get on my TV while keeping 60Hz

Funny thing is that they did exactly that for RE 6. Not sure why those PC improvements from 6 weren't retroactively applied to a port of an even older game in the series in the first place. Different porting teams perhaps?

RE 6 :- Inferior core game. Greatly enhanced experience for the PC. (extra modes, graphical and control options)

RE:R :- Superior core game. PC enhancements still in progress.

you know what I found funny? near the end of the 9th(or 10th?) episode, when jill and
chris
are
trying to escape the ship after destroying the virus
, jill's partner keeps on closing the door behind him in front of jill's face while running ahead of her. kinda funny if you do think about it.

Can't wait XD
zlCfzQ_E6lY9YJR841
Please... I need this in a higher res. Need.

Ein Bear

Does the final version of the game have an option to use a laser sight instead of a crosshair? I missed it in the demo.

Mononoke

Banned
15 hours total played so far with this game. Mixture of Raid and Single player of course. Overall I really enjoyed the story and will be playing new game plus on inferno. Sapphire 7970 here and saw none of this micro stutter people are referring to. The only real problem that I have is that I couldn't invite a person from my friend list to play raid mode with on Steam. I can play with randoms galore, but when I try to join him or vice versa, we can never connect. Other then that excellent game and worth the 30 bucks I spent. Can see myself playing Raid mode for a long while (played a shit ton of it so far and im only lvl 13).

Maybe those with microstutter are in SLI/Crossfire configuration?

Sojgat

What are the controls like on 360?

Eurogamer says they're sluggish and unresponsive.

Thinking about picking this up today.

Daigoro

The Japan-only e-Capcom Limited Edition BSAA US Agency Watch came out today and mine just came in. I think it looks great!

this is awesome by the way. where did you get it? i see them up on play asia for a pretty penny.

planning on wearing it, or just keeping it in a box?

antitrop

Funny thing is that they did exactly that for RE 6. Not sure why those PC improvements from 6 weren't retroactively applied to a port of an even older game in the series in the first place. Different porting teams perhaps?

RE 6 :- Inferior core game. Greatly enhanced experience for the PC. (extra modes, graphical and control options)

RE:R :- Superior core game. PC enhancements still in progress.
QLOC did the PC port of RE6, carrying on their tradition of great ports of Super Street Fighter IV, Dead Rising 2, and DmC.

Revelations was probably done by Capcom internally, but that's just a guess.

ugh, it sucks. does installing on consoles help at all?

i find it very annoying.

It's just a pretty standard load stutter. Not like anything important is going on in those lil' loading rooms that requires a good reaction time anyhow. On PC I only get two major stutters when it's almost done loading.

jediyoshi

So dodging with a gamepad is literally just moving the stick forward or back+A (360) at the correct moment? Finishing episodes fine on normal without using it, but considering how little abilities you have, I feeling like I'm missing a chunk of gameplay.

QLOC did the PC port of RE6, carrying on their tradition of great ports of Super Street Fighter IV, Dead Rising 2, and DmC.

Revelations was probably done by Capcom internally, but that's just a guess.

They keep saying "the team in Japan" regarding who is patching Rev. so unless they outsourced it to some other Japanese dev then it indeed is Capcom themselves.

Edit Dead Rising 2 was not ported by QLOC.
Edit or was it? Huh. Interesting. Edit Nope, don't think so. They only did localization I believe.

Daigoro

It's just a pretty standard load stutter. Not like anything important is going on in those lil' loading rooms that requires a good reaction time anyhow. On PC I only get two major stutters when it's almost done loading.

yeah, its not going to cause one to get hit or anything, but it's very ugly. worse on 360 im sure. ill try installing to see if it helps a bit.

i find it quite off-putting.

The dodge in this game feels about as reliable as the one in RE3.

hah. it feels somewhat loose, but its not as bad as that i dont think. seems a lot more reliable to me.

trouble is figuring out different attack animations for all of the different enemy types, and of course having the camera lined up. it can be tricky for sure.

antitrop

They keep saying "the team in Japan" regarding who is patching Rev. so unless they outsourced it to some other Japanese dev then it indeed is Capcom themselves.

Edit Dead Rising 2 was not ported by QLOC.
Edit or was it? Huh. Interesting. Edit Nope, don't think so. They only did localization I believe.
Ya, I just wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was reading. They did the Polish and Russian localization of DR2.

Also regarding the supposed FOV PC enhancement RE6 got, FOV options were already patched in the console versions. It's not a "PC enhancement", it's a "it was included in the code we were porting" situation.

Sectus

Is Ooze Rachel on-disc DLC too?

Also...... LAWL @ the girls holding the hydra like pussies yet the dudes hold it so badass. WHATEVER! Helena's moveset ftw.

Yes. Unlike Lady Hunk, Ooze Rachael was available as pre-order bonus from amazon so she would have to be among the game files anyway either as a patch or manual download (which is the case for consoles).

Jawmuncher

Must just be me but the dodge in RE3 I thought was good....perhaps a bit to good.
I remember that saving my ass against nemesis numerous times. Dodge here is such a gamble until you get the timing down it's better to just run away or stun with the gun.

Also just opened the 360 case. No Booklet just like RE6.....Screw you capcom.

That last track on the final episode was beautiful. Going to have to hunt it down. The one that plays in the
underwater section and leading up to the final boss

Finished the campaign and... I really liked it. I also noticed I dodged some enemy attacks without me hitting A, just tilting the stick. What's up with that? I'm not complaining, though, because it did save my ass a few times.

Yes. Unlike Lady Hunk, Ooze Rachael was available as pre-order bonus from amazon so she would have to be among the game files anyway either as a patch or manual download (which is the case for consoles).

Sectus, I've tried fiddling with the stuff from your txt file but to no avail. Is there a simpler way for a tech illiterate fella like me to mess around with those files physically?

(specific files/folders to swap/rename would be a nice start, I know that I've got to put em in the pl1010 folder but I'm not sure which ones. I'm just dying to see the mods in action in Raid mode lol, it's taking far too long to unlock them normally.)

Finished the campaign and... I really liked it. I also noticed I dodged some enemy attacks without me hitting A, just tilting the stick. What's up with that? I'm not complaining, though, because it did save my ass a few times.

It's either tilt the stick forwards, or tilt it backwards + A. Either way works.

Neiteio

That last track on the final episode was beautiful. Going to have to hunt it down. The one that plays in the

Because all you have to do is tilt the stick. No button is needed to dodge.

Anteo

It's either Till forward, or do a quick turn motion (till back and a button), you get in a different position with each.

The game tells you to tilt stick and press A so I blame the game.

Yeah the game explains it poorly. But as I said, you either go towards the enemy or do a quick turn.

It's either Till forward, or do a quick turn motion (till back and a button), you get in a different position with each.

Yeah the game explains it poorly. But as I said, you either go towards the enemy or do a quick turn.
That explains why when I actually wanted to dodge it never seemed to work out very well. I always did forward + A.

Holy shit. Just saw some gameplay of her in Raid Mode, I'm never allowing any of my friends to play as her. If I would suddenly turn around I'd shit myself thinking she was an enemy. Also that voice *shudders*

Jawmuncher

Holy shit. Just saw some gameplay of her in Raid Mode, I'm never allowing any of my friends to play as her. If I would suddenly turn around I'd shit myself thinking she was an enemy. Also that voice *shudders*

FOUND YOU!

Also funny story about Rachel when I played on the 3DS.
(Will spoil tag just in case)
When I got to the part where you fight her, when you enter the room and she leaves I never expected her to pop up at the top of the stairs and run at you. Figured it would follow typical game logic where i'd fight her in a "boss room". Needless to say I actually jumped and went OH SHIT out loud while playing the game since it was so unexpected.

Top Bottom