• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

I loved raid mode on revelations 1 on 3ds so I keep being tempted to get this, but something just feels off everytime I look at the footage. How much do you have to spend to get the full raid experience?

The Raid mode is great. If you spend the six bucks on Ep.1 you'll get a ton of it to play around with, should keep you busy for a bit. Honestly though, the main game is great so far as well. I'd suggest taking the plunge and dropping the 25 bucks. I'm really enjoying the narrative so far and the Raid Mode is crazy addictive

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I loved raid mode on revelations 1 on 3ds so I keep being tempted to get this, but something just feels off everytime I look at the footage. How much do you have to spend to get the full raid experience?

If you don't care about costumes and Wesker, you won't have to spend anything extra. Just buy the complete season.

If you do want these things, you can buy them separately as DLC or buy the complete edition.

IMO, the only DLC that might turn out to be essential will be extra part storage. But only if you like holding on to stuff (I do).

Raid mode vanilla is not gimped in any way

I WANT THAT KATANA.
So lame that Moira's other costume doesn't have it despite being on her back.
Only time where I wish Costumes counted as other characters.

I'm working on maxing w/new guy it just to give it to Moira. That outfit + her skills = just feels right

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Wait, Cipher's katana is a skill that can be maxed out and inherited by other characters? :-O

O hell yes! Think you need to get him to level 30 or so. Not too bad. Think the worst of it is just getting him to level 8 so he can carry a gun (stabbing those elemental enemies doesn't really work out, lol)

With her charge & melee skill it's gonna be awesome. I'm holding off on leveling her until I can pass this on.

EDIT:
How do you get the medal in Barry's Ep.2 where you need to defeat two enemies with a follow up? Do I need the AI to do a follow up?

No, you can give Claire and Barry the follow-up skill. It's basically just knocking something down and then stabbing it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to drop consistently (or else they just haven't found a consistent method yet). Current recommendation over at playstationtrophies is to pitch an exploding bottle, then do the R2 ground attack (after buying the skill, of course). I haven't gotten it yet <_<

Slingers knock enemies down with their ball o' sludge, but that seems like a pretty frustrating method

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...evil-revelations-2-trophy-guide-road-map.html

Neiteio

O hell yes! Think you need to get him to level 30 or so. Not too bad. Think the worst of it is just getting him to level 8 so he can carry a gun (stabbing those elemental enemies doesn't really work out, lol)

With her charge & melee skill it's gonna be awesome. I'm holding off on leveling her until I can pass this on.
This sounds amazing. :-O

How do I unlock CIpher? Is it 90 completion medals?

Grisby

Off Topic but i'm playing Dying Light and the voice of Chris redfield is the main character.
He uses the exact same voice he does for chris. It's like i'm playing a RE spin-off.
He's such a loveable dick in that game sometimes.

Loved his performance in Dying Light.

Off Topic but i'm playing Dying Light and the voice of Chris redfield is the main character.
He uses the exact same voice he does for chris. It's like i'm playing a RE spin-off.

I have the same problem playing castlevania SotN as Richter's VA is the guy who also did Chris in RE1

Honestly, I really struggle with Wesker. Granted, he's about 4 levels below on recommended levels but I just always run out of ammo for him. He's using a pistol and magnum.

On the flipside I think Hunk is OP. He's dominating even when he's up to 10 levels below the recommended level. He's got 4 weapon slots out the gate and has a 'fuck this I'm going invisible' special skill to fall back on.

I've S-ranked every level in every Mercenaries from RE4 onward (including Mercs 3D). I know how hectic Mercs can be. Granted, it's purely arena-based and time-based, lacking the variety of Raid (where you have gated area progression levels, looping levels, defense levels, arena-based levels, with and without time limits), so naturally it will always run at that "speed," which is frankly why some people came to be tired of Mercs, if they were ever interested in the first place. Mercs people aren't going to convince Raid people that Mercs is superior, and vice-versa.

But I like both.

And your videos prove nothing. Raid has its share of multi-tiered, multi-room maps that are just as horizontal as vertical, with ramps and railings and ladders, fire barrels and ice barrels and power generators, etc. And I've had plenty of Raid runs in Rev 2 where I felt like I was under more pressure than I ever was in Mercs. I'm sweating more in high-level Raid than I did in Mercs. (I imagine that will be even more true when I encounter the invisible speedy Scagdeads — being swarmed by three explosive Revenants in a tight alley is already rough enough!)

We currently have something like 90 missions in Rev 2 Raid (compared to, what, eight maps in RE5 Mercs? Again, apples and oranges), and those levels have been scaling nicely in difficulty relative to your ever-expanding ability to power up and customize your character.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. That people should dislike Raid like you do? You can always play RE5 Mercs if you're disappointed with Rev 2 Raid.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll make a game at some point that features both Mercs and Raid, and content spanning the entire series (including the opportunity to finally play as RE4's ill-fated Luis).

My first point is that this raid takes forever to get good. My main who is Wesker is still at level 22 so I have not gotten to the good stuff yet but have played a ton. Meanwhile every other RE submode is great from the start.

I also don't think the combat in this game is anything special, no where near the combat system of RE6. Doesn't feel as solid as RE4 or RE5 and definetly doesn't have the level design those games have. So yeah I am simply offering a different opinion. RE threads always confuse me cause you get people who hate everything about new RE, people who seemed confused and think Rev1 was a return to old RE when it clearly was not, and now the love for this kind of messy but interesting game is just as weird. It's really good but I would never put it anywhere close to RE4 or RE5 and to me RE6 was far more fun to play from a combat system point of view.

So yeah I just want to provide a counter opinion, which is not that negative. I am hooked on the game and think it's good to great. I just would warn anyone who comes in expecting an excellent combat system this feels more Arcadey and loose than any of the RE shooters, maybe people like that, I don't.

Countdown mode is pretty awesome. At the very least Episode One is pretty well balanced for it.

Probably the best mode in the game. Genius.

MechaX

Scagdeads are probably my most hated enemy in the whole franchise.

The first scagdead you find in Rev 1, the one that works as a boss battle, holy shit. One of the worst boss fights ever. A bullet sponge that can follow and OHK you anywhere while tons of regular enemies spawn.

At least it doesn't leave those fucking bear trap things on this one.

And here I though it was just a coincidence that I lost the will to play Rev 1 after skating by the scagedead boss (barely). That entire ordeal was just an absolutely unpleasant, unfun experience in every respect. I hated some of the campaign in RE6, but it wasn't even on that kind of level.

And then I find Super Scagdeads in Raid in this game. Ugh.

I made a dumb mistake, need some advice. I bought chapter's 1 AND 2, without buying the season pass.
Should I keep buying the chapters one at a time, or would it be cheaper to buy the season pass to get all the content at this point, even though I just screwed myself out of $6?
What cha think guys?
If the next 2 chapters are $6, and the 2 extra chaps are $6 each... then I should go season pass, but who knows if the extra chapters will be priced the same or what?

Lucent

I made a dumb mistake, need some advice. I bought chapter's 1 AND 2, without buying the season pass.
Should I keep buying the chapters one at a time, or would it be cheaper to buy the season pass to get all the content at this point, even though I just screwed myself out of $6?
What cha think guys?
If the next 2 chapters are $6, and the 2 extra chaps are $6 each... then I should go season pass, but who knows if the extra chapters will be priced the same or what?

I dunno but the $19.99 season pass upgrade is broken on PS4 still.

What does it mean when a character's exp bar is glowing blue on the Raid Mode character select screen?

Also, wasn't Leon supposed to be available in Raid Mode as of episode 2? Is he the one locked behind 20 completionist medals?

What cha think guys?

Yeah, the whole episodic/season pass thing is screwed up. If you buy an episode, they should give you a discount on the season pass. It annoys me that I spent $31 on something that cost $25 just because I wanted to give it a try first.

Seyavesh

this is why i love pedro so much

just gotta tap into the spiral power to overcome all obstacles

plus he gets fire and ice grenades really early to help shred their health

seriously his skillset is incredible- crouch power, crouch invin, shield, shotgun/rifle mastery, fire/ice/decoy(?) nades

edit:
and the giga drill breakerrrrr

the damage is listed way wrong on whatever it says btw, at full hits it does a ton

Neiteio

this is why i love pedro so much

just gotta tap into the spiral power to overcome all obstacles

plus he gets fire and ice grenades really early to help shred their health

seriously his skillset is incredible- crouch power, crouch invin, shield, shotgun/rifle mastery, fire/ice/decoy(?) nades
Plus, he's named Pedro!

Lucent

What does it mean when a character's exp bar is glowing blue on the Raid Mode character select screen?

Also, wasn't Leon supposed to be available in Raid Mode as of episode 2? Is he the one locked behind 20 completionist medals?

Yeah, the whole episodic/season pass thing is screwed up. If you buy an episode, they should give you a discount on the season pass. It annoys me that I spent $31 on something that cost $25 just because I wanted to give it a try first.

There is a $19.99 option to get everything after you buy the first episode but you can only access it within the game, not the Playstation store. But it's currently broken. I haven't been able to access the 2nd episode still.

Nemesis_

Oh people are hating the scagdead?
I thought we were talking about this guy, I personally hate him more.
Revelations-Boss-Fight.jpg

has he shown up yet in Rev 2?

Well

he doesn't

Even more of a decrease of Ada's chances to being added in Raid mode.. *cries a river*

For the campaign?

Campaign.

There is a $19.99 option to get everything after you buy the first episode but you can only access it within the game, not the Playstation store. But it's currently broken. I haven't been able to access the 2nd episode still.

I guess I'll wait and see if it gets fixed by ep 3, or just get it ep by ep and spend extra.
I don't really mind, this game's worth more than $30 anyways.

Finaika

Just finished Episode 1, thinking of replaying it to get better grades before Episode 2.

Do I get to keep all the items/guns/herbs/ammo at the start? What if I decide to play Episode 2 halfway?

Chris_IWS

This is the rest mode that you see mentioned in the top right status bar from time to time. As you play, unused characters enter rest mode, and earn that much extra experience on your next play through a level with them. It increases the more you leave that character unused, and I assume is meant to encourage you to try out different characters. Haven't been playing too much, but everybody I've used, I've kept fairly close level-wise thanks to this system.

Alright I never played RE:RV1 so what is the strategy for those giant blob things with the big circular saw? (Skagdead?) They are incredibly annoying in any raid stage they are in - and at best take forever to kill. And what was up with that daily mission where everything was speedy? Yech.

I'm also looking for Hunk weapon loadouts and modifications. The guy is an absolute boss, but I am not experienced with upgrading the weapons and find myself creating weapons that just don't work - which is a shame considering he can tote 4 around. I built these beastly guns but usually just end up using the same assault rifle and sniper rifle. The fact that ARs pierce and Hunk carries a huge ammo supply for them with his skill means I usually gravitate around those, but I don't know what the big differences are between ARs and elemental ammo likewise.

Just finished Episode 1, thinking of replaying it to get better grades before Episode 2.

Do I get to keep all the items/guns/herbs/ammo at the start? What if I decide to play Episode 2 halfway?

Everything you get in one playthrough carries over to the next. So it could be like stuff you get in episode 1 -> replay episode 1 -> episode 2 per character. I don't know what would happen if you stopped playing in the middle of Claire's section in episode 1 and then started episode 2, but I would assume that it only carries over the stuff you had when you completed it the first time.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well lol.

^
I'm not sure about what to do as Hunk, but I find the best way to beat them is to freeze them (as with any enemy). I use Claire and she has the ice bottles, but I assume that weapons modified with ice ammo would also be helpful. Basically you just need something to get them to stop pursuing you while you can shoot at them.

Finaika

Everything you get in one playthrough carries over to the next. So it could be like stuff you get in episode 1 -> replay episode 1 -> episode 2 per character. I don't know what would happen if you stopped playing in the middle of Claire's section in episode 1 and then started episode 2, but I would assume that it only carries over the stuff you had when you completed it the first time.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well lol.

Awesome. Thanks.

FLAguy954

My brother and I pretty much focused on inheriting Cipher's katana and when we did....

s3ou1t.gif

Any enemy that wasn't charged with an element got rekt. We pretty much completed our mission just with melee attacks. And since your melee damage gradually scales to your character's level, we were doing 5,000-15,000 damage depending on the enemy (my Hunk is lv. 71 and my brother's Leon 52) The katana also replaces a character's normal finishers if anyone was wondering (it is amazing so the trade-off is worth it).

All of this was on katana lv 3, imagine katana maxed out on a high level character...

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

And here I though it was just a coincidence that I lost the will to play Rev 1 after skating by the scagedead boss (barely). That entire ordeal was just an absolutely unpleasant, unfun experience in every respect. I hated some of the campaign in RE6, but it wasn't even on that kind of level.

And then I find Super Scagdeads in Raid in this game. Ugh.

If still haven't completed RER1, there are only 4 scagdeads in the entire game, one of which you can run past. There is an encounter with 2 scagdeads later on though but if you spam grenades and physical attacks it's fine (and keep running around the fountain, go anywhere else and they'll corner you).

Seyavesh

Alright I never played RE:RV1 so what is the strategy for those giant blob things with the big circular saw? (Skagdead?) They are incredibly annoying in any raid stage they are in - and at best take forever to kill. And what was up with that daily mission where everything was speedy? Yech.

I'm also looking for Hunk weapon loadouts and modifications. The guy is an absolute boss, but I am not experienced with upgrading the weapons and find myself creating weapons that just don't work - which is a shame considering he can tote 4 around. I built these beastly guns but usually just end up using the same assault rifle and sniper rifle. The fact that ARs pierce and Hunk carries a huge ammo supply for them with his skill means I usually gravitate around those, but I don't know what the big differences are between ARs and elemental ammo likewise.

their saw is on their right arm, meaning your left side and all their swings are facing to your left side so whenever they're coming at you just begin to mash dodge to the right as long as they're facing towards you to some degree. unfortunately they're still massive bullet sponges but at the very least they won't pose a great danger to you. the most dangerous they can be is when you're in a very tight hall like DLC stage 2's walkway rings or when they're sped up with an elemental thing. then you're pretty much fucked if you don't have any ice or decoy grenades.

whenever you start getting close shaves pop your skill and just peace out to reload and whatnot because you're in for a long ride with those fuckers

with hunk just having an assault rifle with fire rounds lets him fight in missions 10+ levels above him by the nature of how fire rounds work. my entire leveling strat is dumping everything into assault rifle mastery and destroying everything with fire rounds + extended burn + short range + no recoil/stars because his damage is off the fucking charts with the stacking fire procs, headshots and like 600 assault rifle rounds. the really high proc rate for assault rifle fire rounds alongside the fire damage always scaling to the enemy's level/doing a percentage damage instead of a fixed damage deal means that any enemy, no matter what their traits are will burn under a storm of bullets

besides that i just carry a ice rounds machine pistol to deal with sped up enemies/scagdeads in general (as to not drain my AR round supply) and a rifle and magnum for heavy hitting. a shotgun with tightened cone, short range and crit bonuses also works in lieu of the magnum if you're often finding yourself in positions where you need 'em.

and scagdeads in REV1 weren't really that bad, but they were still insanely boring and shitty enemies. it's just that 1. you could actually stun them by hitting them in their weakpoint and 2. you had 14 grenades to just stun/distract them with so you could unload all your ammo into them

Initially I wanted to wait till the full package comes out, but because of Type-0 and Bloodborne I decided to jump the gun and finish this game before then.

I'm surprised how much I like this weekly episodic formula, it gives me something to look forward to every week. Each half episode fits just nice into my gaming session, and over the rest of the week it also gives me time to let it swirl in my head.

Episodic games are fine when it's a short enough wait, and if it's consistent.

Neiteio

So I'm a Mercs master, S-ranks on every game, etc... But Raid is thoroughly kicking my ass. It's far more challenging than Mercs.

Click here for the brutality I just suffered.

Burning... freezing... shields... explosions... moving weakpoints... All while cornered...

And I have the maxed out health skill. My shield skill is nearly maxed out, as well. O_O

Game isn't lying when you get into "Very Hard" territory.

dellingr

So I'm a Mercs master, S-ranks on every game, etc... But Raid is thoroughly kicking my ass. It's far more challenging than Mercs.

Burning... freezing... shields... explosions... moving weakpoints... All while cornered...

And I have the maxed out health skill. My shield skill is nearly maxed out, as well. O_O

I swear to god this literally happened to me the other day too. Exact same level and enemies. It's so brutal! I hate that level! I kept spamming life crystals in the end.

Manu

I hate that level very, very much.

And the fact that every other daily mission for the last three days has been that level isn't helping.

Neiteio

I swear to god this literally happened to me the other day too. Exact same level and enemies. It's so brutal! I hate that level! I kept spamming life crystals in the end.

I hate that level very, very much.

And the fact that every other daily mission for the last three days has been that level isn't helping.
I think I might try luring the Revenants to the rooftops. (Yes, they climb ladders — I found this out the hard way)

If I can separate the Revenants from the Napads, it should make that level a bit more... doable.

dellingr

I think I might try luring the Revenants to the rooftops. (Yes, they climb ladders — I found this out the hard way)

If I can separate the Revenants from the Napads, it should make that level a bit more... doable.

They can climb ladders!? Yikes. Although luring them to the rooftops sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that out next time.

Top Bottom