• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Nemesis_

I need a favor, I don't have the game with me right now. So I'm going to ask you to do something for me, can you please confirm to me which of these skills are in the game currently (Raid Mode)?

Auto Evade
Hurler
Quick Heal
Bewilder

Auto Evade - Episode 3 Character -
....Neil.....
Hurler - Extra Episode Character -
.....Evgeny.....
Quick Heal - Multiple Characters -
Neil, Evgeny, Alex, Chris, Leon
maybe everyone actually >_>
Bewilder - Episode 4 Character -
Alex......

Bewilder feels more powerful I think. It affects enemies in an area and upgrades increase the time that enemies stay bewildered and how many times you can use it in a single match.

Neiteio

But the enemies don't do anything and the environments are all super bland and flat. Yes you get the cool powered enemies but they don't really begin to actually mix well into who knows when, I am about 30 missions in and the majority of enemies are the same boring guys that run at you and die easily. Then you get hunters that run at you, and dogs that run at you, and so on. Since the environment is not used in any way the combat is simply you either running up to a guy or them running at you and you blast them with a shotgun. The only danger is running out of bullets. In the other RE games you had to use the entire stage to your advantage, enemies would come from all angles and had many tactics to take you down. The combat is not great at all. Any Mercs is better than this. Maybe on very hard the challenge becomes interesting but why should it take 10 hours to get good.
"Enemies running at you" is exactly what happens in Mercs, too, only in Mercs they slowly shuffle in circles around you before one of them lunges. In Raid, there's much more variety than you describe, whether it's an enemy where a well-aimed headshot will kill him instantly but scatter mines that can be either hazardous to you or an asset (if you use them against foes), or enemies that have hidden weakpoints you must expose, and that rearrange their body parts to make the weakpoints hard to hit, switching between walking on two legs and all fours. You have enemies that can lunge and grapple, enemies that can continue crawling after they've been killed, enemies that will recompose themselves to fire splash damage projectiles until you destroy their core. You have enemies that explode in proximity to you, or on death, unleashing fire or ice or lightning that can hinder your foes if it doesn't kill you first. The list goes on and on. Raid is perfectly deep, and the levels are suitably varied with intertwining passages and blind corrners and elevation changes, depending on the map. Raid is great.

Neiteio

So have we figured out the full roster of Raid characters?

Also, if Omega Gauntlet is not a Ghost Ship-style run through the whole island, what is it?

Haha, very well :)

I'm so obsessed with this game... I can't stop thinking about it!

I kinda... stopped playing it. It's really boring to play solo tbh? Blah. I need online patched asap.

Also we know 14/15 characters for sure.

I must say I'm let-down with Wesker.

He was such a boss in RE5 Mercenaries, with his various melee attacks, his grunts in which he sounds like he's punching you to the next decade, his taunts, his dash and everything.

Now he's a little bitch that does the lamest melee attack he had in RE5, which looks like an alternate version to the cobra strike, and they paired it with a lame sound effect and grunt.

Seriously, what happened to Wesker's donke (or was it jaguar)? kick, mustang kick, tiger uppercut, ghost butterfly?

http://youtu.be/1cI-5hFX5vs?t=23s

To be honest, I feel the same way but for Jill. Where's her cartwheel, head grab moves, roundhouse (well Claire+Gina+Moira got that... pfft)? Couldn't she had gotten the head grab at least as a stealth kill move? That's classic Jill, not this impostor we got from REV. At least they gave her the double knee drop which is so nice to have back but the grunts arent even there in the same way. And the fact that they kept the reverse roundhouse from RE5 (that you basically never used) and REV is just... I don't know why I expected something else. Michelle Ruff is probably the worst voice actress ever and I DESPISE the grunts Jill make when a Revenant grabs her, I cringe every time. I guess that's the difference from just voicing a character rather than also doing mo-cap and voice acting at the same time. RE5 is so well polished and every move the characters do there have some grunt at an appropriate time or anything and it makes it more realistic or just like the character you're playing as is actually making some effort or that you're controlling THEM and not just one skin out of 15 like in this game. It's just small stuff and details like that, that add to the experience and make you appreciate it more. Not to mention that the voice acting in that game is great.

The melee moves in this game are weird, animation wise. I don't know why, I can't really put my finger on it but they feel so... weak or something like that.

/end Jill rant.

"Enemies running at you" is exactly what happens in Mercs, too, only in Mercs they slowly shuffle in circles around you before one of them lunges. In Raid, there's much more variety than you describe, whether it's an enemy where a well-aimed headshot will kill him instantly but scatter mines that can be either hazardous to you or an asset (if you use them against foes), or enemies that have hidden weakpoints you must expose, and that rearrange their body parts to make the weakpoints hard to hit, switching between walking on two legs and all fours. You have enemies that can lunge and grapple, enemies that can continue crawling after they've been killed, enemies that will recompose themselves to fire splash damage projectiles until you destroy their core. You have enemies that explode in proximity to you, or on death, unleashing fire or ice or lightning that can hinder your foes if it doesn't kill you first. The list goes on and on. Raid is perfectly deep, and the levels are suitably varied with intertwining passages and blind corrners and elevation changes, depending on the map. Raid is great.

It is deep, the combat is not that great. Compare one mission from Raid 2 to any Mercs level in any game since RE4, are you going to tell me it is anywhere near as intense. In Raid you have to wait for a few enemies to spawn at a time, they usually slowly get up, half the time you are actively looking for enemies. Here is an example:
http://youtu.be/7DZ1i_m7SjQ

Compare that to a Mercs level where you need to move around the level, get timer upgrades, keep a combo going, use melee to get a higher score. Look at the size and complexity of the level in the below video, compare that to what you saw in raid 2, they are not even close. Look at how the enemies swarm you, he can't even turn without seeing like 3 guys waiting to attack. The action is at an entire different pace. Look at the first map from RE5:

http://youtu.be/CchXl140O6s

Now I know this is raid mode not Mercs but then why in the hell did they change the structure from the first raid game which was about getting through a level, into an arena like Mercs map where all you do is countdown kills. If you give me an arena I expect Mercs level action, and this falls way short. Also the lack of any scoring system is ridiculous, even the first raid had rankings.

I understand at high levels it becomes far more challenging but as I showed in the example above the first time you start Mercs the levels are super intense and fun. Not the case with raid 2.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I agree that the first several levels of raid are pretty slow. The good news is, only your main needs to play them all (I think?)

Some of the stuff near the end of episode 2 is pretty ridiculous, though. That (raid level spolers)
*everyone's hasted!* level with shielded exploders and frozen hunters
, for instance. Or those
hidden, shilded, ability granting bugs
ugh I killed the last one with my rocket launcher, just because.

Next week is going to be just crazy.

Thanks.

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY.

These are skills that are in the game files. They will be available later.

I am 99% certain Bewilder is Alex's ability. (Her ability is to make one enemy her ally. Has amazing potential, imagine Skags as an ally.)

Hurler / Auto Evade are probably for Evgeny and Neil.

Have we found out what the
crossover gestures
are yet?

AdaWong

Auto Evade - Episode 3 Character -
....Neil.....
Hurler - Extra Episode Character -
.....Evgeny.....
Quick Heal - Multiple Characters -
Neil, Evgeny, Alex, Chris, Leon
maybe everyone actually >_>
Bewilder - Episode 4 Character -
Alex......

Bewilder feels more powerful I think. It affects enemies in an area and upgrades increase the time that enemies stay bewildered and how many times you can use it in a single match.

Oh thanks a lot! This just confirmed what I originally thought. Really interested in Bewilder.

Have we found out what the
crossover gestures
are yet?

I have no idea. Sorry!

But speaking of things with
"cross", there is a Crossbow in the game files... Oh, and a bubble gun.

MrMuscle

Just unlocked Cipher in Raid mode and that guy starts with no weapon slots. So you need to sword you way to lvl 8 before equipping a gun.

Jawmuncher

Off Topic but i'm playing Dying Light and the voice of Chris redfield is the main character.
He uses the exact same voice he does for chris. It's like i'm playing a RE spin-off.

I kinda think Claire's voice change was the same reason Jill's was changed,
The group of people currently doing the voices like to work with their friends so they hire them or push for them whenever they get the chance over others.

Jill's voice change was to a close friend of the English voice director(who voiced Rebecca herself) of 5, 6, Rev1 and Darkside.
Claire's went from someone who doesn't really do much outside of RE to a member of another group that is within RE's voice cast(Roger Craig Smith, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, etc).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Why is the game telling me that my friend has 535 more medals than me haha? First of all...can't we only get 450 right now haha? My friend isn't a hacker first, and any we're on PS4 so there is no hacking at all hahaha. WTF?

MrMuscle

Why is the game telling me that my friend has 535 more medals than me haha? First of all...can't we only get 450 right now haha? My friend isn't a hacker first, and any we're on PS4 so there is no hacking at all hahaha. WTF?

Medals seems to count across all characters. So if you can get 450 per character and there is what, 12 characters available now. You can i theory get 12 x 450.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Guys, episode 3 cannot come out fast enough.

Manu

>mfw when finding an orange, fast, shielded scagdead in Raid.

962.gif

kamineko

>mfw when finding an orange, fast, shielded scagdead in Raid.

Yeah, seriously fuck those guys. I thought shooting it in the face with a rocket launcher would be enough to negate the shield. Nope

The spawning hunters jumping around are a nice touch <_<

joe2187

Banned
Scagdeads are the worst. they are terribly designed enemies. You can only score crits off the liitle head and lining up a good shot is a crap shoot.

Even the giant shellfish guys from rev1 were easier to deal with, it was easy to exploit their weakness and patterns. Scags are just mindledd bullet sponges.

Manu

Scagdeads are the worst. they are terribly designed enemies. You can only score crits off the liitle head and lining up a good shot is a crap shoot.

Even the giant shellfish guys from rev1 were easier to deal with, it was easy to exploit their weakness and patterns. Scags are just mindledd bullet sponges.

Scagdeads are probably my most hated enemy in the whole franchise.

The first scagdead you find in Rev 1, the one that works as a boss battle, holy shit. One of the worst boss fights ever. A bullet sponge that can follow and OHK you anywhere while tons of regular enemies spawn.

At least it doesn't leave those fucking bear trap things on this one.

kamineko

Is the deluxe edition worth 15$ more? Or 10$ more with gmg sales? Honestly it doesnt seem like it.

Depends on if you want the extras. If you're on the fence about any of them, it would probably make sense to buy them a la carte--if at all

The core game & raid experience doesn't change much

Neiteio

It is deep, the combat is not that great. Compare one mission from Raid 2 to any Mercs level in any game since RE4, are you going to tell me it is anywhere near as intense. In Raid you have to wait for a few enemies to spawn at a time, they usually slowly get up, half the time you are actively looking for enemies. Here is an example:

Compare that to a Mercs level where you need to move around the level, get timer upgrades, keep a combo going, use melee to get a higher score. Look at the size and complexity of the level in the below video, compare that to what you saw in raid 2, they are not even close. Look at how the enemies swarm you, he can't even turn without seeing like 3 guys waiting to attack. The action is at an entire different pace. Look at the first map from RE5:

Now I know this is raid mode not Mercs but then why in the hell did they change the structure from the first raid game which was about getting through a level, into an arena like Mercs map where all you do is countdown kills. If you give me an arena I expect Mercs level action, and this falls way short. Also the lack of any scoring system is ridiculous, even the first raid had rankings.

I understand at high levels it becomes far more challenging but as I showed in the example above the first time you start Mercs the levels are super intense and fun. Not the case with raid 2.
I've S-ranked every level in every Mercenaries from RE4 onward (including Mercs 3D). I know how hectic Mercs can be. Granted, it's purely arena-based and time-based, lacking the variety of Raid (where you have gated area progression levels, looping levels, defense levels, arena-based levels, with and without time limits), so naturally it will always run at that "speed," which is frankly why some people came to be tired of Mercs, if they were ever interested in the first place. Mercs people aren't going to convince Raid people that Mercs is superior, and vice-versa.

But I like both.

And your videos prove nothing. Raid has its share of multi-tiered, multi-room maps that are just as horizontal as vertical, with ramps and railings and ladders, fire barrels and ice barrels and power generators, etc. And I've had plenty of Raid runs in Rev 2 where I felt like I was under more pressure than I ever was in Mercs. I'm sweating more in high-level Raid than I did in Mercs. (I imagine that will be even more true when I encounter the invisible speedy Scagdeads &#8212; being swarmed by three explosive Revenants in a tight alley is already rough enough!)

We currently have something like 90 missions in Rev 2 Raid (compared to, what, eight maps in RE5 Mercs? Again, apples and oranges), and those levels have been scaling nicely in difficulty relative to your ever-expanding ability to power up and customize your character.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. That people should dislike Raid like you do? You can always play RE5 Mercs if you're disappointed with Rev 2 Raid.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll make a game at some point that features both Mercs and Raid, and content spanning the entire series (including the opportunity to finally play as RE4's ill-fated Luis).

Neiteio

They're actually some of my favorite enemies, but I'm a Claire main so maybe it's easier. I slow them down with ice bottles, then circle around their backside using the dodge sidestep, and fire away with the shotgun. This is especially useful with the shield variants, which are only vulnerable from the sides and behind.

Mercenaries got so dull especially when you are actually good at it.
Run around the small arena map collecting all the stupid timers-> go sit in a good position until the enemies start thinning out-> quick run around to get some enemies and back to your spot for the remainder.

Only way to make it really interesting again is to add a mode without the obnoxious timers/limit and make it survival based.
See how long you last and how much you score within that time.

Neiteio

Mercenaries got so dull especially when you are actually good at it.
Run around the small arena map collecting all the stupid timers-> go sit in a good position until the enemies start thinning out-> quick run around to get some enemies and back to your spot for the remainder.

Only way to make it really interesting again is to add a mode without the obnoxious timers/limit and make it survival based.
I think the intent with Mercs was that players would only hit the time bonuses if they felt they could survive to the end, but the way people end up playing it is running through the map hitting all of the time bonuses at the start, which as you said is a dull routine and kind of makes the time limit pointless.

But it's not completely pointless, since you still have to kill X number of enemies within that time limit in order to get the best score. If there was no time limit in Mercs, anyone could get the highest score eventually.

I think the intent with Mercs was that players would only hit the time bonuses if they felt they could survive to the end, but the way people end up playing it is running through the map hitting all of the time bonuses at the start, which as you said is a dull routine and kind of makes the time limit pointless.

But it's not completely pointless, since you still have to kill X number of enemies within that time limit in order to get the best score. If there was no time limit in Mercs, anyone could get the highest score eventually.

Eh, I just got tired of running them over and over just to do something maybe half a second faster or get just one more zombie in the combo.

What I mean by without the time limit is infinite enemies as well.
Then even if you are absolutely great at it you can still try surviving another 5-10+ minutes or another 100 zombies.

Neiteio

Eh, I just got tired of running them over and over just to do something maybe half a second faster or get just one more zombie in the combo.

What I mean by without the time limit is infinite enemies as well.
The problem with no time limit/infinite enemies Mercs is that once you're good at Mercs nothing can kill you, so... it'd last forever. I guess you could limit ammo, but then you'd reach a situation where you deliberately suicide or die knifing enemies.

The problem with no time limit/infinite enemies Mercs is that once you're good at Mercs nothing can kill you, so... it'd last forever. I guess you could limit ammo, but then you'd reach a situation where you deliberately suicide or die knifing enemies.

Keep ammo and herbs the same but make difficulty increase by wave or time,
Say at 5:00 a boss comes, 10:00 two come, 15:00 three come, and so on.

So something like COD zombies but without them gaining more and more health every round.

Neiteio

Keep ammo and herbs the same but make difficulty increase by wave or time,
Say at 5:00 a boss comes, 10:00 two come, 15:00 three come, and so on.

So something like COD zombies but without them gaining more and more health every round.
I suppose that could work, since the optimization would come from saving heavy weapons and environmental hazards for crowds/bosses. Still, I don't think Mercs is broken. They can still refine the balance and find that sweet spot, I think.

Neiteio

I'm going to buy every bit of unique content they release for this game, so if you're getting all of that at a discount with the retail version, I'd say it's worthwhile, but honestly, I think the early access buying it digitally has been well-worth it.

Any recommendations for skills to focus on getting?

For the most parts I've unlocked up to the second last to last tier, I'm now wondering which to focus on.

Am I right to say stuff like charged melee and evade are priority?

On another note, Light stun -> Charged kick -> Crowbar + Knife finisher is a sick combo when the AI backs you up XD

MrPanic

I loved raid mode on revelations 1 on 3ds so I keep being tempted to get this, but something just feels off everytime I look at the footage. How much do you have to spend to get the full raid experience?

Jawmuncher

Oh people are hating the scagdead?
I thought we were talking about this guy, I personally hate him more.
Revelations-Boss-Fight.jpg

has he shown up yet in Rev 2?

Top Bottom