• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Jm6Lv.jpg

RE4...which economy? Are the drops weighted more toward ammo or currency? I must know.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The Xtortionist said:
http://i.imgur.com/Jm6Lv.jpg[IMG]

RE4...which economy? Are the drops weighted more toward ammo or currency? I must know.[/QUOTE]
The same economy that's been in every version except the GCN original. If it's not I'll eat my cat.

Koyuga

luka said:
The same economy that's been in every version except the GCN original. If it's not I'll eat my cat.
Kind of a shame about that, Gamecube version's economy felt like the best balance to me.

x3sphere

No 60fps, no AA = no buy

Was hoping this would be the definitive version of RE4 but as it stands , there is no reason for me to get this considering I can emulate the Wii version in full 1080p.

TUROK

One thing I'm curious about is whether the EMBM (environment-mapped bump mapping) from the Gamecube version is intact in this one. It's a relatively antiquated shader, so I'm curious if there wasn't any oversights in regard to its implementation.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, picture the slimyness from Salazar's plant form.

StuBurns

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
On PS3 at least. We don't know if it exists in the 360 version.
Yeah, good point, although regardless it doesn't seem like they were given the attention they deserved.

ConradCervantes said:
Guess I'm buying RE4: Wii Edition if I get the hankering to replay it. Not putting $20 in my PSN wallet for some slimy turd.

RE4 Wii looks like complete ass on both my HDTVs. Lack of AA (game isn't overly jaggy to begin with) and the occasional slowdown (I'm buying on 360 so we'll see) or no, the image clarity makes it more than worth it imo. Unless you have a TV it actually looks good on. That or Dolphin.

Prime Blue said:
New age where people like 60fps and others don't, and every member respects different opinions. *shrugs*
60FPS is objectively better. Next you will be telling me you don't want AA in games because the lack of AA makes it "grittier". I was playing Mindjack on my PS3 earlier, if you want a game running at "cinematic" 24 fps with no AA play that game. What a mediocre port of RE4 this is. Dunno if I will get.

onken

The Xtortionist said:
http://i.imgur.com/Jm6Lv.jpg[IMG]

RE4...which economy? Are the drops weighted more toward ammo or currency? I must know.[/QUOTE]

How do I tell? Drops seem about even.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, did RE4 Wii have any slowdowns?

onken

The Xtortionist said:
If you're not getting flooded with ammo then it's probably the PS2 economy. And that's fine, I was just curious.

Just playing now, hmm does seem like quite a lot of ammo.

Just got home with my copy

Let's see how horrible it looks :p

I'll be fine as long as it plays better than the PoP HD remake. Talk about a complete mess.

Curufinwe

The Leon Avatar outfit costs 320 MSP which is $4, but I got it anyway. It looks a million times better than the Chris outfit it's next to in the RE 5 store and I get plenty of free points thru Bing Rewards, so I don't feel ashamed for spending that much money on a 200 KB file.

Not too ashamed.

I saw some people saying that RE4 looks quite bad.

I only played about 10 minutes of it so far but it looks really good to me.

If anyone is wondering I'm playing on a 42" Panasonic Plasma/HDMI with 5.1.

No issues on my end so far.

One thing though, is there any possible way to get the game menus and whatnot in english? I thought maybe it would go to the systems default language but it seems to be strictly japanese. Anyone know if there is a way around this?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What version are you playing fart town? PS3 or 360?

demigod said:
I'm pretty sure GC and Wii had some slowdowns, especially the chapter with Leon and Johnny Depp in the house.

I see, didn't really notice them though.

Here's direct-feed video comparisons:

Xbox 360 one was not recorded in HD, so don't bother using anything bigger than 360p. Overall, Xbox 360 seems to have the better lighting (you can still see something in darker areas, whereas everything's totally black in the PS3 version).

cvxfreak said:
Didn't have any problems with RE5, for the record.
I remember comparison screenshots where the PS3 version was a bit worse (a bit blurrier, water in swamp area lacked mirror effects).

MTMBStudios said:
60FPS is objectively better.
Subjectively I don't like it.

jett

D-Member
increasing framerate to 60fps and adding move support: WE'D HAVE TO REBUILD THE ENTIRE GAME FROM THE GROUND UP

completely replacing the lighting engine in CVX: oh no problem at all!

capcom you so silly

Chinner

Banned
Prime Blue said:
Xbox 360 one was not recorded in HD, so don't bother using anything bigger than 360p. Overall, Xbox 360 seems to have the better lighting (you can still see something in darker areas, whereas everything's totally black in the PS3 version).
isn't that just a contrast thing? seems to be a running theme in x360/ps3 videos.

ULTROS!

I've been noticing that CVX is "dark" in the Youtube videos. Is the game really that "dark" in the PS3 and 360 versions (for those who are playing it right now)?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't see anything in the PS3 footage of Code Veronica... it's so... dark.

lol, and trophy notifications are particularly out of place and annoying.

damn that's nice

ok there's not really any useful info in the op im just being hoenst but it looks nice but i wanna know about this new lighting engine

edit:someone help please

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Persona7 said:
RE4 HD sounds like a hack job.
I beg to differ.

It is the best looking official version of the game, far and away. There have been two base versions of RE4 available; the Gamecube version and the PS2 version.

This is the first time the GC code has been ported to an entirely different platform. The PC version is based on the PS2 version so, even with mods, all of the cutscenes are low resolution video clips and the game itself is lacking some of the visual refinements (even WITH mods).

The only other alternative is Dolphin running the Wii or GC version. Unfortunately, playing a game on Dolphin is never a truly polished, hitch free experience.

So, really, if you want to experience the proper version of RE4, this is really your best best.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
dark10x said:
I beg to differ.

It is the best looking official version of the game, far and away. There have been two base versions of RE4 available; the Gamecube version and the PS2 version.

This is the first time the GC code has been ported to an entirely different platform. The PC version is based on the PS2 version so, even with mods, all of the cutscenes are low resolution video clips and the game itself is lacking some of the visual refinements (even WITH mods).

The only other alternative is Dolphin running the Wii or GC version. Unfortunately, playing a game on Dolphin is never a truly polished, hitch free experience.

So, really, if you want to experience the proper version of RE4, this is really your best best.

Having the game in actual widescreen is also going to make a far bigger difference than people seem to realize. Shitty Wii video output + stretching the image out on your TV in "widescreen mode" = an ugly fucking mess.

Mithos

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Patch in MOVE support for PS3 please, AND make it work like the Wii version (not like Re5).

Ahh, who am I kidding, will most likely get RE4 HD on PS3 anyways.

dark10x

StuBurns said:
Being the best version, doesn't also stop it being a hack job.
The fact that they went back to the original version and ported that code suggests to me that this was more than a hack job. The PC version? Now THAT was a true hack job.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
The fact that they went back to the original version and ported that code suggests to me that this was more than a hack job. The PC version? Now THAT was a true hack job.
True, but come on, no AA, 720p and with slowdown? These machines should completely destroy this game. Not even MLAA? There's no way they didn't have the bandwidth for it.

gogogow

It seems Kojima Productions are doing a much better job with their HD collections line. Running at 60fps, Platinum trophies are really awesome additions, any word on AA?

dark10x

StuBurns said:
True, but come on, no AA, 720p and with slowdown? These machines should completely destroy this game. Not even MLAA? There's no way they didn't have the bandwidth for it.
Oh, I agree it could have been a much better port, but I don't think it was a lazy hack either. They definitely had to put some time into porting the original code over. They could have taken the laziest route and just grabbed the PC code that was based on the PS2 version and called it a day.

dark10x said:
I beg to differ.

This

dark10x said:
Oh, I agree it could have been a much better port, but I don't think it was a lazy hack either. They definitely had to put some time into porting the original code over. They could have taken the laziest route and just grabbed the PC code that was based on the PS2 version and called it a day.
'Exactly

This shit isn't free kids. No one is entitled to anything. Company needs to allocate budget, pull people away from other projects (if this was indeed internal), etc.

Andrefpvs

Unless the trophy system works in stupid ways, I don't see how adding a Platinum would take more than 10 minutes.

Curufinwe

$15 titles like Dead Space Extraction have Platinums, so it's weird that these games won't. I don't personally mind since I'm getting RE 4 HD on the 360 where it will be only my third 1000/1000 game after AC 2 and Bayonetta.

CODE:Veronica info updated.

AgentOtaku said:
This shit isn't free kids. No one is entitled to anything. Company needs to allocate budget, pull people away from other projects (if this was indeed internal), etc.
I love how they completely revamped CODE:Veronica to run on the MT Framework engine. Had they put in higher-resolution FMVs, this would have been a no-brainer for me.

gogogow said:
It seems Kojima Productions are doing a much better job with their HD collections line. Running at 60fps, Platinum trophies are really awesome additions, any word on AA?
You'll have to consider that Konami doesn't have nearly as much high-profile material going on as Capcom, though. Metal Gear is pretty much their only active series. If you look for in-house-developed Konami games, you'll mostly find arcade stuff.

Capcom has Resident Evil Revelations, Street Fighter X Tekken, Monster Hunter Tri G, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Dragon's Dogma, and they're helping out with Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and DmC Devil May Cry. And that's not counting unannounced titles such as Resident Evil 6.

jackdoe

AgentOtaku said:
'Exactly

Funny how Bluepoint Games can do much more than Capcom has done for relatively the same budget (as their product costs the same to the consumer). And if it was indeed done internally, then I truly don't understand Capcom. Outsource their big projects while developing an HD port internally?

jackdoe said:
Funny how Bluepoint Games can do much more than Capcom has done for relatively the same budget (as their product costs the same to the consumer). And if it was indeed done internally, then I truly don't understand Capcom. Outsource their big projects while developing an HD port internally?

Hey, I ain't saying it makes sense. It is what it is. We could have gotten alot worse.

Psi

AgentOtaku said:
Hey, I ain't saying it makes sense. It is what it is. We could have gotten alot worse.

They probably figured with the popularity of RE4 they didn't have to put as much effort in for it to sell.

jackdoe

AgentOtaku said:
True. But we could have gotten a lot better as well for the same cost as Bluepoint games and Ready at Dawn (which is the closer example) have shown. They could have tweaked a couple of textures that didn't work in HD at the least (I don't see them pulling a Ready at Dawn and completely tweaking character models) and if they were going for 30 fps, then they could have thrown in 3D as well.

ULTROS!

jackdoe said:

Actually, God of War I and II PS3 had 4:3 "SD" resolution cutscenes, just saying.

cvxfreak said:
It was really jarring. I'll have to see if this is present in the 360 version.

I'm getting this weird feeling this was in the Wii version too, but no one else on Twitter has recognized slowdown in this area from a previous version, so I can't say for sure.

RE4 Wii had absolutely no slowdown at all (just played through it again about a week ago, so It's fresh in my mind). The GCN original had some very minor slowdown in a few places (the area with the first merchant comes to mind), but the Wii version completely eliminated the slowdown.

It's disappointing to hear that the framerate isn't perfect in this version, but even the GOW collection had a little bit of slowdown (and GOW Origins has a bit of slowdown and screen tearing too when running in 1080p). So long as it's nothing major, I see no reason to get worked up about it.

I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as the POP HD collection, now that was a complete mess!

Top Bottom