• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Curufinwe

That's great news, and you sound rather confident about the US version not being censored...are you the same guy who confirmed that The Mercenaries will have online leaderboards?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jimmy Stav said:
I have what most would probably consider to be a stupid question--the answer of which will help me decide which version I'm getting.

Is there a difference in image quality/clarity when playing a game via component cables vs. HDMI? My PS3 is quiet, plugged in (it's the only console that I keep out, as desk space is limited and I use it to watch movies), and displays it's image via HDMI. The 360, on the other hand, is loud, old, and uses component cables. I still feel inclined to buy these games on 360 despite logic and good sense indicating otherwise.

There is nothing in this post to recommend the 360 version over PS3. Is this an achievement thing ruining your rational process?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
_dementia said:
I'd like to know this as well.
Since every version of the game released after the original had the updated economy, I'd assume it's the new one.

StuBurns said:
Move doesn't break it, but aiming with the right stick would? No. If that game was designed today it would have had aim on the right stick, as SotD and Vanquish do.

I've never understood the love for the Wii version, yes, you can aim easier, the whole concept of the game was the tension in having to aim the way it does. It was perfect as it was.
Absolutely. Pointer controls nullified the entire distance factor to aiming, meaning you don't have to worry about stability and any items like weapon stocks that offer a trade-off between added stability and inventory space as a mechanic were broken. It turns it into a game of point and click.

I'm not one to say "options are bad! rawr!" but people should really try to appreciate the game as it is supposed to be.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Here's a question that only I am going to ask: Can you still aim with the d-pad?

edit: according to the controller diagram in a youtube video, the answer is yes.

luka said:
Since every version of the game released after the original had the updated economy, I'd assume it's the new one.

Absolutely. Pointer controls nullified the entire distance factor to aiming, meaning you don't have to worry about stability and any items like weapon stocks that offer a trade-off between added stability and inventory space as a mechanic were broken. It turns it into a game of point and click.

I'm not one to say "options are bad! rawr!" but people should really try to appreciate the game as it is supposed to be.
Yup! It was fun to blow through the Wii version to get to the extra stuff but the original controls were the way to go for a first play through.

The red 9 was 6.5 in ps2 and 5 in gc
Black Tail was 4.5 and 3.4 in gc.
Bolt action was 30 in Ps2 and 18 in gc (it likes a mini magnum, But it fires slower)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Krauser Kat said:
The red 9 was 6.5 in ps2 and 5 in gc
Black Tail was 4.5 and 3.4 in gc.
Bolt action was 30 in Ps2 and 18 in gc (it likes a mini magnum, But it fires slower)

I stand corrected. I could have sworn that the Red 9 upgraded to a 5.0 in my PS2 version after the Bonus Upgrade.

mikeeb13

Banned
Curufinwe said:
That's great news, and you sound rather confident about the US version not being censored...are you the same guy who confirmed that The Mercenaries will have online leaderboards?
I've been playing it for a while now and enjoying the exploding head action trust me lol

Mercenaries unfortunately won't have online capabilities... there are leaderboards for both games, but it's for the campaigns scores

I will also echo everyone esle. I will pay 20 bucks to play this shit again. I hope i can get my time under 2:30 this time. I think my last wii playthrough was 2:55

Curufinwe

Oh, that really sucks about The Mercenaries but it's good to know in advance. Thanks.

I guess I'll just run thru it to get the handcannon rather than trying to beat my old GameCube high scores then.

fernoca

jsnepo said:
I'm curious about the Separate Ways. Will it use GC assets and are the cutscenes going to be in real time?
Guess so.
If anything, see this as the Wii version ; but without pointer controls and upscaled to "HD".
Wii Edition had all the content of the PS2, but the visuals of the Gamecube version.

Unless I'm remembering wrong. :p

Question though:
You need to install the PS3-retail version; is it the same with the retail-360 version?

jsnepo

fernoca said:
Guess so.
If anything, see this as the Wii version ; but without pointer controls and upscaled to "HD".
Wii Edition had all the content of the PS2, but the visuals of the Gamecube version.

Unless I'm remembering wrong. :p

Oh the Wii version did? If yes, then I'm sure this version will have it too except for the pointer controls obviously.

Jimmy Stav said:
Strange, is this the first instance of this happening on an XBLA release?
It's not XBLA. RE4 and RECV fall under GoD.

They will be the 2nd and 3rd game that is released as GoD directly without a retail release, which still allows them to have the full 1000 points.

x3sphere said:
Does CVX run 60 FPS?
Resident Evil is a 30fps series (thank god).

jsnepo said:
I'm curious about the Separate Ways. Will it use GC assets and are the cutscenes going to be in real time?
Judging from the install size, the Separate Ways cutscenes won't be in real-time (same goes for mafia Leon and possibly RPD Leon, which are unlikely to appear in cutscenes).

Mr_Zombie

fernoca said:
Guess so.

Wasn't Wii Edition using prerecorded cut-scenes from PS2 for Separate Ways though?
Also, IIRC there was some bitching about Separate Ways (and only this scenario) using PS2 assets (even herbs) when the game was released on Wii, but I'm not sure right now.

GrayFoxPL said:
So is MGS yet hd releases are bumped to 60fps. Capcom could do the same while leaving the game speed intact.

MGS2 was 60fps on PS2. It had tearing though. They dropped to 30fps for MGS3 although it often ran much lower.

Capcom are just fucking lazy. RE4 HD should of been absolutely epic, but it seems its a very quick and dirty conversion.

GrayFoxPL said:
So is MGS yet hd releases are bumped to 60fps.
I hate 60fps. The fluidity makes any game look cheap. Never could understand why everyone finds 60fps better.

KennyLinder said:
Capcom are just fucking lazy. RE4 HD should of been absolutely epic, but it seems its a very quick and dirty conversion.
Easiest solution: no purchase.

fernoca

Mr_Zombie said:
Wasn't Wii Edition using prerecorded cut-scenes from PS2 for Separate Ways though?
Also, IIRC there was some bitching about Separate Ways (and only this scenario) using PS2 assets (even herbs) when the game was released on Wii, but I'm not sure right now.
Yeah, I'm not so sure. Wondered about it in here, looked around online, asked a few friends with all versions..and none of them have a clue. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
mikeeb13 said:
I've been playing it for a while now and enjoying the exploding head action trust me lol

Mercenaries unfortunately won't have online capabilities... there are leaderboards for both games, but it's for the campaigns scores

I don't care at all about leaderboards but it makes zero sense to me that they'd make one for the campaign but not for the mode based on high scoring.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Prime Blue said:
I hate 60fps. The fluidity makes any game look cheap. Never could understand why everyone finds 60fps better.

Because once upon a time games weren't movies. They were based on action, and action is better at 60fps, objectively. Surely you underestimate your capacity for understanding.

Don't take this to mean I wish RE4 HD was running 60fps, because I don't care. It was amazing at 30, and it's going to be amazing still.

BigAT

What is the general consensus on how Code Veronica holds up as a game? I've never played it before and I'm wondering if it will be enjoyable to play in 2011 with no nostalgia factor.

Of course RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time so I'll probably be buying this regardless, but I'm interested to know.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BigAT said:
What is the general consensus on how Code Veronica holds up as a game? I've never played it before and I'm wondering if it will be enjoyable to play in 2011 with no nostalgia factor.

Of course RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time so I'll probably be buying this regardless, but I'm interested to know.

Code Veronica seems like it was pretty divisive to begin with, so it's unlikely there's a consensus about whether it holds up now. If it makes you feel better there will definitely be people who think it does and love it.

p.s. Breaking Bad owns. It's the RE4 of TV shows.

luka said:
The stock still has some use in the Wii version, your crosshair will jitter a bit even if you keep the Wii remote perfectly still on those weapons. Doesn't end up making to big of an effect though. I went into the Wii version as a controller purist, wanting it as the definitive content version. I gave the Wii controls a shot and couldn't go back to playing it with a traditional controller. It just works so well.

Prime Blue said:

Easiest solution: no purchase.

I fully intend not to. I was thinking both of these would go nicely along side my 4 copies of Code: Veronica and 4 copies of RE4/BH4. Clearly Capcom don't want gamers money. So annoyed about these HD versions, they are a joke.

Now I feel like I'm stalking cvxfreak.

@cvxfreak said:
https://twitter.com/#!/cvxfreak/status/111925596761763841
PS3:
large.jpg

360:
large.jpg

Top Bottom