• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Dominator

Yeah came out today, just beat episode one from it. Gonna play the rest tomorrow but I like it so far. I feel like there are tons of alternate paths to find things so I'll need more playthroughs lol

Yep -- it comes out today!

I just checked and you're right, but I don't understand.

How can there be a disc version with all the episodes if Episode 4 hasn't been released yet?

Does the disc version have this episode early or do you have to wait for it even if you buy the disc?

Dizzy-4U

No story spoilers, but all unlockable spoilers. For anyone who wants all the campaign unlockables, here they are:
-Chicago Typewriter (Weapon)

Haha, what the hell?

edit: Ah, bleh! I thought it was an actual typewriter as a weapon.

Dominator

I just checked and you're right, but I don't understand.

How can there be a disc version with all the episodes if Episode 4 hasn't been released yet?

Does the disc version have this episode early or do you have to wait for it even if you buy the disc?
The episode will probably go up when PSN updates, but some stores had midnight launches for Battlefield tonight so I got my copy. If one were to run straight through now then you can probably beat it before the episode goes up later today.

The episode will probably go up when PSN updates, but some stores had midnight launches for Battlefield tonight so I got my copy. If one were to run straight through now then you can probably beat it before the episode goes up later today.

yeah...which I find incredibly shitty...episode 1 got released at midnight, why couldn't they friggin do that with the whole season?

KyleCross

Spoiler question for the story but hoping for a non-spoilery answer if at all possible.

I keep seeing mentions of a "Good Ending" here. So there's two endings? What's the criteria for the good ending? Is it an obvious choice you make in the game? Is it something tied to collectibles? Is it a multi-playthrough unlock? I just want to be able to get the Good Ending my first time through if possible. Anyway to vaguely tell me what to look out for?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
First full-game reviews:
Review Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998189

GameTrailers - 8.3/10
Resident Evil Revelations 2 strikes the perfect balance between new and old. Returning plot threads and ammo management will please franchise veterans, while anyone can appreciate the thrill of intimate monster encounters and distressing boss battles. With a replayable campaign, multiple protagonists, and a lengthy raid mode, all for a bargain price, there's plenty to keep fans coming back.

Game Informer - 8/10
Resident Evil Revelations 2 gets a lot right. It left me on edge and invested in the world and characters. I just wish the experience was more even, because some dips in the action hinder the experience. Still, trudging through the slower moments does pay off when you experience the adrenaline rush from some of the unforgettable moments.

GamesRadar - 4/5
For fans who were miffed by Resident Evil 5 and 6's penchant for zombie-judo, Revelations 2 will wrestle your fears into submission. The game has its fair share of action, but its somber tone and strong emphasis on ranged gunplay put it more in line with RE4 than the other modern games. Its two teams of complementary characters make this a fantastic cooperative experience, whether you're playing through the story or the ever-engrossing Raid Mode.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Resident Evil Revelations 2 is an absolute surprise. While the first game was arguably the best spinoff the series has seen, Revelations 2 steps it up by offering a perfectly suited episodic format. The bite-sized experience comes with more content than most sixty dollar releases, with the Raid Mode alone being worth the investment, giving players an unhealthy amount of enjoyment. It’s a shame the survival horror title doesn’t have online co-op at launch, but it still offers something far deeper than anything in the series, and is the best value for your dollar. Resident Evil Revelations 2 may have started off a bit slow, but Capcom was able to redeem themselves by creating an irresistible adventure through and through.

USGamer - 3.5/5
Resident Evil Revelations 2 might not move the series forward, but, at the same time, it isn't at all the cheap cash-in it easily could have been. If you're a survival horror fan in need of a Resident Evil fix, Revelations 2 will definitely be fulfilling.

EGMNow - 8/10
While not as fresh and daring as its previous chapter, Resident Evil Revelations 2 is still a fantastic new addition to Capcom’s seminal survival-horror series, one that mixes some welcome gameplay polish with a great selection of monsters and a superb leading cast.

I feel like the way I would score a game, and the way critics do differ so much. I haven't played episode 4 yet, but based on the hours of raid mode, and the first 3 episodes, I have had more fun with this than I have with any RE in a long time. That alone would make it rank so much higher than the scores given. Not to mention the value proposition of it being only $25 on PSN.

Dusk Golem

Spoiler question for the story but hoping for a non-spoilery answer if at all possible.

I keep seeing mentions of a "Good Ending" here. So there's two endings? What's the criteria for the good ending? Is it an obvious choice you make in the game? Is it something tied to collectibles? Is it a multi-playthrough unlock? I just want to be able to get the Good Ending my first time through if possible. Anyway to vaguely tell me what to look out for?

Sure thing,
two endings, in episode 3, the decision of Claire or Moira shooting Neil decides what ending you're going for. If Claire shoots it, it's the bad ending, if Moira shoots it, it's the good ending. Both are worth experiencing however.

While not as fresh and daring as its previous chapter, Resident Evil Revelations 2 is still a fantastic new addition to Capcom’s seminal survival-horror series, one that mixes some welcome gameplay polish with a great selection of monsters and a superb leading cast.

I don't know if I'd call Revelations 1 daring, but it was at least somewhat fresh in how it approached the campaign from multiple perspectives. That was very cool...

Dusk Golem

Few more full game reviews:

Metro.uk - 8/10
A mostly successful mix of the best of classic and modern era Resident Evil, with some of the most enjoyably unique co-op options of any recent game.

Stevivor - 8.5/10
All up, you’ve probably seen my love for the game grow in the four weeks I’ve spent with it. For great gameplay and a low cost, you can’t go wrong with Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Buy it for nothing else than to give Capcom more money to produce quality content.

Pocket-Lint Written Review
It might not be the mammoth equivalent as its earlier originals were to the wider gaming world tapestry, but the full Revelations 2 package is the best Resident Evil game for a decade.

I picked up my copy of FF type-0 HD tonight...played it for a bit, even downloaded the demo for FFXV...

why am I still playing Raid mode in this instead?? XD

Alienous

These are some good reviews.

Review thread? The game could probably use the attention.

Ugh, I should probably pay attention, lol.

Only managed to play episode 1 so far, but damn, this game has its heart in the right place. Atmosphere was excellent in the first chapter, loved the slow pace through the woods and there were some great moments and callbacks.

My initial impressions of the game were extremely low. I still don't feel the penal colony was a strong area. But man, did this game turn around. Despite being the point A to B affair that others have brought up, Barry's campaign had more interesting enemies and a stronger atmosphere that led me to prefer it. And from then on the game continued to improve, including fun puzzle throwbacks like the RE3 battery and fuel puzzle as well as those in episode 3 were fun to experience. Like the original Revelations, it gives the feeling that everything it does well could be done much better. However, overall I can't help but feel it's an improvement over the original, especially without the game forcing you to shoot endless hunters.

I've read much of the thread and I want to address some of the Japanese translation/Moira conversation that's been going on. It's not as if "saiaku" wouldn't translate to expletives in English. Japanese doesn't directly translate to English and the "direct" translation comparisons up to this point don't really give you the feel of the Japanese dialogue and it's no wonder that it's going to come across as "boring." The Japanese language doesn't really have expletives because it doesn't need them in the same way that English does. Discussing whether or not the Japanese dialogue is "cleaner" or not is meaningless.

However, that doesn't mean that the English dialogue isn't awful. While it's true that the series owes some of its popularity and memorability to unintentionally poor dialogue, REV2's absurd script tries far too hard to be as ridiculous as possible. Can you imagine if RE2 were translated in the same way? While its English script is far from perfect, some of the dialogue actually seems to read a bit better than the Japanese script (I may be murdered for this comment by a certain individual, I know). Rather painfully transparent attempts at being as silly as possible, why not try to be better? This doesn't mean foregoing all attempts at humor, mind you.

Dusk Golem

Oh, so they had the brilliant idea to put those invisible enemies in raid mode too. That's just great....

I was worried initially, but honestly think they're a lot easier in Raid Mode. They're slow, and if you point your laser cursor over them in Raid, they'll just appear. Only real threat they cause in my opinion is not being aware they're there until too late, like if you accidentally run right into one before you register the screen and sound effects are happening.

Dizzy-4U

I was worried initially, but honestly think they're a lot easier in Raid Mode. They're slow, and if you point your laser cursor over them in Raid, they'll just appear. Only real threat they cause in my opinion is not being aware they're there until too late, like if you accidentally run right into one before you register the screen and sound effects are happening.
Laser cursor, is that a drop? None of my weapons have that. I haven't used a pistol since I started, maybe it's exclusive to that.

lemmykoopa

Can anyone tell me how hard the puzzles are in Ep3? I don't like hard puzzles in game. I heard ep3 has more puzzles than all of RE4 and 5 combined.

Dusk Golem

Laser cursor, is that a drop? None of my weapons have that. I haven't used a pistol since I started, maybe it's exclusive to that.

Oh, forgot about this. XD No, I just mean when you aim your gun. In the options menu, you can choose to either have a reticle (like Revelations 1) or laser sight (like RE4 or RE5), I opt for the laser sight so there's a laser whenever you aim to show where you're aiming. If you aim your gun at an invisible enemy, it will reveal itself.

Dusk Golem

Can anyone tell me how hard the puzzles are in Ep3? I don't like hard puzzles in game. I heard ep3 has more puzzles than all of RE4 and 5 combined.

It does, but the puzzles aren't hard. They're kind of... Simple logic puzzles. There's a clue, pieces in the environment, piece together what you're supposed to do.

Least that's how it is for episode 3, hear there's some more puzzles in episode 4, but while they're more in-depth than recent entries, none are really hard in my opinion at least, though a few may have a solution that first alludes you.

Oh, forgot about this. XD No, I just mean when you aim your gun. In the options menu, you can choose to either have a reticle (like Revelations 1) or laser sight (like RE4 or RE5), I opt for the laser sight so there's a laser whenever you aim to show where you're aiming. If you aim your gun at an invisible enemy, it will reveal itself.

AHx5tfA.gif

lemmykoopa

It does, but the puzzles aren't hard. They're kind of... Simple logic puzzles. There's a clue, pieces in the environment, piece together what you're supposed to do.

Least that's how it is for episode 3, hear there's some more puzzles in episode 4, but while they're more in-depth than recent entries, none are really hard in my opinion at least, though a few may have a solution that first alludes you.

Thanks.

Sure thing,
two endings, in episode 3, the decision of Claire or Moira shooting Neil decides what ending you're going for. If Claire shoots it, it's the bad ending, if Moira shoots it, it's the good ending. Both are worth experiencing however.

So you need to
replay episode 3 and 4 to get both endings
?

Dizzy-4U

Ah, I see. Haven't messed around in the options too much. Thanks.

Edit: Just tested. No need for laser sight to spot the thingies. The normal crosshair can do the trick too.

Downloaded the patch, registered residentevil.net, tried to link my account......"residentevil.net is not available, please try again later".

I am not surprised.

edit:

Application error
Error(U0091) Invalid value entered

Yeah, sure. It would be cool if something actually works on Day 1.

Lagamorph

Just finished Chapter 2.

Whoever came up with the
invisible one hit kill enemies
must be banned from ever working in game design ever again.

Mr_Zombie

Stupid question, but the retail PC version will surely require Steam and thus have Steam product key included, right? I'm asking since there's no information about Steam DRM on either shop I'm looking at and I don't have DVD drive in my PC. So buying the game and not being able to install it would be... sad.

Jawmuncher

So is the RE.net stuff not up on PC yet?
I see no indication on activating it in game and when I set it up on the website it just says
I need to set up Data Upload. Even though that isn't a option. Also it still crashes when I try to do a non-daily mission online.
Then again reading here it sounds like there was a patch before hand, which hasn't happened yet on PC I don't think.

Stupid question, but the retail PC version will surely require Steam and thus have Steam product key included, right? I'm asking since there's no information about Steam DRM on either shop I'm looking at and I don't have DVD drive in my PC. So buying the game and not being able to install it would be... sad.

Yes it will be steam works. It's the only version of the game on PC.

I'm also one of those that have been holding off until the full retail one has come out. Since I've heard mostly good things about the game I'm stoked to pick it up.

tav7623

So is the RE.net stuff not up on PC yet?
I see no indication on activating it in game and when I set it up on the website it just says
I need to set up Data Upload. Even though that isn't a option. Also it still crashes when I try to do a non-daily mission online.
Then again reading here it sounds like there was a patch before hand, which hasn't happened yet on PC I don't think.

As far as I know it (being able to synchronize with RE.net) is currently only available for the PS4 version (they got a update/patch last night around midnight EST that the other versions to my knowledge haven't received yet), but it will (probably) become available once Episode 4 drops later this afternoon/tomorrow.

As far as I know it (being able to synchronize with RE.net) is currently only available for the PS4 version (they got a update/patch last night around midnight EST that the other versions to my knowledge haven't received yet), but it will (probably) become available once Episode 4 drops later this afternoon/tomorrow.

xbox one is available (for me, Germany) but I can't enter my code (link my account). It's invalid according to residentevil.net.

Manu

Just finished Chapter 2.

Whoever came up with the
invisible one hit kill enemies
must be banned from ever working in game design ever again.

git gud nub

Seriously, they're not that hard. You can 'see' them with Natalia and she will continue to tell you where they are when you switch back to Barry.

I didn't die to Glasps once on Episode 2.

foxdvd

wow linked to Res evil.net and turns out I have 65 hours in this already. Half of that is actually the main game and not raid (multiple runs for medals and invisible mode/countdown)

This is easily the best game I have played in over a year. Even better than the heavy hitters released late last year (like Dragon age)

Top Bottom